GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Aug 2020, 22:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with N

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with N  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Jul 2020, 02:32
Dear AnthonyRitz GMATNinja GMATGuruNY MartyTargetTestPrep AjiteshArun,

I have some questions on the correct option:
Quote:
The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece.

Q1. Is the subject "the COMPLETION in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel" the doer for COMMA + V-ING modifier "linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour"?

Q2. How does the subject of this sentence make sense with the main verb? (i.e. how can COMPLETION be hailed as masterpiece? Shouldn't it be the tunnel itself that was engineering masterpiece?)

Originally posted by kornn on 12 May 2020, 06:12.
Last edited by kornn on 05 Jul 2020, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
P
Schools: Dartmouth College
Re: The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with N  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2020, 13:18
varotkorn wrote:
I have some questions on the correct option:
Quote:
The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece.

Q1. Is the subject "the COMPLETION in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel" the doer for COMMA + V-ING modifier "linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour"?

According to the OE in the 2020 Verbal Review:
The complex phrase linking...hour modifies the Holland Tunnel and functions parenthetically.
This explanation suggests the following:
After a noun phrase, COMMA + VERBing may serve as a nonessential modifier referring to the immediately preceding noun.

Quote:
Q2. How does the subject of this sentence make sense with the main verb? (i.e. how can COMPLETION be hailed as masterpiece? Shouldn't it be the tunnel itself that was engineering masterpiece?)

The sentence reports that the completion of the Holland Tunnel was hailed as an engineering masterpiece.
It is pointless to debate the logic of this meaning.
The OA to an official SC is -- by definition -- correct.
Regardless, the other options are clearly wrong, leaving C as the best answer.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with N  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2020, 20:14
GMATGuruNY wrote:
After a noun phrase, COMMA + VERBing may serve as a nonessential modifier referring to the immediately preceding noun.

Dear GMATGuruNY,

Thank you for your response :)

Q1. According to your past experience, have you seen any other OA which contains this (IMO, exceptional) usage?
(I've always thought that in the construction "SUBJECT + COMMA + VERBing", VERBing should always refer to the main/core SUBJECT.
Also, I've never seen "COMMA + VERBing" acting like "COMMA + WHICH" as is the case in this question.)

Q2. If "COMMA + VERBing" appears at the end of the sentence, can it refer either 1) to the SUBJECT or 2) to the immediately preceding noun?
(From my limited experience, I've always seen only the former case)
V
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with N  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2020, 06:27
hazelnut wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2019

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 228
VR Code : SC01639

The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and was hailed as the decade’s $48 million engineering masterpiece.

(A) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and
(B) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, it
(C) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,
(D) Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and
(E) Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,

The Emergence of Metropolitan American 1915-1966 - Page 49

https://books.google.com.my/books?id=Vreuvrna0-QC
Blake McKelvey - 1968

The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey's highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, was hailed as the decade's $48 million engineering masterpiece; An Outburst of ...

(A) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and
(B) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour, it
(C) Tunnel, linking Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,
(D) Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, which permitted 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour and
(E) Tunnel linked Manhattan with New Jersey’s highways, permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour,

IMO C
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2020, 00:49
Quote:
The complex phrase linking...hour modifies the Holland Tunnel and functions parenthetically.

Dear RonPurewal DmitryFarber ccooley,

Does explanation by RonPurewal kind of contradicts the OA and OE? (https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 81-75.html)
Quote:
If you have noun + , + __ing, then the __ing describes that initial noun. I.e., if there are other nouns in modifier(s) attached to that noun, then comma + __ing DOES NOT describe those closer nouns.

e.g.,
The father of the two boys, arriving at the courthouse, was xxxxxx.
--> This sentence unambiguously states that the father was arriving at the courthouse.

It's important that the construction work this way, because there aren't very many other modifiers with similar functionality.

G

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2020, 16:34
Hmm, I'd argue that neither approach is quite right. First, noun modifiers do not ALWAYS have to skip over a preceding modifier to modify the main noun. But more importantly, a ", + -ing" modifier is usually an adverbial modifier. It would be odd to use ", linking" as a noun modifier when we could just use "which linked." I'd argue that in this case we're saying it's the completion of the tunnel that linked the two places, and this adverbial modifier is providing the background for the main clause that the completion was considered an engineering masterpiece. All in all, this question and explanation are not the GMAT's finest hour--how can completion be a masterpiece?--but I think we can still reasonably interpret the modifier as an adverbial, and if we DID read it as a noun modifier, we could certainly apply it to the Holland Tunnel.

As for Ron's example, I'd say that "arriving at the courthouse" 100% does not modify father, but rather modifies "was." It's the father's action, so it is perfectly clear who arrived at the courthouse, but this is not a noun modifier.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2020, 18:29
Dear DmitryFarber
DmitryFarber wrote:
I'd argue that in this case we're saying it's the completion of the tunnel that linked the two places, and this adverbial modifier is providing the background for the main clause that the completion was considered an engineering masterpiece.

^^How can "completion," not the "tunnel" that linked the 2 places?
Would it be more logical to say it was the "tunnel" that linked?
DmitryFarber wrote:
if we DID read it as a noun modifier, we could certainly apply it to the Holland Tunnel.

^^This reading, according to you, is WRONG right?
DmitryFarber wrote:
As for Ron's example, I'd say that "arriving at the courthouse" 100% does not modify father, but rather modifies "was." It's the father's action, so it is perfectly clear who arrived at the courthouse, but this is not a noun modifier.

^^You are consistent with your stance :) :thumbsup:
More on that here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/v-ing-modifi ... l#p2465287
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2020, 02:28
DmitryFarber wrote:
Hmm, I'd argue that neither approach is quite right. First, noun modifiers do not ALWAYS have to skip over a preceding modifier to modify the main noun. But more importantly, a ", + -ing" modifier is usually an adverbial modifier. It would be odd to use ", linking" as a noun modifier when we could just use "which linked." I'd argue that in this case we're saying it's the completion of the tunnel that linked the two places, and this adverbial modifier is providing the background for the main clause that the completion was considered an engineering masterpiece. All in all, this question and explanation are not the GMAT's finest hour--how can completion be a masterpiece?--but I think we can still reasonably interpret the modifier as an adverbial, and if we DID read it as a noun modifier, we could certainly apply it to the Holland Tunnel.

great explanation
most of the time we see "comma +doing' is adverbial modifier. this case is the same. "linking and.. permitting" still work as adverbial modifier.
if it work as noun modifier, we do not need "comma".

comma+do-ed can work as noun modifier or adverbial modifier. but comma+doing always work as adverbial modifier.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2020, 18:37
This whole debate between "tunnel" and "completion" seems like one of those times when we should just say "who cares; what's the real difference anyway?" The tunnel was an engineering masterpiece, as was its completion, and the entire project to achieve both. The completion of the tunnel linked the two places, as did the tunnel itself. There's very little meaningful distinction to be had, so it wouldn't even matter to me if someone argued that it was ambiguous (though I don't actually think it is). None of this bothers me. And every other answer is terrible. We have to make decisions relative to the options -- Sentence Correction is not meant to be done in a vacuum.

If you forced me to decide, I'd say that a participle modifier that is not at the end of a clause will modify what it is next to -- i.e. "the Holland Tunnel," and that the subject, "completion," is the perfectly logical "masterpiece" to which the verb and object refer.

The rule for participle phrases, as I understand and teach it, is that they will normally modify what they are next to, unless they are at the end of a clause and set off by a comma, in which case they cannot modify what they are next to and will instead modify the preceding clause as a whole.

Quote:
but comma+doing always work as adverbial modifier.

Note that I do not agree with this whatsoever (though I also find the adverbial/adjectival distinction largely unproductive).
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2020, 22:27
Hello Experts,
I'm glad I got this question right but however to arrive at the answer I treated "linking Manhattan with New Jersey???s highways and permitting 2,000 cars to pass through each tube every hour" as a modifier. I am not sure if I can treat it in this fashion and would love to know your thoughts!

Thanks and Regards,
Varun Madan
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with N   [#permalink] 20 Jul 2020, 22:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 50 posts ] 

The completion in 1925 of the Holland Tunnel, linking Manhattan with N

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics