Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Modifiersx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20717 [234]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [42]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 543 [18]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [2]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
Re: The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with [#permalink]
Kudos
I think it is C.

(A) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and
(B) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, it
(C) Tunnel,linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,
(D) Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and
(E) Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,

Thanks,
GyM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5651 [4]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Re: The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
GyMrAT wrote:
I think it is C.

(A) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and
(B) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, it
(C) Tunnel,linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,
(D) Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and
(E) Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,

Thanks,
GyM

Just adding in E, problem is that "was". this is not connected properly. Also permitting can modify linked as event is of 1925 and this thing is already done.

C is no doubt best answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [10]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece.

(C) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,

-------------------------------

1. Using of "which" after "highways" means that the first modifies the second.
"Which" can not modify "The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways".
(But it has to be so, because it is logical. Completion of tunnel permitted 2000 cars to pass, not the highways)
It meanss, that A and D are out.
(Moreover: "and" after "hour" in A makes the sentence wrong. There is no clause in this case. We must not put "and" here.)

2. The problem same problem (no clause) is in B. Look at the sentence before ", it"
The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour - there is no verb here - it is wrong.
was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece - independent clause.
So B is out.

3. E is out too because of the same problem
The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece.
"Linked" and then "was hiled" - it is not the sentence. No clause.

4. C is good.
linking, permitting - parallel. No problems with the clause.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.43
Send PM
Kudos
daagh

Hello Sir,

Isn't c modifying the completion instead of the tunnel itself?
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [6]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
(A) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and - PARALLELISM ISSUE, Linking and permitted
(B) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, it - USAGE OF IT is incorrect here. Also Parallelism issue "Linking" "And permitting"
(C) Tunnel,linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, ting- CORRECT Perfect Parallelism "Linking" and "Permitting"
(D) Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and-INCORRECT due to usage of "which" and "and"
(E) Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, - INCORRECT due to parallelism issue "Linked" and "Permitting"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Samak,
Yes. The comma + verbing linking is modifying the completion. If the comma were not there before the participle, then it would modify the tunnel.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [4]
Given Kudos: 329
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 490 Q39 V18
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Lets see why D and E are INORRECT -

Quote:

Notice that in the correct option C we have the two verb-ing modifiers correctly modifying the tunnel. That is, the tunnel links the highways and permits cars to pass through. This makes complete sense and is logical. But in option D we have this meaning distorted. In D the completion itself does the linking and is not logical.
Also notice "which". It is referring to highways. That again is wrong.

Quote:

Again here we have the meaning distorted. Its like the completion of the tunnel itself did the linking. Does that make complete sense? Compare it with C and see how precise and unambigous option C is.

Quote:

The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece.

(C) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
Hi Experts
Kindly, explain why the option E is wrong? I could find 2 reasons but not sure whether any of them are correct?

Core of E: The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey's highways, was hailed as the decade's....

1. Will it be right to say that the above core has two verbs (linked and "was hailed"), thereby it is not correct and requires a conjunction such as FANBOYS or a relative pronoun such as "that"?

2. Or the analysis that the second part (was hailed as the decade's....) is sentence fragment due to absence of a subject is right

I rejected C as "linking" is modifying the preceding clause action and the completion cannot link but the tunnel has to as would be suggested by E through usage of "linked".

Kindly, assist.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [6]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
MAnkur wrote:
Hi Experts
Kindly, explain why the option E is wrong? I could find 2 reasons but not sure whether any of them are correct?

Core of E: The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey's highways, was hailed as the decade's....

1. Will it be right to say that the above core has two verbs (linked and "was hailed"), thereby it is not correct and requires a conjunction such as FANBOYS or a relative pronoun such as "that"?

2. Or the analysis that the second part (was hailed as the decade's....) is sentence fragment due to absence of a subject is right

I rejected C as "linking" is modifying the preceding clause action and the completion cannot link but the tunnel has to as would be suggested by E through usage of "linked".

Kindly, assist.

Quote:
(E) The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece.

Your first explanation looks good! Stripping out some of the modifiers, (E) reads: "The completion of the Holland Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways... was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece." This is a nonsensical diaper fire: "The completion linked was hailed." Huh??

Also, (E) implies that the completion linked Manhattan with New Jersey's highways. But the completion itself didn't link anything -- the TUNNEL linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways.

I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
MAnkur wrote:
Hi Experts

Kindly, assist.

Quote:
(E) The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece.

Your first explanation looks good! Stripping out some of the modifiers, (E) reads: "The completion of the Holland Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways... was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece." This is a nonsensical diaper fire: "The completion linked was hailed." Huh??

Also, (E) implies that the completion linked Manhattan with New Jersey's highways. But the completion itself didn't link anything -- the TUNNEL linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways.

I hope this helps!

GMATNinja
Thanks for the clarification!
But as you rightly pointed that E seems to say that completion linked, won't B or C when seen in isolation also seems to indicate the same. linking and permitting modifies the action of the preceding clause and applies to the subject....thereby completion seems to link and permit and not Tunnel even in options B and C...so how is C right?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
MAnkur wrote:
rishabhmishra wrote:
hazelnut wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2019

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 228
VR Code : SC01639

The Emergence of Metropolitan American 1915-1966 - Page 49

https://books.google.com.my/books?id=Vreuvrna0-QC
Blake McKelvey - 1968

The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey's highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, was hailed as the decade's $48 million engineering masterpiece; An Outburst of ...

Please help me i have a doubt that ,ing such as tunnel, Linking work as modifier that use to modify whole previous clause so this usage is incorrect here and the usage of parallelism permitting is also incorrect according to me because we can't do parallelism between verb and modifier. So my doubt is why correct answer is having coma before linking and it must not be linking, if we want to do parallelism with permitting, it must be linked. Please help me in finding my mistake
secondly i thought E is correct as tunnel linking lead to permitting 2000 cars to pass through as ,ing modify whole previous clause not just tunnel and was is used for tunnel Please help me.

Hi Rishabh
In my understanding E is incorrect as there are two verbs linked and was for a single subject completion. On the other hand linking and permitting are parallel and both seem to modify the result of the preceding clause The completion in 1925 of the Hooland Tunnel, this is true in both option B and C, but in option B there is no verb for the first clause and it's a sentence fragment. A and D are incorrect on account of incorrect usage of and, which.

Thanks for you reply but 1st thing linked is not necessary a verb it can be ed modifier and If linking is a modifier then permitting can't be parallel to this as we have two modifiers ing and ed if we use both ing then one became modifier and other became verb please refer to this example it will help you what i am saying:- https://gmatclub.com/forum/scientists-h ... -9394.html
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [5]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rishabhmishra wrote:
MAnkur wrote:
Hi Rishabh
In my understanding E is incorrect as there are two verbs linked and was for a single subject completion. On the other hand linking and permitting are parallel and both seem to modify the result of the preceding clause The completion in 1925 of the Hooland Tunnel, this is true in both option B and C, but in option B there is no verb for the first clause and it's a sentence fragment. A and D are incorrect on account of incorrect usage of and, which.

Thanks for you reply but 1st thing linked is not necessary a verb it can be ed modifier and If linking is a modifier then permitting can't be parallel to this as we have two modifiers ing and ed if we use both ing then one became modifier and other became verb please refer to this example it will help you what i am saying:- https://gmatclub.com/forum/scientists-h ... -9394.html

Sorry, I'm probably way too late to solve any of the doubts for rishabhmishra or MAnkur, but I'll post some thoughts anyway, just in case they help somebody.

In choice (E), "linked" is definitely a verb, not a modifier. Sure, "linked" can function as a modifier, i.e.: "Manhattan and New Jersey, linked together by various bridges and tunnels, share a common transportation agency."

But in choice (E), what does "linked" modify? The completion? The Holland Tunnel? Neither of those would make any sense. There is no question that "linked" is a verb here, since it's an action performed by the subject "completion." The completion linked the two states.

And that leads to the issues mentioned by MAnkur (discussed in this post).

MAnkur wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
MAnkur wrote:
Hi Experts

Kindly, assist.

Quote:

I hope this helps!

GMATNinja
Thanks for the clarification!
But as you rightly pointed that E seems to say that completion linked, won't B or C when seen in isolation also seems to indicate the same. linking and permitting modifies the action of the preceding clause and applies to the subject....thereby completion seems to link and permit and not Tunnel even in options B and C...so how is C right?

Great point! In (C), "linking" and "permitting" do both modify "the completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel" (which, by the way, is not a clause, since it doesn't have a verb). So I may have jumped the gun in adding that point to the explanation of (E). The important thing in choice (E), as you said, is that "the completion linked was hailed" cannot be right. The point about the "completion" doing the "linking" was an afterthought, but, in retrospect, not an accurate one.

Before the tunnel was completed, the two things were not linked. After the completion, they were linked. So there is nothing wrong with suggesting that the "completion" linked the two things.

(Also: I see that I used the expression "nonsensical diaper fire" in an earlier post. That's unfortunate. Apologies for the grisly image.) :facepalm_man:

Thanks for keeping us on our toes!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Dear AnthonyRitz GMATNinja GMATGuruNY MartyTargetTestPrep AjiteshArun,

I have some questions on the correct option:
Quote:
The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece.

Q1. Is the subject "the COMPLETION in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel" the doer for COMMA + V-ING modifier "linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour"?

Q2. How does the subject of this sentence make sense with the main verb? (i.e. how can COMPLETION be hailed as masterpiece? Shouldn't it be the tunnel itself that was engineering masterpiece?)

Originally posted by kornn on 12 May 2020, 07:12.
Last edited by kornn on 05 Jul 2020, 03:32, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos