Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.18
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Darden-UVA Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]
SilverBull wrote:
SilverBull wrote:
Anyone in for the Jefferson Fellowship? No firm date on the release of the invitees but they did say by late October.

Really, no one else on here doing that Jefferson Fellowship thingamajigger? Guess I'm the default winner and champeen of the world.

I did. And they said late October. Well I am just hoping for a free trip to Charlottesville. although I am out of vacation days and will have to take unpaid leave lol

Any idea how many Jefferson Fellows are selected each year for Darden?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
stevkang8 wrote:
SilverBull wrote:
SilverBull wrote:
Anyone in for the Jefferson Fellowship? No firm date on the release of the invitees but they did say by late October.

Really, no one else on here doing that Jefferson Fellowship thingamajigger? Guess I'm the default winner and champeen of the world.

I did. And they said late October. Well I am just hoping for a free trip to Charlottesville. although I am out of vacation days and will have to take unpaid leave lol

Any idea how many Jefferson Fellows are selected each year for Darden?

No idea. Maybe some other chap on here can shed light on this darkest of mysteries.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 183
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Quote:
No idea. Maybe some other chap on here can shed light on this darkest of mysteries.

I think I should be the chap to shed light on this.

As far as what I've read, there are only 2 Jefferson Fellows per class at Darden. So I'm guessing that not more than 8-10 invites (for the Jefferson Fellowship) will go out.

If you want to know more or contact past Jefferson Fellows go here : https://www.jeffersonscholars.org/darden
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Posting this late but here is summary of the Darden adcom chat happened on GMAT Club on Sept 29. Those who want to view full chat transcript can download it from this post. Next chat session with Darden admission team is on November 5. Good luck!

I was wondering if you could give me some information on the ‘Media, Entertainment and Sports’ industry specialization that Darden offers? What kind of exposure (in terms of treks, projects internships) to sports franchises and organisations in particular can a student expect if he is admitted into the programme and chooses this specialization?

Darden_Kristen: I would encourage you to reach out to one of the current student leaders from our Media, Entertainment & Sports club: https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/acad ... nt-sports/ . This is not an academic specialization, but a great career related club where students are able to connect with industry representatives.
The National Basketball Association (NBA) was just recruiting here at Darden yesterday. There is also an elective during the second year focused in Media, Entertainment and Sports Management. And one of our professors leads a class to the Cannes Festival each year.

Hi Kristen. For domestic applicants, is there a quant sub score that is typically seen as insufficient or concerning, even if the overall score is competitive?

Darden_Kristen: Our admissions process is holistic and the GMAT is one component of our review process. In addition to your GMAT score we will review your academic history and professional experience for additional insight into your quantitative proficiency.
We have many students who come to Darden from non traditional backgrounds. We provide additional quantitative support before students step into their first class through our "Darden Before Darden" program, which allows students to get some additional support before launching into our case method environment.

If someone has earned a Masters degree in a quant field with a high GPA, would that help to mitigate an undergraduate GPA which is lower than your mid-80% range (assuming a good GMAT as well of course)?

Darden_Kristen: As we mentioned earlier, the admissions process is holistic. We know that you cannot change your GPA and academic performance as that is in the past. We take it into consideration though your current work performance and GMAT score help us get a fuller picture of your ability to be successful in our classroom environment as well.

How would you describe Darden student as person?

Darden_Kristen: Darden students are motivated, ready to make an impact in their communities, ready to get involved here and ready to share their perspective in the classroom. We have a very responsive global almuni network who I encourage everyone to connect with to better understand your opportunities as a Darden student and alum

Will there be an advantage of getting a scholarship or a fellowship If a student applies in round1 rather than round 2 for international students

Darden_Kristen: Yes all scholarships are available during Round 1, but Round 2 also tends to be our largest application round when we still award many scholarships

I have done degree from India which grade its score out of 10. Can you please tell me about that did I need to convert into the scale of 4 as well as college transcript need to be sent through college or student can send it them-self?

Darden_Kristen: We receive applications from all over the world and are familiar with different grading scales. You do not need to convert your GPA on a 4.0 scale. You can submit a scanned copy of your transcript to complete your application, but we will need official transcripts from the institution upon admission and your decision to enroll.

Can you provide us some tips for essays and what does Darden in specific look for in our essays?

Darden_Kristen: On tips for essays - answer the question provided, be sure that you are telling us something more about YOU, proofread and consider having friends or family review your response to make sure it is authentic and genuine to who you are and answers the question. We want you to use all of the space provided in the application to tell us more about you. Be sure to use all the space provided to your advantage.

How does the admission committee view our inability to get our current manager as a recommender?

Darden_Kristen: We prefer to see a current manager or supervisor. If you are unable to get your current manager/supervisor please use the additional comments space to let us know why - perhaps you just started working with them or you have not disclosed that you are pursuing an MBA at this time. Be sure to choose someone who can speak to your professional contributions and accomplishments - a senior team leader or former supervisor may be a good option too

What advice do you have for re-applicants?

Darden_Kristen: We encourage re-applicants to take advantage of the feedback call that we offer over the summer. We expect to see additional examples of career and personal growth in addition to any specific feedback we may have provided during the call.

Considering that Darden is a bit of a hike from some business centers such as NYC, does the school still have some visits or some type of way of immersion for a day or two for students in their desired field? (i.e. someone in the investment banking track being exposed to that field directly for a day or something)

Darden_Kristen: Yes more than 100 companies come to Darden each year to meet with our students. We also help organize industry related job treks such as Week on Wall Street where our students spend substantial time with financial institutions. We hold these treks all over the world and in a myriad of industries.
Our Career Development Center also hosts Career Discovery Forums at the start of the year to hear from industry representatives and some of our alumni in various fields to learn more. Check out all of our career support here: https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/care ... reer-prep/

Chat Transcript
Attachment:
UVA Darden Admissions Chat 29th Sept 15.pdf [636.72 KiB]
Downloaded 63 times
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
SilverBull wrote:
SilverBull wrote:

I am up for this as well. I'm incredibly excited. I've visited UVA and met a bunch of students and love the community there. It'd be a great place to spend 2 years imo.
VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Dual Degree Options at Darden
In the latest installment of Admissions Dean Sara Neher’s video blog, learn more about about the dual degree options available at Darden and get helpful tips about the application process.

For additional information on dual degrees, please visit our website.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
In for R1.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nitishgera wrote:
Quote:

As far as what I've read, there are only 2 Jefferson Fellows per class at Darden. So I'm guessing that not more than 8-10 invites (for the Jefferson Fellowship) will go out.

If you want to know more or contact past Jefferson Fellows go here : https://www.jeffersonscholars.org/darden

Two per class?! Where did you see this info? I hope not as the competition then must be killer. Might as well write it off already. Harder than getting into HBS haha.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nitishgera wrote:
Quote:

Omg, you're right, I'm out!

https://news.virginia.edu/content/jeffe ... -fellows-0
Attachments

03810e479a772978618661b1b58ec50e.420x294x1[1].png
03810e479a772978618661b1b58ec50e.420x294x1[1].png [ 69.27 KiB | Viewed 5044 times ]

VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Latin American Perspectives on the Darden MBA
Monday, 19 October 2015

1:30 – 2:15 pm EST

Register here

If you are interested in pursuing your MBA in the United States and want to learn more about the experience from current students, please join us for a chat with members of the Latin American Student Association (LASA). Most of this webinar will be Q&A, so come prepared with any questions you may have about Darden. We hope you’ll take advantage of this opportunity to hear directly from current Darden students.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
With other schools' discussions going nuts, Darden thread is very quiet in comparison. Any idea when Darden will send out inty invites?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Looking at the last year's thread, interview invites were rolled out in the first week of November.. The deadline was Oct 10th
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Oh I guess I submitted early LOL
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I meant last year's deadline :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
hey guys... can't believe it's been a year since I was in your shoes. Time flies by here.
if anyone wants to talk or has any concern about the application process I am happy to help.
just shoot me an e-mail at fernandesdesat17@darden.virginia.edu
good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.97
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
I hope everyone's patiently (or nervously) waiting to hear about interviews or making progress on their R2/R3 applications.

I wanted to see if anyone had input into my questions relating to employment for spouses here: job-for-partner-in-charlottesville-207319.html

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Just curious, anyone knows who teaches the marketing class for Year 1. I was in the campus visit and was very impressed by the marketing class.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  29   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts