Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1210 [38]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 429 [14]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Last June, Endsville installed highway traffic cameras, in the hope [#permalink]
Bookmarks
My answers D As cameras can exactly pinpoint what is the speed & isssue tickets. Couple that with reduced speed limit more people will get caught as many as two times as they are used to normal speed limit.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: Last June, Endsville installed highway traffic cameras, in the hope [#permalink]
the answer has to be A : Police, throughout the year, have been increasingly less likely to pull over speeding motorists, since each month more highways in Endsville are equipped with traffic cameras.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [3]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
aditya8062 wrote:
the answer has to be A : Police, throughout the year, have been increasingly less likely to pull over speeding motorists, since each month more highways in Endsville are equipped with traffic cameras.

Whats the point of such a post??
Please do explain the logic behind your reasoning

I think its E coz in June 2000 the cameras were hidden
In June 2001 the cameras are still hidden..

So whats so special about June- 2001..Nothing..So it does not help to explain the contradiction..

A in fact stregthens in the second part of the statement- since each month more highways in Endsville are equipped with traffic cameras..

E it is
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1210 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
LighthousePrep wrote:
joshnsit wrote:
Last June, Endsville installed highway traffic cameras, in the hope that drivers along the highways would reduce their speeds. This June, the number of motorists caught speeding by the traffic cameras is nearly twice that caught last June.

All of the following, if true, can help account for the increase in motorists caught speeding by traffic cameras EXCEPT?
A) Police, throughout the year, have been increasingly less likely to pull over speeding motorists, since each month more highways in Endsville are equipped with traffic cameras.
B) This June, compared to the last, saw more than a twofold increase in the number of traffic cameras installed along the highways of Endsville.
C) In the last year, there has been an influx of residents to Endsville and thus there are more vehicles on the road at any one time.
D) Along many of the highways installed with traffic cameras, the speed limit has been reduced, sometimes by as much as 10 miles per hour.
E) Since the cameras are virtually hidden, many motorists remain oblivious to the fact that the city has installed traffic cameras.

Please come with explanations. OA to arrive soon after bit of clarity over options.

I believe the correct answer is C. Here is why:

A) Police are not pulling over motorists, and letting cameras do their work for them. This statement draws the fine distinction between police catching someone speeding vs. the cameras catching someone. Also, this could work because police pulling over motorists could be acting as a deterrent. By police no longer doing this, people continue to speed and then later get a ticket, without it being visible to passing by motorists who would have otherwise slowed down.
B) More cameras on roads means more opportunities to catch speeding violations.
C) If there are twice as many cars on the road, I imagine that they would be slowed down.
D) If you lower the speed limit, it takes time for people to learn about it so they might temporarily violate the rule until they become accustomed to the new limit.
E) Hidden cameras mean no deterrence.
C couldn't be the answer as number of violators are bound to increase with increase in number of vehicles. In fact, same is the logic/assumption for choice A, B which assumes that speeding offense rate per capita or person will remain constant. For eg. if 2 out of 10 people commit speeding offense on average and if this rate is sustained owing to unchanged behavior, then more cameras(as in A and B) or more cars(or people in those cars) will mean increase in speeding offenses.

Originally posted by joshnsit on 24 Jul 2014, 20:11.
Last edited by joshnsit on 24 Jul 2014, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
joshnsit wrote:
LighthousePrep wrote:
joshnsit wrote:
Last June, Endsville installed highway traffic cameras, in the hope that drivers along the highways would reduce their speeds. This June, the number of motorists caught speeding by the traffic cameras is nearly twice that caught last June.

All of the following, if true, can help account for the increase in motorists caught speeding by traffic cameras EXCEPT?
A) Police, throughout the year, have been increasingly less likely to pull over speeding motorists, since each month more highways in Endsville are equipped with traffic cameras.
B) This June, compared to the last, saw more than a twofold increase in the number of traffic cameras installed along the highways of Endsville.
C) In the last year, there has been an influx of residents to Endsville and thus there are more vehicles on the road at any one time.
D) Along many of the highways installed with traffic cameras, the speed limit has been reduced, sometimes by as much as 10 miles per hour.
E) Since the cameras are virtually hidden, many motorists remain oblivious to the fact that the city has installed traffic cameras.

Please come with explanations. OA to arrive soon after bit of clarity over options.

I believe the correct answer is C. Here is why:

A) Police are not pulling over motorists, and letting cameras do their work for them. This statement draws the fine distinction between police catching someone speeding vs. the cameras catching someone. Also, this could work because police pulling over motorists could be acting as a deterrent. By police no longer doing this, people continue to speed and then later get a ticket, without it being visible to passing by motorists who would have otherwise slowed down.
B) More cameras on roads means more opportunities to catch speeding violations.
C) If there are twice as many cars on the road, I imagine that they would be slowed down.
D) If you lower the speed limit, it takes time for people to learn about it so they might temporarily violate the rule until they become accustomed to the new limit.
E) Hidden cameras mean no deterrence.
C couldn't be the answer as number of violators are bound to increase with increase in number of vehicles. In fact, same is the logic/assumption for choice A, B which assumes that speeding offense rate per capita or person will remain constant. For eg. if 2 out of 10 people commit speeding offense on average and if this rate is sustained owing to unchanged behavior, then more cameras(as in A and B) or more cars(or people in those cars) will mean increase in speeding offenses.

I see where you're coming from. I think my flaw in selecting that answer choice was that I didn't see a direct correlation between population and speeding. Where I live, people tend to drive slower when there are more cars on the road because of traffic jams. So I viewed population to be inversely proportional to number of opportunities to speed. And if there are less opportunities to speed, then there would be less speeding tickets. Also, knowing that I shouldn't bring in outside knowledge, nothing in the passage, question or answer choices indicated that there was a correlation between population and speeding.

Still I understand that the "cameras were always hidden" choice is the "best" answer. Live and learn. :)

Thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [2]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos