GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 05:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2018, 23:27
dave13 wrote:
What does "it" refer to in B ? what if instead of "it" would be "this" in B ? :?

isn't it whole sentence construction ambiguous - be it "it' or "this"

what does "it" refer to ? isn't it better to use a specific noun instead of "it" :?

B) Because the new maritime code provides that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, this initiative has already
stimulated

Hey dave13 ,

"It" in B is referring to the new maritime code.

You need to understand the following construction:

Because Clause 1, Independent Clause 2

Here the Subject of the independent clause 2 refers to the subject of the Clause 1.

In the given question,

Clause 1 : Because the new maritime code(Subject) provides that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas

Independent Clause 2: It(Subject) has already stimulated

Therefore, "It" is referring back to the code.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: HBS '18
WE: Consulting (Other)
CAT Tests
Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 08:05
abhimahna wrote:
dave13 wrote:
What does "it" refer to in B ? what if instead of "it" would be "this" in B ? :?

isn't it whole sentence construction ambiguous - be it "it' or "this"

what does "it" refer to ? isn't it better to use a specific noun instead of "it" :?

B) Because the new maritime code provides that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, this initiative has already
stimulated

Hey dave13 ,

"It" in B is referring to the new maritime code.

You need to understand the following construction:

Because Clause 1, Independent Clause 2

Here the Subject of the independent clause 2 refers to the subject of the Clause 1.

In the given question,

Clause 1 : Because the new maritime code(Subject) provides that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas

Independent Clause 2: It(Subject) has already stimulated

Therefore, "It" is referring back to the code.

Does that make sense?

Maybe that's the part that am not clear on the new maritime code(Subject). I thought the new maritime code can't the be the subject because its part of a prepositional phrase. just like this example:

Without the judge knowing how to resolve the issue, he had no way to solve the case.
Even though John is tall, he is not good at basketball.

In both examples above are"Judge" and "John" subjects? or are they simply part of a prepositional phrase they can't be subjects?

This is what I am not clear on.

Migatte no Gokui

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 08:21
oasis90 wrote:
Maybe that's the part that am not clear on the new maritime code(Subject). I thought the new maritime code can't the be the subject because its part of a prepositional phrase. just like this example:

Without the judge knowing how to resolve the issue, he had no way to solve the case.

In both examples above are"Judge" and "John" subjects? or are they simply part of a prepositional phrase they can't be subjects?

Hey oasis90 ,

In both the examples you presented, Judge" and "John" are the subjects.

Also, I somehow feel you are not very clear on the difference between a phrase and a clause.

A phrase is either only subject but no verb OR only verb but no verb.

If you are unsure whether a group of words is a clause or phrase, break down the words into the parts of speech to help you decide. If there is a subject and a verb with a predicate, it is a clause. If there is a noun but no verb or a verb but no noun and does not have a predicate, it is a phrase.

Without the judge knowing how to resolve the issue ==> No Verb -- Hence a phrase.
Even though John is tall ==> Both Subject and a Verb -- Hence a clause (To be specific Independent Clause)

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: HBS '18
WE: Consulting (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 11:04
abhimahna wrote:
oasis90 wrote:

Hey oasis90 ,

In both the examples you presented, Judge" and "John" are the subjects.

Also, I somehow feel you are not very clear on the difference between a phrase and a clause.

A phrase is either only subject but no verb OR only verb but no verb.

If you are unsure whether a group of words is a clause or phrase, break down the words into the parts of speech to help you decide. If there is a subject and a verb with a predicate, it is a clause. If there is a noun but no verb or a verb but no noun and does not have a predicate, it is a phrase.

Without the judge knowing how to resolve the issue ==> No Verb -- Hence a phrase.
Even though John is tall ==> Both Subject and a Verb -- Hence a clause (To be specific Independent Clause)

Does that make sense?

Hey ya thanks this is great. it makes more sense now.

I have another question that I posted here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/sentence-cor ... s#p2062345

Migatte no Gokui

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2018, 22:37
sayantanc2k wrote:
sdlife wrote:
Hi Experts, I think in A "that" could refer back to "provisions", so I don't think that's enough to mark A wrong. Could you please tell what other errors are in A? Thanks.

1. The pronoun "they" is ambiguous.
2. The usage "there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide" is wordy - the structure in B "the new maritime code provides" is more concise.

Hi sayantanc2k ,

Thanks for your response. Regarding the use of 'they' - GMAT usually parallel subjects of the clauses, but since in choice A there is a relative clause with subject "islets", and the main subject of the dependent clause is "there", 'they' in the following clause can't refer to 'provisions'. Is my understanding correct?

While in B, the subjects are parallel and "it" clearly refers to code.

Thanks so much!

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

Intern
Intern
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 10:20
gmattokyo wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 13th Edition, 2012

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 115

Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated international disputes over uninhabited islands.

(A) Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated

(B) Because the new maritime code provides that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, it has already stimulated

Just one doubt with the meaning of this question
Does the Code Provide that islets.....
Or
The provisions (in the code) that provide that ...........

I thought it was the provisions (in the M Code) and thus ruled A

Also, ...that provide that ....... is wrong? why ?

Can someone please explain

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mega collection of All RCs from GMAT, GRE & LSAT https://gmatclub.com/forum/mega-rc-collection-from-gmat-gre-lsat-273512.html
Mega collection of CRs from various sources (including LSAT) https://gmatclub.com/forum/mega-critical-reasoning-cr-collection-274044.html

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 21:24
A - Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated
i) Subject verb agreement - provisions (subject), provide (verb) - agreed
ii) Pronoun - they - ambiguous - thus, choice A is eliminated

B- Because the new maritime code provides that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, it has already stimulated
i) Subject verb agreement - Maritime Code (subject), provides (verb) - agreed
ii) Pronoun - it - here I am confused - pronoun should refer to subject of the previous clause - thus, logically it should refer to maritime code - if this is the case, meaning conveyed is maritime code has already stimulated disputes. But, I am unsure if provisions of maritime code have resulted in disputes or collection of provision to which we call - Code, has resulted in disputes. Obviously collection of all provisions = code. Apparently, no issue.

C- Even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, already stimulating
here ing modifier - stimulating - i.e. ing modifier after the comma should correctly modify the clause - i.e. subject as well as verb. In this option subject is 'tiny islets' and verb is 'can be basis'. Illogical usage of ing modifier, thus, option C is eliminated

D- Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, this has already stimulated
this - refers to entire action - pronoun cannot refer to action. Hence, D is eliminated.

E- Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, which is already stimulating
which correctly modifies maritime code, however, sentence begins with 'Because' which shall be followed by some verb for main subject - tiny islets...
Because X is something, Y is something... fullstop - correct
Because X is something, which is....fullstop - absolute wrong!

Hence, B is best answer.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 22:35
Top Contributor
Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated international disputes over uninhabited islands.

(A) Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated

(B) Because the new maritime code provides that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, it has already stimulated

(C) Even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, already stimulating

(D) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, this has already stimulated

(E) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, which is already stimulating

We should not split hairs whether something does something or something else in the something does something.
If we say the hospital provides the best medical care, we cannot ask how a hospital can give the care, but only the people there can give.
If we say that France beat Croatia in the world cup, the French team beat the Croatian side. We cannot ask how France, a country can beat another country.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 07:11
Top Contributor
We might also note that in A, 'there' is not the subject. It is only an expletive, meaning a meaningless filler word. The real subject is the plural 'provisions' in this inverted clause. But logically speaking, we say for example that ' 'the law will take its course' and not the "provisions in the law" will take their course. We generally say Bible says and not the psalms in the Bible say.
In A, in addition, and more importantly, I feel that 'provisions that provide' is gross redundancy

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 22:40

that modifies code, which is singular. Hence "provide" is wrong. Plus "that provide that" is a wordy construction

SV pairs are okay. Do not see errors.

(C) Even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, already stimulating
Are tiny islets stimulating? No. this is wrong.

(D) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, this has already stimulated

This refers to the action is the preceding clause. This is wrong.

(E) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, which is already stimulating

The sentence preceding comma is a dependent clause. Hence, an independent clause must follow for the answer choice to make sense.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide th &nbs [#permalink] 12 Dec 2018, 22:40

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap