Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Urbana-Champaign (U Illinois) - Calling 2016 MBA Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
AdiRedDevil wrote:
I was interviewed today by Mark Lockwood in Mumbai. The interview lasted 40-45mins, but it was more of a conversation not a question answer session.

The only questions he asked me directly were,
1. Tell me about your professional experience
2. What is your leadership style?
3. Other schools that I am applying to

If I have to list down the topics we talked about, the list is below
1. Strengths
2. What will I bring to the Illinois community
3. How do I stand out
4. Activities I do during free time

Later he talked about the culture at Illinois, what to expect, what is expected, recruitment scenario and few more that I am unable to recall at moment.

I hope my experience will be helpful to others!

P.S: If anyone gets an opportunity to interview with Mark, consider urself lucky; he makes you feel comfortable and is very helpful and down to earth.

Wow! Thanks Adi! It is more than helpful for people who are next ready to give their interviews. Thanks a lot for your descriptive info.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
sridhar9504 wrote:
AdiRedDevil wrote:
I was interviewed today by Mark Lockwood in Mumbai. The interview lasted 40-45mins, but it was more of a conversation not a question answer session.

The only questions he asked me directly were,
1. Tell me about your professional experience
2. What is your leadership style?
3. Other schools that I am applying to

If I have to list down the topics we talked about, the list is below
1. Strengths
2. What will I bring to the Illinois community
3. How do I stand out
4. Activities I do during free time

Later he talked about the culture at Illinois, what to expect, what is expected, recruitment scenario and few more that I am unable to recall at moment.

I hope my experience will be helpful to others!

P.S: If anyone gets an opportunity to interview with Mark, consider urself lucky; he makes you feel comfortable and is very helpful and down to earth.

Wow! Thanks Adi! It is more than helpful for people who are next ready to give their interviews. Thanks a lot for your descriptive info.

You are welcome Sridhar!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
That's right! I was interviewed by Mark on Wednesday in New Delhi.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.67
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Got an interview invite! :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ganeshrkamath wrote:

Congrats Ganesh! All the best for the interview!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.67
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
AdiRedDevil wrote:
ganeshrkamath wrote:

Thanks Aditya.

I read your interview experience. Looks like it went well. All the best!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ganeshrkamath wrote:
AdiRedDevil wrote:
ganeshrkamath wrote:

Thanks Aditya.

I read your interview experience. Looks like it went well. All the best!

Yes, it did! Thanks! :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-16-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi Folks. Any idea what is the cut-off dates for sending interview invites for candidates of fall'14 ? I haven't got any call so far..
Should i reach out adcom ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
suyash23n wrote:
Hi Folks. Any idea what is the cut-off dates for sending interview invites for candidates of fall'14 ? I haven't got any call so far..
Should i reach out adcom ?

Hi Suyash,

You may get the interview invite as late as mid-dec
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GRE 1: Q162 V167
GPA: 3.71
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Anybody going to the "Campus Connect" this Saturday? I'm thinking of checking it out...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Just gave my skype interview today.. with Kiri Popa.

I must say it went alright... All questions were standard except that she noticed that my maths grade in first semester of UG (9 years back) was low and she asked me about it... I am not sure if this is a question just to put pressure or whether they really are concerned about it.

Apart from that the interview went well.... Just hoping for a good decision... Fingers crossed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
sridhar9504 wrote:

I must say it went alright... All questions were standard except that she noticed that my maths grade in first semester of UG (9 years back) was low and she asked me about it... I am not sure if this is a question just to put pressure or whether they really are concerned about it.

Apart from that the interview went well.... Just hoping for a good decision... Fingers crossed.

good luck!!

I would note though...if the only transcript u r giving them is one and nothing else, they tend to question all the grades etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
VoyagerII wrote:
sridhar9504 wrote:

good luck!!

I would note though...if the only transcript u r giving them is one and nothing else, they tend to question all the grades etc.

Thanks VoyagerII... Waiting for a good decision!!

Any idea when the results will be notified to us?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sridhar9504 wrote:
VoyagerII wrote:
sridhar9504 wrote:

good luck!!

Thanks VoyagerII... Waiting for a good decision!!

Any idea when the results will be notified to us?

The decision is usually communicated in the first week of Jan
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Urbana Champaign Admissions Blog: Thinking about taking the GMAT or GRE
Wondering what test you should take?  Read this article for some differences in the two tests:  https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/careers/business-education/mba-aptitude-tests-battle-it-out/article2367432/

The ILLINOIS MBA accepts the GMAT or the GRE.  Many joint degree students (students receiving another masters degree) often take the GRE since they need it for their other program.  This allows us to have diverse backgrounds in our classes.  Students applying to many programs usually take the GMAT since it's more widely accepted in business schools. 

For information on the GMAT please visit www.mba.com.

For information on the TOEFL please visit https://www.ets.org/gre/
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
FROM Urbana Champaign Admissions Blog: Professional MBA June Events
The application for the Professional MBA is now available!  If you are interested in learning more about the program that meets two nights per week and is designed for working professionals, please join us at one of our events this summer. 

MBA Happy Hour

Date  |  Thursday, June 14

Time  |  5:00 - 7:00 p.m.

Place  |  Cowboy Monkey, 6 Taylor Street, Champaign

Register | https://go.illinois.edu/pmbaevents

Join College of Business Alumni for an evening of networking this summer at Cowboy Monkey in Champaign, and learn more about the Professional MBA.  Admission is complimentary with registration and includes cocktails and hors d'oeuvres.                       

PMBA Information Session

Date  |  Monday, June 25

Time  |  6:00 - 7:00 p.m.

Place  |  3007 Business Instructional Facility, Champaign

Register  |  https://go.illinois.edu/pmbaevents

This information session is specifically for working professionals who would like to learn about the Professional MBA curriculum, class schedule, Global Consulting Program, and tuition costs.  Come hear about exciting scholarship opportunities and admission requirements.

We hope to see you soon!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
FROM Urbana Champaign Admissions Blog: How to Compete in a Global Market
 In 2011, the Illinois MBA made a strategic move to better prepare our students to compete for jobs in a global market. No matter where you live and work, it is vital as a business leader to have awareness of the opportunities and challenges of conducting business globally. Of course, there is general awareness of some of the locations throughout the world where business is growing – India and China foremost among them. But simply knowing that opportunities exist is not enough. Reading about it in a textbook or hearing a professor lecture about it can’t prepare you for the complexities of cultural values, social behaviors, and legal challenges of conducting successful business in a foreign country.

For years, MBA programs have taken the approach of providing study abroad experiences for their students, and most business schools still offer these opportunities in one form or another. At Illinois, we have completely done away with the traditional study abroad experience. We have decided that as a benchmark experience, our MBA students will have the chance to work on a real-world project for an actual client that is based in countries with emerging markets and ever-increasing business opportunities. We refer to this student experience as the “Global Consulting Program”, and through this program, we are now sending teams of MBA students to work on client projects in some of the world’s foremost emerging markets – India, China, Brazil, and South Africa.

You might ask “Why?”, and so I’ve decided to address your likely questions in this post.

•    Why have you moved away from the traditional study abroad experience?

Very simply, the traditional experience wasn’t enough to prepare students for the challenges of doing business in foreign climates. These study abroad experiences are usually 5-10 days. There is little to prepare ahead of time. Generally, students show up and passively listen to a foreign professor and local business leaders talk about the opportunities and challenges of doing business in their home country. There may be a team project or examination to complete, but the experience is completely limited by the classroom dynamic. Little was asked of students to truly interact in business culture while they were there.

•    Why do you view the project experience as an improvement over the study abroad experience?

The “Global Consulting Program” is an improvement for several reasons.

1.    Students have significant responsibility. While the length of the trip is about the same as the study abroad trips (7-10 days), students are assigned a real-life team project months before they actually visit that country. Students dedicate time over several months, meeting with the client by video- or teleconferencing, managing a real-life project from start to finish. This level of commitment means that students are more vested in having a tremendous learning experience once they do visit the client in person.

2.    It’s a resume-builder. The goal of every MBA student is to find a great job after they graduate. This experience is something they can reference in a job interview, whether from the angle of being a successful project manager or from the angle of having a true awareness of how to successfully conduct business across international borders.

3.    It builds greater camaraderie. This experience is something that builds relationships. Students truly depend on each other to deliver a great product to their client. It’s difficult to explain, but when you are presenting to a Board of Directors in unfamiliar territory, you learn to trust your teammates in a way that you’ve never had to before. After returning from these trips, our students always say that they will never forget the experience.

To learn more about this unique opportunity, you can view the following video presentation of our students’ experience in Brazil last spring: .

To learn more details about the program, you can then visit our website at: https://www.mba.illinois.edu/experience/ ... lting.aspx. I think you will see that what we are offering is unparalleled by other MBA programs throughout the U.S. and the world.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts