GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 18:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all US Military Fall 2017 Applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
Schools: Darden '19 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.35
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2017 Applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2016, 11:31
Applying this year for R1 at Kellogg, Darden, Columbia (regular decision), and Fuqua. Been working with the guys at Military to Business and they have been fantastic. Also been reaching out to all the veterans clubs. Most (especially Darden and Duke) have been especially receptive and helpful in getting things organized and scheduling visits.

Getting down to crunch time for these essays...
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2016, 11:55
Hey, just introducing myself. I'll be applying to Columbia (early), Stern (R1) and Wharton (R2). I am an army captain and pilot. I graduated from West Point with a 3.62 GPA. My GMAT is a 710 (47Q, 41V, 8IR, 5.0AWA). I do not plan to take it again. My recommendations have been submitted, just need to finish up my essays. I am pursuing a career in investment management. Hopefully I get in somewhere. Best of luck to everyone.
Current Student
B
Schools: Duke '19 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2016, 12:30
Rewind159 wrote:
Getting down to crunch time for these essays...

The pressure is getting real!
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.25

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2016, 13:30
What do you guys think of Magoosh Vs E-GMAT? I wanted to start with those study programs first since they were a bit cheaper rather than jumping straight into a online scheduled Veritas Prep. Any other individualize (on your own) type GMAT prep courses online that you guys used? I ask that just because our work schedules are so hectic with all these random FTXs and training
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2016, 14:58
tringuyen0243 wrote:
What do you guys think of Magoosh Vs E-GMAT? I wanted to start with those study programs first since they were a bit cheaper rather than jumping straight into a online scheduled Veritas Prep. Any other individualize (on your own) type GMAT prep courses online that you guys used? I ask that just because our work schedules are so hectic with all these random FTXs and training

Hey man, I sent you a PM. If anyone else is considering Veritas or Manhattan prep courses, there is a 50% discount available to veterans. Hit me up for more information. I wasn't able to take advantage of it because I was late to the party.
Current Student
B
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q40 V41
GMAT 2: 670 Q43 V39
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 05:16
ashe99 wrote:
tringuyen0243 wrote:

Hey man, I sent you a PM. If anyone else is considering Veritas or Manhattan prep courses, there is a 50% discount available to veterans. Hit me up for more information. I wasn't able to take advantage of it because I was late to the party.

Wow! I got something to the effect of a 10% discount from Kaplan. This is great to know and I will definitely pass it along. Thanks for posting.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 09:24
Has anyone taken any online and/or community college courses to overcome a low gpa or low quant grades during undergrad i.e. alternative transcript? What are your recommended schools and/or coursework? Could a 700+ GMAT score offset my low GPA?

UCLA extension seems to be the most popular on this topic (alternative transcript). However, before I start dedicating time and money, I'd like to get thoughts from my military brethren. Thanks all.

For perspective, below are sub-par quant grades (brace yourselves):

Calc I: C+
Calc II: D+
Microecon: B
Macroecon: C
Calc based Physics I: C
Calc based Physics II: C
Social Statistics: A
Director
Director
B
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 10:55
fezzcb wrote:
Has anyone taken any online and/or community college courses to overcome a low gpa or low quant grades during undergrad i.e. alternative transcript? What are your recommended schools and/or coursework? Could a 700+ GMAT score offset my low GPA?

UCLA extension seems to be the most popular on this topic (alternative transcript). However, before I start dedicating time and money, I'd like to get thoughts from my military brethren. Thanks all.

UCLA Extension for finance/accounting/stat type classes, then beast the Q portion of the GMAT....90% or higher on Q would go a long way towards convincing adcom that your undergrad transcript isn't indicative of your ability to handle rigorous quant work.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/
Admissions Consulting for Veterans, by Veterans

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 18:47
Hello,

I am a transitioning military officer looking to apply to business school in round 2 of this year. Here is a quick look at my profile:

1) Work Experience: I am an Infantry Officer in the US Army. Graduate of Ranger School. Served one year as a Platoon Leader responsible for 35 Soldiers and now serve as the Executive Officer (2nd in command) for a 100-man company. Rated in the top 10% of all Infantry Lieutenants. Will be promoted to Captain after finishing up my 4th year in the Army in May of 2017.
2) GMAT: 690 (86th percentile); Q 44 (54th percentile); V 40 (91st percentile); IR 8 (92nd percentile); AWA awaiting score
3) Undergraduate: University of Virginia; Major in Economics, Minor in Religious Studies; 3.18 GPA (but 2.7 Economics GPA); Graduated in 2013
4) Extracurriculars: President of Theta Chi Fraternity (awarded Greek Man of the Year); President of the Army ROTC Cadet Association; Student Basketball Manager for the UVA Mens Basketball team.
5) Certifications: None; Army badges include Ranger, Airborne, Air Assault and Expert Infantryman Badge.
6) Target Schools: Northwestern, Yale, UVA, Michigan, Cornell, UCLA, Texas, Indiana, Georgetown, USC, Vanderbilt
7) Application: R1 2016-17 (begin school fall of 2017)
8) Future Goals: Interested in Entrepreneurial studies and using my organizational/leadership knowledge to start my own business. Also interested in government consulting.

I am looking for an mba admissions consultant who is familiar with the military and has experience assisting junior military officers applying to business school. I need someone who will help me translate my military experience to success in business school.

Please let me know if you (or a company you know) can help me.

Thanks,
Miles
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 04:27
Submitted at HBS and Booth today. I really liked the variations on the Booth application compared to other schools, including all of the free-text fields. I thought I had a better opportunity to portray my personality.
Current Student
B
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q40 V41
GMAT 2: 670 Q43 V39
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 04:42
fezzcb wrote:

It's possible that the D+ will give them some concern. Are you an academy grad? I think that would help a bit in explaining the grades and the GPA. My grades in these were mostly B's and C's. I have it on good authority from two top 15 adcom reps that taking more classes will not help since the stuff they want to see has already been taken. As stated previously, you need to study the quant and retake GMAT if you're worried about them looking at your quant ability. However, if you're happy with getting into any of the schools on your profile you may want to reach out to the lower ranked school's and see what they think about it, they may not be as worried as you are.
Current Student
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 07:39
ashe99 wrote:
Submitted at HBS and Booth today. I really liked the variations on the Booth application compared to other schools, including all of the free-text fields. I thought I had a better opportunity to portray my personality.

Did you end up doing a powerpoint or essay for Booth?
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 08:01
Dondarrion wrote:
ashe99 wrote:

Did you end up doing a powerpoint or essay for Booth?

I just did an essay. Based on their prompt, I was still able to write something pretty original and specific to the photo. Everyone recommended multimedia, but writing is my strength so I stuck with it. I was more comfortable submitting a solid essay than whatever shoddy slideshow I could have put together.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 16:32
Submitted my ED application to Columbia today. Anyone ahead of me in the process know how schools generally contact you to if you get an interview? Should I expect an email or should I just frequently check the application manager page? I see from the CBS specific thread that it is taking people about a month to hear back about interviews from Columbia.
Current Student
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 12:16
ashe99 wrote:
I just did an essay. Based on their prompt, I was still able to write something pretty original and specific to the photo. Everyone recommended multimedia, but writing is my strength so I stuck with it. I was more comfortable submitting a solid essay than whatever shoddy slideshow I could have put together.

Finally stopped fidgeting with the powerpoint and I submitted the application today.

Now the waiting games begin.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.86
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 13:54
Fidgeting with the application has been my bread and butter this past week. Still waiting for my second recommender before I can hit the button. Which means I just keep wanting to make small, but ultimately insignificant, changes. Anyone else find this process nerve-wracking? Feels like a whole second job...
Current Student
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 14:59
sefienolte wrote:
Anyone else find this process nerve-wracking? Feels like a whole second job...

This is an understatement. I think I reach a point where I just stop looking over it and submit. Hell I only did the two practice questions on Kellogg before I did the video essays - just wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 15:37
Dondarrion wrote:
sefienolte wrote:
Anyone else find this process nerve-wracking? Feels like a whole second job...

This is an understatement. I think I reach a point where I just stop looking over it and submit. Hell I only did the two practice questions on Kellogg before I did the video essays - just wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible.

Ha, that's what I did with the Yale video questions today. I whiffed on one for sure. I prepared for about an hour before knocking out the Kellogg questions a few minutes ago and did much better.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 06:14
I'm looking for some advice as I start preparing for fall 18'. I was an international studies Major with a 2.8 GPA and the most quantitative class I took was Algebra. I know I'm going to need a stellar GMAT score to break into the top 10. Would anyone recommend starting off with a GMAT course, such as Veritas? Or would a better strategy be to develop a baseline befor spending money on a course? If anyone has any advice I'm all ears! Thank you!
Current Student
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 11:57
AFC34545 wrote:
I'm looking for some advice as I start preparing for fall 18'. I was an international studies Major with a 2.8 GPA and the most quantitative class I took was Algebra. I know I'm going to need a stellar GMAT score to break into the top 10. Would anyone recommend starting off with a GMAT course, such as Veritas? Or would a better strategy be to develop a baseline befor spending money on a course? If anyone has any advice I'm all ears! Thank you!

I started from scratch in quant - my last math class was in 2007. I tried several courses but I found that Target Test Prep really worked well for me. The interface is great and they cover every single subject tested. I think I did over 2,000 quant problems on their site as well.

I believe they do a free trial, definitely check them out.
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2017 Applicants! &nbs [#permalink] 23 Sep 2016, 11:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9    Next  [ 161 posts ] 

Calling all US Military Fall 2017 Applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap