Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 15:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Q40 The computer companys present troubles are a result of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Q40 The computer companys present troubles are a result of [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 21:46
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 317

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Q40 The computer companys present troubles are a result of [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 21:55
Marcab wrote:
Many thanks for the reply.
"....are result of technological
stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders
so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed
to correct it"
"HOW"are the company's present troubles a result of technological
stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders?
ANSWER: Because several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct the company's troubles.

As far as I think, if one is able to create a "how" question and is able to answer it, then the in that construction is valid.
Please let me know if I am missing something. I feel I am pretty naive in SC.

Moreover, please elaborate how you prefer "revising to" over "revising at". Both to and at are preposition and hence are followed by noun. What's wrong in that?

Experts,

Can someone answer the above query?

I have the same one.

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 4

Re: Q40 The computer companys present troubles are a result of [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2014, 08:16
Without "them" in C, the sentence is not even complete.

One way to think about "in that" is that it expresses specific information to elaborate on a general statement.
For e.g. Humans are mammals in that they are warm-blooded.
"In that" explains "in what way" humans belong to the general category of mammals.

Back to the question. First, the antecedent of "them" is unclear.
Let us assume that "them" refers to the correct antecedent. Now ask whether "in that" makes sense.

"The company's troubles are the result of X problems" in that "Y attempts have failed to correct the X problems".
Here, does "Y attempts..." explain how or in what way "the company's troubles are the result of those problems"? To be able to explain it, the attempts would need to have come first. But the attempts to correct can only have come after the problems were discovered, not before.

In this question, the sequence of events is more like this: Stagnation/missteps/blunders -> troubles -> attempts.

At best, the two threads provide independent pieces of information. "In that" incorrectly links them.

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [3] , given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Q40 The computer companys present troubles are a result of [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2014, 07:47
This post received
KUDOS
This sentence, among other things, entails the intrinsic knowledge of common English constructions.

“so that” is used to introduce the concept of consequence. For instance,

I am studying hard for the GMAT, so that I can get a good score.
The president is tapering IT industries’ tax-breaks so that his approval rating will rise.
Europe will rebuff any nuclear power-plant project so that the risk of potential trouble is greatly diminished.

A, B, C “so that” construction in this sentence is logically out of place.

A) pronoun "it" is un-necessary and ambiguous. You don’t say “This is the car that I sold it.
B) fragment: the sentence is incomplete.
C) “in that” is completely wrong. Moreover “them” is un-necessary and ambiguous.
D) this is the correct answer. Every issue has been addressed. (“so that” construction has been discarded, “attempts to” substituted with “attempts at”, and “it/them” removed.
E) “them” once again is not necessary and wrong.

>> Hope it Helps
Re: Q40 The computer companys present troubles are a result of   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2014, 07:47