GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 21:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Kelley (Indiana) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Re: Calling all Kelley (Indiana) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 08:43
Anuj5589 wrote:
Hi,

Has anybody from India opted for a skype interview ??? Did anyone receive the confirmation for skype interview ???

Yes I got one 10 mins back. :)
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Kelley (Indiana) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 08:46
Great !!! So when have you booked ?? Did you give only a single slot as an option or multiple slots ?? Which one did they agree upon ?? And any info on who would be taking it ?? Sorry a lot of questions :P
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 09:05
apeksha12 wrote:
Anuj5589 wrote:
Hi,

Has anybody from India opted for a skype interview ??? Did anyone receive the confirmation for skype interview ???

So, still some hope left for the rest of us. Fingers Crossed!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 09:06
SohamDutta wrote:
http://poetsandquants.com/2015/09/27/the-mba-gatekeeper-at-indiana-kelley/

Nice article by Jim Holmen with application and interview tips for Kelley

Thank you for the link.
That was a good read.
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: PMI
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE: Operations (Aerospace and Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 09:12
apeksha12 wrote:
Anuj5589 wrote:
Hi,

Could you please tell us your date of application? (Just to check lead time! till Interview notice!).
Manager
Manager
IGOE Global Fellows attend ROMBA Conference in Chicago  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 10:01
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: IGOE Global Fellows attend ROMBA Conference in Chicago
Kelley Students Attending ROMBA: From left to right: Guillermo Kalen (Full Time, 1st year, IGOE Global Fellow), Benjaman Holbrook (Evening Program), Alejandra de Caso (Full Time, 2nd year, IGOE Global Fellow), Manuel Tejera (Full Time, 1st year, IGOE Global Fellow), Jonathan Morrill (Full Time, 2nd year), Faraz Hussain (Full Time, 1st year), and Michael Marturana (Kelley Direct).

By Guillermo Kalen, MBA ’17

Reaching Out MBA, Inc., or more commonly known as ROMBA, is a non-profit organization that educates, inspires and connects LGBT business graduate students and professionals to lead the way to equality through its year-round events and its new fellowship program. Its main event is the annual ROMBA conference, which was held in October in Chicago this year. More than 80 companies and 1,400 participants attended. We are grateful to the Institute for Global Organizational Effectiveness, which provided the financial support that allowed us to attend this conference. Conferences like this one enable students to connect with recruiters and other students, to learn through panels from current professional practices, and participate in case competitions in several areas such as entrepreneurship, analytics, marketing, innovation and finance.

Networking at ROMBA was easy to do. It started early with an online job-posting portal and a very useful mobile app that served as a social media tool to connect both students and recruiters in an engaging way. Throughout the event, there were corporate treks, receptions with recruiters, workshops and panels with representatives from different companies, a networking lunch with recruiters, and the career expo. In addition, most companies also hosted or invited students for private coffee chats that were also a great opportunity to network, know about the culture of the company, and ask questions about future opportunities in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

Panels and workshops dealt with a wide range of topics, including the power of networks, brand management, case interviewing, investment banking insights, big data in today’s business environment, strategy, trends in healthcare, rotational programs, experiential innovation, trends in travel and hospitality, exploring non-profit careers, the airlines business and advice from entrepreneurs and venture capitalists. Not only did students get a chance to learn about new trends in different industries, but also to actively participate and engage with company representatives.

As a first-year MBA student, I found case competitions particularly interesting to watch because it gave me a general picture of what the judges expect from the teams, and how there are different types of cases and dynamics in these competitions. I would strongly recommend other students to participate in these in the future because they serve as practice and give participants exposure to recruiters.

Keynote speakers were also very impactful during the conference, particularly in terms of inspiring professionals on actively participating towards equality. These included Bruce Rauner, governor of Illinois, Tim Gill, software entrepreneur, George Kalogridis, CEO of Disney’s Parks and Resorts, Morgana Bailey, TED-talk speaker and human resources activist, and Laverne Cox, actress and LGBT advocate.

Our experience was amazing. We learned, networked, made friends and got interviews. The key for all of this is to do your homework in advance, to be genuine, to reach out and to be open to learn:

• Research about all the companies that are participating (not only the ones you know), and about what they are offering. You might be surprised on how interesting something you find in this process might be for you
  • Contact them and show your interest, either though the portal or by e-mail, since you might get invited to interview, chat or network with them in a private environment. 
  • Remember that networking is not about getting a contact, but about building a relationship. Be genuine, collaborative and open, since this will always come out as strengths when getting to know new people. One of my strongest networking experiences came from a recommendation from an MBA student from another school I met during the conference that recommended me to reach a company that was looking for someone with my background.
Looking forward to ROMBA 2016!
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.34
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 11:53
Anuj5589 wrote:
Hi,

Hi, Indian and opted for a skype interview. I requested them one out of three days(Mon, Tues, Wed) next week and convenient time as 1 or 2 pm CST. Mine got scheduled as per this request and is with a 2nd year Kelley student. Received confirmation today early morning IST. All the best to you..cheers
Manager
Manager
The Power of Maybe So  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 15:01
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: The Power of Maybe So
by Nicolette Michele Johnson, Associate Director of Kelley School's Graduate Career Services

Nicolette Michele Johnson
I remember, years ago, when I was laid off from a large corporation. It was around the housing crisis with a lot of layoffs swirling around. I imagine some people felt bad for me, thinking how unfortunate it was.

During my newly found free time, I read one of Eckhart Tolle’s early books, one that Oprah endorsed as part of her well-known book club that often took authors from relative obscurity to fame in what seemed like mere seconds.

I vaguely remember a story in the book in which an individual was in an auto accident and people told the individual how bad that was. “Poor thing,” they said. His response was: “maybe so.” Then, while in the hospital, he later learned that his house had fallen into the ocean. People told him how bad that was. He said: “maybe so.”

That’s when I honed in on the principle of “maybe so.” I had always had somewhat of a “maybe so” attitude, but I hadn’t thought about it deeply. I don’t think there’s an actual principle called that, but I’m sure the concept is an old one.

Are there worse alternatives than being in the hospital after an accident? Had the person not been in the accident and been home when his house slid into the ocean, could his fate had been worse? It’s quite possible.

In my situation, was it a bad thing to be laid off? Maybe so. It’s all a matter of perspective, with events only deriving the meaning and impact that we give them. Did I lose an opportunity to continue to work at that large corporation? Yes. Was that a bad thing? Not from my vantage point.

During my "break," I gained lots of free time which included my daily 10 a.m. workout at the gym or walk on Atlanta's Silver Comet Trail, staying up as late as I wanted to (as the night owl I truly was and am) and talking with new companies about all sorts of the possibilities.

I also read more books during that time than I had in several years combined. And because of other events in my life, that layoff could NOT have come at a better time. It was like kismet, with the universe knowing I needed a break, especially from work I never loved. The universe likely knew that a few short years later, my experience, skills, wisdom, sense of direction and even income would double, surpassing anything I had left behind.

In the years that followed, my affinity for “maybe so” grew. There are so many silver linings in most events, especially involving work, dreams and relationships, that I actually have difficulty finding the negative side. Sure, I don’t totally overlook the negative aspects, but the positive takes their place with lightning speed.

And when I can, I try to help others, especially those I coach, embrace the positive after they've had some time to sit with their feelings, good or bad.

So when the next event that appears less-than-positive to you occurs, I wish you, too, a big dose of maybe so.

“The Power of Maybe So” was originally published on Linkedin Pulse on October 13, 2015.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Operations (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 19:41
Had an interview yesterday with a second year MBA.

A few questions I remember off the top of my head:
1. Tell me about yourself
2. Why an MBA?
3. Why Kelley?
4. Area of concentration/areas of interest
5. Three words your friends would use to describe you.
6. A difficult situation you had to deal with and how you dealt with it.
7. A few questions regarding extracurricular/community service activities

Overall, I thought it went well. Have my fingers crossed.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.6
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 15:40
Had an in-person interview in Washington D.C. today. The ambience was more relaxed than I expected. I enjoyed the ~30 minutes spent with the interviewer, who's an adcom. Some questions I can remember are:
1. Why MBA? why now? why Kelley?
2. What do you hope to contribute to / learn from your classmates?
3. Career goals?
4. What motivates you?
5. Greatest achievement/ proudest moment?
6. Anything else you want Kelley to know about you?

I was given the opportunity to ask some questions, so I asked a couple.

Good luck to everyone.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 13:45
Are they still sending out invites(especially to Indian candidates)? Or should I expect the worst? :cry:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2015, 10:45
Hi,

I received a mail from Office of International Services. After logging into iStart I see the below:
We have received your application for Indiana University Bloomington. Please complete the forms to the right to finish your application. For a list of requirements please visit our website at ois.iu.edu.
The form onto the right is:
Financial Documentation: Graduate Applicant

Do we need to fill this for getting an interview/admit ?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2015, 21:00
NickHalden wrote:
Hi,

I received a mail from Office of International Services. After logging into iStart I see the below:
We have received your application for Indiana University Bloomington. Please complete the forms to the right to finish your application. For a list of requirements please visit our website at ois.iu.edu.
The form onto the right is:
Financial Documentation: Graduate Applicant

Do we need to fill this for getting an interview/admit ?

No, you can do this after you get an admit.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 01:11
Any re-applicant received an interview invite ?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 01:40
I believe this is the end of the road for applicants (which includes me as well) expecting interview calls. :(

Just wanted to know if the Adcom will reach out through mail even if we fail to make the cut for the interviews. Or will we be left pondering about our chances. How does it usually work?
Schools: Mendoza '18 (M$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
GRE 1: Q163 V162
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 19:08
I second sfarhan. It would be fair to assume that Kelley probably doesn't intend to interview folks who haven't heard from the University by now. (including me :( )
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.74
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 22:33
sfarhan wrote:
I believe this is the end of the road for applicants (which includes me as well) expecting interview calls. :(

Just wanted to know if the Adcom will reach out through mail even if we fail to make the cut for the interviews. Or will we be left pondering about our chances. How does it usually work?

I am guessing we will be kept hanging! At least that's what I've been told. Will only get to know once they roll out the final decision in December.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Mendoza '18 (M$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
GRE 1: Q163 V162
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 22:59
Well, not sure how true this is. But what my Admissions consultant told me was that the on-location interviews that Kelley conducts (e.g. in Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru etc.) are usually for the MBA in MIS concentration, as that's the sole concentration that gets a lot of applications from India. For others, usually an invite comes, but only for a Skype interview.
In addition, I guess a lot of you must have gotten that email from Kelley that said, "With respect to interviews, not all candidates will be invited to interview. For those who are invited, an invitation can come at any point in the review process up until shortly before decisions are released."
So let's keep hoping. :roll:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.74
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 23:07
abhinavgaur wrote:
Well, not sure how true this is. But what my Admissions consultant told me was that the on-location interviews that Kelley conducts (e.g. in Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru etc.) are usually for the MBA in MIS concentration, as that's the sole concentration that gets a lot of applications from India. For others, usually an invite comes, but only for a Skype interview.
In addition, I guess a lot of you must have gotten that email from Kelley that said, "With respect to interviews, not all candidates will be invited to interview. For those who are invited, an invitation can come at any point in the review process up until shortly before decisions are released."
So let's keep hoping. :roll:

I know someone, from last year, who got an interview invite days after everyone had been interviewed. And he was the one who got admitted, finally! Hope that is the case this time too.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2015, 12:17
Can any current or former student comment on Jump Start? What exactly is this program?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Kelley (Indiana) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2015, 12:17

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  23    Next  [ 451 posts ] 

Calling all Kelley (Indiana) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: abhimahna, Hatakekakashi