Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 05:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As one who has always believed that truth is our nations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
As one who has always believed that truth is our nations [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 07:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
As one who has always believed that truth is our nations surest weapon in the propaganda war against our foes, I am distressed by reports of disinformation campaigns by American intelligence agents in Western Europe. In a disinformation campaign, untruths are disseminated through gullible local journalists in order to damage the interests of our enemies and protect our own. Those who defend this practice say that lying is necessary to counter Soviet disinformation campaigns aimed at damaging Americas political interests. These apologists contend that one must fight fire with fire. I would point out to the apologists that the fire department finds water more effective.

The authors main point is that

(A) although disinformation campaigns may be effective, they are unacceptable on ethical grounds

(B) Americas moral standing in the world depends on its adherence to the truth

(C) the temporary political gains produced by disinformation campaigns generally give way to long-term losses

(D) Soviet disinformation campaigns have done little to damage Americas standing in Europe

(E) disinformation campaigns do not effectively serve the political interests of the United States

Every Problem Has a Sloution So keep working
AB

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-American war [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 08:44
apurva1985 wrote:
As one who has always believed that truth is our nations surest weapon in the propaganda war against our foes, I am distressed by reports of disinformation campaigns by American intelligence agents in Western Europe. In a disinformation campaign, untruths are disseminated through gullible local journalists in order to damage the interests of our enemies and protect our own. Those who defend this practice say that lying is necessary to counter Soviet disinformation campaigns aimed at damaging Americas political interests. These apologists contend that one must fight fire with fire. I would point out to the apologists that the fire department finds water more effective.

The authors main point is that

(A) although disinformation campaigns may be effective, they are unacceptable on ethical grounds

(C) the temporary political gains produced by disinformation campaigns generally give way to long-term losses

(D) Soviet disinformation campaigns have done little to damage Americas standing in Europe

(E) disinformation campaigns do not effectively serve the political interests of the United States

My Reasoning :

IMO C

Conclusion : truth is our nations surest weapon in the propaganda war against our foes

Evidence :
1. fire department finds water more effective
2. In a disinformation campaign, untruths are disseminated through gullible local journalists in order to damage the interests of our enemies and protect our own.
3. Those who defend this practice say that lying is necessary to counter Soviet disinformation campaigns aimed at damaging Americas political interests.

Assumption 1: What if lying is not necessary to fight propaganda war against foes and what if truth is more effective to fight the same? Yes that will def support the author's conclusion.
Assumption 2 : Whet if lying is more detrimental that it seems to fight the propaganda war? Should nations then use it?? No, which again supports the conclusion.

Last edited by Ashwin_Mohan on 16 Jul 2008, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-American war [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 08:44
what is the OA?
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR-American war [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 12:38
Topic:disinformation campaigns by American intelligence agents in Western Europe
scope:author's views
tone:distressed

Conclusion:I would point out to the apologists that the fire department finds water more effective. In other words the disinformation campaigns are not an effective way to counter attack the Soviets

Main Point - Any statement that conveys disinformation campaigns are not effective.

E
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-American war [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 14:22
This post received
KUDOS
I just saw this question from another post, but I'll copy and paste my same answer to this thread:

I would pick E as my answer too.

This question is a bit tricky. But I think that the best way to attack such a question is that when you scan through each word in each answer choice, try to find one word that is irrelevant or simply wrong - one wrong word means that the whole answer choice is wrong! I'll go through each answer choice and will highlight one word that I can argue against or even more if I can find them:

The author never said that he found the campaign effective. He only recalled what the defenders of this approach were saying. Also, who said anything about ethics??

The author didn't say anything about being moral. He only doesn't think that lying will lead to the intended result. Also, there is nothing mentioned about what depends on what...

No speculation was made by the author about the long term consequence of this approach.

we don't know the consequence of soviet's campaigns. we only know what the soviets did, but we don't know whether the action of the soviet is considered huge or small.

correct. also, the use of "effectively" makes this answer choice mild rather than extreme.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-American war [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 14:25
E too..the author is talking about effectivness and E is spot on.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-American war [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2008, 22:22
Good explanation thanks i will try to adapt this approach as when i first read the question stem i was not able to make head or tails of it................Let me see if this approach will work

tarek99 wrote:
I just saw this question from another post, but I'll copy and paste my same answer to this thread:

I would pick E as my answer too.

This question is a bit tricky. But I think that the best way to attack such a question is that when you scan through each word in each answer choice, try to find one word that is irrelevant or simply wrong - one wrong word means that the whole answer choice is wrong! I'll go through each answer choice and will highlight one word that I can argue against or even more if I can find them:

The author never said that he found the campaign effective. He only recalled what the defenders of this approach were saying. Also, who said anything about ethics??

The author didn't say anything about being moral. He only doesn't think that lying will lead to the intended result. Also, there is nothing mentioned about what depends on what...

No speculation was made by the author about the long term consequence of this approach.

we don't know the consequence of soviet's campaigns. we only know what the soviets did, but we don't know whether the action of the soviet is considered huge or small.

correct. also, the use of "effectively" makes this answer choice mild rather than extreme.

Every Problem Has a Sloution So keep working
AB

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-American war [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2008, 03:25
Good one. I agree with E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3