Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT-Sloan Applicants(2015 Intake) -Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Well, I have 4 views from Massachusetts, but I don't think the adcom has viewed my video yet.
For one, the adcoms use iPads, but the video was viewed everytime from a computer. Moreover, an estimated time of only 1 min has been watched (my video is 3 mins). Or maybe they got too bored... :?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
The linkedin URL was not listed as an 'optional' as far as I recall... So I'm surprised that they let you guys submit with the entry blank!

Did anyone have their references contacted? I'm talking about this box:
If you have consulted with any members of the MIT or MIT Sloan communities, indicate their names, MIT/MIT Sloan affiliations, and your relation to them (co-worker, professor, relative, recommender, etc.). Limit of 200 characters.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
pleezy wrote:
The linkedin URL was not listed as an 'optional' as far as I recall... So I'm surprised that they let you guys submit with the entry blank!

I also left it blank...I am pretty sure its optional. I define optional as anything you can leave blank and proceed with the application. :o

I went to an info session and was told they use it to make sure you are really who you say you are. They wanted to see the Linkedin profile somewhat matches the MBA resume.

So for those that didn't fill it in, I don't think it's a big issue. I can't see Sloan dinging someone for not filling in their Linkedin profile.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mrsandoo617 wrote:
pleezy wrote:

I also left it blank...I am pretty sure its optional. I define optional as anything you can leave blank and proceed with the application. :o

I went to an info session and was told they use it to make sure you are really who you say you are. They wanted to see the Linkedin profile somewhat matches the MBA resume.

So for those that didn't fill it in, I don't think it's a big issue. I can't see Sloan dinging someone for not filling in their Linkedin profile.

I second that. It has to be optional. What about those who don't have a LinedIn profile?
And yes, if they can accept people who haven't attempted the optional essay, they surely won't ding someone for leaving the LinkedIn entry blank.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Now that I think about it, I really had no good reason for not giving out my Linkdin profile link.

Anyway, my Sloan "contact", has not been contacted so far.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Anyone have any action on their linkedin or optional essay videos? It appears we will be roughly 2 weeks away from the first wave of invites going out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
RG800 wrote:
Well, I have 4 views from Massachusetts, but I don't think the adcom has viewed my video yet.
For one, the adcoms use iPads, but the video was viewed everytime from a computer. Moreover, an estimated time of only 1 min has been watched (my video is 3 mins). Or maybe they got too bored... :?

Has anyone seen other video essays that people have submitted on Vimeo or youtube? What do you guys think about those?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
mbathisyear wrote:
RG800 wrote:

Has anyone seen other video essays that people have submitted on Vimeo or youtube? What do you guys think about those?

I watched a ton of them. So many of the videos paint such an impressive picture that I wonder if they are just filled with BS.
Pretty much all of them make me feel like a scrub with no chance!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
afletcher wrote:
mbathisyear wrote:
RG800 wrote:

I watched a ton of them. So many of the videos paint such an impressive picture that I wonder if they are just filled with BS.

This comment is kind of heart breaking for all those who have submitted the videos :cry: !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
afletcher wrote:
mbathisyear wrote:
RG800 wrote:

lol @ filled with BS.
U probably didn't see mine. Compared to all the others I've seen I'd say the only thing mine has going is being different. I've stopped looking at other people's videos. Don't wanna make myself lose hope.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: What happens now for Round I MBA Applicants to MIT Sloan?
To those of you who have submitted a Round 1 application to the MIT Sloan MBA Program, thank you. The hard part is over! If you are interested in learning more about the process once you submit your application, this blog is for you.

We have imported all the applications and we will now begin to distribute them to the Admissions Committee members. In “the older days” this process consumed large quantities of paper files. These days, we are focused on sustainability, so this process is now entirely electronic.

The Admissions Committee members are a team of professionals who meet regularly to discuss and calibrate our application evaluations. The MBA application assessment process does not involve faculty, alumni, or students. Our team is excited to begin reading; they are dedicated and prepared to carefully review each application.

The reading and review period will take 4-6 weeks. We will send out Round 1 interview invitations from mid-October through early November. If you are not invited to interview, you will be notified of your decision by mid-November.

As we get closer to sending out interview invitations, I will post a blog with more information about the interview process itself.

Thank you again.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
NaijaMBAgal wrote:
lol @ filled with BS.
U probably didn't see mine. Compared to all the others I've seen I'd say the only thing mine has going is being different. I've stopped looking at other people's videos. Don't wanna make myself lose hope.

I am sure your profile and application is plenty strong enough for MIT, not everyone that Sloan admits has built a nuclear reactor from a lego set or founded Oculus Rift. Just remember that you are really competing with people from your industry, school, geographic location, background, etc and if you are on this site then you have already put in plenty of thought and effort into your application. I viewed the optional essay as a means to add another dimension to ones profile and not necessarily as a highlight reel. I showed my hobby in mine to add flavor to my application, if your video is different from the pack then that may be a good thing.

Where else have people uploaded their videos? I searched Youtube and Vimeo but there appears to be less than 30 videos in total uploaded in the past month for those sites. I would expect to see more than that for Round 1.

Originally posted by UTWrestler on 07 Oct 2014, 18:56.
Last edited by UTWrestler on 08 Oct 2014, 05:30, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
UTWrestler wrote:
NaijaMBAgal wrote:
lol @ filled with BS.

I am sure your profile and application is plenty strong enough for MIT, not everyone that Sloan admits has built a nuclear reactor from a lego set or founded Oculus Rift. Just remember that you are really competing with people from your industry, school, geographic location, background, etc and if you are on this site then you have already put in plenty of though and effort into your application. I viewed the optional essay as a means to add another dimension to ones profile and not necessarily as a highlight reel. I showed my hobby (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) in mine to add flavor to my application, if your video is different from the pack then that may be a good thing.

Where else have people uploaded their videos? I searched Youtube and Vimeo but there appears to be less than 30 videos in total uploaded in the past month for those sites. I would expect to see more than that for Round 1.

I hope it is. Thanks. Mine was uploaded on vimeo I don't know what other platforms were used.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GRE 1: Q800 V760
GPA: 3.76
WE:Sales (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Anyone here with a non-video optional essay? :)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
backspacebar wrote:

I didn't write one. I'm actually surprised that there are so many people that submitted something for the optional essay
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
backspacebar wrote:

Yep. I have a regular essay. Very short. About 200 words.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Alright... my video has been viewed from MA on a Macintosh device.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  73   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts