Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [30]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.37
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [13]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [3]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Other, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
If m, n, and p are three-digit integers and m + n = p [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Abib wrote:
Mike, thanks for your explanations, but I didn't get it yet.

About the first statement, I toke the same way you did but I believe that if K > B + E, (C + F) can be less than or equal to 10.
If (C+F) < 10, we have a "Yes" answer and if (C+F)=10, we have a "No" answer becasuse the question is "Is (C+F) >= B+E+2?"

Could you please help me to understand why (C+F) cannot be 10?

Thanks!

Abib, both \(K\) and \((B + E)\) are integers and according to the question, \(K\) can take a maximum value of \(9\) as \(K\) is just a single digit.

So, the maximum value of \((B + E)\) will be \(8\).

Also, if \(C + F < 10\), then only \(B + E \ge K\) will be true. But we already know that \(B + E < K\).

So, \(C + F \ge 10\).

Since, \(B + E \le 8\) and \(C + F \ge 10\),

\(C+F \ge B+E+2\) will always be true.

Hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: If m, n, and p are three-digit integers and m + n = p [#permalink]
Thanks, eshan429.

It helped me to figure out my mistake.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 399 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '17
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
If m, n, and p are three-digit integers and m + n = p [#permalink]
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:
MonSama wrote:
If m, n, and p are three-digit integers and m + n = p, is the sum of the units digits of m and n at least 2 more than the sum of the tens digits of m and n?

(1) The tens digit of p is greater than the sum of the tens digits of m and n.

(2) The tens and units digits of p are equal.

Dear MonSama,
I'm happy to respond. :-) As always, an excellent question from MGMAT.

For discussion purposes, let's say that
m = ABC
n = DEF
p = JKL
where the capital letters represents digits (C is the one's digit of m, B is the ten's digit of m, etc.)

Statement #1: K > B + E
Well, this statement tells us a few things. First of all, it tells us that the sum of the one's digits, (C + F) > 10. We know this because the only way K would be more than the sum of (B + E) is that if something "carries" from the addition in the one's column. The sum of the one's digits is greater than 10, so a 1 "carries" into the ten's column, making K bigger. We also know that K is a single digit, K < 10. Well, if (B + E) is less than K, it must also be less than ten. Combining all the inequalities here, we get
(B + E) < K < 10 < (C + F)
This definitively answer the prompt question, so this statement, alone and by itself, is sufficient.

Statement #2: K = L
Well, let's think about this ---
111 + 222 = 333 ---- here, (B + E) = (C + F)
217 + 138 = 355 ---- here, (B + E) < (C + F)
272 + 183 = 455 ---- here, (B + E) > (C + F)
With this constraint, we can make the two sums equal, or we can make either greater than the other. This constraint does not allow us to determine a clear unambiguous answer to the prompt question. This statement, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

First statement sufficient, second, insufficient. Answer = (A)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Hi Mike,

I have one doubt in your explanation. The question asks whether the sum of the units digits of m and n at least 2 more than the sum of the tens digits of m and n.Letter K doesn't represent sum of B and E. Let us take 137 and 129 as two numbers. sum of 137 and 129 is 266, which satisfies both the conditions.
sum of units digits=7+9=16 doesn't mean units digit of 266 i.e. 6
sum of tens digits=3+2=5 doesn't mean tens digit of 266 i.e. 6

we are asked about sum of the digits and can't place condition on tens or units digit of p.
Can you please help me understand your solution.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3132 [1]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Kudos
Took almost 6 minutes to arrive at A
I solved it exactly the way you showed in your solution but i could not solve it under 5 minutes leave alone 3 minutes.
I took examples rather then making the inequality.
Statement 2 is a bit easier.
How should i approach these kinda questions ?

This has to be a 780 level question.
Your thoughts?
mikemcgarry
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3132 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
hi mikemcgarry
I solved it exactly the way you showed in your solution but i could not solve it under 5 minutes leave alone 3 minutes.

Your thoughts?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
stonecold wrote:
hi mikemcgarry

Your thoughts?

Dear stonecold,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, this is a hard question, a really brilliantly designed question. Of course, there is no "trick" for solving hard questions, in part because each hard question is hard in its own way. You have to have excellent number sense, which involves investigating and playing with all kinds of patterns of numbers on your own. You will find a link to an fun app on that number sense blog. I also will suggest this blog article:
How to do GMAT Math Faster
One way to build intuition for problem solving is to pursue a ton of difficult practice questions. For that, I would recommend:
Nova’s GMAT Math Prep Course Book

Finally, while I agree that this is a challenging question, I am extremely skeptical about the process of assigning numerical score-values to individual questions. See:
Is this a 700+ level GMAT question?

I hope all this helps.
Mike :-)
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I'll try to outline my thought process on this one when I just tried it for the first time. The solution above is great, so I won't rewrite it - but here are the actual steps I took in order to get this one in 2 minutes.

1. Thought: this is asking whether the sum of the units digits is at least two more than the sum of the tens digits. That means that a case like 129 + 348 would give us a 'yes', since 9+8 is much larger than 2+4. A case like '111+111' would give us a 'no', since 1+1 and 1+1 are the same.

2. Go to statement 1. If the tens digit of P is greater than the sum of the tens digits of M and N, that means that something must have been 'carried over' from the units place when we did the addition. If nothing was carried over, that'd mean the tens digit of P would be equal to the sum of the tens digits of M and N.

3. What does it tell us, if something was carried over? That just means that the sum of the units digits was 10 or higher.

4. Okay, it seems pretty simple to find a case where the sum of the units digits is much higher than the sum of the tens digits, then. We'll just make the units digits as large as possible, and the tens digits as small as possible. A case like that would give us a 'yes', so now we need a 'no'. The trick is going to be finding a case where the sum of the units digits isn't at least two higher than the sum of the tens digits.

5. Can we come up with a case where the sum of the units digits is just one higher than the sum of the tens digits? That would give us a 'no'. Suppose that the sum of the units digits is 10, and the sum of the tens digits is 9. In that case, we'd carry over a 1, add it to 9, and end up with P having a tens digit of... 0. Uh-oh. It's no longer greater than the sum of M and N's tens digits, so we just disobeyed the statement. That's an invalid case.

What if the sum of the units digits is 17, and the sum of the tens digits is 16? Wait, that wouldn't work either. If the sum of the tens digits is that large, then the actual tens digit of P wouldn't be greater than the sum of the tens digits of M and N. For instance, if the sum of the tens digits of M and N was 16, like in this case, the tens digit of P would be 6 or 7, which is much smaller than 16. Okay, so the case where the sums are 9 and 10 didn't work, and the case where the sums are bigger than that doesn't work either. There's no good case at all, so this statement seems sufficient.

At this point, I wrote 'AD/BCE' on my paper and crossed off B, C, and E.

6. On to statement 2. This looks simpler, so I'm going to try cases. It seems like what we really care about is whether the sum of the units digits is greater than 10 - that affects whether a 1 gets 'carried over'. So, I'll try a really simple case first: 111 + 111 = 222. That case gives us an answer of 'no'.

Note: At this point, I could actually stop. That's because the statements, in a real GMAT problem, will never directly contradict each other. It's actually impossible to have one sufficient statement that gives you a 'yes', and another sufficient statement that gives you a 'no'. So, the second statement must be insufficient! But, I'm going to keep going just to illustrate the rest of the problem.

7. Now, I want a case where the sum of the units digits is big, and the sum of the tens digits is small. Suppose the units digits sum to 16, like 8+8. Then the units digit of P would be 6. Can we make the tens digit of P equal to 6, also, to fulfill the statement? Yeah, by making the tens digits of M and N equal to 3 and 2, so that adding the 1 that gets carried over gives us 6.

At this point, I jotted this down on my paper, to double check:

_ 3 8
_ 2 8
_ 6 6

8+8 is at least two greater than 3+2, so we have our 'yes' case, and the statement is insufficient. Cross off D and pick A!
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31966 [2]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Kudos