GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 08 Dec 2019, 01:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with N

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge
The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with N  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2019, 04:14
Setback wrote:
daagh wrote:
No doubt, C is the best answer among the lot. However, it is somewhat difficult to take the style of writing in all the choices that the tunnel's completion was a masterpiece rather than the tunnel itself.

Sir, can you please explain how come comma + verb-ing modifier (linking) has been safely placed after the noun, "tunnel" , and still deemed acceptable?
Isn't a better version would have been if the whole verb-ing modifier phrase were placed before "The completion in 1925....." ?

and i think last E option can be correct if it have "and" before permitting, such as official question:- https://gmatclub.com/forum/scientists-h ... -9394.html
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge
Re: The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with N  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2019, 04:21
torto wrote:
Hi Expert,

According to modifier rules comma + ing should refer to the preceding clause, here I m assuming it is completion. That case, Is it not better we use verb ed modifier which can modify preceding noun.

I am sure there are other errors such as usage of which in the statement, Given everything else is same and we have to pick just based on ing and ed modifiers, which one do we choose?

How do we figure out if we are talking about tunnel or completion? How do we decide on that?

Brother, I have same problem in this question unfortunately according to me all options are incorrect because of modifier and i think option e can be corrected if it has and before permitting. such as this example:- https://gmatclub.com/forum/scientists-h ... -9394.html . but i think we need to forget about modifier in this question. and work on other things
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)
The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with N  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 May 2019, 06:11
Top Contributor
Rishab, Do you mean that the below-given version would be correct with 'and' inserted before permitting? I feel it will be unparallel around,' and' ' with a clause on one side and a modifier phrase on the other

Quote:
(E) Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,

Originally posted by daagh on 02 May 2019, 04:52.
Last edited by daagh on 02 May 2019, 06:11, edited 2 times in total.
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with N  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2019, 05:06
Top Contributor
It is not clear from the wording whether the tunnel itself was a masterpiece or the construction was a masterpiece. Perhaps the design was so novel that the tunnel itself was a masterpiece or the underwater construction was so tough that the construction itself was a masterpiece.

However, in modifications whether adjectival or adverbial, the subjects take a crucial role. Therefore, we must take that the linking is modifying the construction rather than the tunnel. If the author wanted 'linking' to modify the tunnel, she would have certainly dropped the comma before the participle.
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2019, 05:59
No doubt, C is the best answer among the lot. However, it is somewhat difficult to take the style of writing in all the choices that the tunnel's completion was a masterpiece rather than the tunnel itself.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2019, 09:26
Hi Experts
Kindly, explain why the option E is wrong? I could find 2 reasons but not sure whether any of them are correct?

Core of E: The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey's highways, was hailed as the decade's....

1. Will it be right to say that the above core has two verbs (linked and "was hailed"), thereby it is not correct and requires a conjunction such as FANBOYS or a relative pronoun such as "that"?

2. Or the analysis that the second part (was hailed as the decade's....) is sentence fragment due to absence of a subject is right

I rejected C as "linking" is modifying the preceding clause action and the completion cannot link but the tunnel has to as would be suggested by E through usage of "linked".

Kindly, assist.
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2019, 21:19
(C) Tunnel, the tunnel linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,

Here I understand that linking and permitting is modifying the tunnel and the sentence uses an absolute phrase correctly here.
I have re-written the option C, inserting "the tunnel" between comma and linking.

Please give kudos if my understanding is correct.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2019, 22:50
The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece.

(A) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and

: IMO, there is pronoun ambiguity error. Pronoun "which" does not have clear antecedent. It is modifying the closed noun "New Jersey's highways", however, it has to modify the far placed noun "the Holland Tunnel".

(B) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, it

:IMO, there is subject-verb agreement error. The subject "Completion" does not have verb.

(C) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,

:IMO, this is the best option among all.

(D) Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and

:IMO, this options has same error as in option A.

(E) Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,

:IMO, this option introduces parallelism error. The verb "linked" and "was" are not connected by "and". Also, this construction changes the intended meaning.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2019, 20:15
MAnkur wrote:
Hi Experts
Kindly, explain why the option E is wrong? I could find 2 reasons but not sure whether any of them are correct?

Core of E: The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey's highways, was hailed as the decade's....

1. Will it be right to say that the above core has two verbs (linked and "was hailed"), thereby it is not correct and requires a conjunction such as FANBOYS or a relative pronoun such as "that"?

2. Or the analysis that the second part (was hailed as the decade's....) is sentence fragment due to absence of a subject is right

I rejected C as "linking" is modifying the preceding clause action and the completion cannot link but the tunnel has to as would be suggested by E through usage of "linked".

Kindly, assist.

Quote:
(E) The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece.

Your first explanation looks good! Stripping out some of the modifiers, (E) reads: "The completion of the Holland Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways... was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece." This is a nonsensical diaper fire: "The completion linked was hailed." Huh??

Also, (E) implies that the completion linked Manhattan with New Jersey's highways. But the completion itself didn't link anything -- the TUNNEL linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways.

I hope this helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2019, 21:45
GMATNinja wrote:
MAnkur wrote:
Hi Experts

Kindly, assist.

Quote:
(E) The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece.

Your first explanation looks good! Stripping out some of the modifiers, (E) reads: "The completion of the Holland Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways... was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece." This is a nonsensical diaper fire: "The completion linked was hailed." Huh??

Also, (E) implies that the completion linked Manhattan with New Jersey's highways. But the completion itself didn't link anything -- the TUNNEL linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways.

I hope this helps!

