Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [15]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: A car owner who is too proactive about general maintenance introduces [#permalink]
IMO E
I was in a split between C and E but chose E.
C is inherently as it does not say anything about about sophisticated owners .
Choice E correctly weakens the argument as it says may problems are not detected by owners but by expert mechanics.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Re: A car owner who is too proactive about general maintenance introduces [#permalink]
warriorguy wrote:
My 2 cents:

Ⓐ Some auto mechanics apply an optimal balance of preventative and required maintenance. - Modifier "some". Doesn't address the issue.
Ⓑ Many car owners can only afford visiting an auto mechanic if the condition impacts car owners’ ability to operate the vehicle. - Strengthens experts' stand.
Ⓒ Car owners who lack automotive maintenance sophistication struggle to determine the ideal time to schedule an appointment with a mechanic. - Thus should visit only when you face an issue. Strengthens
Ⓓ Larger auto maintenance chains have applied pressure on their auto mechanics to be more proactive in diagnosing conditions that could warrant repairs. - Irrelevant
Ⓔ Many of the most costly auto maintenance problems are not obvious to an unsophisticated owner but are to a well-trained mechanic. - Correct. Experts assume that car owners have the ability to detect an issue and then go to the mechanic. e.g. car breakdown etc. But what if there are some problems which are not obvious and could lead to greater damage. These problems are expensive. Hence the claim is shattered.

Hi, I discarded option E and voted C because option E states that - Many of the most costly auto maintenance problems.....We dont know what fraction of the maintenance problems are expensive to unsophisticated owners. Please help me in understanding this.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
A car owner who is too proactive about general maintenance introduces risk of incurring unnecessary expense, not to mention the risk of premature part replacement, and the loss of time required to conduct such visits. On the other hand, it is understood that a car owner who waits too long for general maintenance stands to spend more money on repairs that could have been prevented if detected sooner. Accordingly, some experts advise car owners to refrain from scheduling auto mechanic appointments when the car appears free of any issue.

Which one of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument above?

Ⓐ Some auto mechanics apply an optimal balance of preventative and required maintenance. -Okay? Out of scope.
Ⓑ Many car owners can only afford visiting an auto mechanic if the condition impacts car owners’ ability to operate the vehicle. -This strengthens the argument.
Ⓒ Car owners who lack automotive maintenance sophistication struggle to determine the ideal time to schedule an appointment with a mechanic. -A person might know the issue but might not be able to make an appointment.
Ⓓ Larger auto maintenance chains have applied pressure on their auto mechanics to be more proactive in diagnosing conditions that could warrant repairs. -This strengthens the argument, since people will get their cars repaired only when they see any issue, so the mechanics should be able to point out the issues.
Ⓔ Many of the most costly auto maintenance problems are not obvious to an unsophisticated owner but are to a well-trained mechanic. -Correct. If the person doesn't come to know the issue, then he/she will end up not visiting the mechanic.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
+1 for option E. We need to weaken the argument. In the pre-think process ask yourself - Just because car appears to be free of all problems does it mean that it indeed does not require maintenance ? Only option E fits the bill.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts