Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.06
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Re: Alberta University (Class of 2018) - Calling all Applicants! [#permalink]
Hi Vijay,

I have asked this question before but did not get any response. So wanted to take your views.

How good are post MBA career prospects if one is looking at technology consulting? The biggest question arises because they don't have consulting as an offering at all?
Do you see it otherwise? I have kept my application on hold on account of this.

Also, wanted to understand, if applying now would be any good as the college follows a rolling admission and it could be possible that they must have filled out all seats reserved for Indians.

Brief background about me:

Indian IT Male - GMAT 680 - Work ex (8.5) - Oracle.

Regards,
Vijay

VijayG6387 wrote:
Okay, I guess I am in. Got Eva's email a few minutes ago that my application has been forwarded to FGSR with the recommendation for admission. Any of the admitted guys, how long does it normally take from now on?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
svijayaug12 wrote:
Hi Vijay,

I have asked this question before but did not get any response. So wanted to take your views.

How good are post MBA career prospects if one is looking at technology consulting? The biggest question arises because they don't have consulting as an offering at all?
Do you see it otherwise? I have kept my application on hold on account of this.

Also, wanted to understand, if applying now would be any good as the college follows a rolling admission and it could be possible that they must have filled out all seats reserved for Indians.

Brief background about me:

Indian IT Male - GMAT 680 - Work ex (8.5) - Oracle.

Regards,
Vijay

VijayG6387 wrote:
Okay, I guess I am in. Got Eva's email a few minutes ago that my application has been forwarded to FGSR with the recommendation for admission. Any of the admitted guys, how long does it normally take from now on?

Hey Vijay, sorry that you did not get a response earlier. I won't pretend that I know a lot about the specializations and advice on it. I am just a regular IT guy heading to do an MBA to explore, learn and then decide for myself. :) As far as I know, there are a lot of folks, a lot actually, who went into MBA with a plan to do something post MBA and came out with a completely different view and a completely different passion. Guess that I am trying to say is, if you want to do consulting, you could still do if you continue to have that passion. As Manoj put it earlier, there are folks who have gone into consulting from Alberta, so I guess it is possible. There are a lot of colleges out there who do not offer consulting, but give a very strong education that people manage to get into consulting. With your score and GMAT, I think you can get into the big 4s anyway, and they are better for consulting especially Ivey and Queens. I don't see from your profile that you have considered any of them and applied. But if you'd still like to apply to Alberta as a safe option, you could by all means as there is no reservation of any sorts. :) I don't think any university will deny admission to a deserving Indian candidate just because they have already admitted a lot of Indians. Trust me. Your profile, your presentation of yourself, your clarity of thoughts are all that matter. So all the very best in case you decide to apply.

Warm Regards,
Vijay G
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Alberta'18
Send PM
VijayG6387 wrote:
Got an email from Eva Eberhardt that she'd like to proceed further with my admission and requesting for my individual semester mark sheets. I guess it means I am almost in? Sent it to her and waiting. Admitted guys, did you get to know about your scholarships right when the application was recommended to FGSR for an admit decision or later?

Congrats on ur admit.. I got my entrance award confirmation at the time of the admission offer.. so u may not need to wait..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VijayG6387 wrote:
nizam001 wrote:
VijayG6387 wrote:
Thank you for the wishes Nizam. Sorry about your Sauder decision mate. I have been accepted at Sauder. I am yet to decide where to go.

Regards,
Vijay G

congrats on your acceptance at Sauder.. UBC is one of the top brand in the western canada.. though the cost is little bit higher compared to Alberta.. moreover despite the reputation of UBC, vancouver is not a good place for business job sicker.. so it would be a tough decision for u to make.. York/ UBC/ Alberta..

Tell me about it. :( I am in a tight spot trying to decide.

I have some friends in Vancouver, and they told me that the job market is not prospective for business graduates.. however considering the brand value of UBC, u can go anywhere including USA..
Alberta is less costly.. so one may face less financial burden.. but if the economy do not find pace at the time of graduation, one may face problem to find his place..
York is probably the best among the three.. it is in Ontario where all the corporate jobs are.. but u will face huge financial burden.. Prodigy Finance's rate n processing fee is very high.. another thing is UBC n Alberta is the best in its own province.. but Ontario has many good universities.. Rotman, Queens, Ivey.. On the other hand Rotman recently tripled their class size.. so consider the compilation a York graduate has to face..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
VijayG6387
congrats bro..it is a good confusion to have as all 3 schools are really good....i know funds can be a bit of a problem which is y i dropped out of applying to schulich....Even if i ahd gotten sauder, would have been tough for me....all said and done, i believe alberta should be worth the investment coz i believe the market condition would be better than it is now...and such dark times are when mba's are required the most...to bolster the economy and help in cost cutting and stuff...it is my personal opinion...and oly u knw what fits you better....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
manojsundar1 wrote:
VijayG6387
congrats bro..it is a good confusion to have as all 3 schools are really good....i know funds can be a bit of a problem which is y i dropped out of applying to schulich....Even if i ahd gotten sauder, would have been tough for me....all said and done, i believe alberta should be worth the investment coz i believe the market condition would be better than it is now...and such dark times are when mba's are required the most...to bolster the economy and help in cost cutting and stuff...it is my personal opinion...and oly u knw what fits you better....

Yeah buddy, completely agree. Alberta is good. The only problem I need to consider is that my wife has not applied to Alberta or any schools near Alberta. :( Still deciding on which one to pick. :) If Alberta ends up giving me a good scholarship, then I might head there.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ACCA
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.3
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
VijayG6387 wrote:
manojsundar1 wrote:
VijayG6387

Yeah buddy, completely agree. Alberta is good. The only problem I need to consider is that my wife has not applied to Alberta or any schools near Alberta. :( Still deciding on which one to pick. :) If Alberta ends up giving me a good scholarship, then I might head there.

Hey Mate,

Did alberta come back to you with any scholarships? I got my Video link yesterday. How long do you think it will take for the interveiw and decision once I get done with the Video interview?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
enywmara wrote:
VijayG6387 wrote:

Hey Mate,

Did alberta come back to you with any scholarships? I got my Video link yesterday. How long do you think it will take for the interveiw and decision once I get done with the Video interview?

'
Not yet mate, awaiting a response from the FGSR. Will let you know once I hear from them. You'll get the interview call within a day or two of submitting the video essays and the result should be out in the next 2 weeks post interview. But I guess it'll depend on the volume of applications they are receiving now. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Got dinged by Alberta. LOL! VijayG6387 . They didn't even call me for the interview. I had the video essays and the next day they sent me an email stating that I was rejected.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
enywmara wrote:
Got dinged by Alberta. LOL! VijayG6387 . They didn't even call me for the interview. I had the video essays and the next day they sent me an email stating that I was rejected.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaa........aaaaaaa...aaatttt? :shock: Not able to comprehend why. :shock: Sorry about it man.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
enywmara wrote:

Sad news bro.. I was following ur posts.. hoped u would get acceptance..
have u got acceptance from any other school????
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nizam001 wrote:
enywmara wrote:

Yes, pretty sad. I got into two schools till now, Calgary and SFU. Still waiting on the others....
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Sorry to hear about it man...you still have some good schools you have applied to...all the best for them...
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
h

Originally posted by manishbhusal on 20 Feb 2016, 22:31.
Last edited by manishbhusal on 22 Feb 2016, 04:47, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi all. I'm in process of applying to the UofA. Good luck one and all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
Send PM
Hi,

i have submitted my application for Alberta, how long will they take to schedule the interview and what are the next steps i should be aware of the application process. can someone throw some light.

Thanks,
Sandeep
Intern
Intern
Send PM
enywmara wrote:
nizam001 wrote:
enywmara wrote:

Yes, pretty sad. I got into two schools till now, Calgary and SFU. Still waiting on the others....

Both r good schools.. though considering ur profile, I feel that u may land somewhere better.. let us know which school u have chosen finally.. wish u all the best..
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts