Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [86]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [31]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 407 [3]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Re: Last year the worldwide paper industry used over twice as much fresh [#permalink]
OA is A

This is such a good example of a CR question that requires a little bit of Math.

I thought about this question in terms of proportions:

Current proportion- PULP:RECYCLE = 2:1

Future Proportion- PULP:RECYCLE = 1:1

One additional caveat-the amount of pulp used in the future is more than the current amount used. In summary, The PULP/RECYCLE proportion will be different in the future, and the ACTUAL amount of pulp will increase too.

So the argument presents 3 conditions that need to be satisfied.

1. The current proportion is 2:1
2. The future proportion will be 1:1
3. The future amount of Pulp will be greater than the Current amount of Pulp.

Next I plugged in numbers

Condition 1

PULP=100
RECYCLE=50

100/50= 2/1

Condition 2 and 3

Future

101/101= 1/1

101>100

This satisfies all the conditions presented in the argument.

Clearly Answer Choice A is the Answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [2]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Last year the worldwide paper industry used over twice as much fresh [#permalink]
Kudos
[quote="jgomey"]Last year the worldwide paper industry used over twice as much fresh pulp (pulp made directly from raw plant fibers) as recycled pulp (pulp made from wastepaper). A paper industry analyst has projected that by 2010 the industry will use at least as much recycled pulp annually as it does fresh pulp, while using a greater quantity of fresh pulp than it did last year.

If the information above is correct and the analyst's projections prove to be accurate, which of the following projections must also be accurate.

A. In 2010 the paper industry will use at least twice as much recycled pulp as it did last year

B. In 2010 the paper industry will use at least twice as much total pulp as it did last year.

C. In 2010 the paper industry will produce more paper from a given amount of pulp than it did last year. OFS

D. As compared with last year, in 2010 the paper industry will make more paper that contains only recycled pulp.
. OFS. Strong word "only"
E. As compared with last year, in 2010 the paper industry will make less paper that contains only fresh pulp.

OFS. Strong word "only".

TO choose between A & B. i assume no.'s as mentioned in above post and got A as IMO
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [4]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
mahendru1992 wrote:
I got A too, but seriously can't understand the difference between A and D? Both seem to be correct

Hi mahendru

You can eliminate D and E quite quickly because they're out of scope.

D. As compared with last year, in 2010 the paper industry will make more paper that contains only recycled pulp.
E. As compared with last year, in 2010 the paper industry will make less paper that contains only fresh pulp.

The argument only talks about how much fresh pulp and recycled pulp are used to produce paper in general. The argument does not say anything about types of paper such as 100% fresh pulp paper or 50-50 fresh-recycled paper, etc.

Thus, D and E are out.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [2]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Kudos
Choices C, D, and E talk about the production of paper, whereas the argument only talks about how paper was made.
We either quickly eliminate those choices, or take a closer look at them later since Choices A and B talk of the premises, directly.

I think with these types of Inference Qs, creating quick variables can be helpful.
I'll tack onto what Nocilis did back in ancient times:

Last Year: FP > 2x RP > x
2010: RP is > or = FP, FP >2x ----------> RP > 2x

2010 RP is at least 2 times greater than Last Year's RP.

Hence, Choice A.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [2]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
easy one, Should be a DS problem :D

Last year: fresh - 100kg, recycle - 50; Total = 150

2010: fresh(101) = recycle, fresh > fresh of last year; total = 202

If the information above is correct and the analyst's projections prove to be accurate, which of the following projections must also be accurate.

A. In 2010 the paper industry will use at least twice as much recycled pulp as it did last year --- this is 50 vs 101 recycled. correct.

B. In 2010 the paper industry will use at least twice as much total pulp as it did last year.--- 150 vs 202 ; wrong

C. In 2010 the paper industry will produce more paper from a given amount of pulp than it did last year. --- i think these two should be equal unless some technological development.

D. As compared with last year, in 2010 the paper industry will make more paper that contains only recycled pulp. --- both will be equal.

E. As compared with last year, in 2010 the paper industry will make less paper that contains only fresh pulp. --- wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [3]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Last year the worldwide paper industry used over twice as much fresh [#permalink]
Kudos
The problem says "they will use at least as much recycled pulp annually as it does fresh pulp"
Assuming, recycled pulp = 100 units, fresh pulp = 200 units.
If the same amount of pulp is required to produce paper.
Recycled pulp = 150 units, fresh pulp = 150 units.
So in this case A is not right.
We are assuming either of the two things
1. The quantity of fresh pulp used doesn't reduce as the quantity of recycled pump increases.
2. The quantity of total pulp required increases over the years.
Is it right to do so ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Schools: IMD '21
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
jgomey wrote:
Last year the worldwide paper industry used over twice as much fresh pulp (pulp made directly from raw plant fibers) as recycled pulp (pulp made from wastepaper). A paper industry analyst has projected that by 2010 the industry will use at least as much recycled pulp annually as it does fresh pulp, while using a greater quantity of fresh pulp than it did last year.

A. In 2010 the paper industry will use at least twice as much recycled pulp as it did last year

B. In 2010 the paper industry will use at least twice as much total pulp as it did last year.

C. In 2010 the paper industry will produce more paper from a given amount of pulp than it did last year.

I am not sure if the observation is correct or not, but how can we assume the current year as 2010?? Can anybody please explain this fact?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Given Kudos: 687
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.6
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Last year the worldwide paper industry used over twice as much fresh pulp (pulp made directly from raw plant fibers) as recycled pulp (pulp made from wastepaper). A paper industry analyst has projected that by 2010 the industry will use at least as much recycled pulp annually as it does fresh pulp, while using a greater quantity of fresh pulp than it did last year.

C. In 2010 the paper industry will produce more paper from a given amount of pulp than it did last year. OFS

. OFS. Strong word "only"

OFS. Strong word "only".

TO choose between A & B. i assume no.'s as mentioned in above post and got A as IMO
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Currently R= x & FP=2x
In 2010 RP=FP=y
Given FP will not decrease as y(FP in 2010)>=2x (FP now)

Therefore, y (RP in 2010)>= 2x(Twice RP in current yr)

Hence A
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
The problem with D and E is that we can't deduce how much pulp actually goes into making the paper. We just know that more pulp is used.

MartyTargetTestPrep
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [3]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos