Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business, Other
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Alberta University (Class of 2018) - Calling all Applicants! [#permalink]
CABBA wrote:
atri07 wrote:
Hi All,

I am thinking of applying to Alberta in 2017. Can yu give me some pointers for the admission process please.
I am to write my GMAT in August and have 6 years experience in IT (TCS).

thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!

You might consider being more specific regarding what you need to know and/or your individual profile.
Basically all relevant information is available on the university's website (class profile, GMAT averages, course structure, specializations, etc.). One thing that I learnt was that they admit on a rolling basis, so early applications are favored. They recommended that I apply before March (I was able to submit my application by the end of January). Their website offers a "preliminary assessment" which is a good way to establish connection with the Alberta School of Business (for profile evaluation or to ask them them questions about the program). I'm my experience, the U of A representatives were happy to address my questions regarding the process.

First of all, thanks a lot for the reply CABBA, I went through the university website and also submitted my profile for "Preliminary Assessment". They replied -my profile looks to fit into the program and I need to complete the GMAT. I wanted to know about the interview and the video essays, in the sense are they tough or are they generic.

thanks again!!!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
atri07 wrote:
CABBA wrote:
atri07 wrote:
Hi All,

I am thinking of applying to Alberta in 2017. Can yu give me some pointers for the admission process please.
I am to write my GMAT in August and have 6 years experience in IT (TCS).

thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!

You might consider being more specific regarding what you need to know and/or your individual profile.
Basically all relevant information is available on the university's website (class profile, GMAT averages, course structure, specializations, etc.). One thing that I learnt was that they admit on a rolling basis, so early applications are favored. They recommended that I apply before March (I was able to submit my application by the end of January). Their website offers a "preliminary assessment" which is a good way to establish connection with the Alberta School of Business (for profile evaluation or to ask them them questions about the program). I'm my experience, the U of A representatives were happy to address my questions regarding the process.

First of all, thanks a lot for the reply CABBA, I went through the university website and also submitted my profile for "Preliminary Assessment". They replied -my profile looks to fit into the program and I need to complete the GMAT. I wanted to know about the interview and the video essays, in the sense are they tough or are they generic.

thanks again!!!!!!!!

It depends on your ability to handle interviews. After you submit the application online they will inform you whether or not they want you to complete video essays and/or the interview. Being that you are still preparing for the GMAT, it's a bit early to start worrying about the interview/video essays (you might not even get an interview).
For me the video essays were a bit stressful, but overall the process was tolerable. You set up the online interface, it then plays a prompt recorded by one of the U of A AdCom members, and then it records your response via your webcam/microphone. The questions are generic, "give an example of a time....", "what is the most important.....", etc. The difficult thing about the video essays is making what sounds like an intelligent response, in a professional manner on the first take, for a question that will be a bit unsettling. The tips I gathered from a variety of resources were: 1. Prepare the room so that the background looks professional 2. Wear proper attire 3. Make use of the practice questions (they are offered at the stage that you are setting up the interface), so that you can get comfortable recording yourself and producing a professional clip on the first attempt. Note that one question will require you to type and submit a written response to the prompt, this sounds easier but time is limited.
With regards to the final interview, for me it was pretty straightforward. You can do it in person or online (Skype). Basically the interviewer wanted me to take them through my application (essentially the resume and the letter of intent). I believe it's the last chance for the AdCom to confirm that you are who your application says you are, with regards to your personality, experience, qualifications and post-MBA goals. I recall a question or two during the interview that were behavioral descriptive and a question regarding my prior work experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It depends on your ability to handle interviews. After you submit the application online they will inform you whether or not they want you to complete video essays and/or the interview. Being that you are still preparing for the GMAT, it's a bit early to start worrying about the interview/video essays (you might not even get an interview).
For me the video essays were a bit stressful, but overall the process was tolerable. You set up the online interface, it then plays a prompt recorded by one of the U of A AdCom members, and then it records your response via your webcam/microphone. The questions are generic, "give an example of a time....", "what is the most important.....", etc. The difficult thing about the video essays is making what sounds like an intelligent response, in a professional manner on the first take, for a question that will be a bit unsettling. The tips I gathered from a variety of resources were: 1. Prepare the room so that the background looks professional 2. Wear proper attire 3. Make use of the practice questions (they are offered at the stage that you are setting up the interface), so that you can get comfortable recording yourself and producing a professional clip on the first attempt. Note that one question will require you to type and submit a written response to the prompt, this sounds easier but time is limited.
With regards to the final interview, for me it was pretty straightforward. You can do it in person or online (Skype). Basically the interviewer wanted me to take them through my application (essentially the resume and the letter of intent). I believe it's the last chance for the AdCom to confirm that you are who your application says you are, with regards to your personality, experience, qualifications and post-MBA goals. I recall a question or two during the interview that were behavioral descriptive and a question regarding my prior work experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote]

Thanks CABBA, I owe you one for the immense help. That was all the info i wanted. Am appearing for GMAT in August. Hoping to score well.

cheers!!!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
atri07 wrote:
Thanks CABBA, I owe you one for the immense help. That was all the info i wanted. Am appearing for GMAT in August. Hoping to score well.

cheers!!!!!!!!

No problem, good luck with the test.
As you probably know the average score for the U of A full time class (2015 in take) was around 610 and they quote 550 as the minimum acceptable score on their website, so that gives you something to shoot for. Obviously the higher the better, especially if you want to keep your options open for other schools as well. Good luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.06
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
CABBA wrote:

CABBA here has covered pretty much everything and has done a pretty good job in doing so. I just wanted to add one small thing that really proved to be very helpful with my interviews and overall admissions. Try and connect with the adcom in person. I had the opportunity to meet the adcom members of all my target schools here in India, and it helped me immensely during the interviews. It would serve as an opportunity to establish a friendly connect with the adcom members and interviewers.

Try TopMBA tours around the world, and even better try the Indo-Canadian Chamber of Commerce MBA Tour if you are in India.
https://icbc.org.in/ai1ec_event/edu-cana ... stance_id=

My Schulich interview lasted around 8-9 minutes, as the interviewer felt he's already got an understanding of me and my profile. I had met him twice in Bangalore and he was pretty pleased to admit me. Same was the case with Alberta as well, as Charlene Patry felt connected with me, and though was a little longer it was cool, friendly and more of a pleasant chat rather than an interview. All the best.

Warm Regards,
Vijay G
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: Alberta'18
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V22
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V28
Send PM
Hi All,

Yesterday, I received one mail from Eva stating that admission committee has recommended to FGSR for admission. I would like to know usually in how much time FGSR respond back on decision. Is there any possibility FGSR rejects application for admission?

BR
Manoj
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rajmanu24 wrote:
Hi All,

Yesterday, I received one mail from Eva stating that admission committee has recommended to FGSR for admission. I would like to know usually in how much time FGSR respond back on decision. Is there any possibility FGSR rejects application for admission?

BR
Manoj

From what I recall the final letter of admission will follow in about a week to ten days. I believe this time frame is discussed earlier in this thread, so read back a bit.
While there is a chance that the Faculty of Graduate Studies may impede your acceptance, as far as I know FGSR approval (following the recommendation from the Faculty of Business) is mostly automatic. The FGSR may request more information (such as additional transcripts) or stipulate conditions for your acceptance, but most likely you will be officially accepted in a week or two. Congrats.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
CABBA wrote:
rajmanu24 wrote:
Hi All,

BR
Manoj

From what I recall the final letter of admission will follow in about a week to ten days. I believe this time frame is discussed earlier in this thread, so read back a bit.
While there is a chance that the Faculty of Graduate Studies may impede your acceptance, as far as I know FGSR approval (following the recommendation from the Faculty of Business) is mostly automatic. The FGSR may request more information (such as additional transcripts) or stipulate conditions for your acceptance, but most likely you will be officially accepted in a week or two. Congrats.

Thanks a lot CABBA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rajmanu24 wrote:
CABBA wrote:
rajmanu24 wrote:
Hi All,

BR
Manoj

If there some https://gmatclub.com/chat group then pls add me in that. My no. +065-81261601

Thanks a lot CABBA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GPA: 3.9
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Hi There.
I Just want to know if everyone who was accepted to Alberta got a personal interview. I had the kiratalent interviews on June 8 and I have not received any confirmation for a personal interview. How long does it take?

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.06
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
ijdpdo wrote:
Hi There.
I Just want to know if everyone who was accepted to Alberta got a personal interview. I had the kiratalent interviews on June 8 and I have not received any confirmation for a personal interview. How long does it take?

Thanks

Hi, yes, I guess almost every one of us got an interview. It normally takes about a week for them to revert. But if you are running on a tight schedule (loans, VISA.etc) please feel free to write to Chris or Charlene and request for an early evaluation. All the best.

Regards.,
Vijay G
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.33
WE:Sales (Insurance)
Send PM