Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 20:52 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [7]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [1]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT-Sloan Applicants(2015 Intake) -Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey Everyone!

Hope everyone's essays are coming along nicely (you should at least start if you haven't already!!!).

I compiled all the essay analyses (from experts/consultants). A LOT OF good information is out there on how you should approach the essay questions.

Check it out at: https://grantmeadmission.com/2014/07/15/ ... s-updated/
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
MIT Sloan Alum (Class of 2010) here. If you are looking for feedback on Sloan essays - feel free to reach out.

Leah Derus
fxmbaconsulting . com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: 2014 MBA Application is LIVE!
We are excited to announce that our MBA application for entry in fall 2015 is now live!  We know that assembling all of the components of an application takes dedicated time and thought on your part. We have two deadlines to allow you enough time to prepare and to coordinate with recommenders, academic institutions, etc.

Round I September 23rd 3 p.m. (ET)

Round II January 8th 3 p.m. (ET)

Check back for some upcoming insider application tips and insights from our admissions team. You can also read the application instructions that are posted on our website.

We look forward to receiving your applications!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [8]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Also wanted to share specific feedback from Admissions Office and a recent MIT Sloan on the Road event I attended:

- Looking for students who “identify and solve the world’s problems”
- If you are interested in entrepreneurship, want to spend a lot of time in the Martin Trust Center https://entrepreneurship.mit.edu
- Also check out the $100k competition https://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/student-experience/events-and-competitions/100k/
- What we want to see in your application in one word: IMPACT (e.g. how you made it, where you made it, when you made it)
- New second essay is nothing to worry about (usually change something each year) – aligned with professional world i.e. 360º feedback
- Last season approx. one-third to one-half of applicants answered (optional) third essay
- Interview process will be the same as in 2013/14
- Surprisingly, not that many applicants from the UK [following my prompt about being in a large competition pool]
- Keep in touch with us before and after you submit your application → very big on this!

Specific advice for re-applicants:
- Be upfront about it, tell us how you have grown/changed since last time
- Pay close attention to ‘What We Look For‘ https://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/admissions/what-we-look-for/
- Be sure to give specific and detailed examples
- Should be consistent with last time, but think around new answers and try to give a little more information
- Be sure to do the optional (third) essay – can write an essay, post a video, make a slideshow
- We encourage re-applicants (stressed by Admissions and at the event)

Welcome any comments or thoughts
https://topdogmba.com/2014/07/20/think-f ... an-part-2/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Send PM
I'm in for R1! Let's go! Anyone else planning a video for the optional essay?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Send PM
aereed89 wrote:
I'm in for R1! Let's go! Anyone else planning a video for the optional essay?

I'm still thinking about it. It's either going to be a video or a story and link to a website I've developed.

Fyi I was told by the Admissions Director that last season approx. one-third to one-half of applicants answered the optional essay. I can't believe it is such a low number!

Other useful feedback at: https://topdogmba.com/2014/07/20/think-f ... an-part-2/

Originally posted by TopDogMBA on 24 Jul 2014, 02:46.
Last edited by TopDogMBA on 23 Aug 2014, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Tomorrow is August... holy cow
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Almost done with essays... at least for now. LORs on their way. Not looking bad so far, although still plenty of time until sept 23rd.

I have the feeling that the more time you are given (or the earlier you start) the more pressure you have to write great essays...

Good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: MIT Sloan Celebrates Women ‘Breaking the Mold’
I am proud to be part of the accomplished community of women at MIT Sloan. Next week, August 4-7 we will host events to showcase MIT Sloan women who are “Breaking the Mold: stories from MIT Sloan women who have defied expectations and forged their own paths.” Please join us as our events kick off Monday at 10 a.m. (ET) with a Google hangout with me, a couple of my colleagues and current students. Throughout the week we will have alumnae panels in Boston, NYC and San Francisco. We will be tweeting updates so feel free to follow us @MITSloanAdcom #MITSloanWomensWeek

For those of you who are registered, we look forward to meeting you!  If you wish to see the list of events or register for an event click here: https://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/admissions/admission-events/women/

MIT Sloan Women in Management will also be hosting a Women’s Ambassadors Day this fall on Monday, October 27. We look forward to seeing you then: https://www.sloanwomeninmanagement.com

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: 2014 MIT Sloan Master of Finance Application is now available online!
We are happy to announce that our Master of Finance (MFin) application for entry in summer 2015 is now available online; so you can begin uploading your resumes, essays, recommendation letters, transcripts, and test scores. There is one deadline to submit your application: January 5, 2015. 

All applicants will receive their decisions on the same day, March 9, 2015.  The application fee is discounted to $100 If you submit on or before December 1, 2014, and is $150 if you submit after December 1, 2014.

We encourage you to schedule a visit to campus this fall with our MFin Ambassadors Program to get a feel for the MIT Sloan student experience. We also offer in-person events around the globe and online chats.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: 2014 Master of Finance Application is Now Available!
We are happy to announce that our Master of Finance (MFin) application for entry in summer 2015 is now available online; so you can begin uploading your resumes, essays, recommendation letters, transcripts, and test scores. There is one deadline to submit your application: January 5, 2015. 

All applicants will receive their decisions on the same day, March 9, 2015.  The application fee is discounted to $100 If you submit on or before December 1, 2014, and is $150 if you submit after December 1, 2014.

We encourage you to schedule a visit to campus this fall with our MFin Ambassadors Program to get a feel for the MIT Sloan student experience. We also offer in-person events around the globe and online chats.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Send PM
Hi everyone. It's been deadly quiet in here so far - maybe it's a Round 1 thing!?

Anyway, I'd just like to wish everyone good luck and invite you to my place (topdogmba.com) in case you fancy some company - there's a lot of good links to other bloggers too, as well as (arguably) the best dog on the planet!

I'm a regular guy applying to (at least) three b schools in Round 1 and, having done a ton of research, I'm just getting to the essays now. You're not alone in your quest, so let's try to liven things up a bit on gmatclub!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: A Generation of Women Sloanies
This past June I attended my 30th Sloan Reunion where I sat next to Deborah Meyer at a women’s networking event.  Deborah mentioned to me that her daughter Lillian is a current LGO student. As far as I know, there is only one other mother/daughter pair who have matriculated in our MBA program.  I found their story fascinating and want to share their journey:

Deborah Meyer SM ’79, and Lillian Meyer, LGO ’16

Deborah Meyer graduated from Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service in 1976 and worked in economic consulting for a year.  In the spring of 1977 she made the decision to go to MIT Sloan instead of entering the Foreign Service. After graduating with an SM in Management in 1979, she worked at General Motors in Michigan on the manufacturing side and later transferred to New York City to work with their pension fund unit.  Today she is Executive Director, Investment Strategy and Fixed Income at GMIMCo.  Deborah credits her MIT Sloan education in helping advance her career:

The MIT Sloan degree is well regarded.  I feel that my classes in finance were well in advance of financial practice.  Robert Merton taught introductory financial theory; Stewart Myers taught corporate finance.  Above all, my MIT training has helped me think in analytical and quantitative terms.

Deborah’s daughter Lillian graduated from Rice University in 2012 with a B.S. in Civil Engineering and worked for two years as a geotechnical engineer. When she started considering graduate schools, Deborah encouraged her to apply to MIT Sloan for the close-knit community and a first rate education which would mesh well with her background. When she heard about MIT Sloan’s LGO Program that combines a Master’s in Engineering with an MBA, she thought it was a perfect fit: “Together the degrees would provide more career opportunities than each degree individually.”

Lillian visited MIT Sloan for LGO interview fest and the existing students impressed her as “smart, genuine, and funny”. She reports:

When I visited MIT Sloan as a prospective student, students and faculty always commented on the collaborative spirit. The way I have experienced the collaborative spirit has surprised me.   It’s not just students working together to solve a problem set, but building and feeding off of each other’s ideas.  This energy has definitely led to some interesting discussions, and I’m sure it will lead to fascinating business ventures.

Learn more about the LGO Program.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
IN
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: MSMS Application is Now Available Online!
Our Master of Science in Management Studies program (MSMS) application for entry in fall 2015 is now available online! Applications must be submitted by Thursday, January 15, 2015. Our Admissions Team will notify applicants of their decision by April 13, 2015.

In the fall, we are traveling throughout Asia and Europe to host presentations for our MSMS program. Please check back on our events page for details and registration. We encourage you to attend; this is a great opportunity to meet Admissions Representatives and learn more about our specialized masters programs.

We look forward to reviewing your applications and meeting you on the road!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
Send PM
Started writing my first essay!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
cchisme wrote:
Started writing my first essay!

Nice! I'm procrastinating on starting the second essay. This self recommendation topic is tough!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  73   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts