Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 178
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Calling OWEN-Vanderbilt Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink]
thisisatestonlyatest wrote:
AksConsult wrote:
Hi thisisatestonlyatest,

I'm looking for an MBA in Operations + Analytics dual focus - hopefully with a couple of pertinent courses from Strategy too. Got about 8 years work experience (M.E./SE Asia, in the Energy & Infrastructure Sector) in this broad area and don't want to 180 degrees-switch careers.
I planned to apply to Owen initially but backed out off the first round because my search led me to believe Operations, and especially Analytics, was not a strong area in Owen. Also the recruitment numbers didn't show detailed breakdown - i.e. analytical consulting, general strategy consulting, finance strategy, ops & SCM etc. As an insider, do you have some information on this? Thanks.

Ops is decently strong and we place a lot of people at amazon. I think they are our biggest recruiter. As far as analytical consulting that isn't one of our stronger post because most people are going to strategy which is really strong. BSG, Bain, Deloitte, North Highland, Cognizant, and a bunch of boutiques recruiter here. I am not sure what you mean by finance strategy.

Hi thisisatestonlyatest,

I am an Indian applicant and from a very competitive pool. I took my GMAT on 26th Feb -710(Q49 V38).GPA around 3.7ish(I know those two things are not enough to provide a judgement, but i thought i'll give you those details in any case)
Sent a mail to Owen Admissions around 4th Mar asking them if spots for Aid and admissions in general were open.They sounded very positive, which was great for me. But I dithered on it thinking Owen was more of a Finance focused school seeing the number of iBanks that recruit and speaking to some people not from Owen. But I came across your post yesterday, and I see that they recruit for Strat Consulting as well. That is my area of focus as I'm currently working in a renowned consulting firm, but doing more of Tech Consulting(IT),solutioning and delivery assignments, and I want to move to Strat. I was really happy to see the likes of BCG ,BAIN and Deloitte among recruiters. So, i'm thinking of applying now.Should be able to apply in about a week. Do you think its too late now.
I feel like kicking myself for delaying applying. :x
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
DebWenger wrote:
thisisatestonlyatest wrote:
AksConsult wrote:
Hi thisisatestonlyatest,

I'm looking for an MBA in Operations + Analytics dual focus - hopefully with a couple of pertinent courses from Strategy too. Got about 8 years work experience (M.E./SE Asia, in the Energy & Infrastructure Sector) in this broad area and don't want to 180 degrees-switch careers.
I planned to apply to Owen initially but backed out off the first round because my search led me to believe Operations, and especially Analytics, was not a strong area in Owen. Also the recruitment numbers didn't show detailed breakdown - i.e. analytical consulting, general strategy consulting, finance strategy, ops & SCM etc. As an insider, do you have some information on this? Thanks.

Ops is decently strong and we place a lot of people at amazon. I think they are our biggest recruiter. As far as analytical consulting that isn't one of our stronger post because most people are going to strategy which is really strong. BSG, Bain, Deloitte, North Highland, Cognizant, and a bunch of boutiques recruiter here. I am not sure what you mean by finance strategy.

Hi thisisatestonlyatest,

I am an Indian applicant and from a very competitive pool. I took my GMAT on 26th Feb -710(Q49 V38).GPA around 3.7ish(I know those two things are not enough to provide a judgement, but i thought i'll give you those details in any case)
Sent a mail to Owen Admissions around 4th Mar asking them if spots for Aid and admissions in general were open.They sounded very positive, which was great for me. But I dithered on it thinking Owen was more of a Finance focused school seeing the number of iBanks that recruit and speaking to some people not from Owen. But I came across your post yesterday, and I see that they recruit for Strat Consulting as well. That is my area of focus as I'm currently working in a renowned consulting firm, but doing more of Tech Consulting(IT),solutioning and delivery assignments, and I want to move to Strat. I was really happy to see the likes of BCG ,BAIN and Deloitte among recruiters. So, i'm thinking of applying now.Should be able to apply in about a week. Do you think its too late now.
I feel like kicking myself for delaying applying. :x

Definitely still have time and also there are scholarships dollars available to good candidates. Also your app fee will be waived because you have a 700+ gmat. So definitely go for it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Thanks a lot for your assurance. :-D :-D :-D
But again, i'm a bit worried that the school might not 'buy' my Consulting focus. Not sure though, you might be able to help me out here a bit.
And are you sure about the app fee waiver? I tried to find that in the website, but was unable to nail down the exact information.It says it will sort of calculate it. :?:

Thanks again for your informed judgement! Its really encouraging!!! :) :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
DebWenger wrote:
Thanks a lot for your assurance. :-D :-D :-D
But again, i'm a bit worried that the school might not 'buy' my Consulting focus. Not sure though, you might be able to help me out here a bit.
And are you sure about the app fee waiver? I tried to find that in the website, but was unable to nail down the exact information.It says it will sort of calculate it. :?:

Thanks again for your informed judgement! Its really encouraging!!! :) :)

The transition to strat from it consulting isn't a stretch. I actually think it is pretty standard. I am positive there is an app fee waiver. When you submit the app it will auto waive the fee.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
That's fantastic mate!!Appreciate your timely response! Owen, here I Apply!! :D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Anyone coming to welcome weekend?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 2.74
WE:Operations (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I'll be there. Flying in on Wednesday to do some house hunting. Looking forward to it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
corbettas wrote:
I'll be there. Flying in on Wednesday to do some house hunting. Looking forward to it.

Sweet. Let me know and I might be able to show you some places or grab some food. I don't have class Wednesday.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 2.74
WE:Operations (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
There was a great turnout at the welcome weekend this past weekend. It was a great time meeting current students and faculty as well getting to know our cohort. Nashville was great too and Owen being centrally located made it easy to get around after the days' formal events.

Owen is the place to be for next year and the post-MBA potential was so clear there.

Really looking forward to starting in the Fall!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GPA: 3.09
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
I haven't found much on Owen here on gmat club, but I was wondering if someone could tell me about their time at Owen? I am considering mostly 5-15 schools but Vanderbilt has always been a dream for me (was waitlisted as an undergrad and went to state school because of $$).

I don't know if I want to work in the South, which is why I am considering mostly east coast schools. The Vanderbilt name has always carried weight with me and if accepted, I think I would attend.

My final question: What kind of rotational programs recruit at Vanderbilt? I am looking for more of a general management role/consulting role post MBA.

Also, Corbettas, I was wondering if you could pm me or shed some light on the application process with a less than stellar GPA and being from the Defense industry?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Kudos
trustmeimanengineer wrote:
I was wondering if someone could tell me about their time at Owen?

My experience at Vanderbilt thus far has been awesome. Here is what I have most appreciated:

1. Career Center. Read McNamara and the CMC team here at Owen are outstanding. I found it *far* more impressive than the other schools I went to. As a career switcher with an unconventional background (video games), this was really important to me. Vandy has had excellent on-campus recruiting, it has had enormous success placing people in internships, and the job rate is among the highest in the country. Owen also does not mess with the job numbers like some other schools do. You can see the complete report/PDF for each of the last several years.
Employment report: https://www.owen.vanderbilt.edu/employer ... report.cfm
Poets and Quants article: https://poetsandquants.com/2014/11/05/op ... mba-stats/
Economist Ranking: https://www.economist.com/whichmba/mba-r ... er-service

2. Student body. Vanderbilt students are inclusive, helpful, and fun. That goes for both Owen and Vanderbilt University as a whole. My perception is that the Vandy student body has equal the amount of brains that the elite East Coast Schools have...but all of the kindness and down-to-earth-ness that the Midwest and South have to offer.

3. Speaking of elite schools, people worry that "Owen" just doesn't carry the weight that other top business schools have associated with their names. I wondered the same thing when I was applying last year. Newsflash folks, I am yet to meet an employer or recruiter who does not admire and value the **VANDERBILT UNIVERSITY** Owen GSM. Vandy is ranked #16 as a University in the country. That's higher than Cal Berkeley, Emory, Georgetown, UCLA, UVA, Carnegie Mellon, Michigan and UNC to name a few. So even though USNWR has Vandy at #27 for business schools, you don't need to worry for even a second that people will see you as having studied/graduated at anything but a top program/elite school.

4. The course options available here are outstanding. Even thought Owen's student body is a bit on the smaller side with about 350 students (full-time MBAs that is), it is still able to offer all of the concentrations/emphases/specializations one could possible want. That wasn't true of every school I visited (even T25 schools).
Here you can take a glance at what's available: https://www.owen.vanderbilt.edu/programs/mba/curriculum/

BTW - I am sooo sooo happy I am at a school on the quarter system as opposed to semesters. This enables people to fit in more of what they love and "get through" the stuff they aren't so hot on.

5. Nashville. I LOVE the Music City. Cost of living here is wayyyy lower than what people pay in NYC, Boston, LA, Philly, the people here are more pleasant, and there is a lot of fun stuff to do all the time. Many students come to Owen planning to head to the West Coast or back East post-MBA, and many of them find themselves falling in love with Nashville and choosing to stay.

I don't know if I want to work in the South, which is why I am considering mostly east coast schools.

My internship will be in the Bay Area. Vanderbilt places well nationally. You will not be forced into a job in the South. However, many New Yorkers (for example) who come to Vanderbilt thinking they'll return to the Empire State love Nashville so much they then choose to stay in TN or move to Atlanta when they graduate. So beware! :)

My final question: What kind of rotational programs recruit at Vanderbilt? I am looking for more of a general management role/consulting role post MBA.

This list is comprised of internships accepted by Owen students for this coming summer (May-August 2015). Mind you, this is what I know about from talking with my friends it is not at all a comprehensive list. I am surely leaving some of the biggest companies out. XSorryX

General Management:
AT&T – RLDP (General Management)
McKesson – RLDP (General Management)
DaVita – Redwoods (General Management)
Johnson & Johnson – HRLDP (HR)
Johnson & Johnson – PLDP (Operations)
Amazon – LDP (Pathways)
Eaton Corporation – GLDP (General Management)
Fedex – Marketing/Strategic Planning
GE Capital – HRLDP (HR)
Emerson – Strategy
Tesla – Strategic Business Planning
Cleveland Clinic – Strategic Planning
3M – Strategic Planning/Marketing
Last year a student went into Chevron's RLDP and they recruit at Owen every year
etc...

Consulting:
Bain
Deloitte - Owen is a core school for Deloitte's Atlanta office
PWC
North Highland
Midtown Consulting
ECG Management Consultants
Kurt Salmon
Kaiser Permanente
Sprint (Internal Consulting)
Nordic Consulting

FT offers for the class of 2015 at –
BCG
KPGM
Arryve
etc...
(Many consulting firms do not offer internships but recruit FT at Owen.)

I really recommend applicants visit if at all possible. I was headed elsewhere last year until I made my visit here. You really need to check it out for yourself.

Originally posted by teleste on 07 May 2015, 08:06.
Last edited by teleste on 07 May 2015, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.71
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
I really recommend applicants visit if at all possible. I was headed elsewhere last year until I made my visit here. You really need to check it out for yourself.

I agree with this! I decided on Owen over some higher ranked schools largely based on fit (and several people I met at the Welcome Weekend made similar decisions).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I haven't found much on Owen here on gmat club, but I was wondering if someone could tell me about their time at Owen? I am considering mostly 5-15 schools but Vanderbilt has always been a dream for me (was waitlisted as an undergrad and went to state school because of $$).

I don't know if I want to work in the South, which is why I am considering mostly east coast schools. The Vanderbilt name has always carried weight with me and if accepted, I think I would attend.

Also, Corbettas, I was wondering if you could pm me or shed some light on the application process with a less than stellar GPA and being from the Defense industry?

First off if you go through my post or Teleste's you are going to find a plethora of information. 2. Pretty much every consulting firm aside from McKinsey has some type of recruiting here, ranging from on campus core to resume drops. But, Bain and BCG have taken someone the last 2 years. We get about 7 interviews at each a year that translates to Harvard or Wharton getting about 42 interview spots and 7 hires a year.

As far as turning down higher ranked schools it happens all that time look at the schools people this year and in the past have turned down.

Are you coming from the military or do you work with the military?

Have you taken the gmat or practice test and what is your score? That will matter a lot with a low GPA (I know from experience)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am not military. I work as an Electrical Engineer on military aircraft as a contractor for a big 3 defense contractor (Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman).

I haven't taken the GMAT yet. I will be taking my diagnostic this weekend/next weekend and will take it in the summer, when I feel ready. I would assume a score 700+ because I have always been a great standardized test taker. I have also taken the GRE and did relatively well. I just need to review the quant and verbal GMAT specific idiosyncrasies.

I don't know why, but I think that I would get into Owen, with a 700+ GMAT. I intend to visit though!

Also, I am really interested in rotational programs for big companies. A few colleagues of mine have gone through them, on the engineering side, and I think this way of getting experience in multiple aspects of business would suit me, as I have only been in engineering roles with limited customer exposure. I am also interested in Deloitte because of their 2nd year tuition payment for signing post internship.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I am not military. I work as an Electrical Engineer on military aircraft as a contractor for a big 3 defense contractor (Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman).

I haven't taken the GMAT yet. I will be taking my diagnostic this weekend/next weekend and will take it in the summer, when I feel ready. I would assume a score 700+ because I have always been a great standardized test taker. I have also taken the GRE and did relatively well. I just need to review the quant and verbal GMAT specific idiosyncrasies.

I don't know why, but I think that I would get into Owen, with a 700+ GMAT. I intend to visit though!

Also, I am really interested in rotational programs for big companies. A few colleagues of mine have gone through them, on the engineering side, and I think this way of getting experience in multiple aspects of business would suit me, as I have only been in engineering roles with limited customer exposure. I am also interested in Deloitte because of their 2nd year tuition payment for signing post internship.

How much work experience do you have?
Where is you ug from.

All of these are important with a sub par GPA.

Military members get a little bit of a bump of the GPA and gmat side. 30-40 points is usually the difference in what they can make and what a civilian as they call us can make.

You GPA although not great is not terrible. It will come down to the gmat though. Its a different animal than other tests I have taken. If you went somewhere decent ug, yrs of we and score 710+ you should have a shot at 5-15 not great but a definite shot. Get in the 690-700 area and you have a shot at most schools 15-30. Go take the practice test then start to figure this out honestly right now without your gmat its a bit premature to target only 5-15. If you hit 700+ definitely give it a go. Good Luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Age - 25/26 at matriculation
Planning to apply for Fall 2016/2017

Undergrad - State School in Midwest, BS Industrial Engineering, GPA 3.09 (extenuating circumstances and can be explained in optional essay) *State school like Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri
Grad- Same State School in Midwest, MS Industrial and Systems Engineering, GPA 4.0

Work Experience : 3/4 years at matriculation
Working full-time during MS degree (50 hours/week), Currently writing a thesis (graduating May 2016)
EC: Sports, Volunteering at local Food Shelter, Programs on campus (lots in leadership)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Age - 25/26 at matriculation
Planning to apply for Fall 2016/2017

Undergrad - State School in Midwest, BS Industrial Engineering, GPA 3.09 (extenuating circumstances and can be explained in optional essay) *State school like Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri
Grad- Same State School in Midwest, MS Industrial and Systems Engineering, GPA 4.0

Work Experience : 3/4 years at matriculation
Working full-time during MS degree (50 hours/week), Currently writing a thesis (graduating May 2016)
EC: Sports, Volunteering at local Food Shelter, Programs on campus (lots in leadership)

You have a decent total package. Go crush the gmat and you should be able to go to a good school. I think the 4.0 in grad school will help.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts