GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 18:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Darden-UVA Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Calling all Darden-UVA Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 08:10
For the benefit of international applicants, following is the insight provided by adcom member on gmatclub chat today:

"Invitations began to go out earlier this week. Another batch will go out early next week. However, please keep in mind that we will continue to issue invitations and interview right up until the decision deadline."
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Re: Calling all Darden-UVA Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 09:14
Narenn wrote:
If you are around, join us in the chat with Darden's Admission director - Rita Morrow.
GMAT Club Chat Room: http://gmatclub.com/gchat/

Hi,

Would you be able to share a transcript of the chat for those of us who could not make it due to work commitments.

Thank you Narenn
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 10:27
private345 wrote:
Narenn wrote:
If you are around, join us in the chat with Darden's Admission director - Rita Morrow.
GMAT Club Chat Room: http://gmatclub.com/gchat/

Hi,

Would you be able to share a transcript of the chat for those of us who could not make it due to work commitments.

Thank you Narenn

Sure. I will post chat summary in few hours.

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 11:55
Hoping for some good news next week. Congrats to those who got invited!
Intern
Intern
Calling all Darden-UVA Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 21:08
sperry2 wrote:
Andy7207 wrote:
mickeydees wrote:
I got an invite to the Darden Fellowship days as well! Do you know how many were invited? I also haven't been contacted by the University about admissions/interview. Do you need to hear form both?

I asked, and yes, they are separate processes, so you need to hear from both. Apparently if you do get an "admissions invite," they can combine it into the Jefferson weekend.

Unfortunately I still haven't heard about an admissions interview... my plan is to wait a few days for a possible invite, then call the admissions office and explain my situation. I can't make two trips to Charlottesville so it will be interesting trying to figure this out.

Shoot. I didn't apply in round 1, so I probably can't even ask for an admissions interview during the fellowship weekend.

Well, I'm past the RSVP deadline with this, and I hope it didn't screw anyone over... but I told them I couldn't make it because I was waiting for an admissions interview. They e-mailed me back today and said that Jefferson weekend counts as an admissions interview invite. In other words, if you accept the Jefferson invite, they'll also schedule an admissions interview the same weekend. If you reject the Jefferson invite, you'll have to wait for a separate interview invitation. I guess I misunderstood their original e-mail. I feel bad and hope nobody here ended up rejecting an invite or anything.

I don't know how it works with Round 2 submissions, perhaps you can call and ask. I'm leaving this here so maybe future years can come back and see this.
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2015, 02:11
Hello Everyone,

Here is summary of recent Darden Admissions chat for all those who could not make it to the event. Those who want to read entire chat transcript can download the same from this post.

Hi Rita, by when can the round 1 International applicants start getting interview invites?

Darden_Rita: Invitations began to go out earlier this week. Another batch will go out early next week. However, please keep in mind that we will continue to issue invitations and interview right up until the decision deadline.

There are a lot of different paths we can go with the essay question. What more specifically is the admissions committee looking for?

Darden_Rita: We're looking for character insight. As an MBA student and young professional you are likely to receive a great deal of developmental feedback. How do you/will you respond to such feedback.

I just got a Skype interview, would it be with an admission officer or a second year student? Would it be video-based or audio only?

Darden_Rita: Congratulations on your interview invitation. In the 1st round only members of the professional admissions committee conduct remote interviews. Those interviews are conducted via Skype, ideally with video, provided Skype cooperates!

Could you talk about the Experiential Learning opportunities offered at Darden?

Darden_Rita: Regarding experiential learning opportunities, just this year, Darden has added a experiential piece to the 1st year curriculum. Toward the end of the year all 1st years will be completing a hands-on project for an organization. Please also note there are experiential opportunities through several clubs and our center for global initiative.

In regards to the new first year experiential piece you spoke about earlier - "[the] hands-on project for an organization" - is this a local project, national, or global?

Darden_Rita: Regarding the new 1st year experiential experience... we're still putting together the opportunities, so I really don't know the locations of the organizations. However, I can tell you that our dean has a goal of every student having an int'l experience before graduation - US students outside the US and int'l students in the US.

Do the interview invites go out by country? And how will interviews for Indian candidates be conducted in round 1, skype or face-to-face?

Darden_Rita: Not generally. The only time interview invitations go out by country would be when we ask alumni to interview on our behalf.
For Indian candidates living in India, interviews will be conducted both by skype and face-to-face by alumni. The choice is generally based on the availability of alumni in a given location.

What attributes does Darden look for in the MBA applicants?

Darden_Rita: Strong scores, performance in previous academic work, employment record. Communication and interpersonal skills are of particular importance since we teach using the case method and have learning teams in 1st year.

What percentages of seats are filled in R1?

Darden_Rita: I really can't even guess at the % of seats filled in Rd 1, however, we do tend to over-offer a bit in that round as we believe those candidates who have applied early are those most interested in attending, plus we have every seat to fill, so are not all that concerned with "crafting" the class.

Hi Rita, could you elaborate upon the leadership development programs/concentrations offered at Darden?

Darden_Rita: Leadership classes are a requirement in the 1st year curriculum and offered as electives in the 2nd year. I don't know that there is a leadership concentration, however. A concentration is not required here and fewer than 1/2 of our students choose one.

For prospective students from prominently lecture based education, how does darden measure their fit for the extensive case based teaching in darden?

Darden_Rita: Almost without exception, candidates come to us with lecture-based educational backgrounds. We put a great deal of emphasis on communication and interpersonal skills as reported upon by recommenders and observed in the interview.

Does adcom differentiate between different types of Engineers? I mean Is a computer Engineer considered same as a Mechanical Engineer?

Darden_Rita: Engineers...We realize the fundamental differences among engineering educational backgrounds. And look to professional experience as another way to discern the unique contribution and candidate may bring to Darden.

Hi Rita, asking on behalf of my Chinese friends, what would be the on-target GMAT for China applicants pool? And would GMAT be a more important factor in scholarship determination?

Darden_Rita: Chinese candidates should aim for a GMAT score of at least 700. We have a number of types of scholarships in which different factors are considered - need-based scholarships are not as GMAT sensitive as some others.

What are the learning opportunities in terms of projects for students seeking a career in technology?

Darden_Rita: The number of technology industry recruiters has grown substantially over the past several years. Darden has made a concerted effort to attract tech firms and projects as an increasing number of our students have interest in the industry. Our Dean visited in Silicon Valley this fall as part of the effort.

Do the companies come for recruitment during the 'First Coffee' or is that time reserved strictly for faculty-student interaction?

Darden_Rita: Just today at 1st coffee a company offered a buffet breakfast for our community. Company representatives were present to informally interact with students and others, and they will also be holding "office-hours" for further discussions with students.

What is the most important aspect you look for during the interviews?

Darden_Rita: In interviews, we are looking to determine whether a candidate "fits" with Darden's culture and whether or not s/he has the communication and interpersonal skills to both contribute to and gain from our case-method pedagogy and our community.

Chat Transcript
Attachment:
UVA Darden Admissions Chat 29th Sept 15.pdf [549.41 KiB]
Downloaded 37 times
To download please login or register as a user

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Manager
Manager
Video Blog: Diversity Videos with Karen Ohen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2015, 08:00
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Video Blog: Diversity Videos with Karen Ohen
The Darden Admissions Blog is pleased to introduce our Director of Diversity Recruitment Karen Ohen. Karen will be doing videos that highlight the diverse community here at Darden, and share their stories to all of you! Stay tuned for more videos from Karen, and if you have any questions for us, please email us at darden@virginia.edu

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.34
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 08:15
Indian applicant..received an invite at 2 am IST today to interview on skype!! :)
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Retail)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 21:01
arvindmba wrote:
Indian applicant..received an invite at 2 am IST today to interview on skype!! :)

HI Arvind when did you submit ?
Also could you please give a brief overview of your profile.

Thanks in advance.
Current Student
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 00:49
indraban wrote:
arvindmba wrote:

Hi Arvind when did you submit ?
Also could you please give a brief overview of your profile.

Thanks in advance.

Hi...I submitted the application on 07-Oct, about 20 hours before deadline. I have a GPA of around 3.3-3.4(Not sure) in mechanical engineering from NIT. Have worked in a leading commercial vehicle manufacturer for the past 5 years - 4 years in Marketing - After sales. Have had some social impact experiences in the past couple of years.
Interested in consulting after MBA and social impact activities.
GMAT- 770. TOEFL - 116.
All the best!!
BSchool Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 09:18
Early this week, still relatively quiet lol
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 06:37
Has anyone got the interview invitation this week? I am starting to give up hope of an interview call. :cry:
BSchool Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 06:39
The lady from UVA last week said they were expecting another wave of invites going out "early" this week....so tomorrow by noon we should see something, or else we probably got dinged lol
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 06:40
rajaroy wrote:
Has anyone got the interview invitation this week? I am starting to give up hope of an interview call. :cry:

Same feelings here..:(:(
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 07:13

Hi Olin,

Thank you for your e-mail. Our interview invites will continue to go out until December.

Kind regards,

Darden Admissions
Actions

Olin UWSTL
3:04 PM
To: darden@virginia.edu
Dear UVA Darden Admission,

I am contacting on behalf of a group of applicants including myself, hoping to find out whether more interview invitations will be sent out soon to round 1 applicants or not. It is almost mid November and quite a few of us are wondering how the admission process and timeline work. I'd really appreciate if you can shed some light on this, thanks!

Regards,
Olin2016

I consider this totally useless response lol
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 08:13
It is very weird that there is no deadline for interview responses :S
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 11:50
Olin2016 wrote:

Hi Olin,

Thank you for your e-mail. Our interview invites will continue to go out until December.

Kind regards,

Darden Admissions
Actions

Olin UWSTL
3:04 PM
To: darden@virginia.edu
Dear UVA Darden Admission,

I am contacting on behalf of a group of applicants including myself, hoping to find out whether more interview invitations will be sent out soon to round 1 applicants or not. It is almost mid November and quite a few of us are wondering how the admission process and timeline work. I'd really appreciate if you can shed some light on this, thanks!

Regards,
Olin2016

I consider this totally useless response lol

Darden has rolling invites, and they will invite even up to a week or so before decisions. Unless you hear a ding, assume you are still in it.
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 12:20
Received a Darden invite at 11:32a Pacific time
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 12:23
jwang27 wrote:
Darden has rolling invites, and they will invite even up to a week or so before decisions. Unless you hear a ding, assume you are still in it.

Any idea how frequent it is for candidates residing in the US to be called at the last moment? I am assuming it would take time for west coast candidates to plan a trip to Charlottesville compared to international candidates who get interviewed on Skype.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 13:05
Just received an invite! International from South America.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Darden-UVA Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018 &nbs [#permalink] 10 Nov 2015, 13:05

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  29    Next  [ 565 posts ] 

Calling all Darden-UVA Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: rohan2345, Amaranth

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap