GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 08 Dec 2019, 01:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

As one who has always believed that truth is our nation’s surest weapo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
As one who has always believed that truth is our nation’s surest weapo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2019, 02:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (02:12) correct 59% (02:04) wrong based on 234 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As one who has always believed that truth is our nation’s surest weapon in the propaganda war against our foes, I am distressed by reports of “disinformation” campaigns by American intelligence agents in Western Europe. In a disinformation campaign, untruths are disseminated through gullible local journalists in order to damage the interests of our enemies and protect our own. Those who defend this practice say that lying is necessary to counter Soviet disinformation campaigns aimed at damaging America’s political interests. These apologists contend that one must fight fire with fire. I would point out to the apologists that the fire department finds water more effective.

The author’s main point is that

(A) although disinformation campaigns may be effective, they are unacceptable on ethical grounds
(B) America’s moral standing in the world depends on its adherence to the truth
(C) the temporary political gains produced by disinformation campaigns generally give way to long-term losses
(D) Soviet disinformation campaigns have done little to damage America’s standing in Europe
(E) disinformation campaigns do not effectively serve the political interests of the United States

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
Re: As one who has always believed that truth is our nation’s surest weapo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2019, 05:57
The argument revolves around the effectiveness of an adopted strategy.

A- This may be true in the real world but has nowhere been mentioned- rule this out
B- Again no mention of morality in the argument- Out
C- The author does does not acknowledge any short term gain- Out
D- Not mentioned- Out
E- Precisely what we are looking for. Disinformation campaigns are not an effective way- Correct

Hit Kudos if this helped you!
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
As one who has always believed that truth is our nation’s surest weapo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2019, 02:30
Hi Expert,

Please clarify to me.

Although I correctly marked E, I have doubt whether we can go too far by stating that the disinformation campaigns do not effectively serve.....

Just because the passage made analogy that " fire department would find water more effectively - that is disinformation campaigns are less effective, can we say that disinformation campaigns are "not" effective.

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: As one who has always believed that truth is our nation’s surest weapo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2019, 02:49
Hii All,

This is my first Solution, Pls Kudos is requested!!!

Passage presents words like "effective" and "America Political Interest" which connects to option E.

Kindly ask, I could elaborate the above solution.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 15:57
Could you please walk through the reasoning? Any additional advice when tackling ???conclusion??? Qs...?
Non-Human User
Re: As one who has always believed that truth is our nations  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2019, 22:53
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: As one who has always believed that truth is our nations   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2019, 22:53

As one who has always believed that truth is our nation’s surest weapo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics