GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 06:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Early administrative decisions in China’s Ming Dynasty eventually caus

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Economics, Operations
Re: Early administrative decisions in China’s Ming Dynasty eventually caus  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2018, 03:28
Can some one explain me How "Caused" and "and failed" are not logically Parallel.
Would it be something like this :
Early Decisions also failed to make ......
Please correct if i am wrong .
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S
Re: Early administrative decisions in China’s Ming Dynasty eventually caus  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2018, 15:44
Piggu18 Two reasons:

1) The verb doesn't match the subject. Decisions can't fail. People failed because of the decisions.

2) Even if we wanted to match "failed" with "decisions," we'd still need to close out the parallel list first. We can't say "Decisions CAUSED x, y, z, and failed." We need "Decisions CAUSED x, y, and z, AND FAILED."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Current Student
S
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V36
Early administrative decisions in China’s Ming Dynasty eventually caus  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Jan 2019, 02:16
AbdurRakib wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 293

Early administrative decisions in China’s Ming Dynasty eventually caused a drastic fall in tax revenues, a reduction in military preparedness, the collapse of the currency system, and failed to make sufficient investment in vital transportation infrastructure.

(A) the collapse of the currency system, and failed
(B) the collapse of the currency system, and failing
(C) and the collapse of the currency system, also failed
(D) the collapse of the currency system, as well as failing
(E) and the collapse of the currency system, as well as a failure

Hi
Can any expert please help me in this question:

The decisions have failed to make investments in infrastructure.
This sentence is incorrect because it doesnot make sense. Decisions cannot fail. Administration/person can.

The decisions have caused a failure to make investments in infrastructure.
If the above is not logical, why is this sentence correct?
how could decision cause a failure.
This is option E of the above question.

GMATNinja
VeritasKarishma
VeritasPrepBrian
DmitryFarber
chetan2u
nightblade354
egmat
DavidTutorexamPAL
carcass

Originally posted by nitesh50 on 29 Jan 2019, 02:04.
Last edited by nitesh50 on 29 Jan 2019, 02:16, edited 2 times in total.
examPAL Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 02:14
nitesh50 wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 293

Early administrative decisions in China’s Ming Dynasty eventually caused a drastic fall in tax revenues, a reduction in military preparedness, the collapse of the currency system, and failed to make sufficient investment in vital transportation infrastructure.

This sentence is incorrect because it doesnot make sense. Decisions cannot fail. Administration/person can.

GMATNinja
VeritasKarishma
@veritasprepbrain
@DmrityFarber
chetan2u
nightblade354
egmat
DavidTutorexamPAL
carcass

Hi nitesh50
You are right that decisions can't fail, but they definitely can cause a failure.
This is what E tells us.
Early administrative decisions in China’s Ming Dynasty eventually caus  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 02:38
Top Contributor
Hi, maybe is me but I do not consider this a 700 level.

A bit of common sense (which must be kept always by the student during the examination of a question and mainly the reason is the following: these questions are there to test your skills, true. However, they also reflect what is the grammar, the style that evolves in the real world) should suggest you:

Today I washed the car and did chores, as well as I went to the dentist. Lot of stuff

Reading the question piece by piece

Early administrative (just a description) decisions (key point) in China’s Ming Dynasty eventually (inthe end) caused a drastic fall

1) first point: tax revenues,

2) second point: a reduction in military preparedness,

3) third point: and the collapse of the currency system,

4) as well as a failure: the fourth point which is positioned on the same level of importance of the first three.

I do not even spend the time to analyze the options A-B-C. At most to D just of being sure.

Regards

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 11:25
Top Contributor
nitesh50 wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 293

Hi

GMATNinja
VeritasKarishma
VeritasPrepBrian
DmitryFarber
chetan2u
nightblade354
egmat
DavidTutorexamPAL
carcass

Notice that pretty huge difference between the examples you gave. "The decisions have failed to make investments" --> "to make investments" is an active verb. Someone has to make those investments, and decisions cannot actively do that - the decision makers can, but not the decisions.

"The decisions caused a failure" --> that's expressing a cause/effect relationship, which isn't necessarily an active verb situation. "My untied shoelace caused me to trip" doesn't mean that the shoelace actively, consciously tripped me, but I did trip as a result of the shoelace. Just like the failures happened as a result of the decisions, even though the decisions weren't actively choosing the failures (the way that the other option suggests that they were actively making investments).

Curriculum Developer, Instructor, and Host of Veritas Prep On Demand

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2019, 15:50
AbdurRakib wrote:
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 293

Great question with a lot of complex stuff going on. A (somewhat?) effective hack for me esp with tough SC questions is to sort of really focus on what the main subject of the sentence is and take it from there. Often a lot of words are added to confuse us in to forgetting the basics. This was my thought process for this question:

The non-underlined portion is talking about the early DECISIONS taken by Ming Dynasty administrators, its a little subtle I guess but all the elements of the list, the fall in tax revenues, collapse of currency, etc. have been directly caused by the .... DECISIONS

Now you'll see why I am emphasizing this point, the phrase "administrative decisions" (actually administrative is modifying decisions here if you want to be picky) is the subject of the sentence. What ever is happening is "caused" by decisions. Some POE explanations might make this point a little clearer:

(A) the collapse of the currency system, and failed - "Early administrative decisions of the Ming Dynasty....failed to make sufficient investment"? Decisions can't fail to do anything. Decisions don't do anything themselves or you could say they are not the noun that performs the action. Eliminate.
(B) the collapse of the currency system, and failing - Again, the decisions are failing to do something? That is not possible, the decisions can fail in achieving something, but decisions can not logically perform an action. Eliminate
(C) and the collapse of the currency system, also failed - "decisions also failed" same problem, decision cannot fail in of itself, Eliminate.
(D) the collapse of the currency system, as well as failing - "the decisions....(were) failing!?" that is nonsensical, refer to above reasoning please. Eliminate.
(E) and the collapse of the currency system, as well as a failure - much better, decisions cannot perform an action but they can be deemed to be failure. In this case the decisions led to a failure of adequate infrastructure investment and that makes total sense.

E is your answer then.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: General Management (Retail)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2019, 22:22
AbdurRakib wrote:
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 293

Obvious error: Clear parallelism case. it needs to be failure

B: Not parallel. Rejected
C: Not parallel. Rejected
D: Not parallel. Rejected
E: parallel. Corrects the error
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Early administrative decisions in China’s Ming Dynasty eventually caus   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2019, 22:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Early administrative decisions in China’s Ming Dynasty eventually caus

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics