Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 22:33 It is currently 11 May 2024, 22:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 705-805 Levelx   Humanitiesx   Short Passagex                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38925 [213]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63853 [49]
Given Kudos: 1782
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63853 [38]
Given Kudos: 1782
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6883 [36]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Antonia Castañeda has utilized scholarship from women’s studies and Me [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
willacethis wrote:
Dear experts

Can someone explain why the answer of question 4 is C?

Thanks!

SanjaySrini wrote:
GMATNinja could explain how the answer for the 4th question(primary purpose) is "describe historical origin of literary stereotype"?

NandishSS wrote:
Quote:
4. The primary purpose of the passage is to

C. describe the historical origins of a literary stereotype
D. discuss ways in which minority writers have sought to critique a dominant culture through their writing

HI GMATNinja, generis, jennpt, VeritasPrepErika, GMATRockstar, TestPrepUnlimited ,MentorTutoring

I was down with two options. What makes option C correct?

Wow, a lot of digital ink has been spilled recently on Question 4. Interestingly enough, the question was dropped from both the 2019 and 2020 editions of the OG Verbal Review. Nevertheless, in the interest of helping willacethis, SanjaySrini, and NandishSS, as well as the community at large, here are my thoughts on this tricky question.

Quote:
4. The primary purpose of the passage is to

Okay, a primary purpose/main idea question should be pretty straightforward. One consideration in your approach to such questions is to justify the presence of each paragraph. That is, it is not good enough to choose an answer that summarizes a paragraph at the exclusion of another or, worse yet, focuses on a detail within a single part of the passage. So what is this passage about, both paragraphs considered? What is the authorial presence? Let us see what the answers have in store.

Quote:
A. trace historical influences on the depiction of Mexican Americans in the nineteenth century

I typically put problematic parts of an answer choice in red font, but this one warrants more of a yellow-light, look-before-you-leap highlight. To be clear, I have no problem with trace historical influences, and the passage does, in fact, discuss how Mexican Americans were depicted in nineteenth-century literature. However, the first line of the passage makes it clear that Castañeda, through whose lens we view the content of the text, has peered into scholarship on the period to examine... portrayals of Mexican women. It is the women, not all Mexican Americans, who are the focus of the research. Although the second paragraph mentions unflattering depictions of Mexicans, the description only serves as a contrast to the more favorable portrayal of the Californianas--the Mexican women of the territory, as the group is defined at the end of paragraph one. Finally, this answer omits the keyword literary. The passage mentions literary depictions from beginning to end. To say that the primary purpose is to examine influences on the general depiction of any or all Mexican Americans of the time is an overstatement. I would not get rid of this answer choice right away, but I would explore other options that might place women in particular front and center.

Quote:
B. explain how research in history has been affected by scholarship in women's studies

Phew, this one is much easier to eliminate. To straighten the answer out, scholarship in women's studies is affecting research in history? Women's studies is mentioned as a discipline through which Castañeda has conducted research, but so, too, is history itself. Look at the first line of the passage again:

Antonia Castañeda has utilized scholarship from women's studies and Mexican-American history to examine nineteenth-century literary portrayals of Mexican women.

Women's studies and Mexican-American history are mentioned side by side, with no cause-and-effect relationship in sight. Keep moving.

Quote:
C. describe the historical origins of a literary stereotype

This is a difficult one to make heads or tails of in a first pass. If a literary stereotype lies at the heart of the passage, then first, what is that stereotype, and second, do both paragraphs, or, in other words, does the entire passage, center on this idea? It takes a little detective work, but yes, the passage map is clear. The literary stereotype is not mentioned explicitly until the beginning of the second paragraph, conveniently with the word stereotypical preceding it—the story of an ambitious non-hispanic merchant or trader desirous of marrying an elite Californiana. Aha, so the plot is the stereotype! Now the pieces start to fall into place. The first paragraph sets the stage, providing the historical information, while the second paragraph delves into the literature itself. The concluding line of the first paragraph tells us that although non-Hispanic women were being economically displaced by industrialization, their Mexican counterparts in territorial California, the "Californianas," were ensured property rights and inheritance rights equal to those of males. And now the stereotypical or patent plot makes sense: scheming men wanted to marry up to an elite social status, and marriage to Californianas was the vehicle through which that upward mobility could be achieved. A little Barry Lyndon-ish, right? If you were a little standoffish on your first read, I would understand. (I was, too.) But this is a qualified answer.

Quote:
D. discuss ways in which minority writers have sought to critique a dominant culture through their writing

This is a fitting description of another passage, perhaps, but not the one in front of us, in which minority writers are not even mentioned. No, this passage focuses on the works of primarily male, non-Hispanic novelists of the nineteenth century. Another answer that is clearly incorrect.

Quote:
E. evaluate both sides in a scholarly debate about a prominent literary stereotype

About the only thing this answer choice is good for is that it shines more light on this notion that the passage concerns a literary stereotype. The scholarly debate is noticeably absent, however, with Castañeda serving as our only guide.

To sum up, between (A) and (C), (A) presents too much of a blanket statement. In a passage that starts and ends with a focus on women, it is too broad to say the primary purpose concerns the depiction of Mexican Americans in general. Meanwhile, choice (C) ties together the information from the two paragraphs of the passage in a manner that is hard to argue against, even if we usually think of a stereotype as a description of a type of person.

I hope that helps. I would love to know why GMAC™ decided to exclude the question from more recent editions of the Verbal Review. In any case, good luck, everyone, with your studies.

- Andrew
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 260 [17]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Olin '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE:Supply Chain Management (Retail)
Send PM
Re: Antonia Castañeda has utilized scholarship from women’s studies and Me [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
culsivaji wrote:
Could someone post explanation for the questions ? Thanks

I just share my opinion, hope it may help somehow.
Paragraph 1: Castañeda finding
while on-Hispanic women being economically displaced by industrialization, Californianasthere was proteced by law.
Paragraph 2: implication of the law
the law helps explain desirous of marrying an elite Californianas over other: economic significance.

Q1: The “apparent contradiction” mentioned in line 29 refers to the discrepancy between the
A. legal status of Mexican women in territorial California and their status in the United States
B. unflattering depiction of Mexicans in novels and the actual public sentiment about the Mexican-American War
C. existence of many marriages between Californianas and non-Hispanic merchants and the strictures against them expressed in novels
D. literary depiction of elite Californianas and the literary depiction of other Mexican individuals
E. novelistic portrayals of elite Californianas’ privileged lives and the actual circumstances of those lives

in the second paragraph, the law helps explain the contradiction between Californianas and the other: " Californianas were portrayed more favorably than were others of the same nationality." choice D does this

Q2: Which of the following could best serve as an example of the kind of fictional plot discussed by Antonia Castañeda?
A. A land speculator of English ancestry weds the daughter of a Mexican vineyard owner after the speculator has migrated to California to seek his fortune.
B. A Californian woman of Hispanic ancestry finds that her agricultural livelihood is threatened when her husband is forced to seek work in a textile mill.
C. A Mexican rancher who loses his land as a result of the Mexican-American War migrates to the northern United States and marries an immigrant schoolteacher.
D. A wealthy Californiana whose father has bequeathed her all his property contends with avaricious relatives for her inheritance.
E. A poor married couple emigrate from French Canada and gradually become wealthy as merchants in territorial California.

in paragraph 2: "Because of their real-life economic significance, the Californianas were portrayed more favorably than were others of the
same nationality."
it clearly tells "economic significance", so choi A: seek fortune
A land speculator of English ancestry weds the daughter of a Mexican vineyard owner after the speculator has migrated to California to seek his fortune

Q3:
Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for Castañeda’s explanation of the “stereotypical plot” mentioned in lines 18-19?
A. Non-Hispanic traders found business more profitable in California while it was a territory than when it became a state.
B. Very few marriages between Hispanic women and non-Hispanic men in nineteenth-century territorial California have actually been documented.
C. Records from the nineteenth century indicate that some large and valuable properties were owned by elite Californianas in their own right.
D. Unmarried non-Hispanic women in the nineteenth-century United States were sometimes able to control property in their own right.
E. Most of the property in nineteenth-century territorial California was controlled by Hispanic men.

According to the passage, stereotypical plot refers to the reason why the Californianas were portrayed more favorably than were others of the same nationality: economic significant.
- so if scholar found that Californianas were poor, it weakens the explaination.
-If studies found Californianas were rich, it supports the explaination. choice C does this.

generally, this paragraph is hard for me. very happy to see other opinions.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [3]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
The “apparent contradiction” mentioned in line 29 refers to the discrepancy between the

A. legal status of Mexican women in territorial California and their status in the United States
B. unflattering depiction of Mexicans in novels and the actual public sentiment about the Mexican-American War
C. existence of many marriages between Californianas and non-Hispanic merchants and the strictures against them expressed in novels
D. literary depiction of elite Californianas and the literary depiction of other Mexican individuals
E. novelistic portrayals of elite Californianas’ privileged lives and the actual circumstances of those lives

"The importance of economic alliances
forged through marriages with Californianas explains
this apparent contradiction. Because of their real-
(30) life economic significance, the Californianas were
portrayed more favorably than were others of the
same nationality."

I we read the above excerpt form the RC we can see that the apparent contradiction was the depiction of elite Californians and other Mexicans .
The paragraph is discussing the role played by elite Californians in getting support for American-Mexican war .
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8837 [3]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
1. The “apparent contradiction” mentioned in line 29 refers to the discrepancy between the
D. literary depiction of elite Californians and the literary depiction of other Mexican individuals - These novels’ favorable portrayal of such women
is noteworthy since Mexican-American historians have concluded that unflattering literary depictions of Mexicans were vital in rallying the United States public’s support for the Mexican-American War (1846–1848). The importance of economic alliances forged through marriages with Californianas explains this apparent contradiction.Because of their real-life economic significance, the Californians were portrayed more favorably than were others of the same nationality.

2 .Which of the following could best serve as an example of the kind of fictional plot discussed by Antonia Castañeda?
A. A land speculator of English ancestry weds the daughter of a Mexican vineyard owner after the speculator has migrated to California to seek his fortune. - the story of an ambitious non-Hispanic merchant or trader desirous of marrying an elite Californiana.

3. Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for Castañeda’s explanation of the “stereotypical plot” mentioned in lines 18-19?
For Castañeda, the laws explain a stereotypical plot created primarily by male, non-Hispanic novelists: the story of an ambitious non-Hispanic merchant or trader desirous of marrying an elite Californiana.
A. Non-Hispanic traders found business more profitable in California while it was a territory than when it became a state. - Irrelevant
B. Very few marriages between Hispanic women and non-Hispanic men in nineteenth-century territorial California have actually been documented. - Irrelevant
C. Records from the nineteenth century indicate that some large and valuable properties were owned by elite Californianas in their own right. - Correct - strengthens the claim that Californiana was desired for economic reasons .
D. Unmarried non-Hispanic women in the nineteenth-century United States were sometimes able to control property in their own right. - Irrelevant - we are not concerned about entire United States
E. Most of the property in nineteenth-century territorial California was controlled by Hispanic men. - Weakener - This goes against the author's premise - Hispanic law in territorial
California protected the economic position of “Californianas” (the Mexican women of the territory) by ensuring them property rights and inheritance rights
equal to those of males.
Answer C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
arvind910619 wrote:
The “apparent contradiction” mentioned in line 29 refers to the discrepancy between the

Hi faced difficulty in answering First Question itself ,I hope You can help here-

The below Sentence in the Paragraph is quite Confusing For me The importance of economic alliances forged through marriages with Californianas explains this apparent contradiction. The use of word "This " here , From my perspective if we have word this then that thing is already explained before not in the following sentence.

I spent my time in searching answer before this sentence but i was wrong. Please help.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [2]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Kudos
Hi GMATNinja

In Question 1 --- why is C wrong ?

There were marriages

Also there were unflattering literary depictions of Mexicans for the support of the Mexican - USA war

Hence i chose C

Please let me know where is my logic wrong
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5655 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
P1 - AC women study; male author perception; hispanic women are doing better.
P2 - non-hispanic male marry hispanic lady. contrast. explanation.

(Book Question: 89)
The “ apparent contradiction” mentioned in line 29 refers to the discrepancy between the
Because of their real-life economic significance, the Californianas were portrayed more favourably than were others of the same nationality.
D. literary depiction of elite Californianas and the literary depiction of other Mexican individuals -

----------------------------------------------
(Book Question: 90)
Which of the following could best serve as an example of the kind of fictional plot discussed by Antonia Castañeda?

the story of an ambitious non-hispanic merchant or trader desirous of marrying an elite Californiana.

A. A land speculator of English ancestry weds the daughter of a Mexican vineyard owner after the speculator has migrated to California to seek his fortune.
----------------------------------------------

(Book Question: 91)
Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for Castañeda’s explanation of the “stereotypical plot” mentioned in lines 18-19?
the story of an ambitious non-hispanic merchant or trader desirous of marrying an elite Californiana.
PT - if some proof found on the same lines, - ambitious non-hispanic merchant, marrying an elite Californiana, economically it should be good.

A. Non-Hispanic traders found business more profitable in California while it was a territory than when it became a state. --- this can be a general argument.
B. Very few marriages between Hispanic women and non-Hispanic men in nineteenth-century territorial California have actually been documented. - far from anything.
C. Records from the nineteenth century indicate that some large and valuable properties were owned by elite Californianas in their own right.- on the lines of PT.
D. Unmarried non-Hispanic women in the nineteenth-century United States were sometimes able to control property in their own right. - hispanic women is focus.
E. Most of the property in nineteenth-century territorial California was controlled by Hispanic men. - non-hispanic is focus.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2236 [6]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos