Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [8]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6296 [1]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 138
GMAT 1: 520 Q39 V23
GMAT 2: 600 Q42 V30
Send PM
Re: In the xy plane, a circle is drawn with the center at (3, -2). The cir [#permalink]
nick1816 wrote:
Attachment:
Untitled.png

AO = √14 -3
OB = √14 +3

Suppose CD = 2y

CO = y-2
OD = y+2

\((y-2)(y+2) = [√14 -3 ]* [√14 +3 ]\)

\(y^2-4 = 5\)

y=3

2y =6

how did you get ao and ob
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [0]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: In the xy plane, a circle is drawn with the center at (3, -2). The cir [#permalink]
Bunuel IanStewart even i am confused regarding the question, can you explain this with a better POE.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6296 [2]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
summerbummer
Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 8.86 KiB | Viewed 4164 times ]

Perpendicular from the center to the chord bisects the chord.

Hence, AX = XB = √14

OX = (3-0) = 3

AO = AX - OX = √14 - 3

OB = XB + OX = √14 + 3

If you still have any doubt, you can ask.
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
In the xy-plane, a circle is drawn with the center at (3, -2). The circle intersects the x-axis at two points that are 2√14 apart. What is the distance between the points of intersection of the circle and the y-axis?

A) 4
B) 5
C) 6
D) 7
E) 8

Is there anyone to share easiest way, please? I really appreciate your help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Send PM
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
In the xy-plane, a circle is drawn with the center at (3, -2). The circle intersects the x-axis at two points that are 2√14 apart. What is the distance between the points of intersection of the circle and the y-axis?

A) 4
B) 5
C) 6
D) 7
E) 8

Hi,

I got the correct answer by using some logic of my own. I'd like to share the same.

The question says distance between the "Points" of intersection and Y Axis.

Please use the image shared by nick1816 as a reference towards my explanation.

The center has to be (3,-2) so imagine a center at (3,-2).
Now try to draw a circle from that point. Remember the circle intersects at 2 points on the X Axis which are 2√14 apart. But that can be anywhere. So assume any radius for this circle.

For example 6 units.
So go 6 units right from 3 on the X Axis. [3 is the original center so imagine using a geometry compass from (3,-2) and take 6 units and draw a circle. You'll intersect X Axis at 9]

This is one point of intersection.

Now go the same 6 units left from 3 on the X axis. You'll get -3 on the negative side of X Axis.

This is second point of intersection.

Now the distance between these two and the Y Axis.

Distance from 9 (Positive X Axis) to Y Axis = 9
Distance from Y Axis to -3 (Negative X Axis) = -3

9 + (-3) = 6

Take any number as radius and do the above calculation, you'll always get 6 as the answer.

This is purely based on my logic. I might be wrong.

My heart says this is correct but my brain says something is wrong or missing. :lol:

Therefore, I humbly request Bunuel, chetan2u, nick1816, yashikaaggarwal to check my explanation and let me know how close am I to the correct logic.

It will be great if any of you or any of your expert friends gave us some insights.

DON'T RELY ON THIS UNLESS ANY ONE OF THE EXPERTS CONFIRM IT.

Please don't mind the shape of my circle in the picture that I've attached.

Lastly, I'm sorry if my logic has hurt any math enthusiast or math lover due to its potential loopholes.

Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device
Attachments

20200805_190011.jpg
20200805_190011.jpg [ 2.67 MiB | Viewed 3744 times ]

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
In the xy plane, a circle is drawn with the center at (3, -2). The cir [#permalink]
As IanStewart thankfully pointed out, the question is asking for the distance between the Y-Intercepts (at least that is what the credited response of 6 gives us).

Because a circle is a collection of equidistant points from the center, the circle will come up and intersect one point on the X Axis (point A) and come around counterclockwise and intersect another point on the X Axis (point B) —— such that every point on the circumference is equidistant from the center.

Thus, Point A and Point B will each be a distance of R = radius from the center of the Circle, point O at (3 , -2)

Rather than use the circle, we can use the Rules and Symmetry of an Isosceles triangle when an altitude is dropped from the apex vertex.

Connect 2 radii from the Center O to points A and B.

The distance between the two X intercepts is 2 * sqrt(14) and this will be the Base of the triangle = Side AB

OA = OB = radius = R ———> are the other 2 equal sides of the Isosceles Triangle

Rule: the height originating from the apex vertex O at (3 , -2) and drawn perpendicular to base side AB, as a line of symmetry, will also be the Median of the isosceles triangle and Bisect Side AB.

Call the point at which this height bisects side AB —- point D

Since the distance between the 2 X intercepts (points A and B) is given as 2 * sqrt(14)

AD = sqrt(14) = DB

The length from center (3 , -2) to point D on the X Axis is given by the vertical distance from the line Y = 0 to the line Y = -2 ————> 2 units

We can then use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the radius of the circle (which is the two equal sides, OA and OB, of the Isosceles triangle)

(AD)^2 + (2)^2 = (R)^2

(Sqrt(14))^2 + (2)^2 = (R)^2

18 = (R)^2

Lastly, we can set up the equation for a Circle and find the two Y intercepts.

The equation of this circle, with center at point O (3 , -2), is given by:

(x - 3)^2 + (y + 2)^2 = 18

The Y intercepts will occur at the point where the X coordinate is 0:

(0 - 3)^2 + (y + 2)^2 = 18

9 + (y)^2 + 4y + 4 = 18

(y)^2 + 4y - 5 = 0

(y + 5) (y - 1) = 0

The Y intercepts - the points at which the circle will intersect the Y Axis - will occur at:

(0 , -5)

And

(0 , +1)

This is a vertical distance of 6 units

Answer: 6

yashikaaggarwal wrote:
Bunuel IanStewart even i am confused regarding the question, can you explain this with a better POE.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92945 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts