Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619237 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Johnson Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
You can easily get in, depends on your application at this point, let me know if you need help/ answers to specific questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
WE:Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Johnson Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
I'd recommend taking the GMAT again, if you have time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Hi AppUKJ
How much score is required in GMAT ? Since you are suggesting to take it again .

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
WE:Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Overall, I'd agree that your profile is fine - but there's nothing that stands out. You'll be judged against a challenging pool of applicants due to your nationality, where high GMATs are the norm. As a result, if you have time, I'd suggested retaking the GMAT and getting as high a score as you can. If you have other opportunities to make your profile outstanding in the time available, then by all means do that instead.

For your application - make sure it's great and that your really happy with it - get good at selling yourself - background, ambitions and how an MBA fits in. I'm not sure that talking about oneself is something that comes naturally to those from India - at least not compared to the US where it will be expected during recruiting and you'll want to demonstrate to admissions that you won't have any issues in that regard.

All the best - hope it goes well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Hello Guys!!
Would really appreciate if you guys could evaluate my profile

GMAT: 730 Q 51 V 38
CGPA 8.48 from ITER, SOA University
12th- 76
10th- 89

Work Ex: 5.5 years by the time I start my MBA

Presently working with a nationalised bank in the forex department. Currently having a work ex of slightly more than 3 years.

Previously 1 and a half years work ex in TCS as an automation engineer.

Post MBA I am looking for a career in finance preferably in the investment banking division.
Achievements and Extra Curriculars:

1. Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Bankers(CAIIB)- Cleared both levels
2. Represented TCS in the corporate badminton tournament in Kolkata.
3. Winner of College and University Badminton Titles for 3 years.
4. Represented State Badminton Team in the nationals
5. Captained State School Badminton Team in the nationals
6. Received Sports Scholarship from the State Govt and also a 10% weightage in marks after 10th but didnt use it
7. Won State Badminton Tournaments and Prize Money Tournaments(10-15 events)
8. Captained School Team in our inter DAV(MHRAT) meet.
9. Won MHRAT Badminton Tournament multiple times
10. Was an active member of JAAGO, a club in our college which used to teach poor kids from slum areas. Used to visit orphanages to give them gifts and also took out the kids on picnics. Unable to continue due to frequent transfers in my job where I have worked in 5 different places already in 4 years.
11. Chief Coordinator of College Events and also a national level Cricket Premier League organised by our college

Please let me know my overall chances..Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Hey Asheesh, you have a great profile, none of your acheivements/ credentials should stop you from getting in, what can stop you is your application and/ or interview. Work on those, you would be a great fit.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
djprithvi wrote:
Hey Asheesh, you have a great profile, none of your acheivements/ credentials should stop you from getting in, what can stop you is your application and/ or interview. Work on those, you would be a great fit.

Thanks djprithvi for your motivating words.. :)
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Expert Reply
Asheesh Nayak wrote:
Hello Guys!!
Would really appreciate if you guys could evaluate my profile

GMAT: 730 Q 51 V 38
CGPA 8.48 from ITER, SOA University
12th- 76
10th- 89

Work Ex: 5.5 years by the time I start my MBA

Presently working with a nationalised bank in the forex department. Currently having a work ex of slightly more than 3 years.

Previously 1 and a half years work ex in TCS as an automation engineer.

Post MBA I am looking for a career in finance preferably in the investment banking division.

1. Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Bankers(CAIIB)- Cleared both levels
2. Represented TCS in the corporate badminton tournament in Kolkata.
3. Winner of College and University Badminton Titles for 3 years.
4. Represented State Badminton Team in the nationals
5. Captained State School Badminton Team in the nationals
6. Received Sports Scholarship from the State Govt and also a 10% weightage in marks after 10th but didnt use it
7. Won State Badminton Tournaments and Prize Money Tournaments(10-15 events)
8. Captained School Team in our inter DAV(MHRAT) meet.
9. Won MHRAT Badminton Tournament multiple times
10. Was an active member of JAAGO, a club in our college which used to teach poor kids from slum areas. Used to visit orphanages to give them gifts and also took out the kids on picnics. Unable to continue due to frequent transfers in my job where I have worked in 5 different places already in 4 years.
11. Chief Coordinator of College Events and also a national level Cricket Premier League organised by our college

Please let me know my overall chances..Thanks in advance

Thanks for sharing.

You have interesting activities and community involvement to share. It would help to play up more achievements at work, including leadership experiences. Showing how your experiences can be leverage towards your post-MBA goal can help make your application convincing.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 550 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
Hello All

I've been planning to do my MBA starting next fall. I would like to have a feedback on my profile from folks here on the forum. Look forward to some interesting insights. :-D

I have taken my GMAT. Scores are as follows.

Q 46
V 34
Total: 650

How good is my GMAT Score for top end universities? Do I need to retake? If yes, what should I be aiming at? My dream universities are indeed Stanford, HBS, MIT, Haas and Cornell. However, I am more or less okay with anything that is in top 50 in the US.

Thank you all in advance for your valuable feedback.

Cheers

Yeshu
Attachments

Resume Format.doc [51.5 KiB]
Downloaded 109 times

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello,
My name is Salik, I am from Pakistan.My profile summary is as follows:

GMAT:
I gave my GMAT today and scored 640 [Q=42(47 p),V=35(76),IR= 6(69p) ]. I want to apply to schools in round 2 this year, so in worst case I wont be able to retake my gmat. I have taken it thrice 640,590,640 gave my first attempt in march 2016.My quant score is low but I have had various mathematical courses during the university, few of them of advance level including physics, numerical analysis, calculus advance etc. I may also be able to request my recommenders to emphasize on their observations on my quant skills.

Education:
I did my BS of computer science from Institute of Business Administration, Karachi (Oldest and one of the top business schools in Pakistan). I graduated with a gold medal and a CGPA of 3.42. I know two languages, English (Advance), Urdu (Advance, native). I can speak french too, had two courses, struggle with it.

Experience:
I work in IT department of Dawlance Group of companies. It is a market leader in home appliance industry in Pakistan since 1985. Recently, Arcelik has acquired the Dawlance to enter south Asian market. I have had 3 years of experience(will have 4 years of experience by next year August), got promotions every year and am currently the youngest Deputy Manager in the company's history. My latest responsibilities include managing IT team and initiatives in 2 of our manufacturing facilities in Pakistan.
I have lead various cross functional teams and have completed projects requiring systems overhauls, change management, employee motivation analysis and operations automation.Also,I have been doing projects consistently with top executives/directors of my company, I have had projects that required me to interact with our vendors, low level employees and occasionally our consumers too. I has also awarded outstanding Mentee award under the internal program in our organization by the name of leadership without title.

Social work/co-cirricular:
I have been an active social contributor, recently, I built a team in my city to run a plantation campaign in Karachi. Moreover, I did a social internship back in university. Where I lack is that I do not have a documentation proof of that.It was a recently concluded plantation campaign, I played my role in gathering a team to achieve a target of 100 plants in my area. Other than that, I have been involved in evaluating start up ideas for a course in my university as an alumni elevator at various events and classes . I have also recently registered myself for career counselling clinics at my alma mater to help final year students with their career planning, and interview skills.

I was elected as executive council member for two consecutive years during my second and third year at university. These elections involved proper campaigning and elections were made based on votes from students. I took some first-time-ever initiatives during my tenure.

Ambition:
The progression of my career supports the ambition to eye the position of CIO. I have been involved in process management, process automation and various other projects that added business value to the organization through the introduction or deeper involvement of technology in various business functions. I would like to use my whole mba experience to catapult myself towards the CIO position at an MNC.

I would really appreciate if you could tell me if i stand a chance for Johnson business school given the brief profile above.

Thanks!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
Salik, hate to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think that a GMAT of 640 is going to get the job done for Johnson. I mean the average GMAT is between 690 and 700, and that's for the average, not the Indian average which is probably 20 points over that. I think for an Indian to get in there with that type of GMAT it would have to be like Indian artist feminist or something like that. Someone way outside the norm.

The people who do better on the GMAT from one attempt to the next change what they do. Just doing more of the same from one test to the next is not going to get you better results. You need to see your blind spots and get group and/or 1-1 help. MBA math completion would help a little bit but I'm afraid that's just too low
:-( it might be better for you to look at slightly lower ranked schools, or European schools like IE.

But the more important question is why is this a big hurry for you? I would just take your time get that GMAT thing dialed in. Try different things. Unfortunately it has a great deal to do with this process. Unless you're being chased by a bear I don't think it would be the best thing for you to apply this year.

One of my GMAT clients actually had done the exam 3 times no four times before we started working together. And her fourth attempt was actually the lowest which sent her into a massive depression.

Once we started working together things came together for her and she ended up getting a 35 which is not an impressive score in and of itself but it was huge improvement from where she came, and she ended up getting a tattoo on her wrist depicting her journey.

So what I'm saying is until you hit the tattoo period keep at it. She had actually gone through a couple of unhelpful tutors in different things, which I haven't heard from you. Find what works for you, don't just use the try harder do better approach which is not a strategy, okay :-)?

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
salickk wrote:
Hello,
My name is Salik, I am from Pakistan.My profile summary is as follows:
Hi @Salik! Thanks for reaching out! First of all your experience from being in Pakistan helps a little bit to distinguish you in a a very crowded pool. I want to go beyond your GMAT score as this was addressed in earlier posts- I think one way to think of this is to do your own self audit here. If something - like the GMAT in your case - is "under" the bar for this school, something ELSE (or several SOMETHING ELSES) should be OVER the bar. So ask yourself- Is my GPA above the bar? Do I have unique work experience that is above the average? Have I made a unique contribution to my community? And now the other thing- which I don't see here at all- and could really help you- is What is it about Johnson that appeals to you? It can't just be that it's the "best" IVY MBA I think I can get into... You can imagine that this message will not endear you to Johnson ADCOM..... So do some research... stand out by visiting the school, or at least contacting current students. Find out WHY this place is special and how it really fits with helping you attain YOUR career goals. Is there a club that you can start? Do you have some unique perspective to bring? Maybe you need to take a GMAT break and answer these questions first... and then when you are ready to tackle the GMAT again- maybe give it another shot. Or apply now with the score you have but only if you have done exceptional research and know why this program is a good fit. And then to be thorough- make sure your school list has not just stretch programs- which is what this looks like for you now at Johnson, but also some target and safety programs to round out the mix! Best wishes to you and remember to enjoy the journey... :) This is supposed to be fun! I know it can be stressful- but try to approach this as the next chapter of your life and it is important to enjoy every step of the journey.
GMAT:
I gave my GMAT today and scored 640 [Q=42(47 p),V=35(76),IR= 6(69p) ]. I want to apply to schools in round 2 this year, so in worst case I wont be able to retake my gmat. I have taken it thrice 640,590,640 gave my first attempt in march 2016.My quant score is low but I have had various mathematical courses during the university, few of them of advance level including physics, numerical analysis, calculus advance etc. I may also be able to request my recommenders to emphasize on their observations on my quant skills.

Education:
I did my BS of computer science from Institute of Business Administration, Karachi (Oldest and one of the top business schools in Pakistan). I graduated with a gold medal and a CGPA of 3.42. I know two languages, English (Advance), Urdu (Advance, native). I can speak french too, had two courses, struggle with it.

Experience:
I work in IT department of Dawlance Group of companies. It is a market leader in home appliance industry in Pakistan since 1985. Recently, Arcelik has acquired the Dawlance to enter south Asian market. I have had 3 years of experience(will have 4 years of experience by next year August), got promotions every year and am currently the youngest Deputy Manager in the company's history. My latest responsibilities include managing IT team and initiatives in 2 of our manufacturing facilities in Pakistan.
I have lead various cross functional teams and have completed projects requiring systems overhauls, change management, employee motivation analysis and operations automation.Also,I have been doing projects consistently with top executives/directors of my company, I have had projects that required me to interact with our vendors, low level employees and occasionally our consumers too. I has also awarded outstanding Mentee award under the internal program in our organization by the name of leadership without title.

Social work/co-cirricular:
I have been an active social contributor, recently, I built a team in my city to run a plantation campaign in Karachi. Moreover, I did a social internship back in university. Where I lack is that I do not have a documentation proof of that.It was a recently concluded plantation campaign, I played my role in gathering a team to achieve a target of 100 plants in my area. Other than that, I have been involved in evaluating start up ideas for a course in my university as an alumni elevator at various events and classes . I have also recently registered myself for career counselling clinics at my alma mater to help final year students with their career planning, and interview skills.

I was elected as executive council member for two consecutive years during my second and third year at university. These elections involved proper campaigning and elections were made based on votes from students. I took some first-time-ever initiatives during my tenure.

Ambition:
The progression of my career supports the ambition to eye the position of CIO. I have been involved in process management, process automation and various other projects that added business value to the organization through the introduction or deeper involvement of technology in various business functions. I would like to use my whole mba experience to catapult myself towards the CIO position at an MNC.

I would really appreciate if you could tell me if i stand a chance for Johnson business school given the brief profile above.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
yeshu_a wrote:
Hello All

I've been planning to do my MBA starting next fall. I would like to have a feedback on my profile from folks here on the forum. Look forward to some interesting insights. :-D

I have taken my GMAT. Scores are as follows.

Q 46
V 34
Total: 650

How good is my GMAT Score for top end universities? Do I need to retake? If yes, what should I be aiming at? My dream universities are indeed Stanford, HBS, MIT, Haas and Cornell. However, I am more or less okay with anything that is in top 50 in the US.

Thank you all in advance for your valuable feedback.

Cheers

Yeshu

Honestly? Not good. If you'd done a little research you would have seen a couple of things:

1) The Indian application pool is very over-subscribed and therefore very competitive, in terms of GMAT you should be aiming for above the average GMAT by 20-30 points to be competitive.
2) Your GMAT score falls significantly under the average for all the schools you have mentioned.

When are you planning on applying? There is a lot you need to figure out before you apply, such as why you need an MBA, what you want to do after it, what will you add to the program etc.
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '19
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hello All -
I gave my GMAT a couple of days ago and got a score of 720(Q50/V38). I need advice on the schools that I can apply to with my score and have a realistic chance of admission being an Indian applicant. Below is a brief on my profile:

Graduation: Mechanical Engineering(Passed out in 2013) - GPA: 3.5(according to WES)
Work Experience: 39 months in sales and marketing at ExxonMobil Corporation and currently working as an operations manager at NEED(Network for Economic and Entrepreneurship Development ; It's a non-profit organization based out of Lucknow, India)
Extra-Curriculars: school and college Football team, Squash and Swimming school teams ; Acted in and directed Choreos during college ; Part of organizing committee of a number of college fests and led the marketing team during a couple of fests.
Volunteer work: Part of a number of volunteer activities during college and work at EM(house building, teaching, roadshows etc).

Interest: Marketing and Strategy

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 2.9
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Would really be thankful if you guys can take a look at my profile

Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 700 Q 50 V 34 (Giving the exam again on 13th of next month)
Undergrad 7.29/10 from IIIT Hyderabad (Next to old IITs sorta collage)
12th 93% 10th 88%

Work Ex: 4 years by the time I start my MBA

Currently with Grab Singapore (Backend engineer)
Previously 2 years 2 months at Google India as a Software Engineer
Although this does not count (10 months Research intern with CA during undergrad and Summer intern at Groupon)

1. U14 State level Kabaddi (Represented Odisha)
2. Cultural Head for annual techno cultural fest of Undergrad university [ And also Cultural head for 2 successive years for intra college events]
3. Ed Support volunteer at Make A difference ( ~ 8 months)
4. ACM ICPC two times onsite under 30 ranked team
5. TA for artificial intelligence in Undergrad
6. School(High school and Primary) level certificates for few sports and cultural events

Any suggestions or any idea about the chances?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Olin '19 (WL)
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Background and nationality: 3yrs WE in Oil and Gas, Indian (Female)
Undergrad Information: Delhi College of Engineering
GRE: 319 (170Q, 149V) [prev scores 313- 161Q, 151V]
Work experience and leadership: International projects with leading companies. Leadership roles - extensive in undergrad.
Community and others: Actively engaged in platforms since my undergrad
Post MBA goals: Consulting
Anything else? Schooling and internships are from Gulf
MBA Strategy Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
akay91 wrote:
Would really be thankful if you guys can take a look at my profile

Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 700 Q 50 V 34 (Giving the exam again on 13th of next month)
Undergrad 7.29/10 from IIIT Hyderabad (Next to old IITs sorta collage)
12th 93% 10th 88%

Work Ex: 4 years by the time I start my MBA

Currently with Grab Singapore (Backend engineer)
Previously 2 years 2 months at Google India as a Software Engineer
Although this does not count (10 months Research intern with CA during undergrad and Summer intern at Groupon)

1. U14 State level Kabaddi (Represented Odisha)
2. Cultural Head for annual techno cultural fest of Undergrad university [ And also Cultural head for 2 successive years for intra college events]
3. Ed Support volunteer at Make A difference ( ~ 8 months)
4. ACM ICPC two times onsite under 30 ranked team
5. TA for artificial intelligence in Undergrad
6. School(High school and Primary) level certificates for few sports and cultural events

Any suggestions or any idea about the chances?

Hi, you've got good GMAT, international background and impressive extra-curricular activities. Your ranking proves your leadership skills and strong motivation. What you should work on is your post-MBA career goals and how they are relevant to MBA education in general and Cornell studies in particular
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderator:
Johnson, CBS, and McDonough Moderator
3 posts