It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 04:27

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the mid-1920’s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Company

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 2

Re: In the mid-1920’s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2014, 11:36
This SC can be solved by either focusing on some rather specific verb rules OR by focusing on the "intent" of the sentence. I chose the second option, which allowed me to quickly eliminate all 4 wrong answers.

1) Intent: Experiments, by definition, are about cause-and-effect. For example, if you experiment by taking a diet drug, then how much weight will you lose? The experiment is run to investigate the EFFECT. This SC describes a "series of experiments….." There's only one answer that properly phrases this idea.

Final Answer: B

As far as the verb issues involved, we know that we're in the past (the reference to "the mid-1920s" and the verb "was"), so we need a verb that properly describes the action. From the structure of the sentence, it seems that there were experiments that took some time to run. It wasn't one experiment at one point in time, it was multiple experiments that took awhile to run. The verb "investigating" defines the activity that was taking place. These isolated experiments were also likely meant to define what "would" happen to other workers' performances given certain conditions. Each of these verbs appears in the correct answer

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 192

Concentration: Finance, Finance
Re: In the mid-1920’s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Company [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2014, 10:25
pqhai wrote:
Hello Raihanuddin

Here is my 2 cents.

In the mid-1920’s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Company was the scene of an intensive series of experiments that would investigate changes in working conditions as to their effects on workers’ performance.

(A) that would investigate changes in working conditions as to their effects on workers’ performance
Wrong.
- Why A uses "would investigate" that implies an intention. In fact, the action - "investigate - happened in the past.
- "as to" does not make any sense.

(B) investigating the effects that changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance
Correct.
- "investigating" is a verb-ing modifier

(C) for investigating what are the effects in workers’ performance that changes in working conditions would cause
Wrong.
- "for investigating" sounds wrong. To express a purpose, we should use "TO + Verb" not "For + VerbING".
- "that" modifies "performance" incorrectly.

(D) that investigated changes in working conditions’ effects on workers’ performance
Wrong.
- D changes meaning. Because of the possessive form - "working conditions' effects" ==> the ultimate main noun is "effects" NOT "working conditions" ==> a compound noun becomes "changes in effects". Definitely, "change in effects on workers’ performance" is nonsensical in this sentence.
For example: changes of water's colors ==> means "change of colors" NOT "changes of water".

(E) to investigate what the effects changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance
Wrong.
- "The effects changes" is wrong. The correct meaning is changes in working conditions have effects on workers' performance.

Hope it's clear.

How "that changes" in correct option is correct? Which word is "that" referring?
Verb+ing modifier without comma modifies the preceding noun, according to EGMAT. So I don't know how I will choose the correct option in exam time.

Because for the above reason I will eliminate B in my POE.

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 192

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V28

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2015, 15:49
to investigate what the effects changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance

Whenever to in used it is used for intended purpose in GMAT.

The people went to the crime scene - to investigate the cause

The above statement is a general fact. The purpose wasn't there, so to changes the meaning of the original sentence.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

SVP
SVP
B

Kudos [?]: 550 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2016, 20:35
Option A: The invesitgation has already happened. we need simple past, not "would investigate"
Option C: This here is just too wordy to be given a serious consideration.
Option D: This changes the meaning and makes "working conditions" the main noun. Whereas the main noun should be "effects"
Option E: To investigate what the effects changes in working conditions would have on workers' performance.
The bold portion does not makes sense.

Correct option: B

Kudos [?]: 550 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 05:09
What is wrong with answer choice D..? Clearly conveys the same meaning..

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 138

GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 11:36
Quote:
In xxxx the H.W.W.E.C. was the scene of xxxxx ____________________.

By looking this way becomes easier to recognize why it is "B"

Quote:
(B) investigating the effects that changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 221

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2016, 08:11
why the OA is B??
I 've eliminated it for '....the effects(plural) that changes(singular)...'
though I think it's participle
ok kindly explain it.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 221

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2016, 11:24
Here is my two cents

To "see" the right answer as the right one it is core to understand three concepts in English Grammar:

1) Complex Sentences
2) Clause reduction of a Progressive Verb
3) Adjectival Clause
http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/clauses-10.html

The relative pronoun (that, who, which) and the be verb in a prepositional phrase may be omitted.

The man who is writing the book researched Ian Fleming. (Full modifying clause)
The man writing the book researched Ian Fleming. (REDUCED MODIFYING CLAUSE)

Exactly same meaning, but different wording.

Back to the stem

In the mid-1920’s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Company was the scene of an intensive series of experiments investigating the effects that changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance.

the (...) Company was the scene of an intensive series of experiments that was investigating the effects that changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance

For

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 55

GPA: 3.37

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2016, 12:28
413. In the mid-1920’s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Company was the scene of an intensive series of experiments that would investigate changes in working conditions as to their effects on workers’ performance.

(A) that would investigate changes in working conditions as to their effects on workers’ performance

This happened in the 1920s--would doesn't make sense b/c it happened in the past

(C) for investigating what are the effects in workers’ performance that changes in working conditions would cause
for investigating is wrong, so is effects in should be effects on

(D) that investigated changes in working conditions’ effects on workers’ performance
this doens't make sense. This implies that the CHANGES themselves effect the work's performance but it was really the working conditions

(E) to investigate what the effects changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance
using "the" doens't make sense

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 55

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3640 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2016, 04:24
soumya170293 wrote:
why the OA is B??
I 've eliminated it for '....the effects(plural) that changes(singular)...'
though I think it's participle
ok kindly explain it.

"Changes" is noun - it is the subject of the "that" clause. Here "that" is the object of the clause and "would have" is the verb:

Changes in working conditions would have effects (that) on workers’ performance.

Kudos [?]: 3640 [0], given: 22

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 57

Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2016, 17:57
In A, it is unclear whether their refers to changes or to conditions.
Eliminate A.

C: The Hawthorne Works WAS the scene...for investigating...what the effects...ARE.
Here, the sequence of events is illogical:
It is not possible that the Hawthorne Works WAS the scene (in the past) for investigating what the effects ARE (in the present).
Eliminate C.

D: changes in working conditions' effects
Here, there are changes in the EFFECTS.
The intended meaning of the original sentence is that there were changes in the WORKING CONDITIONS THEMSELVES.
Since D does not convey the intended meaning, eliminate D.

Construction: what + the + NOUN.
In this construction, what generally serves as the DIRECT OBJECT of a subsequent verb, while the + NOUN serves as the SUBJECT of this verb.
The director does not understand what the author of the graphic novel intended.
Here, what serves as the direct object of intended, while the author serves as the subject of this verb.
Conveyed meaning:
The author intended WHAT.

E: what the effects changes in working conditions would have on workers' performance
Implication of the portions in red:
The effects would have WHAT.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate E.

Canadian Bschools: Detailed comparison
Resume Guides

If you found my post helpful, kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :) ..TIA

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 57

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 74

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 23:17
Runner2 wrote:
guys clearly B
changes NOT in effects of working conditions BUT changes in working conditions

Could you please elaborate.
What about option D? How did you eliminate the rest of the option? It seems every other option has few error.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 74

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 972 [0], given: 71

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 23:58
SANGEET77 wrote:
Could you please elaborate.
What about option D? How did you eliminate the rest of the option? It seems every other option has few error.

D has an awkward construction. Actually, D doesn't tell the correct meaning. experiments that investigated changes in conditions'effects on something.

It tells one conditions effect on something while the original sentence means the effect of one change in X to corresponding change in Y.

While B clearly tells that these experiments investigates the effect of one change on another. Hence, clear and concise.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 972 [0], given: 71

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 35

GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 07:58
In the mid-1920’s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Company was the scene of an intensive series of experiments that would investigate changes in working conditions as to their effects on workers’ performance.

very complex.
was < > for
it should be 'effects'

In case you find my posts helpful, give me Kudos. Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 35

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 17:59
Hey guys, apologies to dig up an old question again. Can someone help me quickly with B vs D? I read other comments and am still a little lost.

B) My problem with B is that I believe it is modifying "scene", which doesn't make sense. Both "of an intensive series" and "of experiments" are prepositional phrases and thus modifiers in their own right.

D) Some of the people above were saying that the reason D is wrong is because "that" shows the clause that follows is modifying experiment.How is modifying experiment any less logical than modifying scene?

I guess what I am getting stuck on is how some can argue that the present participle "investigating" is modifying the entire clause in front of it. I thought only adverbial modifiers do that, and in that case you would need a comma -ing, right?

Kudos to whoever helps me out. Thanks in advance.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 06:04
Can someone help me quickly with B vs D? I read other comments and am still a little lost.

B) My problem with B is that I believe it is modifying "scene", which doesn't make sense. Both "of an intensive series" and "of experiments" are prepositional phrases and thus modifiers in their own right.

D) Some of the people above were saying that the reason D is wrong is because "that" shows the clause that follows is modifying experiment.How is modifying experiment any less logical than modifying scene?

I guess what I am getting stuck on is how some can argue that the present participle "investigating" is modifying the entire clause in front of it. I thought only adverbial modifiers do that, and in that case you would need a comma -ing, right?

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 87

Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 580 Q49 V21
GPA: 3.75
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 06:38
leeye84 wrote:
413. In the mid-1920’s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Company was the scene of an intensive series of experiments that would investigate changes in working conditions as to their effects on workers’ performance.

Error Analysis:
Option A: the usage as is incorrect.
Option B:Correct
Option C: Inappropriate sentence formation and poor structure.
Option D: Ambiguous and unclear
Option E:usage of what is incorrect and to investigate changes the meaning.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 87

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2046 [4], given: 465

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 09:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
pafrompa wrote:
Can someone help me quickly with B vs D? I read other comments and am still a little lost.

Yeah, this is a tricky little question. It's true that "investigating" (or any other "-ing" modifier) will often modify an entire clause, but I don't actually think it's true in this case.

In (B), I'm comfortable saying that "investigating" is just an adjective that modifies "series of experiments." There's some finesse involved here, to be fair: sure, a modifier can "reach back" through a bunch of prepositional phrases, but in general, the modifier is going to be as close as possible to thing it's modifying. So with any noun modifier -- that, which, "-ing", or anything else -- your first thought should be that it modifies the preceding noun. If that doesn't make sense, see if there's something else "behind" a prepositional phrase that would make sense. But don't assume that the modifier is always reaching way back across several prepositions. That can happen, but it shouldn't be your first thought.

(D) isn't all that different from (B) in terms of the meaning of the modifier: "that investigated changes" modifies the nearest noun, "series of experiments" or just "experiments." That seems OK.

The trickier thing is the meaning difference between (B) and (D). In (D), what, exactly, is the thing that changes? The effects (of working conditions) change -- not the working conditions themselves. In (B), the working conditions actually change -- and the researchers are figuring out the effects of those changes on workers' performance.

Does that help at all?

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2046 [4], given: 465

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
GMATNinja wrote:
pafrompa wrote:

Yeah, this is a tricky little question. It's true that "investigating" (or any other "-ing" modifier) will often modify an entire clause, but I don't actually think it's true in this case.

In (B), I'm comfortable saying that "investigating" is just an adjective that modifies "series of experiments." There's some finesse involved here, to be fair: sure, a modifier can "reach back" through a bunch of prepositional phrases, but in general, the modifier is going to be as close as possible to thing it's modifying. So with any noun modifier -- that, which, "-ing", or anything else -- your first thought should be that it modifies the preceding noun. If that doesn't make sense, see if there's something else "behind" a prepositional phrase that would make sense. But don't assume that the modifier is always reaching way back across several prepositions. That can happen, but it shouldn't be your first thought.

(D) isn't all that different from (B) in terms of the meaning of the modifier: "that investigated changes" modifies the nearest noun, "series of experiments" or just "experiments." That seems OK.

The trickier thing is the meaning difference between (B) and (D). In (D), what, exactly, is the thing that changes? The effects (of working conditions) change -- not the working conditions themselves. In (B), the working conditions actually change -- and the researchers are figuring out the effects of those changes on workers' performance.

Does that help at all?

Hey GMAT Ninja,

Yes that does help a lot. I'll try to not get too hung up on prepositions in the future. I think the "meaning" issue you drove home is what really benefitted me though, I was too concerned with the modifier issue to really take notice of the subtle change in meaning. Thanks a lot!

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 7

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 571

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 09:07
Imo B
That is unnecessary here hence it is wrong .
In the original sentence that refers to experiments would suggest , that is illogical .
D also has the same problem as A and awkward use of possessive .
C is wordy and use what is not proper .
E is also wrong to what and the sentence is very convoluted .

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 571

Re: In the mid-1920’s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Company   [#permalink] 04 Jul 2017, 09:07

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 

In the mid-1920’s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Company

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap