Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 21:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last year the worldwide paper industry used over twice as

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 865
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Last year the worldwide paper industry used over twice as [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2005, 13:28
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

63% (02:23) correct 38% (01:44) wrong based on 16 sessions
Last year the worldwide paper industry used over
twice as much fresh pulp (pulp made directly from
raw plant fibers) as recycled pulp (pulp made from
wastepaper). A paper-industry analyst has projected
that by 2010 the industry will use at least as much
recycled pulp annually as it does fresh pulp, while
using a greater quantity of fresh pulp than it did last
year.
If the information above is correct and the analyst’s
projections prove to be accurate, which of the
following projections must also be accurate?
(A) In 2010 the paper industry will use at least twice
as much recycled pulp as it did last year.
(B) In 2010 the paper industry will use at least twice
as much total pulp as it did last year.
(C) In 2010 the paper industry will produce more
paper from a given amount of pulp than it did last
year.
(D) As compared with last year, in 2010 the paper
industry will make more paper that contains only
recycled pulp.
(E) As compared with last year, in 2010 the paper
industry will make less paper that contains only
fresh pulp.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2004
Posts: 565
Location: SF Bay Area, USA
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2005, 14:28
Here is my explanation:

Last Year's Fresh Pulp > 2Last Year's Recycled Pulp

Therefore at maximum recyled pulp use,
Last Year's Recycled Pulp = Last Year's Fresh Pulp/2 - (1)

2010 Fresh pulp <= 2010 Recyled pulp -(2)
2010 Fresh pulp >= Last Year's Fresh pulp - (3)

(1) and (2) and (3) confirm answer A
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 865
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 04:55
OA is (A)
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 870
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 07:11
qhoc, can you post the explanation for this one
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 865
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2005, 09:27
There is no OE, but nocilis's is good.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Posts: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: CR - paper industry [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 06:19
Shouldn't D be correct by the same logic by which A is correct.
How do you chose A and not D.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2011
Posts: 135
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: CR - paper industry [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 03:45
suyash wrote:
Shouldn't D be correct by the same logic by which A is correct.
How do you chose A and not D.


D speaks about proportion.
However, A assumes that even in 2010, the amount of paper produced from fresh pulp will be the same as the previous year.

A is a bit better...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2011
Posts: 60
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Last year the worldwide paper industry used over twice as [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 15:09
I got D,A is the correct answer.Pretty subtle difference I must say.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 138
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 247

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Last year the worldwide paper industry used over twice as [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2014, 05:23
qhoc0010 wrote:
Last year the worldwide paper industry used over
twice as much fresh pulp (pulp made directly from
raw plant fibers) as recycled pulp (pulp made from
wastepaper). A paper-industry analyst has projected
that by 2010 the industry will use at least as much
recycled pulp annually as it does fresh pulp, while
using a greater quantity of fresh pulp than it did last
year.
If the information above is correct and the analyst’s
projections prove to be accurate, which of the
following projections must also be accurate?
(A) In 2010 the paper industry will use at least twice
as much recycled pulp as it did last year.
(B) In 2010 the paper industry will use at least twice
as much total pulp as it did last year.
(C) In 2010 the paper industry will produce more
paper from a given amount of pulp than it did last
year.
(D) As compared with last year, in 2010 the paper
industry will make more paper that contains only
recycled pulp.
(E) As compared with last year, in 2010 the paper
industry will make less paper that contains only
fresh pulp.

down to A and D. Couldn't eliminate either.. can someone explain why D is incorrect?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2014
Posts: 49
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Last year the worldwide paper industry used over twice as [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2014, 06:52
I think 'D' would not be right because, even though the quantity of recycled pulp used doubles, we cannot assume that papers are made exclusively out of the recycled pulp. Nowhere does it say that papers are made exclusively out one or the other pulp.Only overall quantity used by the industry is mentioned. Its very likely that the pulps are mixed(not necessarily, but we cannot assume one way or the other, i.e D is not perfectly true).
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 30
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

Re: Last year the worldwide paper industry used over twice as [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 07:23
Choices C, D, and E talk about the production of paper, whereas the argument only talks about how paper was made.
We either quickly eliminate those choices, or take a closer look at them later since Choices A and B talk of the premises, directly.

I think with these types of Inference Qs, creating quick variables can be helpful.
I'll tack onto what Nocilis did back in ancient times:

Last Year: FP > 2x RP > x
2010: RP is > or = FP, FP >2x ----------> RP > 2x

2010 RP is at least 2 times greater than Last Year's RP.

Hence, Choice A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2014
Posts: 290
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Last year the worldwide paper industry used over twice as [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 20:32
sshrivats wrote:
I think 'D' would not be right because, even though the quantity of recycled pulp used doubles, we cannot assume that papers are made exclusively out of the recycled pulp. Nowhere does it say that papers are made exclusively out one or the other pulp.Only overall quantity used by the industry is mentioned. Its very likely that the pulps are mixed(not necessarily, but we cannot assume one way or the other, i.e D is not perfectly true).


The only sound reason by which I think D is not correct , is , if D is correct then E also has to be correct and GMAT question can't have two answers.
Re: Last year the worldwide paper industry used over twice as   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2014, 20:32
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic Last year the worldwide paper industry used over twice as jgomey 16 22 Jan 2013, 17:16
Over the last century, paleontologists have used small joemama142000 4 04 Dec 2005, 20:09
Over the last century, paleontologists have used small sushom101 12 20 Oct 2005, 13:15
Over the last century, paleontologists have used small Janice 2 29 Nov 2004, 12:59
Over the last century, Paleontologists have used small kok72 2 13 Oct 2004, 06:41
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Last year the worldwide paper industry used over twice as

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.