Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [1]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [1]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [5]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: In the mid-1920’s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Company [#permalink]
Can someone help me quickly with B vs D? I read other comments and am still a little lost.

B) My problem with B is that I believe it is modifying "scene", which doesn't make sense. Both "of an intensive series" and "of experiments" are prepositional phrases and thus modifiers in their own right.

D) Some of the people above were saying that the reason D is wrong is because "that" shows the clause that follows is modifying experiment.How is modifying experiment any less logical than modifying scene?

I guess what I am getting stuck on is how some can argue that the present participle "investigating" is modifying the entire clause in front of it. I thought only adverbial modifiers do that, and in that case you would need a comma -ing, right?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [2]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: In the mid-1920’s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Company [#permalink]
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:
In the mid-1920’s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Company was the scene of an intensive series of experiments that would investigate changes in working conditions as to their effects on workers’ performance.

(A) that would investigate changes in working conditions as to their effects on workers’ performance

(B) investigating the effects that changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance

(C) for investigating what are the effects in workers’ performance that changes in working conditions would cause

(D) that investigated changes in working conditions’ effects on workers’ performance

(E) to investigate what the effects changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance

B and D are close. However, the subtlety lies in the interchange of words in these options.
The idea of the sentence is to show that the experiments were carried out to investigate the effects that changes (of xyz) would have.
D goes wrong in presenting the idea of investigating changes

--B--
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [3]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
In the mid-1920’s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Company was the scene of an intensive series of experiments that would investigate changes in working conditions as to their effects on workers’ performance.

(A) that would investigate changes in working conditions as to their effects on workers’ performance
“their” in "investigate changes ... as to their effects" is unclear

(B) investigating the effects that changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance -- Correct

(C) for investigating what are the effects in workers’ performance that changes in working conditions would cause
the sequence of events is illogical

(D) that investigated changes in working conditions’ effects on workers’ performance
The intended meaning involves “effects of the changes”, but this choice seems to indicate that the conditions themselves haven't changed - only their “effects” have.

(E) to investigate what the effects changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance
"to investigate X" is concise and clear as compared to "to investigate what X is"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
hello,
i option B, singular verb "changes" refers to which subject?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
thaya wrote:
hello,
i option B, singular verb "changes" refers to which subject?
Changes is a noun here, and it forms a subject-verb pair with would have.

the effects that changes in working conditions would have (~"changes would have effects")
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
This thing is painful. Good luck to us.

Quote:

The word “that” always jumps out at me (more on the GMAT’s uses of “that” in this article), but I don’t think it’s doing anything wrong here: “that would investigate changes…” just modifies the “series of experiments.” No worries there.

There are plenty of other issues with (A), though. For starters, “their” isn’t quite as clear as I’d like it to be: “their” could refer to “changes in working conditions” or just “working conditions” or maybe even “experiments”. Pronoun ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule on the GMAT, and I don't think that “their” is WRONG here. But we can probably do better.

A clearer reason why (A) is wrong is the conditional verb “would investigate.” The series of experiments actually investigated those changes, so the conditional doesn’t make sense here.

Finally, I don’t think that the phrase “investigated changes… as to their effects on workers’ performance” is very direct. Why wouldn’t we just say that the experiments “investigated the effects of changes…” instead of doing this wordy, weird thing that suggests that the experiments investigated the changes themselves?

So we have plenty of pretty good reasons to eliminate (A).

Quote:
(B) investigating the effects that changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance

(B) cleans up most of the issues that we had with (A). We don’t have any pronoun problems now, and the meaning is much clearer in general: now the experiments investigate “the effects” of changes – and that makes much more sense than investigating the changes themselves, as (A) suggested.

I’m also OK with the use of the “-ing” adjective, “investigating”, as a modifier for the “series of experiments.” (More on the GMAT’s various uses of “-ing” words in this article.)

You might also be wondering about the use of the conditional in (B). I had a problem with it in (A), because it’s a fact that the experiments actually investigated the effects of changes in working conditions; the conditional, as placed in (A), made no sense. But in (B)? The use of the conditional is in a different spot, and now it's fine: the experiments investigated the potential effects of changes in working conditions, so the phrase “effects that changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance” is completely appropriate. Even if it sounds funny.

So let’s keep (B).

Quote:

(C) is a hot mess, and it feels like the GMAT is just clowning us with this one. It’s so messy that it’s hard to even explain why it’s such a s#!t-show. Here’s a list of objections:

1. It’s awfully awkward to say “series of experiments for investigating.” No, the series of experiments actually investigated something, so “series of experiments that investigated” or “series of experiments investigating” are both fine, but “for investigating” wouldn’t work.

2. There’s no reason to include the words “what are” in this sentence; “investigating the effects” would be enough...

3. … Except that “effects in workers’ performance” makes no sense at all. I can’t even figure out what that phrase literally means.

4. “effects… that changes… would cause” is arguably redundant. If we’re already calling something an “effect”, then it’s hard to argue that we really need to restate the word “cause.”

I can’t believe I spent this much time thinking about (C). I’m mad at myself now. Moving on…

Quote:

This is the answer choice that most of my students seem to fall in love with! (And you probably already know that you shouldn’t fall in love on GMAT verbal questions.) The problem here isn’t grammatical, though: it’s just that the meaning gets a little bit warped.

Let’s think about the intended meaning of the sentence: the experiments investigated the effects of “changes in working conditions”, right? The company changed working conditions, and then examined how those changes affected worker performance.

But (D) is saying something slightly different: the experiments “investigated changes in working conditions’ effects.” That’s wrong! We’re not interested in changes in the effects on workers’ performance -- the working conditions change, not the effects themselves.

Tricky, huh? So (D) is out.

Let’s line our last two options up side-by-side, to make it a little bit easier to see why (E) is wrong:
Quote:

These two aren’t terribly different from each other. For starters, I think it’s a little bit clearer to just use the “-ing” adjective “investigating” to modify the “series of experiments” – there’s no reason to say “to investigate” in this case. I wouldn’t eliminate (E) based SOLELY on that issue, but it’s a small strike against (E).

The other problem with (E) is the phrase “what the effects changes…” At the very least, that’s awkward AF. You could also argue that the word “what” is just a waste of space: the experiments investigated “the effects”, so why stick “what” in there? It just doesn’t make any sense.

So (B) is the best we can do.

Dear GMATNinja Thank you for the explanation. Could you please tell me if "that" in the choice B is a connector or a pronoun modifier? If "that" is a modifier why changes is plural? Can not understand the sentence structure properly, even though I answered correctly. Please help. Thanks.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ypetrunina wrote:
Dear GMATNinja Thank you for the explanation. Could you please tell me if "that" in the choice B is a connector or a pronoun modifier? If "that" is a modifier why changes is plural? Can not understand the sentence structure properly, even though I answered correctly. Please help. Thanks.

Think about these two examples:

• "My store sells hardware that contractors use to build houses." - What hardware does my store sell? Hardware used by contractors to build houses. The "that" clause modifies hardware.
  • "My store sells hardware that the contractor uses to build houses." - Here the "that" clause has a singular subject ("contractor") instead of a plural one ("contractors"). But regardless of whether the subject of the "that" clauses is singular or plural, the structure is the same.

We have something similar in this problem. The "that" clause modifies "effects". What "effects" are we talking about? The ones that "changes in working conditions" would have on performance. This is a regular ol' noun modifier, and it makes no difference whether the subject-verb pair within the "that" clause is singular or plural.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
leeye84 wrote:

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

Scientific American Resource Library: Readings in Psychology, Volume 2

The name comes from the Western Electric Company's Hawthorne Works in Chicago. In the 1920's the plant was the scene of an intensive series of experiments designed to determine what effect various changes in working conditions would have on the performance of female workers.

First, as Mike Mcgarry pointed out in an earlier post, it's fairly common to take a little license with what performs an action. Stores sell goods. Books make arguments. Experiments investigate effects. Are these sentences literally true? Debatable. While Home Depot doesn't sell you a rake the same way a salesperson would, and books don't tap you on the shoulder and argue with you in a coffee shop, we know what the writer means in those examples, so we wouldn't categorize them as logical errors.

But the more important takeaway here is a strategic one. If you see something that you think is a mistake, but every answer choice contains a variation of this "error," then you need to shift your focus! In this case, none of the answer choices contains an experimenter to do the investigation! In (A),(B), and (D), it's the experiments that investigate, while in (C) and (E), it seems to be the "scene" doing the investigating. Either way, if we can't fix the logical "error," then we have to assume that the construction is acceptable, and move on to other issues.

The takeaway: don't get tunnel vision! Our job isn't to create the perfect sentence, but instead to find the best of the available options. If something is less than ideal, but it appears in every answer choice, we need to have a flexible mindset and accept that "less than ideal" isn't necessarily wrong on the GMAT.

I hope that helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
In the mid-1920’s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Company [#permalink]
Hi AndrewN VeritasKarishma AjiteshArun

My main confusion is on matching effects with singular or plural after “that”

Example:
We have to investigate the effects that medicine does on humans

Question1:
“That” here acts as modifier or subordinate clause ?

Is it Wrong?
Because (effects (plural) doesn’t match with DOES (singular) )- WRONG

Or
Is it Correct?
Because a medicine can bring multiple effects on humans. What is role of “that” in such a case.

Note:
Learnt usage of that from here: - subordinating clauses with “that” vs "that" as a modifier

Question2:
Usually that as sub-ordinating clause come after verb( modifies verb) .
I told him that you have to do high performance. ( told what? – told that you xxx ce.)
2. Can you share example of that as sub-ordinate clause but modifies noun?

Question3: I choose C confidentially and rejected B . But found I am wrong. please correct my thinking.
Due to my above confusion, I could not choose B and marked C because I could understand the expression more clearly.

Quote:

i.
Effects that ?
Would have on workers’ performance
( what changes in working conditions is doing)
Or
ii.
effects that
changes in working conditions ( not investigate the effects that changes in working conditions but need to investigate the effects on workers performance)
would have on workers’ performance
So b should be wrong because of i or ii. Hence i rejected B.

Quote:

for investigating
what are the effects in workers’ performance
that changes in working conditions ( modifies effects )
would cause ( verb for effects- correct)

It expressed the meaning clearly so I choose C.

please suggest.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
In the mid-1920’s the Hawthorne Works of the Western Electric Company [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:

Example:

Question1:

Is it Wrong?

Or
Is it Correct?
Because a medicine can bring multiple effects on humans. What is role of “that” in such a case.

Note:
Learnt usage of that from here: - subordinating clauses with “that” vs "that" as a modifier

Question2:
I told him that you have to do high performance. ( told what? – told that you xxx ce.)

Question3: I choose C confidentially and rejected B . But found I am wrong. please correct my thinking.
Due to my above confusion, I could not choose B and marked C because I could understand the expression more clearly.

Quote:

i.
Effects that ?
Or
ii.
effects that
changes in working conditions ( not investigate the effects that changes in working conditions but need to investigate the effects on workers performance)

Quote:

for investigating

please suggest.

Hi mSKR,

Let's change the does to has:

We have to investigate the effects that medicine has on humans.

1. The answer to your question is: both. The two categories are not exclusive, as a lot of subordinate clauses act as modifiers. In this case, that introduces a subordinate clause, and that entire subordinate clause acts as a modifier (for the noun effects).

In this particular sentence, there is a subject after that (medicine). The verb within the that-clause will agree with this subject.

Even though that points to effects, look at what that clause is meant to be read as:

medicine has (effects) ← That is, it is not the effects that "have" or "has" something. It is medicine that "has effects".

This changes if we don't have a subject after that:

... the side effects that have been observed

We can read the clause as:

(the side effects) have been observed ← In this case, it is the side effects that "have been observed", and therefore the have agrees with side effects.

2. In your sentence itself, the that introduces a subordinate clause that modifies a noun (that refers to effects).

3. The most important thing here is that changes is a noun (in this case). This means that there is a subject after the that, and we should not try to make the noun before the that pair with the verb after the that.

investigating the effects that changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance

We can read that clause as:

changes in working conditions would have (effects on worker's performance) ← Again, it is not the effects that "would have" something. The effects are what the changes "would have".
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
mSKR wrote:

Example:

Question1:

Is it Wrong?

Or
Is it Correct?

Note:

Question2:

Quote:

i.
Effects that ?
Or
ii.
effects that

Quote:

for investigating

please suggest.

Hi mSKR,

Let's change the does to has:

1. The answer to your question is: both. The two categories are not exclusive, as a lot of subordinate clauses act as modifiers. In this case, that introduces a subordinate clause, and that entire subordinate clause acts as a modifier (for the noun effects).

In this particular sentence, there is a subject after that (medicine). The verb within the that-clause will agree with this subject.

Even though that points to effects, look at what that clause is meant to be read as:

medicine has (effects) ← That is, it is not the effects that "have" or "has" something. It is medicine that "has effects".

This changes if we don't have a subject after that:

... the side effects that have been observed

We can read the clause as:

(the side effects) have been observed ← In this case, it is the side effects that "have been observed", and therefore the have agrees with side effects.

2. In your sentence itself, the that introduces a subordinate clause that modifies a noun (that refers to effects).

3. The most important thing here is that changes is a noun (in this case). This means that there is a subject after the that, and we should not try to make the noun before the that pair with the verb after the that.

investigating the effects that changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance

We can read that clause as:

changes in working conditions would have (effects on worker's performance) ← Again, it is not the effects that "would have" something. The effects are what the changes "would have".

Thanks Sir for explaining so clearly .

B is pretty clear. I am still confused with C

Quote:

C rejected in above posts because :
1. what are -is redundant : But we can't say it as wrong.
example: for investigating what were the tests Yes, its better to say for investigating the tests. can we keep on hold for this one?
or
strongly reject : because what are doesn't fit anywhere.

read as: what are changes in working conditions would cause the effects in workers’ performance?

Please confirm.

2. are / would cause - Does verb not agree with each other?
will be --> would cause is right?
are --> would cause is definitely wrong?

3. performance that changes in working conditions -- even changes in working conditions modifies performance, what's wrong with that? Yes performance would vary with working conditions? so we can keep this also on hold?

4. we can read as: changes in working conditions would cause effects in workers' performance ?
cause effects : can not be together? right? - so this must be wrong? please clarify.
cause effects in workers performance - wrong?
or
have effects on workers' performance - right?
is 4 a strong reason to reject?

5. Any other error that can be used to reject C?

Please give your comments AjiteshArun AndrewN for C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
pafrompa wrote:
Can someone help me quickly with B vs D? I read other comments and am still a little lost.

B) My problem with B is that I believe it is modifying "scene", which doesn't make sense. Both "of an intensive series" and "of experiments" are prepositional phrases and thus modifiers in their own right.

D) Some of the people above were saying that the reason D is wrong is because "that" shows the clause that follows is modifying experiment.How is modifying experiment any less logical than modifying scene?

I guess what I am getting stuck on is how some can argue that the present participle "investigating" is modifying the entire clause in front of it. I thought only adverbial modifiers do that, and in that case you would need a comma -ing, right?

Yeah, this is a tricky little question. It's true that "investigating" (or any other "-ing" modifier) will often modify an entire clause, but I don't actually think it's true in this case.

In (B), I'm comfortable saying that "investigating" is just an adjective that modifies "series of experiments." There's some finesse involved here, to be fair: sure, a modifier can "reach back" through a bunch of prepositional phrases, but in general, the modifier is going to be as close as possible to thing it's modifying. So with any noun modifier -- that, which, "-ing", or anything else -- your first thought should be that it modifies the preceding noun. If that doesn't make sense, see if there's something else "behind" a prepositional phrase that would make sense. But don't assume that the modifier is always reaching way back across several prepositions. That can happen, but it shouldn't be your first thought.

(D) isn't all that different from (B) in terms of the meaning of the modifier: "that investigated changes" modifies the nearest noun, "series of experiments" or just "experiments." That seems OK.

The trickier thing is the meaning difference between (B) and (D). In (D), what, exactly, is the thing that changes? The effects (of working conditions) change -- not the working conditions themselves. In (B), the working conditions actually change -- and the researchers are figuring out the effects of those changes on workers' performance.

Does that help at all?

So the verb "would" in (B) in for "effects" and not "working conditions"?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
Thanks Sir for explaining so clearly .

B is pretty clear. I am still confused with C

Quote:

C rejected in above posts because :
1. what are -is redundant : But we can't say it as wrong.
example: for investigating what were the tests Yes, its better to say for investigating the tests. can we keep on hold for this one?
or
strongly reject : because what are doesn't fit anywhere.

read as: what are changes in working conditions would cause the effects in workers’ performance?

Please confirm.

2. are / would cause - Does verb not agree with each other?
will be --> would cause is right?
are --> would cause is definitely wrong?

3. performance that changes in working conditions -- even changes in working conditions modifies performance, what's wrong with that? Yes performance would vary with working conditions? so we can keep this also on hold?

4. we can read as: changes in working conditions would cause effects in workers' performance ?
cause effects : can not be together? right? - so this must be wrong? please clarify.
cause effects in workers performance - wrong?
or
have effects on workers' performance - right?
is 4 a strong reason to reject?

5. Any other error that can be used to reject C?

Please give your comments AjiteshArun AndrewN for C.

Yes, that was a top-notch response above to your original query. I am a bit late to the party, so I will merely comment on (C). First off, I am surprised you did not draw attention to the opening preposition, for. If you compare (B) and (C) side by side, you have to ask yourself, Is "for" necessary? The answer is no, the preposition adds nothing essential to the sentence—an intensive series of experiments investigating works fine on its own. Then, you are correct in saying that what are is floating around without purpose in answer (C). Again, compare to (B), in which investigating the effects conveys everything that the more mealymouthed investigating what are the effects expresses. Strike two. Finally, there is a reversed arrow of causality in (C) that hinders a clear message from being delivered. Whereas (B) mentions causes—in changes—before effects—in workers' performance—(C) begins with the effects and works backwards to the causes. So, while this third issue may not be incorrect in an isolated sentence, it creates a compelling case for a third strike in this particular sentence, especially when compared to (B). In sum:

Quote:

(B) [1] investigating [2] the effects that [3] changes in working conditions [3] would have on workers’ performance
(C) [1] for investigating [2] what are [3] the effects in workers’ performance that changes in working conditions [3] would cause

I hope that helps you feel better about ruling out (C). Thank you for thinking to ask me about it.

- Andrew
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
lakshya14 wrote:
So the verb "would" in (B) in for "effects" and not "working conditions"?

Hello, lakshya14. I happened to be drawing attention to this issue in (C) in my post just above. In (B), would agrees with changes—i.e. the effects that changes would have—as is the case in (C), where everything is the same but the final verb—the effects that changes would cause.

I am not sure whether this new information will help you answer the question, but it does at least answer the question you asked.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
This thing is painful. Good luck to us.

Quote:

The word “that” always jumps out at me (more on the GMAT’s uses of “that” in this article), but I don’t think it’s doing anything wrong here: “that would investigate changes…” just modifies the “series of experiments.” No worries there.

There are plenty of other issues with (A), though. For starters, “their” isn’t quite as clear as I’d like it to be: “their” could refer to “changes in working conditions” or just “working conditions” or maybe even “experiments”. Pronoun ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule on the GMAT, and I don't think that “their” is WRONG here. But we can probably do better.

A clearer reason why (A) is wrong is the conditional verb “would investigate.” The series of experiments actually investigated those changes, so the conditional doesn’t make sense here.

Finally, I don’t think that the phrase “investigated changes… as to their effects on workers’ performance” is very direct. Why wouldn’t we just say that the experiments “investigated the effects of changes…” instead of doing this wordy, weird thing that suggests that the experiments investigated the changes themselves?

So we have plenty of pretty good reasons to eliminate (A).

Quote:

(B) cleans up most of the issues that we had with (A). We don’t have any pronoun problems now, and the meaning is much clearer in general: now the experiments investigate “the effects” of changes – and that makes much more sense than investigating the changes themselves, as (A) suggested.

I’m also OK with the use of the “-ing” adjective, “investigating”, as a modifier for the “series of experiments.” (More on the GMAT’s various uses of “-ing” words in this article.)

You might also be wondering about the use of the conditional in (B). I had a problem with it in (A), because it’s a fact that the experiments actually investigated the effects of changes in working conditions; the conditional, as placed in (A), made no sense. But in (B)? The use of the conditional is in a different spot, and now it's fine: the experiments investigated the potential effects of changes in working conditions, so the phrase “effects that changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance” is completely appropriate. Even if it sounds funny.

So let’s keep (B).

Quote:

(C) is a hot mess, and it feels like the GMAT is just clowning us with this one. It’s so messy that it’s hard to even explain why it’s such a s#!t-show. Here’s a list of objections:

1. It’s awfully awkward to say “series of experiments for investigating.” No, the series of experiments actually investigated something, so “series of experiments that investigated” or “series of experiments investigating” are both fine, but “for investigating” wouldn’t work.

2. There’s no reason to include the words “what are” in this sentence; “investigating the effects” would be enough...

3. … Except that “effects in workers’ performance” makes no sense at all. I can’t even figure out what that phrase literally means.

4. “effects… that changes… would cause” is arguably redundant. If we’re already calling something an “effect”, then it’s hard to argue that we really need to restate the word “cause.”

I can’t believe I spent this much time thinking about (C). I’m mad at myself now. Moving on…

Quote:

This is the answer choice that most of my students seem to fall in love with! (And you probably already know that you shouldn’t fall in love on GMAT verbal questions.) The problem here isn’t grammatical, though: it’s just that the meaning gets a little bit warped.

Let’s think about the intended meaning of the sentence: the experiments investigated the effects of “changes in working conditions”, right? The company changed working conditions, and then examined how those changes affected worker performance.

But (D) is saying something slightly different: the experiments “investigated changes in working conditions’ effects.” That’s wrong! We’re not interested in changes in the effects on workers’ performance -- the working conditions change, not the effects themselves.

Tricky, huh? So (D) is out.

Let’s line our last two options up side-by-side, to make it a little bit easier to see why (E) is wrong:
Quote:

These two aren’t terribly different from each other. For starters, I think it’s a little bit clearer to just use the “-ing” adjective “investigating” to modify the “series of experiments” – there’s no reason to say “to investigate” in this case. I wouldn’t eliminate (E) based SOLELY on that issue, but it’s a small strike against (E).

The other problem with (E) is the phrase “what the effects changes…” At the very least, that’s awkward AF. You could also argue that the word “what” is just a waste of space: the experiments investigated “the effects”, so why stick “what” in there? It just doesn’t make any sense.

So (B) is the best we can do.

Can we use "effects" with plural? I mean shouldn't we use "effect" with plural and "effects" with singular. I am a little bit confused on this one
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AkhilAggarwal wrote:
Can we use "effects" with plural? I mean shouldn't we use "effect" with plural and "effects" with singular. I am a little bit confused on this one

Note that "effect" (with an "e") is a noun, and "effects" is the plural version (i.e. "The policy change had several negative effects on the local community."). Confusingly, "affects" and "affect" (with an "a") are verbs -- "affects" is is the singular verb form, while "affect" is the plural verb form (i.e. "The policy change affects all of us.").

Isn't English great? :roll:

In this example, "effects" is a plural noun, and "that changes in working conditions" modifies that noun.

And if you're wondering why "changes" is plural, check out this post.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Hi avigutman – qq on D. Option D employs the structure: X’s Y [aka Y of X]

Now what is X exactly? Per many posts

Interpretation # 1
X = working conditions
Y = effects
If you think that X = working conditions, then option D reads as --> you investigated changes in (adjective ) effects on performance

Interpretation # 1 is not accurate as I believe changes should be referring to working conditions specifically.

However, when I read option D, I thought the X phrase was different.

Interpretation # 2
X = changes in working conditions [changes in is included as part of the X phrase itself ]
Y = effects

Option D i believe reads completely differently now. Option D now reads as :

--> You investigated (adjective) effects on performance.

This I believe IS the original intent of the passage especially given
i. changes in this interpretation is referring to working conditions as originally intended
ii. The sentence now reads as : You investigated effects (of changes in working conditions ) on performance

Thus I could not think of how to how to eliminate D with my interepretation of X's Y
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts