Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:38 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:General Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Re: 50 prime numbers [#permalink]
'Prime numbers upto 30' is not the same as 'upto 30th prime number.' Just saying.

Sent from my SM-G935F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
iMyself wrote:
No, it doesn't make sense to me because of some confusing suggestions. They are:
1/ you said not to memorize 3 digit prime numbers. And you also said to memorize up to 30th prime number is enough. But, this 30th prime number is still 3 digit prime! Which is confusing, isn't it?

2/ how did you be sure that GMAC will not ask 3 digit primes in the exam directly or indirectly? Can you please show me any evidence regarding THIS 3 digit primes?

3/ i am student trying to take GMAT. You said upto 30th prime number is enough for GMAT but you gave me a list of upto 997 ( also you mistakenly said it is upto 1000. Actually 1000 is NOT equal to 997 :) ! ) your suggestion and writing doesn't have any GOOD combination at all.

Actually, we should "think or calculate twice, and post once!"
Thank you...

Dear iMyself,

I'm happy to respond. :-) I assume you acknowledge the mathematical mistakes in your original post.

1) What I said was that it was important memorize the prime numbers up to 30, that is, the set of prime numbers less than 30. This would be the very small set {2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29}, which includes only 10 prime numbers. That is the list that I would say everyone taking the GMAT needs to know. Then I added, it might be helpful to memorize six more, all the prime numbers up to than 50, which would be the set {2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47}, a set of 15 prime numbers. Not much more than that: certainly three-digit prime numbers are unnecessary.

2) My friend, you are a student. I am GMAT expert and I have explained thousands of GMAT math practice questions. In my wide experience, no official questions depend on having the 3-digit primes memorized. Such questions do not exist, but it's unclear how I would "prove" this absence to anyone. I would say that in a statement of absence, the burden of prove falls on the counterexample. For example, can you find a single official question, in the GMAT OG or from GMAT Prep, that actually depends on such knowledge? Such a question would prove me wrong: I would be quite intrigued to see such a question.

3) What I provided, not for GMAT knowledge, but purely for mathematical reference, was a list of "all the prime numbers up to 1000." As you may realize, 998, 999, and 1000 are not prime numbers, so the list of "all the prime numbers up to 1000" ends at 997. If a GMAT problem talks about prime numbers up to 20, you should understand what this means, the eight primes less than 20, and that the list of course doesn't include 20 itself.

Finally, my friend, I will caution you. The need to prove yourself right in this case has lead to misreadings of what I said, and it has the potential to mitigate against your ability to learn deeply in many instances. All true learning comes from a posture of humility and openness. Furthermore, the ability to admit mistakes demonstrates a person's maturity & security, and allows others to trust and respect him. Some unhealthy messages we get in life seem to suggest that being perfect and never wrong is the only way to get respect, but in fact, we get the most respect in life when we are profoundly comfortable and at peace with our own human fallibility. I am pointing all this out, my friend, precisely because I want to support your deep success as a student of the GMAT and in life.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi everyone. I am so glad that I am a member in this forum. It is so interesting here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
I agree that is not necessary to remember too many prime numbers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Finally, my friend, I will caution you. The need to prove yourself right in this case has lead to misreadings of what I said, and it has the potential to mitigate against your ability to learn deeply in many instances. All true learning comes from a posture of humility and openness. Furthermore, the ability to admit mistakes demonstrates a person's maturity & security, and allows others to trust and respect him. Some unhealthy messages we get in life seem to suggest that being perfect and never wrong is the only way to get respect, but in fact, we get the most respect in life when we are profoundly comfortable and at peace with our own human fallibility. I am pointing all this out, my friend, precisely because I want to support your deep success as a student of the GMAT and in life.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Words that are very well said!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts