Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx   Pronounsx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Schools: IIMA WBS '22
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide th [#permalink]
AjiteshArun GMATNinja

Can you please tell me why is answer choice D wrong. My doubt is pertaining to uses of "this".

In other official question provided in below link, I see uses of "this" is correct in pretty much similar situation.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/severely-hin ... 94388.html
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [4]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide th [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
KaranB1 wrote:
AjiteshArun GMATNinja

Can you please tell me why is answer choice D wrong. My doubt is pertaining to uses of "this".

In other official question provided in below link, I see uses of "this" is correct in pretty much similar situation.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/severely-hin ... 94388.html
Hi KaranB1,

The short answer to your question is that, generally, using a this to refer to a clause is not incorrect (this post). It just introduces ambiguity issues that may, or may not, be reason enough to remove an option. The long answer, specific to this question, is that using a pronoun to refer to an entire dependent clause (because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime codethis?) leads to a major drop in meaning clarity.

I believe that my reply in the thread you linked to contains some good advice, but I'll add a few details here. Verbal is always about "the best of the 5 options", and this is the first thing I ask all my students to accept, as it is one of the things that keep some test takers from getting a higher score. In other words, I feel that it is important to drop the right/wrong mindset, and instead adopt an approach that is more about the reliability of the "rules" we learn. Some rules are more reliable than others, but we should be very careful about what we take to be an "absolute".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
GMATNinja generis daagh

For choice (C), the comma + modifier can simply be the result. It doesn't have to refer to subject alone. In a cause-effect situation choice (C) also makes sense ?

Please advise.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Let's tackle this question, one problem at a time, and narrow it down to the right choice! First, here is the original question, with the major difference between the options highlighted in orange:

Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated international disputes over uninhabited islands.

(A) Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated
(B) Because the new maritime code provides that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, it has already stimulated
(C) Even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, already stimulating
(D) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, this has already stimulated
(E) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, which is already stimulating

After glancing over the options quickly, there are 2 main things we can focus on:

1. How to handle the clause about maritime code provisions (Modifiers/Subordinate Clauses/Idioms)
2. How each option ends (Pronouns/Meaning)

Let's actually start with #2 on our list because it deals with a pretty easy concepts: Pronouns & Subordinate Clauses. Here are the two things we need to look for:

1. Do the pronouns agree with their antecedents?
2. Can we find the complete sentence/independent clause in the sentence?

Let's see how each option stacks up:

(A) Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated

We need to rule this out as INCORRECT because the pronoun "they" is vague! There are several plural nouns that we could pair this up with: provisions, islets, fisheries, and oil fields. Any time you have a pronoun that could apply to several nouns, get rid of it.

(B) Because the new maritime code provides that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, it has already stimulated

This is OKAY for now because the pronoun "it" is clearly referring back to the singular "code." Everything else is plural, so it's not likely to refer any of those things. So let's keep this one for later.

(C) Even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, already stimulating

This is OKAY for now because we're not dealing with any pronouns, and there is a clear independent clause here. So let's leave it for later.

(D) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, this has already stimulated

This is INCORRECT because the word "this" is misleading. It's leading us to believe that the thing that has stimulated international disputes is THE ENTIRE PHRASE before the comma, not just the new maritime code provisions. The tiny islets didn't do it, nor did the fisheries or oil fields. So let's toss this one out.

(E) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, which is already stimulating

This is INCORRECT because it's a sentence fragment! The clause before the comma is a subordinate clause, which cannot stand alone - it needs to be attached to a complete sentence to work. Unfortunately, what comes after the comma here is NOT a complete sentence - it's a modifier. While this is a very long fragment, it's still a fragment!

We can eliminate A, D, & E because they either include vague/misleading pronouns or aren't complete sentences.

Now that we have 2 options left, let's look more carefully at each one to see if we spot any other issues:

This is CORRECT! It's clear that the maritime code is what is causing the international disputes. The subordinating clause also works because the clause that comes after the comma could stand alone as an independent clause.

This is INCORRECT. It uses an -ing modifier, which modifies THE ENTIRE CLAUSE before the comma, not just the noun directly preceding it. Readers might be misled to thinking that the tiny islets stimulated international disputes, and not the code. We need a modifier that clearly only applies to the maritime code instead, or it needs to be rearranged (like it is in option B) to work.

There you have it - option B is the correct choice!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

In Option B, can't "it" refer back to the singular noun - "basis"?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
I agree with B being correct, but since GMAT is quite strict with the meaning of the sentence; in the original sentence, its the "provisions in the new maritime code". But in option, its the "new maritime code". I find it a bit conflicting because in some questions, the options are incorrect just due to this type error only.

Can someone please explain this to me.
Thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
shirishgupta77 wrote:
I agree with B being correct, but since GMAT is quite strict with the meaning of the sentence; in the original sentence, its the "provisions in the new maritime code". But in option, its the "new maritime code". I find it a bit conflicting because in some questions, the options are incorrect just due to this type error only.

Can someone please explain this to me.
Thanks in advance.
Hi shirishgupta77,

There is nothing special about the underlined portion of the sentence, so we shouldn't assume that the correct option will use the same structure(s) that option A does.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
altairahmad wrote:
GMATNinja generis daagh
For choice (C), the comma + modifier can simply be the result. It doesn't have to refer to subject alone. In a cause-effect situation choice (C) also makes sense ?

Please advise.

Here's (C) again:
Quote:

You're correct: an "-ing" modifier at the end of the sentence doesn't have to refer to the subject alone, and will often modify the entire previous clause. And in theory, an "-ing" modifier could be the result of a cause that's introduced in the previous clause.

But in (C), it's not clear what the cause is. In other words, what exactly is stimulating the disputes? The tiny islets? The fact that the islet are the basis of claims? Is it the provisions of the new maritime code? It really isn't clear what causes the disputes in (C).

In choice (B), however, there is no question about it: the "new maritime code" is the thing that has already stimulated disputes.

I hope that helps a bit!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 177
Send PM
When I go for meaning in Option (B), it does not makes sense. Option (B) says "Because the new maritime code provides. I think that "new maritime code" is some legal agreement that contains a provision. How can a legal agreement provides something?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
WE:Business Development (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal Thanks for your excellent explanation.

I understand that option E is fragment, but Is option C also a fragment?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Hi,
I have read the discussions here and most people say this here is trying to reflect the entire clause.
But, i felt this here is referring to the Noun, New Maritime code.
What is the right usage of "this" ?
@Gmatninja- in your videos you said sometimes "it" can refer back to subject of previous clause. how do we know when it is referring to subject of previous clause or some other noun in the sentence.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [0]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sthk94 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal Thanks for your excellent explanation.

I understand that option E is fragment, but Is option C also a fragment?

Great question, Sthk94!

No, option C is not a fragment. Here is what it would look like if we added in the non-underlined portion:

Even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, already stimulating international disputes over uninhabited islands.

The independent clause is in blue. If you were to leave just the blue portion of the sentence, without the part that comes after, it would be correct. The main problem with this sentence, however, is that the modifier, "already stimulating international disputes over uninhabited lands" isn't paired up closely with its intended antecedent (see our explanation in the comments for more on that).

I hope that helps! Make sure to tag us if you have any more questions! :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
KSN27 wrote:
Hi,
I have read the discussions here and most people say this here is trying to reflect the entire clause.
But, i felt this here is referring to the Noun, New Maritime code.
What is the right usage of "this" ?

Hi KSN27, to avoid ambiguity, this (and similarly these) should preferably be followed by a noun that makes the intent very clear.

So, a better construct would be:

this code has already stimulated....
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
thecoronafever wrote:
When I go for meaning in Option (B), it does not makes sense. Option (B) says "Because the new maritime code provides. I think that "new maritime code" is some legal agreement that contains a provision. How can a legal agreement provides something?

This is a common concern. Check out this post, which explains how it is fairly common to take a little license with what performs an action. Hopefully that answers your question!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Archit143 wrote:
papillon86 wrote:
Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fie lds of large sea areas. they have already stimulated international disputes over uninhabited islands.

(E) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fie lds of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, which is already stimulating

This is an excellent questions......
here is my POE for the question.

A uses wrong construction "that provides that'....it is clearly mentioned in the official explanation of Q 128 Sc OG 13 answers...... hence the same rule apply here also.

B Appears to be correct.
C Modifier error........."Already Stimulating' appears after comma hence it should modify the whole clause.. Hence it modifies "basis for claims" why because when asked the question what is already stimulating it answers Basis on the claim...It should have modified Maritime code.. If it would have been mentioned without comma than would have been right.
D is also incorrect. The referent of this is incorrect.
E stimulating should be stimulated ..

Moreover

The main problem with the sentence is the construction.... Because mentions a cause for for something so The Provisions of maritme code is the main cause here hence should be placed near to it... All other construction are inverted construction hence cannot be considered correct.

hey AndrewN thanks for yesterdays response :)

pls see highlighted part.
IMO "Basis " is object, and "tiny islets" is subject, so "Already Stimulating" modifies "tiny islets" and not "Basis s"
is my reasoning correct ? :)

Also just wondering if I correctly identified prepositional phrases of option C. pls see below.

"for claims"

"to the fisheries and oil fields"

"of large sea areas"

"under provisions"

"of the new maritime code"

many thanks :)
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
dave13 wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
papillon86 wrote:
Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fie lds of large sea areas. they have already stimulated international disputes over uninhabited islands.

(E) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fie lds of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, which is already stimulating

This is an excellent questions......
here is my POE for the question.

A uses wrong construction "that provides that'....it is clearly mentioned in the official explanation of Q 128 Sc OG 13 answers...... hence the same rule apply here also.

B Appears to be correct.
C Modifier error........."Already Stimulating' appears after comma hence it should modify the whole clause.. Hence it modifies "basis for claims" why because when asked the question what is already stimulating it answers Basis on the claim...It should have modified Maritime code.. If it would have been mentioned without comma than would have been right.
D is also incorrect. The referent of this is incorrect.
E stimulating should be stimulated ..

Moreover

The main problem with the sentence is the construction.... Because mentions a cause for for something so The Provisions of maritme code is the main cause here hence should be placed near to it... All other construction are inverted construction hence cannot be considered correct.

hey AndrewN thanks for yesterdays response :)

pls see highlighted part.
IMO "Basis " is object, and "tiny islets" is subject, so "Already Stimulating" modifies "tiny islets" and not "Basis s"
is my reasoning correct ? :)

Also just wondering if I correctly identified prepositional phrases of option C. pls see below.

"for claims"

"to the fisheries and oil fields"

"of large sea areas"

"under provisions"

"of the new maritime code"

many thanks :)

Of course, dave13. I will almost always respond to a direct mention by a user, even if I merely suggest that that person reread an earlier post. (The exception is when someone tags me to explain every single question to an RC passage, when there might be several, particularly when someone else has already offered an analysis.) As for your queries, you are correct about the object and subject of (C). As for the modifier, an -ing modifier (or participial phrase) after a comma can comment on just about anything up to that comma, whether an object, subject, or entire phase or clause. You can almost picture a thereby following the comma, and sussing out what, exactly, justifies that thereby can get really confusing in this sentence. Consider the full sentence:

(C) Even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, already stimulating international disputes over uninhabited islands.

Now, what, exactly, is stimulating these disputes? Is it

a) that tiny islets can be the basis for claims
b) that the claims pertain to fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas (as opposed to smaller ones)
c) the provisions of the new maritime code
d) all of the above

The answer could be any of the above, and such a lack of clarity is problematic. So, is your reasoning correct? Well, yes and no. It is kind of like you felt the trunk of the elephant while Archit143 had a hand on the tail, and the two of you were calling the shots based on your perception of a larger organism.

Your identification of prepositional phrases is enviable. I doubt you will run into trouble if that pops up in a question.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me about this one.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [9]

Send PM
Kudos