It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 19:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kelley (Indiana) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Making Leadership Personal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 06:01
FROM Kelley MBA Blog: Making Leadership Personal
“If you don’t prioritize your life, someone else will." —Greg McKeown

By Daniel Dillard, MBA’16

Daniel Dillard

The longer I’m a Kelley MBA student, the more I realize the power in asking questions. Questions of professors. Questions of prospective companies. Questions of classmates. Even learning how to ask questions about the questions others are asking me.

No questions, however, are more difficult than the ones I have been forced to ask myself.  Non-prescriptive questions like:

• How did I get here?
• What are my innate qualities and why do they matter so much to me?
• How do I transfer these qualities into being an engaged professional, husband and father, and an all-around purposeful human being?
• What do I have to consciously trade off in the process?
    As a member of the Kelley Full-Time MBA Leadership Academy, I have had the privilege of coaching first year students—individuals and teams—through the rigors of their first semester (which includes the Integrated Core, networking with companies, resume building and mock interviews). I also have opted into the responsibility of coaching myself through a multi-session series on personal visioning. More than anything, it has been a place where I have had permission to ask those difficult questions that I would have never otherwise asked. To that end, it has been both a safe haven and a danger zone.

No two personal visions are the same, but I’ll share a simple anecdote to more clearly illustrate the power in the process for me. Utilizing a tool from The Grove called “The Personal Compass,” a mid-point exercise calls on you to measure and plot out how you’re spending your time. The idea is to list off all of your weekly activities, estimating how much time you’re spending on each one. Then comes the hard part—reflecting on how satisfied you are with your time allocation, followed by a re-estimate of what an ideal state might look like.

To be frank, my current and ideal states were nowhere close to in line with each other on a number of fronts. For example, quality time spent with my wife was about a third of what I estimated it should be. Of course I hadn’t intentionally chosen to create that gap, but lesser priorities—those selected by me and those selected for me—had taken precedence.

Guess what my wife and I did the following Thursday night? We called a babysitter and went on a much-needed date. It happened again a week later. And the week after that. This may sound relatively benign, especially thinking about it within the larger context of establishing a personal vision. But that vision can only be achieved when one conceives of it and moves toward it with conviction—celebrating small but interdependent wins along the way. This is conscious living.  This is personal leadership.

Even though it is an intimately close encounter, I have not had to go at it alone. Leadership Academy directors Eric Johnson (Director of Graduate Career Services) and Ray Luther (Kelley MBA Executive Director) have facilitated the entire experience by sharing their own vision and the step-by-step approach of looking backwards and forwards in an attempt to actualize it.  They, like me, have previously fallen victim to unconscious living, which makes it all the more inspiring to see their resolve in reclaiming a personal vision.

While I’d love to say the last six weeks has provided a visionary blueprint to follow for the rest of my life, it’s not true. That vision will change over time—sometimes incrementally, sometimes fundamentally. What is true is that I’ve learned the power of creating the space necessary to pause and ask challenging questions of myself, then document, reflect on and pursue a vision with conviction. It’s a personal pit stop, if you will. This process will undoubtedly be among the most valuable tools I carry with me in the post-MBA journey ahead.
    ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
    Current Student
    Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
    Re: Calling all Kelley (Indiana) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 20:11
    Awfully quiet here. Any more invites this week, guys?
    Current Student
    Premium Member
    Re: Calling all Kelley (Indiana) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 21:16
    lav4 wrote:
    Awfully quiet here. Any more invites this week, guys?

I really hope so. The first week of November will be crucial after that things start to get tricky.
    Intern
    Intern
    Calling all Kelley (Indiana) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 15:07
    I am also a typical Indian male IT candidate with 4 years of experience with an international experience of 6 months (current role)
    My GMAT is 650 V34 Q47.

After the following the thread, I feel my GMAT is weak. Though my GMAT is somewhat relevant to average score of Kelley, I somehow feel my application may not be considered as most of the Indian IT candidates have a greater GMAT.

But I feel below are my positive aspects of my application.

I have been working as a free lance marketing analyst for 7 years and free lance aptitude trainer for 4 years
    Would be able to produce good recommendation from my international client
    I have received many professional awards in my organization and effectively participated in Learning and Development Events
    Good Extra Curricular activity
    I have held the positions such as Placement coordinator, Chairman of Energy Audit Club and Chairman of Departmental Technical Association in college.
    My Academics are good with 92% in both higher secondary and SSLC. I got 78.2% with First Class Distinction in B.E
    I am a Six Sigma Greenbelt and an ITIL Certified associate. I did a process improvement for one of my clients which resulted in a savings of 84000 Euros.
    I implemented a SMS based remote irrigation system in my village.
    I also developed a HTML based Online Test Tool to conduct pre placement test when I was placement coordinator in college

My Career goal is to start a Indian Retail Food Chain. I choose to do MBA in marketing.

Could anyone of you comment on my chances of getting admitted.
    Current Student
    Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
    GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
    GPA: 3.7
    WE: Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 10:56
    Just got done with my skype interview. The interviewer was a 2nd year student.
    The questions were the usual : Tell me about yourself, Why MBA, Why now, Why Kelley, Teamwork style, Conflict resolution approach. We had time for a few questions after that.

I guess it was pretty decent. Hoping for the best now! It's going to be a long wait till mid-December. Good luck to rest of you'll!
    Current Student
    Concentration: General Management, Strategy
    GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
    WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 14:13
    Just received invite
    still happening guys.. gud luck
    Intern
    Intern
    Concentration: Strategy, Operations
    GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
    GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
    GPA: 3.88
    WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
    Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 18:20
    Got and invite for the interview :) Would be helpful if anybody can share some tips or points to be kept in mind for the interview ?? Also does it matter whether I take the off campus interview in person or If I opt for Skype interview ?? My locality offers poor internet services, I am afraid of call drops in skype :(

Current Student
    Concentration: Technology, Finance
    GPA: 4
    WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
    Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 19:04
    Got an invite to interview as well. Anyone interviewing on the 15th of November in Mumbai?

"All knowledge that the world has ever received comes from the mind; the infinite library of the universe is in our own mind" - Swami Vivekananda

1 KUDOS received
    Current Student
    Status: Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.
    Concentration: Strategy, Technology
    GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
    GPA: 3.65
    WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 20:32
    This post received
    KUDOS
    natarajansrikrishnan wrote:
    Just got done with my skype interview. The interviewer was a 2nd year student.
    The questions were the usual : Tell me about yourself, Why MBA, Why now, Why Kelley, Teamwork style, Conflict resolution approach. We had time for a few questions after that.

I guess it was pretty decent. Hoping for the best now! It's going to be a long wait till mid-December. Good luck to rest of you'll!

Hope you make it bro!!!

Regards,
    J

--------------------------------------------------
    Consider Kudos if I helped in some way!!!

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.

1 KUDOS received
    Current Student
    Status: Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.
    Concentration: Strategy, Technology
    GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
    GPA: 3.65
    WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 20:34
    This post received
    KUDOS
    Anuj5589 wrote:
    Got and invite for the interview :) Would be helpful if anybody can share some tips or points to be kept in mind for the interview ?? Also does it matter whether I take the off campus interview in person or If I opt for Skype interview ?? My locality offers poor internet services, I am afraid of call drops in skype :(

Hi Anuj5589,

Me as well as few others have posted interview experiences in the thread, check them out. Feel free to reach out to people, we all need each other.

Regards,
    J

--------------------------------------------------
    Consider Kudos if I helped in some way!!!

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.

Current Student
    Concentration: Technology, General Management
    GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
    GPA: 3.84
    WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 22:13
    After jumping with joy for about 30 mins, I booked it for in person on 20th in Bangalore..Anyone got confirmation mail after replying to the email with the preference?
    Current Student
    Concentration: Technology, Finance
    GPA: 4
    Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 22:18
    Ralphcuisak wrote:
    After jumping with joy for about 30 mins, I booked it for in person on 20th in Bangalore..Anyone got confirmation mail after replying to the email with the preference?

The mail states that it might take several days to get a confirmation on the selected interview date. However, I guess we should follow up with the ad-com in a few days time in case we do not get a confirmation so that we might have other interviewing options available as well.

"All knowledge that the world has ever received comes from the mind; the infinite library of the universe is in our own mind" - Swami Vivekananda

Manager
    Manager
    GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
    GPA: 3
    Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 22:31
    SohamDutta wrote:
    Ralphcuisak wrote:

The mail states that it might take several days to get a confirmation on the selected interview date. However, I guess we should follow up with the ad-com in a few days time in case we do not get a confirmation so that we might have other interviewing options available as well.

received an invite at 3.27am!! feeling excited and nervous!!

Thanks for the insight soham!!
    Current Student
    GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 23:31
    NO Invite yet. Hope slipping away ....
    Current Student
    Concentration: Technology, General Management
    GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
    GPA: 3.84
    WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 23:41
    Too early to lose hope yet man..Hold tight.. I know some more people doing the same.. :)

Have faith.
    Current Student
    GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 00:18
    Ralphcuisak wrote:
    Too early to lose hope yet man..Hold tight.. I know some more people doing the same.. :)

Have faith.

Yeah. Dec 20 is still some time away. If nothing in the next 2-3 weeks then probably not happening.
    But its difficult to just sit tight :-D :-D
    Intern
    Intern

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 02:24
    Received an Interview invitation. :-D
    I have replied with a preference of off-campus interview in Bangalore.

Waiting for the confirmation. The final sprint!
    Intern
    Intern
    Concentration: Strategy, General Management
    GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
    Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 02:34
    SohamDutta wrote:
    Got an invite to interview as well. Anyone interviewing on the 15th of November in Mumbai?

Hey Soham, I got an email from Kelley as well. I am based out of Hyderabad, so would be coming to Mumbai on 15th. Let's catchup.
    All the best!
    Current Student
    Concentration: Strategy, Operations
    GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
    GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
    GPA: 3.8
    WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 03:39
    Hey guys,
    Has anyone from delhi received an interview invite??
    Manager
    Manager
    GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
    GPA: 3
    Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 09:30
    akshay4110 wrote:
    Hey guys,
    Has anyone from delhi received an interview invite??

hey akshay....I'm from delhi and i received an invite last night....
    Re: Calling all Kelley (Indiana) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2015, 09:30

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  23    Next  [ 451 posts ] 

Calling all Kelley (Indiana) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: abhimahna

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap