Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.52
WE:General Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.44
WE:Operations (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling all McDonough Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Received an invite a few weeks ago, interviewing next week.

Make sure to check all your email folders. My invite was hidden in the "Promotions" folder of gmail.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
People from R1 who interviewed in India, can you share your account of interview?

Who was it with(alum or adcom)? Was it blind? What questions?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Hi guys,
Had my iterview in Mumbai this weekend.
Apart from the regular ones, a question that stumped me a little was "Tell me about an article that you've recently read regarding the industry that you want to transition to post MBA."
Overall the tone was pretty conversational.
Good luck to the rest!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
ChilledBeer89 wrote:
Hi guys,
Apart from the regular ones, a question that stumped me a little was "Tell me about an article that you've recently read regarding the industry that you want to transition to post MBA."
Good luck to the rest!

Looks like its one of their favorite questions. I have seen it being mentioned at several places.

I need to ask you guys that, I am travelling halfway across the country to Delhi to be interviewed for McDonough. What are some of the mandatory documents that I should carry with me, apart from the resume? Passport? Copy of application?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
ThePot wrote:
ChilledBeer89 wrote:
Hi guys,
Good luck to the rest!

Looks like its one of their favorite questions. I have seen it being mentioned at several places.

I need to ask you guys that, I am travelling halfway across the country to Delhi to be interviewed for McDonough. What are some of the mandatory documents that I should carry with me, apart from the resume? Passport? Copy of application?

Just your resume and a photo id.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GPA: 3.75
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
ChilledBeer89 wrote:
Hi guys,
Good luck to the rest!

This question has shown up a lot on this thread, with only a few slight variations! How did you answer it?

Because I'd seen this question posted so many times, I read like a dozen industry articles leading up to my interview date. And I didn't get asked this one. All of my questions were pretty standard, actually. I think I would have preferred a few more outside-of-the-box questions. Everyone asks the "Why MBA" question, so in my interview it kind of felt like, oh gosh, here I go again with the same story, tailored for this school now. I was cool with that, but I had so many unique reasons for applying to the program, that I couldn't organically insert into the conversation of generic interview questions.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 670 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.31
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
ShoeBunny wrote:
ChilledBeer89 wrote:
Hi guys,
Good luck to the rest!

This question has shown up a lot on this thread, with only a few slight variations! How did you answer it?

Because I'd seen this question posted so many times, I read like a dozen industry articles leading up to my interview date. And I didn't get asked this one. All of my questions were pretty standard, actually. I think I would have preferred a few more outside-of-the-box questions. Everyone asks the "Why MBA" question, so in my interview it kind of felt like, oh gosh, here I go again with the same story, tailored for this school now. I was cool with that, but I had so many unique reasons for applying to the program, that I couldn't organically insert into the conversation of generic interview questions.

I had that question, but it didn't include the part about the industry I want to transition into. It was tough to answer because I totally blanked on the WSJ articles I had read specifically for the off chance that I got that question, so I ended up talking about an Op-Ed on the paid vacation/paid maternity leave proposed by the president. Not sure how it went, but it is a tough question to answer.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Pullo87 wrote:
ShoeBunny wrote:
ChilledBeer89 wrote:
Hi guys,
Good luck to the rest!

I had that question, but it didn't include the part about the industry I want to transition into. It was tough to answer because I totally blanked on the WSJ articles I had read specifically for the off chance that I got that question, so I ended up talking about an Op-Ed on the paid vacation/paid maternity leave proposed by the president. Not sure how it went, but it is a tough question to answer.

Did you interview with an adcom or a current student? I interviewed with a current student, which may be why the questions I was asked were the baseline questions? It was also a blind interview, which I thought was nice. His assessment will be completely independent of my application and therefore an entirely different viewpoint
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 670 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.31
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
ShoeBunny wrote:
Pullo87 wrote:
ShoeBunny wrote:

Did you interview with an adcom or a current student? I interviewed with a current student, which may be why the questions I was asked were the baseline questions? It was also a blind interview, which I thought was nice. His assessment will be completely independent of my application and therefore an entirely different viewpoint

Adcom, it was blind but she had my resume with her and she never asked me to 'walk' her through it, she just asked specific questions about the work and how my history progressed into the MBA.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Pullo87 wrote:
Adcom, it was blind but she had my resume with her and she never asked me to 'walk' her through it, she just asked specific questions about the work and how my history progressed into the MBA.

That sounds like a fun question! My student interviewer was going into an industry so completely different from mine (which I am guessing was the point), so when he asked me to walk him through my resume, I caught myself being extra jargonny, and not making much sense. I've got to work on telling a finance person what exactly an advertising executive does. I used to date an investment banker and even he thought all I did was make pretty commercials all day. :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
ShoeBunny wrote:
Pullo87 wrote:

That sounds like a fun question! My student interviewer was going into an industry so completely different from mine (which I am guessing was the point), so when he asked me to walk him through my resume, I caught myself being extra jargonny, and not making much sense. I've got to work on telling a finance person what exactly an advertising executive does. I used to date an investment banker and even he thought all I did was make pretty commercials all day. :-)

I also got interviewed by a second year. She asked the standard questions, nothing out of the ordinary except for a question on: Name an international incident that's relevant to your country.

Originally posted by ceekster on 10 Feb 2015, 19:07.
Last edited by ceekster on 10 Feb 2015, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ckchua wrote:
ShoeBunny wrote:
Pullo87 wrote:

I also got interviewed by a second year. She asked the standard questions, nothing out of the ordinary.

Was her industry different from your target industry? I found myself unable to really explain my resume to someone unfamiliar with my industry. Whenever I've been asked to walk someone through my resume, it's always been for job interviews. So chances are they have a fairly deep understanding of the things I discuss when I walk through it.

Also the student that interviewed me must be a master poker player. I have no clue how the interview went!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ShoeBunny wrote:
ckchua wrote:
ShoeBunny wrote:

I also got interviewed by a second year. She asked the standard questions, nothing out of the ordinary.

Was her industry different from your target industry? I found myself unable to really explain my resume to someone unfamiliar with my industry. Whenever I've been asked to walk someone through my resume, it's always been for job interviews. So chances are they have a fairly deep understanding of the things I discuss when I walk through it.

Also the student that interviewed me must be a master poker player. I have no clue how the interview went!

Yeah. I work in Investment Banking and she worked in Non-Profit. So worlds apart! I didn't have a hard time explaining what I do though.

She did ask a question along the lines of: Name an international incident that's relevant in your country right now. - That stumped me for a bit. Didn't expect it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Anyone know what the typical admit rate for people that are interviewed?

I read somewhere that McDonough typically interviews about 70% of applicants.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ckchua wrote:
Yeah. I work in Investment Banking and she worked in Non-Profit. So worlds apart! I didn't have a hard time explaining what I do though.

She did ask a question along the lines of: Name an international incident that's relevant in your country right now. - That stumped me for a bit. Didn't expect it.

That's a good one. If I had been asked this I'd probably go straight to something about ISIS as my answer. lol I bet most people answering this question did!

ckchua wrote:

I think admission rate is just shy of about 50%, so if 70% of applicants are interviewed, I guess the chances of admission after interview are over 70%? I do know that all the admitted students were interviewed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ShoeBunny wrote:
ckchua wrote:

That's a good one. If I had been asked this I'd probably go straight to something about ISIS as my answer. lol I bet most people answering this question did!

ckchua wrote:

I think admission rate is just shy of about 50%, so if 70% of applicants are interviewed, I guess the chances of admission after interview are over 70%? I do know that all the admitted students were interviewed.

My answer was recent incidents with China and Taiwan. I come from the Philippines and our relations lately have been shaky at best.

So they basically reject about 30% of the people they interview - Hoping I'm not part of that statistic!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  13   14   15   16   17   18   19  ...  37   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts