Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 14:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 20:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

88% (02:30) correct 13% (03:55) wrong based on 2 sessions
Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved the standard of living around the globe while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago.
A. while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having
B. while at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants that have
C. while they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time, which have
D. but introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time that have
E. but at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [1] , given: 19

Re: SC:Industrialization [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2008, 06:32
This post received
KUDOS
amitdgr wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
paeagain wrote:
Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have improved the standard of living around the globe while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having gone virtually unregulated since they were developed more than 50 years ago.

A. while at the same time they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having
B. while at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants that have
C. while they have introduced some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time, which have
D. but introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants at the same time that have
E. but at the same time introducing some 100,000 dangerous chemical pollutants, having

go with B between A and B.

They is ambigious in A.

Isn't they referring to the compound subject "Industrialization and modern methods of insect control" ??

Plus "have improved" needs "have introduced" to parallel ?

Why cant it be C ? "which" is referring to chemical pollutants because "at the same time" seems to be modifying chemical pollutants..

I am not able to decide between B and C :(

What is the OA ?

This is correct: that they refers to "Industrialization and modern methods of insect control".

"Which" in C is wrongly used.
"Having" in A is wrongly used.
Nothing much to say about D and E.

I think "they" is redundant but understood..

So B.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: SC:Industrialization [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 20:40
paeagain wrote:

They is ambigious in A.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 1

Re: SC:Industrialization [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 21:29
GMAT TIGER wrote:
paeagain wrote:

They is ambigious in A.

Isn't they referring to the compound subject "Industrialization and modern methods of insect control" ??

Plus "have improved" needs "have introduced" to parallel ?

Why cant it be C ? "which" is referring to chemical pollutants because "at the same time" seems to be modifying chemical pollutants..

I am not able to decide between B and C :(

What is the OA ?

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:Industrialization [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 21:48
OA is B
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:Industrialization [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 23:45
paeagain wrote:

While at the same time seemed redundant !! hence opted E
But alass OA is B !!

i dont know how to deal with SC

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:Industrialization [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2008, 07:09
B is correct. I don't know about all of you but I don't go by the rules of grammar at all. In fact, I don't even know more than half the technical things that you all discuss. I am sure when I was in school I read and learnt those things but they have been long forgotten. I simply go by the way I WOULD speak a particular sentence. English is a strange language in a certain sense. What may seem correct in one context may not seem correct in another. The only way to tackle these questions, I think, is to imagine yourself speaking the sentence with your eyes closed and feel if it sounds alright. Now, this may not work for everybody but it does for me.
This particular question, it is my belief, is a perfect example that there are no rules in English (if you know what I mean)!
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 1

Re: SC:Industrialization [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2008, 07:17
KASSALMD wrote:
B is correct. I don't know about all of you but I don't go by the rules of grammar at all. In fact, I don't even know more than half the technical things that you all discuss. I am sure when I was in school I read and learnt those things but they have been long forgotten. I simply go by the way I WOULD speak a particular sentence. English is a strange language in a certain sense. What may seem correct in one context may not seem correct in another. The only way to tackle these questions, I think, is to imagine yourself speaking the sentence with your eyes closed and feel if it sounds alright. Now, this may not work for everybody but it does for me.
This particular question, it is my belief, is a perfect example that there are no rules in English (if you know what I mean)!

You are a LOT like me in this sense :)

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Manager
Manager
Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 68

Premium Member
Re: Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2014, 02:17
I think i can expalin this in much better way

A) Comma + ing modifies the subject. Here the subject is Industrialization and modern methods. Hence wrong.
B) that in Choice B is referring to Pollutants , which is the intended meaning . Hence correct.
C) Which is followed by comma . Which is referring to time . Hence wrong.
D) Here that is referring to Time which is wrong.
E ) Having is Verb-ing modifier modifying the subject Industrialization and modern methods. Hence wrong.

The intended meaning of the sentence was pollutants gone virtually unregulated.

Moderators please correct me if i am wrong.

Please give kudos if i am correct. :)
Re: Industrialization and modern methods of insect control have   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2014, 02:17