Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 20:14 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 20:14
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
IE,    IMD,    
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Imd Vs IE [#permalink]
OK - the advice we're going to offer might be controversial and in fact goes against our own philosophies about education, but we're responding to how you've phrased your question and the elements you're highlighting.

You need to decide why you are going to business school.

Are you going because you want to dive into the academics and learn a bunch of new skills and absorb as much as you can? Do you have plans for really pushing your career in some important new direction, that you need to squeeze everything out of every class possible?

Or are you going because you want to squeeze as much fun out of it as you can? Do you want the social life and the parties and the going out with your friends - along with classes of course, but maybe the new friendships and the network and the overall EXPERIENCE of a year away from the grind of the daily working world is more appealing?

(the fact that your wife may not be joining you... :-D )

Along with YOLO,there's YOGTBSO - You Only Go To BSchool Once (we've been accused of having "OUOA disorder (Over Use of Acronyms))

What are you seeking from the experience?

Once you answer that question then you'll know exactly which school to pick. ;-)

In case that answer was wholly unhelpful, let us know and we'll try to be more forthcoming (but we think you already know the stuff we would say about both of these schools, based on how we just laid out the decision you're making).

Bottom line: You're going to get a GREAT EDUCATION and have a GREAT TIME at either of these schools. The world economy is improving and (fingers crossed) by the time you graduate from either, job prospects will be picking up in Europe - yes, probably still in Spain, too, though they tend to have more protectionist policies and it's always harder for a foreigner to land work there. We can offer more specific observations about what we observed about students at these schools and what we know directly from working with people who got in and are attending - but you're going to be making a good decision at either place. Just figure out what your personal priorities are and then you'll know what to do.

Happy to answer other queries if you have them.
EssaySnark
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks essay snark
However I'm not sure I agree with
Btw I' m doing business school mainly for improving my soft leadership skills (I've more experience than the mean)
I whish different people with experiences on one school or the other may provide an inside view on the program and on all the side elements of that, but I need that view to be fact based and not relying on generic conclusions.
Hope u understand what I mean
Regards
Send PM
Actually we have no idea what you mean - you want other people to share their experiences and you will then take those as FACT?

What we're doing is showing you how to make an important life decision: You need to know what your values are.

Both of these schools are very different experiences - they attract different types of people. Your cohort will be radically different at each. That's what we're communicating to you. If you are unaware of this, then you really haven't done much research. And if this is your first time in reaching out to people who have attended these schools, then that's a little late in your process - not too late, since you still can use that in making this decision, but it seems odd that you aren't already an expert in the cultures and what IMD and IE are like. They really are VERY different. That's what you need to understand and evaluate in order to make the right call for yourself - it comes down to what YOU prioritize right now.

We'll say it again: Everything we're telling you is based on our FIRSTHAND experience in visiting both of these schools - which you apparently have not done - and in working very very closely over many months, in some cases a year, with people who applied and got in and matriculated. We know what these schools are like from a variety of inputs. But it is of course still only an opinion, based on these observations. We did not personally attend either IE or IMD for our MBAs.

If you want data, then you need to be looking at employment reports; that's the only source of "data" we know of at this stage of the process that could factor into anything.

It's an important decision, you're going to be changing the entire trajectory of your future life from this, so we appreciate the gravity of the situation. Good luck and please report back on what you decide!

EssaySnark
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks essaysnark,
I appreciate you shared your point of view.
Exactly, I'd like to hear from whom has attended those schools; the fact they're very different, they attract different kind of people etc..I got that. How do you think you can overcome the interview process if you do not do extensive research about the school?
thanks again and let's see if anybody jumps in this conversation :)
I'll let you know my conclusions.
Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Direstrairs

Based on your rough description, I believe IMD is a perfect choice for you, for several reasons below :

- IMD’s Reputation and brand name > IE’s in general.
- IMD is very strong in general management in industry, delivering the best MBA education quality in Europe.
- IMD’s Leadership development is ranked N°1 in the world, very personal development approach to help you become a well-rounded business leader.
- the average salary base of IMD graduates is the highest in the world (around 103Ke), INSEAD and LBS around 93Keuros, IE around 70Keuros.
- There aren’t a lot of IMD students who start their own entrepreurial project upon graduation. But several years after graduation, the rate/ratio of IMD alumni who set up their own business is higher than other European schools.
- IMD placement statistics are very solid, and career services are the best. Switzerland and Germany are the two countries whose economy goes well at this moment, In contrary, Spain is in crisis. Compared with IE, I believe that you would have a better chance to find a decent job in industry if you go to IMD (even to work outside Switzerland after graduation). Of course, this point is purely based on statistics, it actually depends on individual in reality.
- IMD is a very international business school (98%international students), with divers profiles coming from all over the world; You will not be disappointed by the cultural diversity, background distinction, and the maturity of its students’ body.

Of course, if you want to have a “vibrant” life during your MBA study, I think the champion on this point is INSEAD, famous party school with younger students than you; IE is not known for this. Actually, IMD’s students have their own fun, with lots of beers, even during their busiest days..

The “weak” point of IMD compared with IE is probably that IMD’s study life is tougher than that of IE, even it is the toughest in Europe. but you will be rewarded at the end.

Well, hope my comments could bring some lights for your choice. Good luck !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks justdoitboy,
Your conclusions make perfect sense to me and, indeed, I've chosen IMD. I'll see whether I did the right choice.
Bye

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I am happy for you,
Enjoy your 2014 in Lausanne !
I am in a dilemma to apply to one/two of the following schools and need some help in selecting the right one - HEC Paris, IESE, IE
Post-MBA Career Goal: Management/Tech Consulting
Current Work-Ex: 4 yrs in JP Morgan ( IT)
Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 710
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi guys!
I'm in the same dilemma now.. IMD vs IE.
I know the difference in cohorts and experiences and I've done my research. However, I'm wondering what the general view on each university's placements is currently? And IMD is generally declining in rankings while IE is now in the top 10 in the FT 2017 rankings. How significant is this in the post-graduation employment hunt?

Looking forward to your feedback!

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1127 posts