Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 08:59 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.05
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Re: Johnson Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Sazzad10464106 wrote:
Male, Country: Bangladesh, Age: 29, GMAT: 730, GPA: 3.05, Post MBA Goal: IB

Work Experience: 5 Years

Started working as a sales manager at a paint manufacturing company after graduation. I was there for 1 year. Had to leave that job to look after my ailing father.

After my father's death started a job as a Management Trainee at a Private Commercial Bank. (Note: There is a 18 month long gap here.) As a management trainee, I was posted in the credit department in one of the branches of the Bank. There I was responsible for the overdraft loans, retail loans, sme loans, monthly reporting. I was also additionally responsible for the accounts department and one portion of the clearing department.

After one year of probationary period as a Management Trainee, I was assigned in the same branch in the same deportment as a Credit Analyst. This time I had bigger roles. I was responsible for the Corporate Loan proposals. I was also responsible for the financial analysis of all the customers. In that period, I developed a reputation of being an expert in analyzing financial statements. Upon the requests from my colleagues, I delivered multiple lectures on financial analysis to them. I also led the deployment of two new products for the branch; one was a deposit product and the other was a loan product.

I am currently working as the Business Analyst & Personal Secretary to the Chairman of the same Bank. I got selected for this role after an internal recruitment process. After being selected for the role, I developed a completely new executive summary format which the bank meticulously follows now for all the loan proposals submitted to the Board of Directors and to the Executive Committee. On the Chairman's behalf, I analyze all the loan proposals submitted to the Board of Directors and to the Executive Committee. I also analyze all the files submitted to the Audit Committee and to the Risk Management Committee. I also liaise with all the relevant stakeholders on the Chairman's behalf. I responsible for the arrangement of all the meetings with take place in the Board Division of the Bank. I maintain all the schedules of the Chairman.

Extra Curriculars: College

Was a part of the batch cricket team and soccer team. Participated in multiple tournaments as a player.

Implemented several events; 1 Outdoor Cricket Tournament, 1 Indoor Cricket Tournament, 1 Indoor Games Tournament.

Was an active member of the Communications Club of my College. This club was famous for arranging an annual branding competition where universities from all over the country participated. Actively worked for those events throughout my undergrad years.

Had a part time job in an advertising firm for one and a half months where I was responsible for managing sponsors for an event.

Extra Curriculars: After College

Will the teaching of financial statements count?

Used my experience of arranging several events in my work life. Arrange two picnics when I was a sales manager. One picnic had 50 participants, another had 450.

Arranged multiple events in my stint as a Credit Analyst.

Somebody please evaluate my profile and give me some tips.

👋 Hey Sazzad10464106,

I came across your profile evaluation query on the forum and thought I'd reach out to offer some assistance from my own experience.

So here is what I would suggest:

Your profile shows a combination of perseverance, notable professional achievements in the banking sector, and a holistic development through extracurricular activities. Let's break it down:

Strengths:

➡️ Professional Experience 🏢: The transition from sales to a pivotal role in banking, especially as a Business Analyst & Personal Secretary to the Chairman of a bank, is noteworthy. Your demonstrated skills in financial analysis and contributions like the executive summary format are strong points that show proactive leadership.

➡️ GMAT Score 📈: A score of 730 is an impressive score and will make you a competitive applicant in most business schools.

➡️ Extra-Curriculars 🏏⚽: Both in and out of college, your involvement in sports and events shows a well-rounded personality. Organizing events, both at work and during college, reflects leadership and team management skills.

Areas of Improvement & Detailed Suggestions:

➡️ GPA 🎓: Your GPA is decent, so it's essential to craft a narrative in your essays that explains any discrepancies and focuses on your strengths.

Example: Perhaps, delve deeper into personal challenges you've faced, such as caring for your ailing father, which showcases resilience and personal growth.

➡️ Work Gap ⏳: The 18-month gap due to personal reasons should be addressed in your application. Business schools appreciate candor and understanding the personal challenges can offer depth to your character.

Example: Highlight how the gap allowed you to reflect, develop personal strengths, or even gain a renewed perspective that enhanced your performance upon re-entering the professional world.

➡️ Post-MBA Goals 🎯: The desire to transition to Investment Banking (IB) needs a compelling story, especially when transitioning from a different vertical within the banking sector.

Example: Elucidate on specific moments or experiences that drew you towards IB and how an MBA will bridge your current skills with your future aspirations.

➡️ Teaching Financial Statements 📘: Absolutely, teaching, especially something as technical as financial statements, can be counted as an extracurricular. It not only solidifies your expertise but also demonstrates a willingness to share knowledge.

Recommendations for Application:

➡️ Narrative Crafting 🖋️: Your story of resilience, facing personal challenges, and rising in your career despite them is powerful. Ensure this narrative is well-articulated in your essays.

➡️ Letter of Recommendation (LOR) 📄: Given your unique roles, an LOR from the Chairman or a senior executive would be impactful.

➡️ School Research 📚: Align your post-MBA goals with programs known for their strengths in finance and investment banking.

School Suggestions 🏫:

➡️ Dream: Wharton, Columbia, Chicago Booth
➡️ Competitive: Texas McCombs, NYU Stern, Duke Fuqua, Michigan Ross
➡️ Safe: Indiana Kelley, Notre Dame Mendoza, Foster, UIUC

In conclusion, you have a strong profile with unique experiences and have displayed resilience in the face of challenges. With the right narrative and application strategy, you can aim for top-tier business schools.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a FREE call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.

Or DM for help!

👉 Click Here to Schedule a FREE Call 👈
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619418 [0]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Re: Johnson Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Johnson Profile Evaluation
Introducing New Better Profile Evaluations on GMAT Club!

Considering your application to a B-School? The first step in this significant journey is to evaluate your profile to gauge where you stand among the vast pool of applicants. We're excited to introduce a NEW and IMPROVED consolidated list of tools and platforms available on GMAT Club to assist you in this endeavor.