Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 23:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 104

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 15:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (05:15) correct 36% (01:20) wrong based on 471 sessions
B - active voice with "maritime code provides" along with the proper use of "it" later in the answer choice.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 12:40
I can't see how C is wrong, "already stimulating.." acts as an absolute phrase that modifies the whole preceding clause, nothing is wrong with that I guess.
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 67

Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 22:54
Hi Marcab and Jp27
pls help with this one
between c and D
How is " This" not referring to anything, logically it should refer to the code and it is........
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 02:08
Archit143 wrote:
Hi Marcab and Jp27
pls help with this one
between c and D
How is " This" not referring to anything, logically it should refer to the code and it is........

yes u are correct! This in D is wrong!
"already stimulating" in C is wrong!
"under provisions of the new maritime code" is a misplaced modifier in C!

B is correct?

Where is my Kudos? lol!

Cheers
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 67

Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 12:57
This post was
BOOKMARKED
papillon86 wrote:
Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fie lds of large sea areas. they have already stimulated international disputes over uninhabited islands.

(A) Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated
(B) Because the new maritime code provides that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, it has already stimulated
(C) Even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, already stimulating
(D) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, this has already stimulated
(E) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fie lds of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, which is already stimulating

This is an excellent questions......
here is my POE for the question.

A uses wrong construction "that provides that'....it is clearly mentioned in the official explanation of Q 128 Sc OG 13 answers...... hence the same rule apply here also.

B Appears to be correct.
C Modifier error........."Already Stimulating' appears after comma hence it should modify the whole clause.. Hence it modifies "basis for claims" why because when asked the question what is already stimulating it answers Basis on the claim...It should have modified Maritime code.. If it would have been mentioned without comma than would have been right.
D is also incorrect. The referent of this is incorrect.
E stimulating should be stimulated ..

Moreover

The main problem with the sentence is the construction.... Because mentions a cause for for something so The Provisions of maritme code is the main cause here hence should be placed near to it... All other construction are inverted construction hence cannot be considered correct.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 17

Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 21:17
B was my original choice, then I foolishly eiminated it and chose A I think because it had removed the word

"provisions"

I thought that this had changed the original meaning of the sentence, obviously I was wrong.

Can some provide more color as to the basis of my error?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2014, 03:11
The two problems I have with B are that:

"the maritime code PROVIDES... it has already STIMULATED".. What does this imply? Because it right now provides X, it stimulate(d) Y in the past? So there's a weak scent of meaning ambiguity with B.

Also, the pronoun "it" could arguably be viewed as ambiguous.. But if you break down the sentence, it says "BECAUSE the code provides THAT.. X can be the Y for A & B, IT has already" ... So the "X can be the Y for A & B" portion throws us off and makes us think we have new possible antecedents of "it".. But we don't, so "it" clearly refers to the code.

So yeah, the BIGGEST problem here is with the tenses but every other option has way bigger problems, so we go with B.
Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2014, 03:11