Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 04:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to its proponents, a proposed new style of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 21:46
I eliminated A. How can 'a proposed new style' fly? :shock:

I later found it to the be the correct answer.. but my doubt remains..

How can 'a proposed new style' fly? :shock:

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 298 [2] , given: 182

Re: According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 22:14
This post received
KUDOS
How can 'a proposed new style' fly?

Yes Styles can fly. "Style" here means "model".
e.g. New hybrid "model" of Toyota Camry consumes less gas. Similarly this new proposed style of aircraft can fly!

Therefore, A is the correct answer.

Thanks,
PraPon

VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here
Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 279

CAT Tests
Re: According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 23:18
PraPon wrote:
How can 'a proposed new style' fly?

Yes Styles can fly. "Style" here means "model".
e.g. New hybrid "model" of Toyota Camry consumes less gas. Similarly this new proposed style of aircraft can fly!

Therefore, A is the correct answer.

I am still not sure how style can fly. Even if you consider the context or meaning?? :roll:

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: quot;According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 05:40
E. According to its proponents, skimming along the top of the atmosphere makes it possible that a proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.

Is E Wrong only because it changes the meaning?

I find it grammatically correct. Please help..

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 159 [1] , given: 4

Re: quot;According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 06:03
This post received
KUDOS
According to its proponents, skimming along the top of the atmosphere makes it possible that a proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.

Hi Sachin, sort of, the issue is that it doesn't really make sense, the structure means that the 'proponents' must be talking about 'skimming' - highlighted. This is confusing as it's the aircraft that should be being talked about.

I also think there is an issue with 'makes' in this sentence.

Hope that's clear

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: quot;According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 06:08
plumber250 wrote:
According to its proponents, skimming along the top of the atmosphere makes it possible that a proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.

Hi Sachin, sort of, the issue is that it doesn't really make sense, the structure means that the 'proponents' must be talking about 'skimming' - highlighted. This is confusing as it's the aircraft that should be being talked about.

I also think there is an issue with 'makes' in this sentence.

Hope that's clear

James

Thanks James for confirming. What is the issue with ' makes ' ?

So, there's no other grammatical error in the sentence if I am not incorrect.

GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 4

Re: quot;According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 06:15
Hi,

'makes' is present tense, I would think that it would be better to have it in the future/conditional. I.e. Skimming would make it possible for a new aircraft....

It's not the major issue with the sentence though, and could possibly be argued the other way.

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 01:53
uledssul wrote:
According to its proponents, a proposed new style of aircraft could, by skimming along the top of the atmosphere, fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.

A. According to its proponents, a proposed new style of aircraft could, by skimming along the top of the atmosphere, fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.
Everything else seems okay except the colored "its" referring to "a proposed new style". I wasn't sure if "a proposed new style's proponents" makes sense in the context.

B. By skimming along the top of the atmosphere, proponents of a proposed new style of aircraft say it could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.
Meaning distortion. Having "by ~" in the front implies that "skimming ~" is the reason for the proponents' support.

C. A proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours, according to its proponents, with it skimming along the top of the atmosphere.
The colored one sounds like 'skimming ~' is additional information.

D. A proposed new style of aircraft, [color=#0000ff]say its proponents, could[/color] fly between most points on Earth in under two hours because of its skimming along the top of the atmosphere.
S/V agreement error

E. According to its proponents, skimming along the top of the atmosphere makes it possible that a proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours
Missing the subject

I chose A as the answer.

------
How can D have subject verb disagreement when "say" is the verb action attached to "proponents" which is plural.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 2.75
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 282

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 03:26
Salfar wrote:
uledssul wrote:
According to its proponents, a proposed new style of aircraft could, by skimming along the top of the atmosphere, fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.

A. According to its proponents, a proposed new style of aircraft could, by skimming along the top of the atmosphere, fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.
Everything else seems okay except the colored "its" referring to "a proposed new style". I wasn't sure if "a proposed new style's proponents" makes sense in the context.

B. By skimming along the top of the atmosphere, proponents of a proposed new style of aircraft say it could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.
Meaning distortion. Having "by ~" in the front implies that "skimming ~" is the reason for the proponents' support.

C. A proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours, according to its proponents, with it skimming along the top of the atmosphere.

D. A proposed new style of aircraft, [color=#0000ff]say its proponents, could[/color] fly between most points on Earth in under two hours because of its skimming along the top of the atmosphere.
S/V agreement error

E. According to its proponents, skimming along the top of the atmosphere makes it possible that a proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours
Missing the subject

I chose A as the answer.

------
How can D have subject verb disagreement when "say" is the verb action attached to "proponents" which is plural.

I believe that D is wrong because of the unsure antecedent of "its" rather than subject verb agreement

Just move your mouse to the left side pane and click on the kudos button if i helped you in any way :)
ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question | Important links by the ISB ADCOM for applications and interview preparation

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

Re: quot;According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 08:32
Hi,

I dint understood meaning of a sentence.
even proponents can skim or investigate atmosphere and then proposed based on their analysis
or even aircraft can skim through atmosphere.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GPA: 3.11

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 18:47
uledssul wrote:

S/V agreement error

Missing the subject

I chose A as the answer.

How can a new style (of aircraft) fly ????
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GPA: 3.11

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 18:43

D. A proposed new style of aircraft, say its proponents, could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours because of its skimming along the top of the atmosphere.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The ans is A....

How can a new style(of aircraft) fly ??
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 294

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 06:58

Remove the modifier "by skimming..... atmosphere" and the sentence makes sense as per below:

According to its proponents, a proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.Also the "by skimming ...atmosphere" is an adverbial phrase modifying "could"

Proponents are not skimming , it is the aircraft which is skimming.
WITH IT.... with WHAT?........ IT is ambiguous as it can refer to Earth/aircraft.
D. A proposed new style of aircraft, say its proponents, could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours because of its skimming along the top of the atmosphere.
CAUSE = BECAUSE and EFFECT= aircraft could fly..... when it is not required in the original sentence.
E. According to its proponents, skimming along the top of the atmosphere makes it possible that a proposed new style of aircraft could fly between most points on Earth in under two hours.
makes it possible=wordy
ITS is far from its antecedent.

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 08:04

I couldn't choose correct answer because of two doubts.
1> Who is flying ? Aircraft or new style? Sentence says Style.
2> Who is skimming? Proponents or Aircraft? Sentence says Proponents.
3> Is modifier clause 'by skimming along the top of the atmosphere' present at correct place?

Can anyone please help me to analyze the sentence?

Last edited by Narenn on 26 Aug 2013, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
Merged in similar topic. Pls search the forum before posting a new question
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 1071 [2] , given: 118

Re: According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2013, 10:29
This post received
KUDOS
Hi umesh

For your first question: Who is flying ? Aircraft or new style? Sentence says Style.
This sentence uses a rare structure: (noun + preposition) ==> acts as an adjective.
For example: I have a great deal of experience in introducing new products to international markets.
"deal" is a noun. the noun "deal" itself means nothing if it does not have the modifier to know what you're actually talking about (you're talking about "experience").
"a great deal of" = adjective ==> means a lot.

Back to your question, "a new style OF aircraft" follows the same structure. "a new style" can't fly for sure. If you just stop at "a new style", you mean nothing.
"a new style OF aircraft" conveys different meaning. It talks about an aircraft actually. Thus, an aircraft can fly.

For your second question:Who is skimming? Proponents or Aircraft? Sentence says Proponents.
"by skimming...." is modifier ==> It should modify a preceding noun/noun phrase. Because "a new style of aircraft" is actually about the aircraft, thus the aircraft should skim along the top of the atmosphere.

For your third question: Is modifier clause 'by skimming along the top of the atmosphere' present at correct place?
The modifier "by skimming along...." is placed correctly. It modify a preceding noun/noun phrase - "a new style of aircraft".

ANALYZE ALL OPTIONS:

Correct. As stated above.

Wrong. "by skimming" modifies "proponents" <== wrong meaning.

Wrong. "with it skimming" is wrong. It's neither a possessive structure (should be its) nor a modifier ("it" is placed incorrectly).

Wrong. "because of its skimming" is wordier than "by skimming". In addition, the meaning "could fly ...because of its skimming" sounds awkward.

Wrong. "according to its proponents, skimming...." <== it sounds like the proponents of skimming. Hence, the meaning is not clear.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 111

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 10:54
A proposed new style (of aircraft, say its proponents,) could fly between most points........
Development of a hydrogen car can go for 100 miles without refueling....
I hope it reminds us something which we studied in MGMAT SC Chapter 3....Subject and verb make sense together.
C and D out... straight away.
After 4 shots A survived in the end.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: WOULD: when to use?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 62

Re: According to its proponents, a proposed new style of [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2014, 18:47
D is wrong because it changed the meaning of the sentence.

"its skimming along the top of the atmosphere"is a modifier,not a cause-effect.

Hence A is correct although it seemed strange.
Re: According to its proponents, a proposed new style of   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2014, 18:47