GMATNinja
Thanks for the clarification!
But as you rightly pointed that E seems to say that completion linked, won't B or C when seen in isolation also seems to indicate the same. linking and permitting modifies the action of the preceding clause and applies to the subject....thereby completion seems to link and permit and not Tunnel even in options B and C...so how is C right?
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2019, 23:25
hazelnut wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2019

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 228
VR Code : SC01639

The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece.

(A) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and
(B) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, it
(C) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,
(D) Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and
(E) Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,

The Emergence of Metropolitan American 1915-1966 - Page 49

https://books.google.com.my/books?id=Vreuvrna0-QC
Blake McKelvey - 1968

The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey's highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, was hailed as the decade's $48 million engineering masterpiece; An Outburst of ...

Please help me i have a doubt that ,ing such as tunnel, Linking work as modifier that use to modify whole previous clause so this usage is incorrect here and the usage of parallelism permitting is also incorrect according to me because we can't do parallelism between verb and modifier. So my doubt is why correct answer is having coma before linking and it must not be linking, if we want to do parallelism with permitting, it must be linked. Please help me in finding my mistake
secondly i thought E is correct as tunnel linking lead to permitting 2000 cars to pass through as ,ing modify whole previous clause not just tunnel and was is used for tunnel Please help me.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2019, 23:42
rishabhmishra wrote:
hazelnut wrote:

Practice Question

Blake McKelvey - 1968

The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey's highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, was hailed as the decade's $48 million engineering masterpiece; An Outburst of ...

Please help me i have a doubt that ,ing such as tunnel, Linking work as modifier that use to modify whole previous clause so this usage is incorrect here and the usage of parallelism permitting is also incorrect according to me because we can't do parallelism between verb and modifier. So my doubt is why correct answer is having coma before linking and it must not be linking, if we want to do parallelism with permitting, it must be linked. Please help me in finding my mistake
secondly i thought E is correct as tunnel linking lead to permitting 2000 cars to pass through as ,ing modify whole previous clause not just tunnel and was is used for tunnel Please help me.

Hi Rishabh
In my understanding E is incorrect as there are two verbs linked and was for a single subject completion. On the other hand linking and permitting are parallel and both seem to modify the result of the preceding clause The completion in 1925 of the Hooland Tunnel, this is true in both option B and C, but in option B there is no verb for the first clause and it's a sentence fragment. A and D are incorrect on account of incorrect usage of and, which.
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2019, 00:36
MAnkur wrote:
rishabhmishra wrote:
hazelnut wrote:

Practice Question

Blake McKelvey - 1968

Hi Rishabh
In my understanding E is incorrect as there are two verbs linked and was for a single subject completion. On the other hand linking and permitting are parallel and both seem to modify the result of the preceding clause The completion in 1925 of the Hooland Tunnel, this is true in both option B and C, but in option B there is no verb for the first clause and it's a sentence fragment. A and D are incorrect on account of incorrect usage of and, which.

Thanks for you reply but 1st thing linked is not necessary a verb it can be ed modifier and If linking is a modifier then permitting can't be parallel to this as we have two modifiers ing and ed if we use both ing then one became modifier and other became verb please refer to this example it will help you what i am saying:- https://gmatclub.com/forum/scientists-h ... -9394.html
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2019, 01:26
daagh wrote:
Rishab, Do you mean that the below-given version would be correct with 'and' inserted before permitting? I feel it will be unparallel around,' and' ' with a clause on one side and a modifier phrase on the other

Quote:
(E) Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,

How it is nonparallel sir as i am making it parallel with linked which is a modifier and permitting also a modifier same as this example:- https://gmatclub.com/forum/scientists-h ... -9394.html
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 16:45
rishabhmishra wrote:
MAnkur wrote:
Hi Rishabh

Thanks for you reply but 1st thing linked is not necessary a verb it can be ed modifier and If linking is a modifier then permitting can't be parallel to this as we have two modifiers ing and ed if we use both ing then one became modifier and other became verb please refer to this example it will help you what i am saying:- https://gmatclub.com/forum/scientists-h ... -9394.html

Sorry, I'm probably way too late to solve any of the doubts for rishabhmishra or MAnkur, but I'll post some thoughts anyway, just in case they help somebody.

In choice (E), "linked" is definitely a verb, not a modifier. Sure, "linked" can function as a modifier, i.e.: "Manhattan and New Jersey, linked together by various bridges and tunnels, share a common transportation agency."

But in choice (E), what does "linked" modify? The completion? The Holland Tunnel? Neither of those would make any sense. There is no question that "linked" is a verb here, since it's an action performed by the subject "completion." The completion linked the two states.

And that leads to the issues mentioned by MAnkur (discussed in this post).

MAnkur wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
MAnkur wrote:
Hi Experts

Kindly, assist.

Quote:

I hope this helps!

GMATNinja
Thanks for the clarification!
But as you rightly pointed that E seems to say that completion linked, won't B or C when seen in isolation also seems to indicate the same. linking and permitting modifies the action of the preceding clause and applies to the subject....thereby completion seems to link and permit and not Tunnel even in options B and C...so how is C right?

Great point! In (C), "linking" and "permitting" do both modify "the completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel" (which, by the way, is not a clause, since it doesn't have a verb). So I may have jumped the gun in adding that point to the explanation of (E). The important thing in choice (E), as you said, is that "the completion linked was hailed" cannot be right. The point about the "completion" doing the "linking" was an afterthought, but, in retrospect, not an accurate one.

Before the tunnel was completed, the two things were not linked. After the completion, they were linked. So there is nothing wrong with suggesting that the "completion" linked the two things.

(Also: I see that I used the expression "nonsensical diaper fire" in an earlier post. That's unfortunate. Apologies for the grisly image.) :facepalm_man:

Thanks for keeping us on our toes!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with N   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2019, 16:45

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with N

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics