GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 09:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Urbana-Champaign (U Illinois) - Calling 2016 MBA Applicants

new topic post reply Update application status  
Re: Urbana-Champaign (U Illinois) - Calling 2016 MBA Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2013, 04:00
FROM Urbana Champaign Admissions Blog: Virtual Admission Events Scheduled for 2013
We hope that you will be able to join us for one of our upcoming virtual admission events!  Even if you are unable to make it campus virtual sessions are a great way to hear from admission representatives.  We have Program Overview sessions scheduled, which will go over curriculum, experiential learning opportunities, and admissions.  There are also tailored sessions on application tips and interview tips.  During virtual sessions you’ll have the opportunity to type in questions and get them answered by an admissions representative.  On Wednesday, January 9 we have a virtual information session at 9:00 a.m. on Application Tips. To register for this session or another session please visit http://mba.illinois.edu/admissions/events.aspx

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2013, 04:00
FROM Urbana Champaign Admissions Blog: Big Ten Recruiting Chat
Want to learn more about MBA program in the Big Ten.  Join the ILLINOIS MBA in an online event to hear from "eight" of the Big Ten MBA programs on February 26.

• Iowa
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Michigan State
  • Minnesota
  • Nebraska
  • Penn State         

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
BSchool Moderator
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Dec 2013, 23:04
It was a great Saturday event in urbana-champaign, the campus-connect. We got to meet with the current students, staff and professors. One of the profs., Prof Noel, he gave us (about 30 people who attended the event), a mock marketing lecture, which was fun. The stuff and current students spent the whole day explaining the many opportunities available to students at Illinois. I must say, the presentations were great and very informative.

The majority of the people who showed up, came to conduct their interviews. Some came as far as California...so those of you who didn't show up because of the distance, the adcom will read that as a candidate not likely to commit. I had long talks with the Dean of the program, it was through those talks that i got the impression that the adcoms really love it when candidates show up for the many admission events that the program holds. They are really after people who will commit to the program if admitted. They like such candidates. Keep tuned in, i will expand on these thoughts as the scholarships decisions are released in the next four weeks...

Penultimately, there are about two or three invaluable takeaways that i got from attending the event:

1. Everybody knows that the class of 2015 is made up of only 79 students, meaning that the program is intimate and small. However, such small size to the program means that no more than 13 people would be interested in doing the same thing after graduation. For example, not more than 13 might be interested in going to those consulting firms like KPMG, Boston Consulting, McKinsey, Bain, Ernst & Young etc. In practical terms, what this means is that such firms will not come to campus, because, as the Director of Career services said, there is simply few candidates to compel those companies to come (13 applicants is the minimum for a firm to come to campus). Do not despair! The Big Ten network, of which Illinois is a member, does hold career events in which all these firms show up...since the pool is larger then. In addition, one can always move forward solo, with the assistance of the career services folks.

2. The college of business is backed up by the resources of the whole Illinois University system. What this means in practical terms is that you are likely to find illinois alumni all over the world, esp. here in the US. Trust me, when the hiring manager is an Illinois graduate at that firm of your dreams after you graduate with your MBA, clearly your chances of getting in are high. I would expand this thinking and assert that the Big Ten network is at your disposal, because such alumni from the other nine schools, they know about Illinois. If such people are hiring managers, etc, the fact that they know Illinois is another understated advantage.

3. The last point i will make is that of Illinois MBA graduate job placement. It is really important for me for statistics that MBA programs put out to make sense. I didn't really understand what the 85% job placement rate for the Illinois MBA class of 2012 meant. I was horrified by it, so i made sure to confront the director of careers services about this number on Saturday, since it is lower that other programs. He explained that number this way:

-The Illinois program is small. Of the 79 people in the class of 2015, one person (1.3%) represents 12 people at Harvard. What this means is that if one person doesn't get a job during the required 3 month reporting period, the Illinois program loses 1.3% on it's job placement rate. To lose that 1.3%, Harvard would need 12 people. \

-The reporting date is 90 days (three months) after graduation, as per the ABA requirements. Means if someone decides to go backpacking in Europe after graduation to clear their minds, and then return 91 days later, they wont be included on that job placement rate.

-Some graduates, come from such places as Comoros, or Somalia and many such places. When they choose to return to their home country, sometimes impossible for the Career Services office to get hold of them and procure information about their job search status. Again, for such a program, missing data from one person impacts the job placement rate, greatly.

The takeaway is that, do not let the 85% placement rate scare you, like it did to me...!

This is all i have for you guys. I hope these small observations help you in your search for the great MBA program of your life. For those that have completed their interviews, i wish you the best of luck! Thank you.

Originally posted by VoyagerII on 08 Dec 2013, 19:55.
Last edited by VoyagerII on 08 Dec 2013, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2013, 22:40
VoyagerII wrote:
It was a great Saturday event in urbana-champaign, the campus-connect. We got to meet with the current students, staff and professors. One of the profs., Prof Noel, he gave us (about 30 people who attended the event), a mock marketing lecture, which was fun. The stuff and current students spent the whole day explaining the many opportunities available to students at Illinois. I must say, the presentations were great and very informative.

The majority of the people who showed up, came to conduct their interviews. Some came as far as California...so those of you who didn't show up because of the distance, the adcom will read that as a candidate not likely to commit. I had long talks with the Dean of the program, it was through those talks that if got the impression that the adcoms really love it when candidates show up for the many admission events that the program holds. They are really after people who will commit to the program if admitted. They like such candidates. Keep tuned in, i will expand on these thoughts as the scholarships decisions are released in the next four weeks...

Penultimately, the there are about two of three invaluable takeaways that i got from attending the event:

1. Everybody knows that the class of 2015 is made up of only 79 students, meaning that the program is intimate and small. However, such small size to the program means that no more than 13 people would be interested in doing the same thing after graduation. For example, not more than 13 might be interested in going to those consulting firms like KPMG, Boston Consulting, McKinsey, Bain, Ernst & Young etc. In practical terms, what this means is that such firms will not come to campus, because, as the Director of Career services said, there is simply few candidates to compel those companies to come (13 applicants is the minimum for a firm to come to campus). Do not despair! The Big Ten network, of which Illinois is a member, does hold career events in which all these firms show up...since the pool is larger then. In addition, one can always move forward solo, with the assistance of the career services folks.

2. The college of business is backed up by the resources of the whole Illinois University system. What this means in practical terms is that you are likely to find illinois alumni all over the world, esp. here in the US. Trust me, when the hiring manager is an Illinois graduate at that firm of your dreams after you graduate with your MBA, clearly your chances of getting in are high. I would expand this thinking and assert that the Big Ten network is at your disposal, because such alumni from the other nine schools, they know about Illinois. If such people are hiring managers, etc, the fact that they know Illinois is another understated advantage.

3. The last point i will make is that of Illinois MBA graduate job placement. It is really important for me for statistics that MBA programs put out to make sense. I didn't really understand what the 85% job placement rate for the Illinois MBA class of 2012 meant. I was horrified by it, so i made sure to confront the director of careers services about this number on Saturday, since it is lower that other programs. He explained that number this way:

-The Illinois program is small. Of the 79 people in the class of 2015, one person (1.3%) represents 12 people at Harvard. What this means is that if one person doesn't get a job during the required 3 month reporting period, the Illinois program loses 1.3% on it's job placement rate. To lose that 1.3%, Harvard would need 12 people. \

-The reporting date is 90 days (three months) after graduation, as per the ABA requirements. Means if someone decides to go backpacking in Europe after graduation to clear their minds, and then return 91 days later, they wont be included on that job placement rate.

-Some graduates, come from such places as Comoros, or Somalia and many such places. When they choose to return to their home country, sometimes impossible for the Career Services office to get hold of them and procure information about their job search status. Again, for such a program, missing data from one person impacts the job placement rate, greatly.

The takeaway is that, do not let the 85% placement rate scare you, like it did to me...!

This is all i have for you guys. I hope these small observations help you in your search for the great MBA program of your life. For those that have completed their interviews, i wish you the best of luck! Thank you.

Thanks for your update on the campus connect. I assume that international students like me are only fortunate to read (and not visit) what happened in the campus connect.

Regards,
Sridhar
BSchool Moderator

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2013, 16:26
Seems like the adcom is coming in hot. They have started releasing final decisions today! Status people?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.67
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2013, 20:20
VoyagerII wrote:
Seems like the adcom is coming in hot. They have started releasing final decisions today! Status people?

That's fast! I'm a round 1 applicant and my interview is scheduled next week.
Are the decisions rolled out over time?
BSchool Moderator

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2013, 20:42
ganeshrkamath wrote:
VoyagerII wrote:

That's fast! I'm a round 1 applicant and my interview is scheduled next week.
Are the decisions rolled out over time?

i'm not sure. I expected scholarship infor etc at the beginning of next month. Instead, they hit me with that infor 12/10/2013. Very unexpected.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2013, 21:33
Admitted with scholarship!! :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.67
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2013, 21:43
AdiRedDevil wrote:

Congrats mate! :-D
Have a blast !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2013, 21:46
ganeshrkamath wrote:
AdiRedDevil wrote:

Congrats mate! :-D
Have a blast !

Thanks Ganesh!! :)

All the best to you!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2013, 23:07
Got an admit with scholarship :-D :-D :-D :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2013, 23:49
mbamaster999 wrote:

Congrats!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2013, 02:21
mbamaster999 wrote:

Congrats man!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2013, 02:22
AdiRedDevil wrote:

Congrats to you too!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2013, 02:33
e507817 wrote:
AdiRedDevil wrote:

Congrats to you too!

Thank you! :)
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2013, 02:40
Congrats to all those who have been admitted!!

Still fingers crossed for my decision though.. :? :|
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2013, 03:10
sridhar9504 wrote:
Congrats to all those who have been admitted!!

Still fingers crossed for my decision though.. :? :|

Thanks Sridhar! I wish you best for the results!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2013, 06:30
Congratulations to all admitted !! This is indeed a great news and I can assure you will have an enriching experience @ UIUC. People waiting - don't worry, the adcom is in the process of releasing the results. I hope you all get what you want.

Best,
DJ
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2013, 07:06
djrox007 wrote:
Congratulations to all admitted !! This is indeed a great news and I can assure you will have an enriching experience @ UIUC. People waiting - don't worry, the adcom is in the process of releasing the results. I hope you all get what you want.

Best,
DJ

Thanks DJ!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2013, 07:45
Just interviewed Saturday waiting for admissions decision. Please keep me in your prayers :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Urbana-Champaign (U Illinois) - Calling 2016 MBA Applicants   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2013, 07:45

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11    Next  [ 216 posts ] 

Urbana-Champaign (U Illinois) - Calling 2016 MBA Applicants

new topic post reply Update application status