Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Evaluate Argumentx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1401 [45]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [16]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [8]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [3]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Re: Traverton s city council wants to minimize the city s [#permalink]
Kudos
mojorising800 wrote:
7. Traverton’s city council wants to minimize the city’s average yearly expenditures on its traffi c signal lights and so
is considering replacing the incandescent bulbs currently in use with arrays of light-emitting diodes (LEDs) as the
incandescent bulbs burn out. Compared to incandescent bulbs, LED arrays consume signifi cantly less energy
and cost no more to purchase. Moreover, the costs associated with the conversion of existing fi xtures so as to
accept LED arrays would be minimal.
Which of the following would it be most useful to know in determining whether switching to LED arrays would be
likely to help minimize Traverton’s yearly maintenance costs?
(A) Whether the expected service life of LED arrays is at least as long as that of the currently used
incandescent bulbs
(B) Whether any cities have switched from incandescent lights in their traffi c signals to lighting elements other
than LED arrays
(C) Whether the company from which Traverton currently buys incandescent bulbs for traffi c signals also sells
LED arrays
(D) Whether Traverton’s city council plans to increase the number of traffi c signal lights in Traverton
(E) Whether the crews that currently replace incandescent bulbs in Traverton’s traffi c signals know how to
convert the existing fi xtures so as to accept LED arrays
]

Option A..... else reason "LED arrays consume significantly less energy and cost no more to purchase." would be nullified since LEDs would be bought and exchanged more freq than the incandescent bulbs!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
another sub-400 level question. A is blatant
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
WE:Business Development (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Bookmarks
I got this wrong.

In option A) Whether the expected service life of LED arrays is at least as long as that
of the currently used incandescent bulbs.

The para states that LEDs consume significantly less energy and cost the same.

For example

Energy savings per year caused by the change from incandescent to LED = 1000000$
But LEDs last for 52 weeks, while incandescent last for 53 weeks.
The answer to the question, "Whether the expected service life of LED arrays is at least as long as that
of the currently used incandescent bulbs" is no here. But it would still make sense to shift from incandescent to LED, because the difference is less.

It significantly reduces energy consumption, so the only reason to not change from incandescent to LEDs would be if the service life of LEDs was significantly lesser than that of incandescent bulbs. It need not have a service life at least equal to that of incandescent.
It would be very important to know what the service lives of each of them are, so we can make a calculated decision. But the answer to the question - "Whether the expected service life of LED arrays is at least as long as that
of the currently used incandescent bulbs." tells us nothing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Why is D wrong?
I was stuck between A & D

(A) Whether the expected service life of LED arrays is at least as long as that of the currently used incandescent bulbs
we are evaluating but for me D looks more strong enough
(D) Whether Traverton’s city council plans to increase the number of traffic signal lights in Traverton
council plans to increase the number, yearly costs wont minimize!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20719 [3]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Traverton s city council wants to minimize the city s [#permalink]
Bookmarks
mojorising800 wrote:
Traverton’s city council wants to minimize the city’s average yearly expenditures on its traffic signal lights and so is considering replacing the incandescent bulbs currently in use with arrays of light-emitting diodes (LEDs) as the incandescent bulbs burn out. Compared to incandescent bulbs, LED arrays consume significantly less energy and cost no more to purchase. Moreover, the costs associated with the conversion of existing fixtures so as to accept LED arrays would be minimal.

Which of the following would it be most useful to know in determining whether switching to LED arrays would be likely to help minimize Traverton’s yearly maintenance costs?

(A) Whether the expected service life of LED arrays is at least as long as that of the currently used incandescent bulbs
(B) Whether any cities have switched from incandescent lights in their traffic signals to lighting elements other than LED arrays
(C) Whether the company from which Traverton currently buys incandescent bulbs for traffic signals also sells LED arrays
(D) Whether Traverton’s city council plans to increase the number of traffic signal lights in Traverton
(E) Whether the crews that currently replace incandescent bulbs in Traverton’s traffic signals know how to convert the existing fixtures so as to accept LED arrays

OG2017 CR553 P513

Traverton’s Traffic Lights

Step 1: Identify the Question

The phrase most helpful to know in determining in the question stem indicates that this is an Evaluate the Argument question.

Step 2: Deconstruct the Argument

Conc: replace bulbs with LEDs to << costs
b/c…
consume < energy
no more to purchase
not costly to change

The argument provides several cost advantages associated with switching to LEDs. Are there any other potential costs not discussed?

Step 3: Pause and State the Goal

On Evaluate questions, the goal is to find a piece of information that would be important to know to determine whether the conclusion is valid.

Step 4: Work from Wrong to Right

(A) CORRECT. The life of LEDs compared to current bulbs will affect how frequently they need to be changed and thus directly influence maintenance costs. If the life is about the same or LONGER, then switching may help to minimize costs. If the life is much SHORTER, however, then switching may cause costs to increase.
(B) The decisions by other towns to use LEDs do not affect the maintenance costs in Traverton.
(C) The source for purchasing incandescent bulbs versus LEDs does not directly affect costs.
(D) The number of traffic lights does not influence the relative costs of using LEDs versus incandescent bulbs. Each light source will still need a bulb.
(E) Whether the same crew can handle LED conversion does not have a direct impact on costs. Moreover, fixture conversion represents a onetime expenditure that will not influence ongoing maintenance costs.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
I chose D with below reasoning:
Although IB and LED arrays costs almost same, since energy consumed by LED arrays is less, this would help in minimizing T's yearly costs. If while increasing no of lights (as suggested in D), they use more LED arrays then my maintenance costs will be lower. What is incorrect with my reasoning?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
The question asks to minimise yearly average costs. It does not ask whether the cost will increase/decrease from previous year

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
mojorising800 wrote:
Traverton’s city council wants to minimize the city’s average yearly expenditures on its traffic signal lights and so is considering replacing the incandescent bulbs currently in use with arrays of light-emitting diodes (LEDs) as the incandescent bulbs burn out. Compared to incandescent bulbs, LED arrays consume significantly less energy and cost no more to purchase. Moreover, the costs associated with the conversion of existing fixtures so as to accept LED arrays would be minimal.

Which of the following would it be most useful to know in determining whether switching to LED arrays would be likely to help minimize Traverton’s yearly maintenance costs?

(B) Whether any cities have switched from incandescent lights in their traffic signals to lighting elements other than LED arrays
(C) Whether the company from which Traverton currently buys incandescent bulbs for traffic signals also sells LED arrays
(E) Whether the crews that currently replace incandescent bulbs in Traverton’s traffic signals know how to convert the existing fixtures so as to accept LED arrays

OG2017 CR553 P513

OA is A but I have a kind of disagreement with. As it is given in argument "as the incandescent bulbs burn out"(means LED wouldn't burn out or better service life) is given the answer to Option A so further determining same thing is not be the correct option. IMO answer should be E.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [4]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
vksharma wrote:
OA is A but I have a kind of disagreement with. As it is given in argument "as the incandescent bulbs burn out"(means LED wouldn't burn out or better service life) is given the answer to Option A so further determining same thing is not be the correct option. IMO answer should be E.

I think you might be misunderstanding this part of the passage: "as the incandescent bulbs burn out". This means that WHEN an incandescent bulb burns out, it will be replaced with an LED (as opposed to replacing all of the incandescent bulbs all at once, regardless of whether they are burnt out).

The use of "as" in this sentence is similar to the following sentence: "As guests arrive, the hostess will take their coats." Here "as" is used to describe when something is happening. In this case, "as" is NOT used as a comparison (i.e. (just) as). I believe you interpreted this phrase to mean: "SINCE the incandescent bulbs burn out...."

As for choice (E), we need to determine "whether switching to LED arrays would be likely to help minimize Traverton’s yearly maintenance costs". Even if we have to spend some money up front to retrain workers, this one-time up-front cost will not affect YEARLY maintenance costs in the long run. Besides, we are already told that the cost of converting the fixtures would be minimal. We also don't necessarily need the CURRENT crews to install the LEDs. Whether the bulbs are replaced by current crews or other crews, we need to know how the change will impact yearly maintenance costs. Choice (E) does not help.

And welcome to GMAT Club, vksharma!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
honchos wrote:
paidlukkha wrote:
Why is D wrong?

Comparison for Cost effecting solution is between incandescent bulbs and LED's. You got carried away by the statement "Whether Traverton’s city council plans to increase the number of traffic signal lights in Traverton"

Even if it plans to increase the number still the comparison will be between incandescent bulbs and LED's.

X number of LED are cost effective than X number of incandescent bulbs

Even if the city plans to increase the traffic lights say by a Factor of Y

Still X+ Y number of LED will be cost effective to X+Y number of incandescent bulbs. Does this all make sense to you?

Thus, D doesn't help us to reach anywhere.

I do not agree with your reasoning for option D here. Option D says plans to increase. That means they have not increased the number of traffic signals yet.
If you think that the city would first increase the number of bulb signals and then change those new bulb signals with the LEDs, then I guess it is non sensical to first add bulbs to the new signals and then replace them with LEDs.

Point here is the argument talks about average yearly expenditure which will remain same for even if you increase the number of traffic signals.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
honchos wrote:
paidlukkha wrote:
Why is D wrong?

Comparison for Cost effecting solution is between incandescent bulbs and LED's. You got carried away by the statement "Whether Traverton’s city council plans to increase the number of traffic signal lights in Traverton"

Even if it plans to increase the number still the comparison will be between incandescent bulbs and LED's.

X number of LED are cost effective than X number of incandescent bulbs

Even if the city plans to increase the traffic lights say by a Factor of Y

Still X+ Y number of LED will be cost effective to X+Y number of incandescent bulbs. Does this all make sense to you?

Thus, D doesn't help us to reach anywhere.

But don't you think it is foolishness to first use the bulbs in new traffic signal lights and then replace them with the LEDs. My point is LEDs with be X +Y and Bulbs will be X. Now how will you compare them?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
adkikani,
Quote:
I chose D with below reasoning:
Although IB and LED arrays costs almost same, since energy consumed by LED arrays is less, this would help in minimizing T's yearly costs. If while increasing no of lights (as suggested in D), they use more LED arrays then my maintenance costs will be lower. What is incorrect with my reasoning?

As stated by ani007garg, we are asked, "Which of the following would it be most useful to know in determining whether switching to LED arrays would be likely to help minimize Traverton’s yearly maintenance costs?" Imagine that Traverton currently has 100 traffic signal lights and each of those lights costs $50 per year (ie cost of electricity) using incandescent bulbs (so $5,000 total in energy costs). Switching to LEDs might reduce the annual energy cost per light bulb to $40, bringing the total annual energy costs down to $4,000.
Quote:

Now, what if, as suggested in choice D, Traverton increases the number of traffic signal lights from, say, 100 to 200? If they stick with incandescent bulbs, the total annual energy cost will be $10,000, but if they change to LEDs, the total annual energy cost will be $8,000. Yes, it is true that $8,000 is more than the original annual cost using incandescent bulbs ($5,000), but $8,000 is cheaper than $10,000; therefore, based on annual energy costs, switching to LEDs would indeed help minimize Traverton's yearly maintenance costs, regardless of how many bulbs they have (or plan to have in the future). Now, if those LEDs only last half as long as the incandescent bulbs, that means Traverton will have to spend more money replacing bulbs if they convert to LEDs. This additional cost might offset the energy cost savings, in which case switching to LEDs might not help minimize Traverton's yearly maintenance costs.

Hi GMATNinjaTwo, would you please confirm whether my reasoning is valid.

I thinks D is hard to assess, because D say increase the number of lights, but how many ? we don't know. the prompt does not tell us.
suppose, increase 100 lights, the yearly maintain cost almost same, while increase 101 , the yearly maintain cost increase significant.
then as long as the increases are fewer than 100, then two paths( increase 1 light and increase 100 lights), then both results are almost same, (no matter increase 1or 100, the yearly costs are almost same)
once the increases are more than 100, then the yearly costs are almost same.

Please confirm

Thanks in advance.
>_~
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM