Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 10:40 It is currently 14 May 2024, 10:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 444
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.84
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: PMI
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Operations (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: PMI
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Operations (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kelley (Indiana) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Kudos
sj0070 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I submitted my application yesterday. Got one submission email from Kelley.
Nothing Else.

Read somewhere that they will send an email with a link to check the status of the application- Is that true? When do we get this email?

Also, Have sent my GMAT scores via email to them, (As mentioned on the website)- any idea how to check if they got that or not?

Can someone please shed some light on the process.. post submission of application.

Thanks
Sj

After you get the email confirmation of application receipt, you get another one with their IStart login details (no use right now!). If you have got these, then there is nothing you can do until the decision deadline of 15 Dec (for R1).
You CANNOT check any status online, which has also been reconfirmed by them in response to a mail i sent.
So it is just 'wait n watch':)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kelley (Indiana) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Umm. So when can R1 applicants expect a reject letter ? Or have they been metaphorically already handed out. :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 262
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
GRE 1: Q163 V162
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
haha, seems so! I have lost all hope of getting an Interview invite as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
abhinavgaur wrote:
haha, seems so! I have lost all hope of getting an Interview invite as well.

in similar state.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: IGOE Fellows Take Full Advantage of NSHMBA Conference & Career Expo
Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA X-NONE

From left to right: Thiago Barreto de Araujo (MBA ‘17, IGOE Fellow), Christina Naguiat (MBA ‘17), 
Vignicius França (MBA ‘17), Sara Marinov (MBA ‘16), Manuel Tejada (MBA ‘17, IGOE Fellow)

By Thiago Barreto de Araujo, MBA ‘17

MBA Fellows of the Institute for Global Organizational Effectiveness attended the 27th NSHMBA Conference & Career expo in Chicago, Illinois, October 8-10, 2015. NSHMBA is the National Society of Hispanic MBAs, which was founded in 1988 with the purpose to be the premier organization for Hispanic business professionals.

The IGOE Impact

The Institute for Global Organizational Effectiveness (IGOE) has been giving its continuous support to Latino and Latin American MBA and PhD students since 2010. In addition to financial support, IGOE provides opportunities to help its Global Fellows succeed in a competitive world. Through regular meetings with Founding and Managing Director Professor Herman Aguinis, doctoral students, MBA students and guests, IGOE allows us to gain knowledge and experiences that prepare us to become innovative and committed leaders.    

The Career Expo

Approximately 50% of the companies at the career expo were Fortune 500 companies. There were opportunities for internships and jobs in different industries, functions and countries. Company representatives were very professional, receptive, and willing to provide information about company cultures and available opportunities.

The Experience

From my perspective, NSHMBA was a great opportunity to learn about companies, to network, and to have a better understanding of what those companies are offering and what they are looking for. I believe that the process to find the best job opportunity takes time and requires perseverance. I had the opportunity to talk to companies across different industries about what was really important. Talking to people from different industries and backgrounds during career expos can be challenging; however, the more we practice, the better we get. I realized how Kelley and IGOE have helped me to become a stronger candidate. Their dedication and passion to prepare their students have been crucial for my improvement. Not only did I benefit from the conference, but other Indiana University participants benefited as well. Some already have their summer internships with Fortune 500 companies in place. Some are in the interview process, while others are still in the process of searching for the best opportunities.

The Interviews

Almost all of us had opportunities to interview with great companies. The interviews were one-on-one and held in private rooms. The job interview is a crucial moment in the job searching process. The candidate must be prepared to stand out among all the candidates in order to succeed. Even for those who did not get a job offer, it was a great opportunity to learn and to improve.

More than a Career Expo

IGOE Fellows not only benefitted from the conference and career expo, but it was also a great team experience. We travelled together and stayed in the same area. Even though we come from different cultures and different backgrounds, arranging our travel plans — where to stay, where to eat, and all the details — was easy. It is evidence that we have been improving our ability to work in teams.

Prepared for the Future

Thank you, IGOE, for the support. We are living proof that IGOE's mission is being accomplished. The whole experience has helped us to become more confident to face the next challenges.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: MBA Career Advice from a "Betterman"

Eric Johnson
By Eric Johnson, Director of Graduate Career Services

Some people can quote Socrates. Others can quote Chaucer.

Me? I can quote Vedder. Eddie Vedder. As in the lead singer of Pearl Jam, my favorite band for the last 20 years. [And writer/singer on the hit song, Betterman, if you are too young to get the pun in the title.]

While you may scoff at this talent I have to tell you that it’s come in handy a lot over the last two weeks. At work, in professional situations, no less.

In fact, much of the career advice I’ve handed out to students lately can be summarized by some of my favorite lines from Eddie Vedder. Here are a few of the ones I’ve used more than once just since Halloween:

“The one thing about going from the audience to the stage in just three years is that you know how it feels to be down there.”

I’ve had a number of MBA students tell me lately that they love everything about the job offer they want to accept except for the fact that they are required to do a sales role at some point in the early stage of their career. One flat out told me, “I didn’t get an MBA to go into a sales job. I came here to do strategy.” As somebody who’s been in both sales and strategy roles I have to call “bullshit.” If you don’t understand your customers then there is no strategy you can develop which will save your company from bankruptcy.

The best leaders I know all have spent significant parts of their careers in roles that are close to the end users of their products and/or services. No role gets you closer than a sales role. It’s not a “check the box” rotation, nor is it an obligation – it’s a gift. You GET to see how your business actually works, and you GET to hear from customers about how you could do it better. With this understanding, you can actually make smarter strategic choices. You’ll actually know how it feels to be “down there”.

“Do you see the way that tree bends? Does it inspire? Leaning out to catch the sun’s rays; a lesson to be applied. Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense.” (From the song, Present Tense)

Many of our students have had the good fortune of being able to choose between multiple offers as they decide where to work after graduation. Lately it seems that many are stuck between a job they really believe will make them happy and a less satisfying job at a company with a globally recognized name. One recently shared with me, “I love the work I would be doing at (Company A) – it’s as close to my dream job as I think I can get. But it’s a small company and (Company B) is one of the best known companies on the planet. I just worry that if I decide I want to do something different in 3-5 years that (Company B) will look better on my resume.”

I get where this student was coming from – to some degree our personal brand is shaped by the brand of the organization we work at. But after our conversation, this student did end up deciding to go with their dream job. While I have a lot of reasons why I think this was a good decision, the one that stands out to me the most is that you can’t make career choices by overweighting the future. You need to be happy with your job, and your life, today. I don’t fault anybody who wants to prepare for the future, but in situations like this the future is almost purely hypothetical – this student could just as easily say that he could see himself at Company A for 30 years. The reality is that he wanted to be happy with his work this year. And that’s the right attitude for any graduate to have – take the job you know you’ll like. You don’t know what the future holds – it makes much more sense to live in the present tense.

“I don’t know what this means, it doesn’t mean anything … there’s too many bands . . .” (From the 1996 Grammy acceptance speech for Spin the Black Circle)

When Pearl Jam won the 1996 Grammy for Best Hard Rock Performance, the aforementioned line was how Eddie Vedder started the band’s speech. In a subsequent interview he explained that he has no idea how people can judge art – there is no best song, best painting, or best book. There is only the song, painting, or book that feels best to each individual person.

Similarly, there is no “Best MBA Job”. There are no awards for getting an offer from Fortune 10 Company for a reason. There is only the best job for you at this point in your life, and that’s true for each and every student.

I say this because twice lately I’ve had good conversations with students who felt a bit dejected by not getting what they felt like was the “best job on campus.” In these cases the “best job” was defined by the fact that they believed the student community held it in higher esteem than any other offer on campus. (The fact that these two students were each focused on a different company is an irony that is not lost on me, nor did it come up in my coaching.) Neither felt the “best job” they were referring to was a particularly good fit, but they were using it as a measuring stick of their personal value relative to their classmates. It was about competition to them, and they felt as though they lost.

Except that they didn’t lose. Each had offers that they really liked. In fact, both felt that they would probably have taken the offer they had over the “best offer” because the work was more in line with what they wanted to do. They just wanted to be able to say they “won”. (Which is not how the MBA job market works anyway, and I have a whole lot of thoughts on this approach that I’ll save for another column.)

There is no best job. Not here, and not anywhere. A “prestigious” offer that you don’t want doesn’t mean anything. There are too many great companies who employ wonderful people who do fantastic work. The pursuit you should focus on is to find the best job for you, and appreciate that it will be different than the best job for your friends. There are just too many jobs out there to measure yourself by other peoples’ standards. Do what you love, and be proud of that.

So maybe Eddie Vedder isn’t Shakespeare, but the man understands life. I have appreciated having access to his wisdom, and would love to hear from you about who you have found inspiring lately.

"TMBA Career Advice from a 'Betterman'” was originally published on Linkedin Pulse on December 1, 2015.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Bloomington Audit: John W. Scott, MBA'16

John W. Scott, MBA'16, and his favorite things.

Not only is the Kelley MBA program among the top in the world, so is our location in Bloomington, Indiana. This incredible college town boasts natural beauty, a low cost of living and is nationally recognized for its food, theater, music and adventure. That’s why we’ve asked John Scott, MBA’16, to continue our #BtownAudit series and share some of his favorite things in Bloomington.

Birthday Beers at Function Brewing
If you are a beer aficionado like me, you will find yourself at home at Function Brewing within the first few sips. The Conjecture IPA is my favorite, and is especially delicious on birthdays! Pair it with one of their stellar paninis and you are on your way to one of the best meals in town.

Green Curry Chicken at My Thai
There are few things I love more than Thai food, and the spicier the better. My Thai is one of my favorite places in town, and I often crave their Green Curry Chicken. Their menu may say you can order up to level 5, but be bold and go for something higher – like level 8!

Harvest Moon at Cardinal Spirits
When the leaves start to turn, the best place to admire the beauty of Bloomington is from Cardinal Spirit’s patio. This year-old local distillery offers some of the best cocktails in town, and their locally-sourced spirits are top-notch.  The Harvest Moon, one of their own creations, has a cinnamon stick and granny apple slices. What’s not to love?

Cold Brew Coffee from Uel Zing
I love to support local. When I find myself in need of a much-needed caffeine boost, I go for some of Uel Zing’s cold brew coffee. It’s delicious and one is enough to last all day!

Walking the dog (or yourself) through the IU campus
IU’s campus is recognized as one of the most beautiful in the country, and when the leaves start to change, it is easy to see how it has earned that title. Walking our puppy through campus and getting lost in the trails is an excellent way to spend an afternoon after class. (For great photos of campus, check out these Instagram accounts: Indiana UniversityKelley School, & Kelley School MBA.)

Saturday Farmer’s Market
Bloomington Farmer’s Market is not only a great place to get some fantastic locally-sourced meats and produce, but it is also a fun way to spend a Saturday morning. Go and enjoy the music, grab some fresh Indiana apples, and cook up something delicious!

Watching the game at The Tap (with Tap Fries, of course)
The Tap is one of the best spots in town, and their plethora of TVs makes it a great meeting spot for watching IU away games. Try one of their 300+ beers in stock and on tap, order some delicious Tap fries, and watch IU win.

Authentic Tacos from La Poblana Taco Truck
Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA X-NONE Love tacos? You won’t find anything better than the ones La Poblana makes. Their Cochinita Pibil and Al Pastor tacos are incredible and will leave you going back for more.

What are your favorite things about Bloomington? Join in on the discussion using the hashtag #BtownAudit.
Manager
Manager
Status:Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
How is everyone doing? Early round folks, tighten the seat belts... I have a hunch that decisions may come next week.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kelley (Indiana) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2015, 10:49
Bookmark
this post
How is everyone doing? Early round folks, tighten the seat belts... I have a hunch that decisions may come next week.

Yes it seems by next Sunday, December 20 decisions will come out. Does anyone know at what point next week this might start to happen?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aaronkapur12 wrote:
Re: Calling all Kelley (Indiana) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2015, 10:49
Bookmark
this post

Yes it seems by next Sunday, December 20 decisions will come out. Does anyone know at what point next week this might start to happen?

Nobody can be sure of that but AdCom. But, looking from last years thread, it could be mid next week, 15-16th December.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 262
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
GRE 1: Q163 V162
Send PM
With 6 days left till the decisions are out, would it be fair to assume that all those who haven't been invited to an interview have been dinged? :|
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
abhinavgaur wrote:
With 6 days left till the decisions are out, would it be fair to assume that all those who haven't been invited to an interview have been dinged? :|

Not necessarily, if not interviewed before decision deadline, you could be waitlisted and interviewed in later rounds.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Are you sure they wait list without interview?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Does anyone know whether Kelley decisions all come on the same day (20th Dec) or are they released in batches via email even before that date?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
chinoo411 wrote:
Are you sure they wait list without interview?

Not sure about Kelley but many other schools do. You can check past year's threads to verify if anyone has reported getting waitlisted without interview.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Other, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
I was on an infosetion and the Adcom said that they don't release them at the same time. They said that they all would be released by the deadline but some could get them a week before some others the day of.

Hope it helps
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Fingers crossed ! Hopefully it all works out just fine for us :) this wait is excruciating
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  23   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts