Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 06:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought, [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 11:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

46% (01:38) correct 53% (00:45) wrong based on 211 sessions
People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought, disquieting, sometimes gruesome works of art, but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.

(A) but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
(B) but none can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
(C) but not a one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
(D) but no person can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
(E) but none can dispute to their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 11:17
I would have gone with A, but sorry it is just from intuition. I dont know the logical difference between the usage of none and no one.

What is the OA?
Director
Director
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 11:29
neeshpal wrote:
People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought, disquieting, sometimes gruesome works of art, but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.

A. but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
B. but none can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
C. but not a one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
D. but no person can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
E. but none can dispute to their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.

cant be D also

is it B due to ||-ism?(people and None)
confused

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

SVP
SVP
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 11:30
neeshpal wrote:

A. but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
B. but none can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
C. but not a one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
D. but no person can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
E. but none can dispute to their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.

clearly between A and B.

both gramatically sounds perfect.. B is concise.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 134 [4] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 11:37
This post received
KUDOS
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 189 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 11:46
This post received
KUDOS
x2suresh wrote:
neeshpal wrote:

clearly between A and B.

It is not a Q of brevity here.

no one clearly refers to person

none can refer to any thing. none of them would be a different way of using none to refer to people

no person is not needed because we dont need to prove that no one refers to a person

Hence A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 13:18
x2suresh wrote:
neeshpal wrote:

clearly between A and B.

OA is B

can you explain why B is considered concise.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 13:23
nitya34 wrote:
neeshpal wrote:

cant be D also

is it B due to ||-ism?(people and None)
confused

are you saying its || because "people" is an uncountable noun. (or is it countable....I dont know)
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2009, 04:05
I dont think this can come anywhere close to real GMAT question, but never mind.
1."none" is preferred to "no one" here. Why?
2. Because "people" and the subject of the "but" clause is supposed to be the opposite of each other.The opposite of "no one" is "anyone" or "everyone" and definitely not "people".
neeshpal wrote:

VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2009, 06:31
In that case, the opposite of people is not "none" either? then y is it chosen over no one?
botirvoy wrote:
I dont think this can come anywhere close to real GMAT question, but never mind.
1."none" is preferred to "no one" here. Why?
2. Because "people" and the subject of the "but" clause is supposed to be the opposite of each other.The opposite of "no one" is "anyone" or "everyone" and definitely not "people".
neeshpal wrote:

VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2009, 06:34
i think the link provided by Nitya can be useful here. it is written there that "'none' is usually treated as a plural noun, while 'no one' is always a singular noun".
Hence people being plural must be followed by none (plural)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 32

Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 08:51
The answer is B. "None" is used in a plural sense. "One" is singular and needs to be followed by a prepositional phase beginning with "of" to put emphasis on "one".

In addition, the sentence refers to people not an individual--a give away for agreement.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 10:04
B;
plural usage for none with respect to people.
although must say combination of no one and dispute stretches the conventional wisdom... which GMAT doesnt give a dime...!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 00:14
i've read that "no one" is written as "no-one" with "-" in the middle, "English grammar in use" by Murphy. Just wonder if it is the cause? But most probably both of them are ok, i'm not native speaker though...
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT LGO (Admitted), Harvard (Admitted))
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 00:08
Tough choice between A and B. If it says many can debate...... A is better. But it started with people so B is better None (of the people)

Dream the impossible and do the incredible.

Live. Love. Laugh.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 09:05
isn't none is short of no one( as it was written somewhere on net).

But even if we go by dictionary it says

no one - no person; not anyone; nobody
none - adj. not any
adv. not at all or in no way

I have confronted this question none vs no one & everywhere I saw that there's no difference. So, I think its actually a debatable question I find no difference between a & b
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 05:54
Really, I cant decide between A and B. If it comes down to choosing I would probably just flip a coin .
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 18

Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 06:24
I will go for A because "none" is quite strange.

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 6

Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 06:43
I chose A
but B is correct as well... looking at nitya's link it seems better now.
However does GMAT care about this difference .. not so sure..
so will let it pass ...not worry too much about this question (though good to know :) )
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 06:47
The distinction b/w (i) A vs (ii) B and D is singular vs plural

None can be plural or singular, depending on context.
No one/ no person - always singular.

... but none can dispute THEIR creators' mastery blah blah..... in b ---> "their" can relate back to "none" meaning the creators of the relevant persons had mastery over the paintbrush ---> yeah people's creators like certain Gods' mastery, those who created these works of art... religious much?

"None" can be ambiguous in b ---> is it the "works" or "none"? I think none can seem plural in this context

The only argument I can see for using "none" here is to make it parallel to "people" ---> both are plural. But why do it at the risk of having that ambiguous "their" in the sentence? I am a lawyer by profession and I would never write a sentence in a contract this way.

In A and D --- use of "their" bears no risk of relating back to "no one" or "no person" --- as these expressions are singular.

b/w A and D --- I'd just pick A though I can't say why "no person" is wrong. But of course the whole question is based on the premise that one needs to line up the "people" with "none."
Re: sc - No one - None   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2011, 06:47