Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Every member of a certain club volunteers to contribute equa

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Every member of a certain club volunteers to contribute equa [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 03:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (01:58) correct 27% (01:15) wrong based on 228 sessions
Every member of a certain club volunteers to contribute equally to the purchase of a $60 gift certificate. How many members does the club have?

(1) Each member's contribution is to be $4.
(2) If 5 club members fail to contribute, the share of each contributing member will increase by $2.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3418

Kudos [?]: 25042 [2] , given: 2702

Re: Every member of a certain club volunteers to contribute equa [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 03:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Every member of a certain club volunteers to contribute equally to the purchase of a $60 gift certificate. How many members does the club have?

Let the # of members be n.

(1) Each member's contribution is to be $4 --> n=\frac{60}{4}=15. Sufficient.

(2) If 5 club members fail to contribute, the share of each contributing member will increase by $2 --> share of each contributing member is \frac{60}{n}, if 5 club members fail to contribute, the share of each contributing member will be \frac{60}{n-5} and we are told that this values is $2 more than the previous one --> \frac{60}{n}=\frac{60}{n-5}-2 --> n=15. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1082

Kudos [?]: 4870 [2] , given: 163

Re: Every member of a certain club volunteers to contribute equa [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 20:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
thangvietnam wrote:
how can you get the n=15.

you have to solve the equation.

and this is time consuming?

Equations such as these: \frac{60}{n}=\frac{60}{n-5}-2
are solved using hit and trial.

Try to look for values of n which give us simple numbers i.e. try to plug in values which are factors of the numerator.
Say, if n = 10, you get 60/10 = 60/5 - 2 which is not true.\frac{60}{n}and \frac{60}{n-5} need to be much closer to each other so that the difference between them is 2.
Next put n = 15. It satisfies.
Notice that this equation gives us a quadratic so be careful while working on DS questions. A little manipulation shows us that the product of the roots of this quadratic will be -ve. So one root is positive i.e. 15, hence the other must be -ve and we can ignore it.

Notice that when you see such an equation in PS questions, the options can give you ideas on values on n.
Here, you anyway got that n = 15 from the first statement so you know which value you must try.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Every member of a certain club volunteers to contribute equa [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 06:57

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 3

Re: Every member of a certain club volunteers to contribute equa [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 13:53
Hi thangvietnam,

(1) Each member's contribution is to be $4.
(2) If 5 club members fail to contribute, the share of each contributing member will increase by $2.

The problem states that each member contributes equally to the gift certificate. Let the number of people be n and the amount contributed by each member be x. Now, from the question we know that total amount contributed=$60.

Hence, n*x=60

1) This statement tells us that contribution of each member=$4. i.e x=4
Hence, n=60/4=15
SUFFICIENT

2) This tells us that if 5 members fail to contribute every person's contribution share increases by $2.
We know n=60/x
old n=n
new n=n-5
Old contribution=60/n
new contribution=60/(n-5)

Now, new contribution=old contribution+2
i.e 60/(n-5)=2+ (60/n)

60/(n-5)=(2n+60)/n

Cross multiplying
60n=(2n+60)(n-5)
60n = 2n^2+60n-10n-300

Bolded terms get cancelled

What remains is 2n^2-10n-300.
Take out 2
n^2-5n-150=0

Factorize 150, you get 5*3*2*5
15-10=5
Hence, n^2-15n+10n-150=0
Take out common factors
n(n-15)+10(n-15)=0
n=-15 or 10. Since, the number of people cannot be negative it has to be 15.

SUFFICIENT
Let me know if I can clarify something else.

thangvietnam wrote:

Thanks
Kris
Instructor at Aspire4GMAT

Visit us at http://www.aspire4gmat.com

Post your queries
Join our free GMAT course

New blog: How to get that 700+
New blog: Data Sufficiency Tricks

Press Kudos if this helps!

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Engineering (Other)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: Every member of a certain club volunteers to contribute equa [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 08:59
I took the quadradic path as i usually do, but dint solve the equation to see if stmt 2 was sufficient, here's how
Given : nx=60 (n: number of ppl, x: contribution of each)
Stmt 1 : gives x, can solve for n : sufficient
Stmt 2 : (n-5)(x+2)=60
=>(n-5)(60/n+2)=60
Simple rearrangement
=>2n^2-10n-300=0
I stopped here knowing this equation will have one positive and one negative root (or solution)
here's how : ax^2+bx+c=0
b=sum of roots (or solutions) (or -600
c=product of roots
=> 2n^2-10n-300=0 will have roots that add to -10 and have roots that multiply to -300 or (-600 to be specific) The second statement that -300 (or -600) will be the product of two roots of the equation implies, one is +ve and other is
-ve. and n cant take -ve values, therefore only one solution. Stmt 2 is sufficient.

Could someone cpls verify if this method has any flaw?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1082

Kudos [?]: 4870 [0], given: 163

Re: Every member of a certain club volunteers to contribute equa [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 19:24
Expert's post
nanz236 wrote:
I took the quadradic path as i usually do, but dint solve the equation to see if stmt 2 was sufficient, here's how
=>(n-5)(60/n+2)=60
Simple rearrangement
=>2n^2-10n-300=0
I stopped here knowing this equation will have one positive and one negative root (or solution)
c=product of roots
=> 2n^2-10n-300=0 will have roots that add to -10 and have roots that multiply to -300 or (-600 to be specific) The second statement that -300 (or -600) will be the product of two roots of the equation implies, one is +ve and other is
-ve. and n cant take -ve values, therefore only one solution. Stmt 2 is sufficient.

It's fine. Since the product is -ve, one root will be positive and one will be negative.
Check out this post which discusses this concept: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/01 ... equations/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Engineering (Other)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: Every member of a certain club volunteers to contribute equa [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 20:42
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
nanz236 wrote:
=>(n-5)(60/n+2)=60
Simple rearrangement
=>2n^2-10n-300=0
c=product of roots

It's fine. Since the product is -ve, one root will be positive and one will be negative.
Check out this post which discusses this concept: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/01 ... equations/

Thanks Karishma. I chanced upon that article and then got deep into the pool of other articles you've published. Really good, would have been great if i wasnt 1 month away from my gmat...better late than after GMAT :D
SVP
SVP
Followers: 185

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Every member of a certain club volunteers to contribute equa [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 14:17
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Every member of a certain club volunteers to contribute equa   [#permalink] 06 Jul 2014, 14:17