Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2017 Applicants! [#permalink]
ashe99 wrote:
iooioio wrote:
Hello all,
Not a US Vet/active duty. But, I'm an officer in the Canadian Air Force currently serving.

Looking to apply to some of the top 20-30 B Schools. I'm concerned about my low GPA (2.3) and low GMAT (580, Q45, V25). I did my undergrad in engineering from the Top university in Canada. Studying for the GMAT had been a challenge because I am often not in town due to various short term deployments and a very high work tempo. However, I did write the GMAT and achieved that score.

I have 5+ years of experience working in the military. Any pointers for leveraging this experience to over come the low GPA/GMAT? Or should I consider another attempt at the GMAT (this will again be challenging as I will not always be home for work reasons, which prevents a regular study routine).

I think my question is... why apply now if you're not ready? There is no Top 50 school with a GMAT average that low. I've read dozens of success stories of foreign applicants who barely speak English boosting their verbal scores from the teens to 35+. If you could pull off a Q45 V35, you're looking at around a 660 GMAT, which would definitely put you in the running at your targeted range (and probably some Top 20 schools that are more GMAT friendly). If you boost it to 700+, I have seen cases of military applicants getting into Top 10 schools with your GPA (or huge scholarships to schools in your range).

Is your timeline tied to your contract date? If so, my recommendation would be to do some serious networking to get a decent civilian gig for a year with 40-50 hour weeks to give you more study time. I bet if you heard some of the stories of the dudes on this thread you'd be surprised at how hard we've worked at this. I'm sure the majority of us totally put our lives on hold this year, especially the married applicants. I studied 300 hours for the GMAT while working 80+ hour weeks as one example. It's doable man. My recommendation would be to save your application money and not apply with your current stats. Just look at the ROI numbers sometime - you're better off holding off in order to apply to a better school. Feel free to PM me anytime - all of us want to see you succeed.

Hey, thanks for the feedback and enlightening me a bit. I was already on the fence about applying with this GMAT score.

No my timeline is not tied to my contract date, I have already completed my obligatory service and I have extended my contract for another 5 years.

Perhaps it is better that I spend the money to write the GMAT once (maybe twice) more until I get a good score, rather than waste it by applying with a very low chance of getting in.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Duke '19 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
iooioio wrote:
Perhaps it is better that I spend the money to write the GMAT once (maybe twice) more until I get a good score, rather than waste it by applying with a very low chance of getting in.

Take it as many times as required. Rule of thumb is you want to be within the 80th percentile range of the GMAT scores at your target schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Send PM
Did anyone get an HBS interview invitation today?

No luck here but all hope is not lost, still two days to go.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Dondarrion wrote:

No dice here man.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
ashe99 wrote:
Dondarrion wrote:

No dice here man.

Same, nothing Tuesday/nothing today
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Has anyone received an interview invitation from HBS yet?
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
BigRedBro wrote:

One of my clients got an invite today.

EDIT: Just heard from a second one who also did.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
BigRedBro wrote:

I had been checking my applicant page and didn't see it update, but I got the email for today's round of invites.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V36
Send PM
Thank god, I found this thread. I am applying while deployed and took the GMAT by base hoping here. CBS, McCombs and GWU applications still need work and I just took over a new platoon. All together things are looking well though. Anyone know when will Stern start releasing the invites? I almost lost hope on McDonough.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Welcome to the thread. Check the previous year Stern threads to get a good idea on the invite dates. You can get some pretty good insight by reading the old application threads in the various school forums.

Good to see we have some vets who got HBS invites, hope yall kick ass!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi

I have heard that military experience is a plus when applying for business schools.
I was in the army for about 2 years and I was discharged under "general under honorable conditions"
which means i get veteran status and benefits.

Now, my discharge was not "honorable" and is "general under honorable conditions."
and my DD214 states its for "misconduct."

1. How deep does school admissions look? Do they ask for DD214? and ask what the misconduct was about?
2. What do they ask for to prove i was in the army?
3. Is it worth mentioning my military experience?

I want to mention it but I am afraid "misconduct" would actually have a negative effect.

Can someone with experience in the military or in admissions that has factual knowledge answer this question for me?
No "i think"s from anyone without hard evidence or from someone who does not have knowledge in this department.

Thanks alot.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
How deep does school admissions look? Do they ask for DD214? and ask what the misconduct was about?

All schools run a complete background check and this would definitely be flagged.

Quote:
What do they ask for to prove i was in the army?

Same as above.

Quote:
Is it worth mentioning my military experience?

Yes. You aren't going to be able to "hide" your military experience or your GUHC discharge. Transparency is key here - you do not want to appear as though you are trying to mislead them. You sign the school's honor code or a "statement of integrity" at the end of your application.

Quote:
I want to mention it but I am afraid "misconduct" would actually have a negative effect.

The cold hard truth is that it is going to be incredibly difficult to get over this hurdle, especially because it involved "misconduct". What was the misconduct? You can PM me if you don't want to share it on here - I can't really advise you too well without knowing the details.

Broadly speaking, I would tackle it head on. You could talk about your mistakes, what you learned, and what you've done to fix yourself since, and then why you want to transition to b-school.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Concur with Dondarrion. There's nothing you can do to change what's happened in your past so the worst thing you could do at this point would be to obscure the details of your discharge (or be outright deceitful) and hope they don't notice. Anyone on adcom is going to know that the standard enlistment or commissioning contract is 4+ years so they're going to wonder why you didn't complete a full contract...you might as well own up to the mistakes up front and have a good story in regards to what you've learned from them.

Leaving your Army experience out of your application isn't an option either because having a two-year hole in your life would likely be an even bigger red flag than having to explain away a GUHC discharge.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Hey all, just wanted to leave an update. I was fortunate enough to get accepted to Columbia last week! Since I applied early decision, I'm withdrawing my Stern and Wharton apps. For anyone else who applied/is applying to CBS, below is my timeline:

Applied: Sep 7
Interview invite: Oct 3
Interview: Oct 10
Accepted: Oct 12

Sent from my SM-G920V using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Send PM
upstate wrote:
Hey all, just wanted to leave an update. I was fortunate enough to get accepted to Columbia last week! Since I applied early decision, I'm withdrawing my Stern and Wharton apps. For anyone else who applied/is applying to CBS, below is my timeline:

Applied: Sep 7
Interview invite: Oct 3
Interview: Oct 10
Accepted: Oct 12

Sent from my SM-G920V using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Great to hear man, congrats! Fantastic school.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just got my letter back from the VA, approved for 70% GI Bill. I was only 90 days shy of being a full 100% (my 2 years of initial training would've counted).

Hey - it wouldn't be the Marine Corps if I wasn't getting screwed, right?
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Looking for advice:

I took the GMAT prior to deploying last month and was rather disappointed with I scored a 580. Luckily where I am deployed there is a testing center that offers the GMAT, but in this environment it is difficult to find time to study.

I had aspirations of applying to Duke, Indiana University and The University of Texas. Thus, going off worst case scenario of not scoring higher on my next GMAT exam what are my chances of getting in to my desired schools.

This is my third deployment as a Military Intelligence Officer.

I graduated from the University of Indianapolis with a GPA of 3.94 double majoring in Economics and International Business.

I was a varsity scholarship athlete in Cross Country and Track and Field and for what it is worth I am an underrepresented minority.

Any help would be much appreciated.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9