Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Urbana-Champaign (U Illinois) - Calling 2016 MBA Applicants [#permalink]
VoyagerII wrote:
sridhar9504 wrote:
Just received an email saying that I am waitlisted.

Anybody knows the waitlist scenario as compared to previous years.... I dont know if I should be hopeful or not especially because I dont see a big change in my current profile in the coming few months.

- Your waitlist, not about deficiencies in your profile, but about the adcom having admitted a number of people with the same profile as yours. From the minimum infor that you have here on gmatclub, i can tell you that you are a very strong candidate for the Illinois MBA.

- Now, what can you do to improve your chances. Nothing much, except to hope that admitted people with the same profile as yours decline the offer of admission. This is the only way that more seats can become available and the adcom can give you a seat.

- I feel that this is frustrating. Most of the MBA programs, they no longer admit people on their merit, but based on their country of origin. What this means is that if i'm from the Comoros and i have a crappy profile (worse numbers across), the adcom would admit me because i'm the only one applying from the Comoros, denying admission to my friend from South Korea (who has better numbers across) because there are 40 other people from South Korea who have been admitted. Anyway, that's my view.

-Finally, the Illinois MBA adcom will be adding people to the class, as late as July 31, 2013, two weeks before orientation. So if you plan on waiting, be prepared for the long haul. It's going to be a long long long ride. If you are an international student, the cut-off deadline for everything will be earlier, since they want to give you more time to put together visa issues. So, end of June is the last time they will clean up the WL for international students while end of July is for domestic applicants who don't need visas.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. The long wait may not be worth it after all because by May or June it would be a totally different scenario for me... And also, the pain of rejection after waiting till June (if that happens)... In my opinion, WL is almost equal to dinge...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
sridhar9504 wrote:
VoyagerII wrote:
sridhar9504 wrote:

Anybody knows the waitlist scenario as compared to previous years.... I dont know if I should be hopeful or not especially because I dont see a big change in my current profile in the coming few months.

- Your waitlist, not about deficiencies in your profile, but about the adcom having admitted a number of people with the same profile as yours. From the minimum infor that you have here on gmatclub, i can tell you that you are a very strong candidate for the Illinois MBA.

- Now, what can you do to improve your chances. Nothing much, except to hope that admitted people with the same profile as yours decline the offer of admission. This is the only way that more seats can become available and the adcom can give you a seat.

- I feel that this is frustrating. Most of the MBA programs, they no longer admit people on their merit, but based on their country of origin. What this means is that if i'm from the Comoros and i have a crappy profile (worse numbers across), the adcom would admit me because i'm the only one applying from the Comoros, denying admission to my friend from South Korea (who has better numbers across) because there are 40 other people from South Korea who have been admitted. Anyway, that's my view.

-Finally, the Illinois MBA adcom will be adding people to the class, as late as July 31, 2013, two weeks before orientation. So if you plan on waiting, be prepared for the long haul. It's going to be a long long long ride. If you are an international student, the cut-off deadline for everything will be earlier, since they want to give you more time to put together visa issues. So, end of June is the last time they will clean up the WL for international students while end of July is for domestic applicants who don't need visas.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. The long wait may not be worth it after all because by May or June it would be a totally different scenario for me... And also, the pain of rejection after waiting till June (if that happens)... In my opinion, WL is almost equal to dinge...

I feel your pain. I was on the WL throughout the winter, spring, and summer of 2013 at some schools! Booth, they didn't ding me at the end, instead they sent an apology letter July 29, saying they are disbanding the WL. So I understand when you say that the wait might not be worth it. On my part at least, i knew my deficiencies, but i didn't take the time to improve those deficiencies. Since the MBA is a significant investment, i would say that do some soul searching and decide how you can push up that GMAT score, etc. You should also have the patience to ride the storm, even it means reapplying next year. Don't let a skewed admission process demoralize you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sridhar9504 wrote:

Hey, I dont think you should give up... I have heard off people getting in with scholarships after being wait listed... its okay if your profile wont change.. maybe if you could introspect and recall a certain experience that you haven't yet told the adcom about, and maybe show them a perspective that is new as compared to a previous one... maybe that would make a diff...

Btw which other schools have you applied to??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Operations
Send PM
Me too wait listed :( ..anybody got in yesterday??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Hey Guys!

Waitlisted...i think yesterday was "waitlist day". I agree with what Voyager has said.. btu small class size at illinois doesnt help i think....and with the number of ppl applying from India ...huh!...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
abhishek241 wrote:
sridhar9504 wrote:

Hey, I dont think you should give up... I have heard off people getting in with scholarships after being wait listed... its okay if your profile wont change.. maybe if you could introspect and recall a certain experience that you haven't yet told the adcom about, and maybe show them a perspective that is new as compared to a previous one... maybe that would make a diff...

Thanks Abhishek... When you say people getting in after being shortlisted, is it for UIUC?

Also, I have applied to Penn Smeal, Purdue, Foster and Fisher.

Regards,
Sridhar
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Gave the interview last night. Now all this news of wait listing is disconcerting!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sridhar9504 wrote:
abhishek241 wrote:
sridhar9504 wrote:

Thanks Abhishek... When you say people getting in after being shortlisted, is it for UIUC?

Also, I have applied to Penn Smeal, Purdue, Foster and Fisher.

Regards,
Sridhar

I'm remember seeing this on some thread in gmatclub itself.. not sure which school's thread was i reading...but I think this is more general and not really specific to any school... and it also said that WL to admit will happen more for R1 applicants. So dont give up hope just yet!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.67
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Admitted with scholarship! :-D

I had my interview just 3 days back. Super quick response from the adcom. Much appreciated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
ganeshrkamath wrote:

I had my interview just 3 days back. Super quick response from the adcom. Much appreciated.

Congrats Ganesh! Now you gotta make a choice after multiple admits. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.67
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
AdiRedDevil wrote:
ganeshrkamath wrote:

Congrats Ganesh! Now you gotta make a choice after multiple admits. :)

Thank you! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
admitted with $...n now confused!!! any advice guys???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
abhishek241 wrote:

Depends on the choices you have and whats ur priority. If you could share the same with the forum people, you would get better advice.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AdiRedDevil wrote:
abhishek241 wrote:

Depends on the choices you have and whats ur priority. If you could share the same with the forum people, you would get better advice.

currently admitted to simon and illinois... also interviewed for maryland smith and have purdue krannert on monday..
post mba goal : business consulting...
and priority is to get into the best possible program... no constraints...
tks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
abhishek241 wrote:
AdiRedDevil wrote:
abhishek241 wrote:

currently admitted to simon and illinois... also interviewed for maryland smith and have purdue krannert on monday..
tks in advance

Business consulting is really aver wide field mate..you should narrow down to a field of your choice ...eg finance , supply chain etc and then make a decision..also keep in mind the general environment that a university fosters. You have to spend 2 years of your life there. Won't be able to study much if the environment is not in accordance with your liking.

If you go for pure rankings then smith should be your choice but then again you have to narrow down to a particular field.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Got waitlisted...this question has been asked before, but what are the chances of waitlist to admit conversion?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
abhishek241 wrote:
AdiRedDevil wrote:
abhishek241 wrote:

tks in advance

Well I agree with MBAMaster999. Consulting is wide field.. if not industry, u gotta be sure of function. In any case, from ur list, Purdue is best for Operations. I would go for Simon for Finance; Maryland for Supply-Chain and Marketing... Illinois for general management.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts