It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 11:07

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Job for partner in Charlottesville

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Concentration: General Management, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.97
WE: Other (Other)
Job for partner in Charlottesville [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 18:50
I am in the process of applying to Darden for R2. While there are many things that attract me to Darden, UVA, and Charlottesville, I am concerned about job placement for my wife.

She currently does communications consulting. I know there are few consulting or marketing/communication jobs in Charlottesville. What have others done that are faced with a similar issue for their respective industry? Are there companies that let someone work 100% remotely? How effective is the Darden Partners Association?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Re: Job for partner in Charlottesville [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 14:25
I was hoping more would contribute to this! I'm in the same boat. I know the partner club is really helpful; a lot of partners work at the university. My fiancé might go that route, but he is also considering a commute to D.C. or Richmond if I go to Darden.

Current Student

Concentration: General Management, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.97
WE: Other (Other)

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2015, 05:34
Thanks, npash15. I reached out to the Darden Partners Association late last week but I haven't heard anything back.

I've thought about it, but I don't know if we could make the commuting option work. Charlottesville is 2 hours (no traffic) to the western suburbs of DC (Dulles, Centerville), and even longer to downtown. There are also few "in between" options to live between DC and Charlottesville, so it would be hard to cut that time down.

Richmond is only a bit over an hour away and it's an all-interstate drive, but the jobs are quite limited there, especially anything with sciences or professional services. My wife went to college there and many of her classmates that stayed in the area have had tough times finding employment.

There are some interesting jobs for her at the university that would be related to her current field. I'm just worried about the salary regression she'd have to take. I feel like there is a lot I can ask for her, but a 30%+ pay cut is a lot.

The only thing I can think of is finding a company where she can work remotely 80%+. However, I've been having trouble finding these positions.

Current Student

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2015, 09:09
blueapple makes sense. I definitely agree that commuting/living at least two hours away from each other is far less than ideal. Brainstorming ---> A remote gig would be perfect. Maybe you already saw this, but I came across this remote jobs resource list from skillcrush. Alternatively, it would be awesome if she could supplement working at the school by consulting independently with the small businesses and restaurants (or maybe even do that full-time). Maybe there are recent grads or second-years with start-ups that can hire. I've also heard of partners starting attending bschool the year after.

Like I said, my fiancé and I are just trying to go into this with a positive attitude. We'll definitely need to get creative. Our plan is to find an opportunity that helps alleviate the amount of loans we'd need to take out and aligns with his career interests as well as his desire to attend business school. I hope you hear from the Darden Partners Association soon. I just applied. If I get the opportunity of admission, I'll definitely let you know about the resources we start getting.

Re: Job for partner in Charlottesville   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2015, 09:09

Job for partner in Charlottesville

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: rohan2345

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap