It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 08:24

STARTING SOON:

Live Chat with Cornell Adcoms in Main Chat Room  |  R1 Interview Invites: MIT Sloan Chat  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  |  Duke Fuqua Chat (EA Decisions)

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Antonia Castañeda has utilized scholarship from women’s studies and Me

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 2671 [1], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Antonia Castañeda has utilized scholarship from women’s studies and Me [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 03:42
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

33% (02:50) correct 67% (02:37) wrong based on 389

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

57% (00:49) correct 43% (00:35) wrong based on 381

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

51% (01:05) correct 49% (00:54) wrong based on 366

The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018 New RC
Antonia Castañeda has utilized scholarship from women's studies and Mexican-American history to examine nineteenth-century literary portrayals of Mexican women. As Castañeda notes, scholars of women's history observe that in the Unites States, male novelists of the period─during which, according to these scholars, women's traditional economic role in home-based agriculture was threatened by the transition to a factory-based industrial economy─define women solely in their domestic roles of wife and mother. Castañeda finds that during the same period that saw non-Hispanic women being economically displaced by industrialization, Hispanic law in territorial California protected the economic position of "Californianas" (the Mexican women of the territory) by ensuring them property rights and inheritance rights equal to those of males.

For Castañeda, the laws explain a stereotypical plot created primarily by male, non-Hispanic novelists: the story of an ambitious non-hispanic merchant or trader desirous of marrying an elite Californiana. These novels' favourable portrayal of such women is noteworthy, since Mexican-American historians have concluded that unflattering literary depictions of Mexicans were vital in rallying the United States public's support for the Mexican-American War (1846-1848). The importance of economic alliances forged through marriages with Californianas explains this apparent contradiction. Because of their real-life economic significance, the Californianas were portrayed more favourably than were others of the same nationality.

(Book Question: 89)
The “apparent contradiction” mentioned in line 29 refers to the discrepancy between the

A. legal status of Mexican women in territorial California and their status in the United States
B. unflattering depiction of Mexicans in novels and the actual public sentiment about the Mexican-American War
C. existence of many marriages between Californianas and non-Hispanic merchants and the strictures against them expressed in novels
D. literary depiction of elite Californianas and the literary depiction of other Mexican individuals
E. novelistic portrayals of elite Californianas’ privileged lives and the actual circumstances of those lives

(Book Question: 90)
Which of the following could best serve as an example of the kind of fictional plot discussed by Antonia Castañeda?

A. A land speculator of English ancestry weds the daughter of a Mexican vineyard owner after the speculator has migrated to California to seek his fortune.
B. A Californian woman of Hispanic ancestry finds that her agricultural livelihood is threatened when her husband is forced to seek work in a textile mill.
C. A Mexican rancher who loses his land as a result of the Mexican-American War migrates to the northern United States and marries an immigrant schoolteacher.
D. A wealthy Californiana whose father has bequeathed her all his property contends with avaricious relatives for her inheritance.
E. A poor married couple emigrate from French Canada and gradually become wealthy as merchants in territorial California.

(Book Question: 91)
Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for Castañeda’s explanation of the “stereotypical plot” mentioned in lines 18-19?

A. Non-Hispanic traders found business more profitable in California while it was a territory than when it became a state.
B. Very few marriages between Hispanic women and non-Hispanic men in nineteenth-century territorial California have actually been documented.
C. Records from the nineteenth century indicate that some large and valuable properties were owned by elite Californianas in their own right.
D. Unmarried non-Hispanic women in the nineteenth-century United States were sometimes able to control property in their own right.
E. Most of the property in nineteenth-century territorial California was controlled by Hispanic men.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #1 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #2 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #3 OA

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 2671 [1], given: 220

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 230

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Antonia Castañeda has utilized scholarship from women’s studies and Me [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 00:04
Could someone post explanation for the questions ? Thanks

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 230

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Antonia Castañeda has utilized scholarship from women’s studies and Me [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 03:42
This post received
KUDOS
culsivaji wrote:
Could someone post explanation for the questions ? Thanks

I just share my opinion, hope it may help somehow.
Paragraph 1: Castañeda finding
while on-Hispanic women being economically displaced by industrialization, Californianasthere was proteced by law.
Paragraph 2: implication of the law
the law helps explain desirous of marrying an elite Californianas over other: economic significance.

Q1: The “apparent contradiction” mentioned in line 29 refers to the discrepancy between the
A. legal status of Mexican women in territorial California and their status in the United States
B. unflattering depiction of Mexicans in novels and the actual public sentiment about the Mexican-American War
C. existence of many marriages between Californianas and non-Hispanic merchants and the strictures against them expressed in novels
D. literary depiction of elite Californianas and the literary depiction of other Mexican individuals
E. novelistic portrayals of elite Californianas’ privileged lives and the actual circumstances of those lives

in the second paragraph, the law helps explain the contradiction between Californianas and the other: " Californianas were portrayed more favorably than were others of the same nationality." choice D does this

Q2: Which of the following could best serve as an example of the kind of fictional plot discussed by Antonia Castañeda?
A. A land speculator of English ancestry weds the daughter of a Mexican vineyard owner after the speculator has migrated to California to seek his fortune.
B. A Californian woman of Hispanic ancestry finds that her agricultural livelihood is threatened when her husband is forced to seek work in a textile mill.
C. A Mexican rancher who loses his land as a result of the Mexican-American War migrates to the northern United States and marries an immigrant schoolteacher.
D. A wealthy Californiana whose father has bequeathed her all his property contends with avaricious relatives for her inheritance.
E. A poor married couple emigrate from French Canada and gradually become wealthy as merchants in territorial California.

in paragraph 2: "Because of their real-life economic significance, the Californianas were portrayed more favorably than were others of the
same nationality."
it clearly tells "economic significance", so choi A: seek fortune
A land speculator of English ancestry weds the daughter of a Mexican vineyard owner after the speculator has migrated to California to seek his fortune

Q3:
Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for Castañeda’s explanation of the “stereotypical plot” mentioned in lines 18-19?
A. Non-Hispanic traders found business more profitable in California while it was a territory than when it became a state.
B. Very few marriages between Hispanic women and non-Hispanic men in nineteenth-century territorial California have actually been documented.
C. Records from the nineteenth century indicate that some large and valuable properties were owned by elite Californianas in their own right.
D. Unmarried non-Hispanic women in the nineteenth-century United States were sometimes able to control property in their own right.
E. Most of the property in nineteenth-century territorial California was controlled by Hispanic men.

According to the passage, stereotypical plot refers to the reason why the Californianas were portrayed more favorably than were others of the same nationality: economic significant.
- so if scholar found that Californianas were poor, it weakens the explaination.
-If studies found Californianas were rich, it supports the explaination. choice C does this.

generally, this paragraph is hard for me. very happy to see other opinions.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 34

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 00:36
for this last text there must be three more questions or a new text with 3 questions. am i right?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 533

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 08:18
The “apparent contradiction” mentioned in line 29 refers to the discrepancy between the

"The importance of economic alliances
forged through marriages with Californianas explains
this apparent contradiction. Because of their real-
(30) life economic significance, the Californianas were
portrayed more favorably than were others of the
same nationality."

I we read the above excerpt form the RC we can see that the apparent contradiction was the depiction of elite Californians and other Mexicans .
The paragraph is discussing the role played by elite Californians in getting support for American-Mexican war .

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 533

Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 950 [0], given: 72

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 11:16
1. The “apparent contradiction” mentioned in line 29 refers to the discrepancy between the
D. literary depiction of elite Californians and the literary depiction of other Mexican individuals - These novels’ favorable portrayal of such women
is noteworthy since Mexican-American historians have concluded that unflattering literary depictions of Mexicans were vital in rallying the United States public’s support for the Mexican-American War (1846–1848). The importance of economic alliances forged through marriages with Californianas explains this apparent contradiction.Because of their real-life economic significance, the Californians were portrayed more favorably than were others of the same nationality.

2 .Which of the following could best serve as an example of the kind of fictional plot discussed by Antonia Castañeda?
A. A land speculator of English ancestry weds the daughter of a Mexican vineyard owner after the speculator has migrated to California to seek his fortune. - the story of an ambitious non-Hispanic merchant or trader desirous of marrying an elite Californiana.

3. Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for Castañeda’s explanation of the “stereotypical plot” mentioned in lines 18-19?
For Castañeda, the laws explain a stereotypical plot created primarily by male, non-Hispanic novelists: the story of an ambitious non-Hispanic merchant or trader desirous of marrying an elite Californiana.
A. Non-Hispanic traders found business more profitable in California while it was a territory than when it became a state. - Irrelevant
B. Very few marriages between Hispanic women and non-Hispanic men in nineteenth-century territorial California have actually been documented. - Irrelevant
C. Records from the nineteenth century indicate that some large and valuable properties were owned by elite Californianas in their own right. - Correct - strengthens the claim that Californiana was desired for economic reasons .
D. Unmarried non-Hispanic women in the nineteenth-century United States were sometimes able to control property in their own right. - Irrelevant - we are not concerned about entire United States
E. Most of the property in nineteenth-century territorial California was controlled by Hispanic men. - Weakener - This goes against the author's premise - Hispanic law in territorial
California protected the economic position of “Californianas” (the Mexican women of the territory) by ensuring them property rights and inheritance rights
equal to those of males.
Answer C

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 950 [0], given: 72

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 22:50
arvind910619 wrote:

Hi faced difficulty in answering First Question itself ,I hope You can help here-

The below Sentence in the Paragraph is quite Confusing For me The importance of economic alliances forged through marriages with Californianas explains this apparent contradiction. The use of word "This " here , From my perspective if we have word this then that thing is already explained before not in the following sentence.

I spent my time in searching answer before this sentence but i was wrong. Please help.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1579 [0], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 15:17
ukunal wrote:
arvind910619 wrote:

Hi faced difficulty in answering First Question itself ,I hope You can help here-

The below Sentence in the Paragraph is quite Confusing For me The importance of economic alliances forged through marriages with Californianas explains
this apparent contradiction
. The use of word "This " here , From my perspective if we have word this then that thing is already explained before not in the following sentence.

I spent my time in searching answer before this sentence but i was wrong .Please help.

The apparent contradiction is, in fact, explained before line 29.

Quote:
These novels’ favorable portrayal of such women is noteworthy, since Mexican-American historians have concluded that unflattering literary depictions of Mexicans were vital in rallying the United States public’s support for the Mexican-American War (1846–1848).

This sentence says that elite Californians (i.e. "such women") were portrayed favorably by male, non-Hispanic novelists. Thus, the literary depiction of elite Californianas was favorable.

In contrast, this sentence implies that literary depictions of Mexicans, in general, were unflattering (and, thus, unfavorable), because such unflattering depictions were vital in rallying support for the M-A War.

So we have an apparent contradiction: in general, literary depictions of Mexicans were unflattering, but elite Californianas (Mexican women in California) were portrayed favorably. This is the contradiction described by choice (D) in the first question.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning

Kudos [?]: 1579 [0], given: 400

Re: Antonia Castañeda has utilized scholarship from women’s studies and Me   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2017, 15:17

Antonia Castañeda has utilized scholarship from women’s studies and Me

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap