Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2294

Kudos [?]: 9038 [0], given: 3677

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2010, 13:43
Expert's post
rockrock wrote:
For someone shooting for scholarships - is it worth a retake after the Application deadline to try to get my score up? My current score is 660. I would love to get a 690 or above to make me more competitive for scholarships. Specifically, at Columbia where the deadline is Jan 5th for merit fellowships. I cannot retake until Jan 19th. Any suggestions?

I think it is definitely worth a shot once the stress of the deadlines and essays is gone but if you have taken the gmat a few months ago, chances are you don't remember much. Other challenge is that many schools announce scholarship decisions in conjunction with admit, or the period of time between admit and scholarship announcement is very short.

I think it is worth a shot but I am not sure how much you can do change at this point esp in your Columbia situation...

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2010, 16:42
--

Last edited by rockrock on 22 Jan 2011, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 11:29
thanks a lot!!! important information!!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 01:17
Hi Bunnell,I took GMAT last week and scored 540 with Q 40 ,V 24 and AWA 5.
I spent almost a month to improve my verbal score but in vain.Kindly let me know what should I do to improve my OA.I am aiming 650+.
Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 31

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 11:38
Thanks so much! This is very helpful!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS, Michigan

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 07:33
This post received
KUDOS
today I took the GMAT for 2nd time. Here is a summary of the story so I hope it may help you

In my first try I got 650 (june 2010) . I ran out of time in both Q and V so I had to guess the last 4 or 5 questions. Very disappointing and frustrating since I studied for more than 6 months.
In spite my score I got interview invite from Ross and LBS so it is true that the GMAT is not THAT important....but, I also got a ding from a couple of other universities .... so I decided not to run any risk and retake the test with the hope to send an update before the final decisions were taken.

I started studying 1 month ago. I did 11 of the gmat club's tests and also completed the 6 MGMAT tests. I bought Word Translations and Number Properties books as suggested in many posts in the forum, which reminds me to mention that I read the forum constantly ... it kept my morale high and also helped me to discover the "take one step back in order to advance two" strategy. The main lesson I learned was how to time my answers. Today I had more than 2 mins left in both Q and V parts which is not quite good because it's a sign I didn't use the time efficiently. In the breaks of the exam I took one GU energy gel ( the gels you use in marathons) which kept me awake during the exam.

My score was:
Q 48/82
V 39/87
T 710/92

I want to thank the members of this forum since it proved to be very helpful . I also wish the very best to those who haven't taken the test yet ...and remember to have a few beers or vodkas the night before :) ...it helps to relax and don't take all this too seriously. cheers mates
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 15:08
Great thread! I'm checking with my grad school to see if they will accept my score. Otherwise I will have to take it again.
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 15:14
Going to study my a$$ off for the retake. Studying for 2 days doesn't cut it.
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS, Michigan

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 20:00
just got the call from Ross... I'm in ...and yes, it's an incredible sensation awesome! ...specially if you left everything on the field ! thanks again to everybody in this forum! I forgot to mention one thing about the GMAT... I'm not English native speaker, in fact...English is my 3rd language so I am far from being good at it. However, I always try to read books in English, I think this helps to maintain a decent vocabulary. In the months before the GMAT I read two books , " Born to run" and " Going Long" , and I guess this helped to improve my score in the verbal part...so, for you guys who are not native English speakers, I would recommend you to pick a topic you really like...and read a book in English about it ( in my case, I am close to run my first marathon , so running as a topic is quite motivating)...I think this will help you to handle easily the RC questions... again...thank you, and do not surrender ! cheers mates
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 18

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 01:57
I had 740 on the GMAT PREP yesterday, and I will sit on GMAT in 3 days. So if I get below 700, it is advised that I retake the GMAT?
(because you said that we should retake it if the difference between real GMAT and GMAT Prep is 50 or bigger, I have plenty of time and shoot for a scholarship too)

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 8

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 10:15
Thanks BB Nice Thread
Current Student
Affiliations: Net Impact
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 19:57
I am planning to retake GMAT. Scored 710 ( 48Q 39V ) on my first attempts studying only from OG, however i couldn't make it to any of the schools on my list. Hope to make a new start with MGMAT books. Any suggestions for prep???
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 22:09
Expert's post
This my suggestion - hopefully it works, though 710 is a pretty good score already... you are at or above average for pretty much all schools of your choice.

gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?highlight=ml301

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Current Student
Affiliations: Net Impact
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 22:57
bb wrote:
This my suggestion - hopefully it works, though 710 is a pretty good score already... you are at or above average for pretty much all schools of your choice.

gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?highlight=ml301

Yes, 710 is a good score, but i belong to the ubiquitous Indian IT Male category, GMAT is the only differentiator.
I see no other reason for being wait listed - my essays were good and so were my interview.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 22:19
Expert's post
Sorry to hear about the waitlist.... yes, tough category...

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2011, 08:21
thanks for this post! I fit into about 3 or 4 into these reasons to retake
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2011, 13:56
Expert's post
Good Luck! do let us know how it goes!

Founder of GMAT Club

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 09:04
I fall into the " retake disaster category". haha. I think i'm done with the gmat. Time to move on
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2011, 02:39
This book is useful - 'The Official Guide for GMAT Review'

You can buy it on Amazon
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2011, 10:17
Let me give a background to my question here - I took GMAT in Jan 2011 and got a 710 - Q48, V40...I was reasonably happy with my score..although I knew I had underscored in Quant and could have got a 730. Though, I did not want to give another attempt for merely 20 points...I am reconsidering it when I heard the story of a friend of my mine in office.

My colleague got a 680 (3rd attempt) on GMAT..His background - Completed his electronics engineering, Indian...but changed fields upon graduation...and is and has been in the Consulting space for close to 5 years..so I believe ( and this what I need to confirm ) that he has shed the "Indian IT male tag" by not continuing in IT...the guy has excellent credentials with lots of social work and extra-curricular activities to form a formidable resume.

He applied to ISB and got dinged..the feedback said that since he had completed his engineering ISB considered him as an "Indian IT male"...and tht a score of 730 was a minimum that they expected.

This situation has led me to think that my score is low (as I hail from a similar background)..and I should probably give it another go since I am also an ISB aspirant!!

My background -
Graduation - Computer engineering
Work - ex - 1) Investment banking 2) Consulting - Total work-ex=1.5 years (although I am going to apply after another 2 years only with a total work-ex of 4 years)

Would welcome some help here guys.

Best,
R J
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2011, 10:17