Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SMU Cox
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [14]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.75
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: HBS '18 (M$)
Send PM
Re: Calling all McCombs Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
R1 anyone?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GRE 1: Q800 V760
GPA: 3.76
WE:Sales (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
R1!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
R1 - Reapplicant
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
R1 :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
Send PM
Has the online application link been activated? I created my UT EID, but couldn't find any way to access the application.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 504
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
razordude1717 wrote:
Has the online application link been activated? I created my UT EID, but couldn't find any way to access the application.

Same here. I only see 2015 Evening MBA & 2014 Mexico City MBA.

Is the application not up yet?

Also, are the instructions for the letter of recommendation the same as last year?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Mccombs(Texas Austin) Admissions Blog: Managing Your 2015 Application: Acing the First MBA Test
GRE versus GMAT blog. [/*]
[/list]
WORK EXPERIENCE

No minimum number of years is required, but we strongly recommend two years of full-time post-baccalaureate work experience.  Generally, students do better in the program with real-life work experience and can participate in classroom discussions with real context to draw from. The admissions committee considers how your skill set, leadership positions, teamwork and responsibilities relate to your intended course of study as well as your short term and long term career goals, so make it easy for us to follow your journey!

PERSONAL ESSAYS

Unless you write in a daily journal or diary, sitting down to write about yourself can seem like a completely foreign concept and inspires nothing but a bad case of writer’s block.  Your best bet is to answer the question directly, use concrete examples, and illustrate your voice and personality, background, goals and intentions for acquiring an MBA.  The optional essay is a good opportunity for you to address anything not conveyed in the rest of your application: such as academic performance or test scores, or perhaps a personal event/circumstance that you think has an effect on your MBA candidacy.

RESUME

Your resume should be professional and fit on one page unless you have more than 15 years of experience.  Don’t get too creative with formatting either to squish stuff in there (8-point font is hard to ignore…), make sure your work experience is listed in chronological order, includes months and years in the date ranges, and has comprehensible titles and descriptions of duties.  Also your resume is a great place to put your honors, achievements, extra-curricular activities and volunteer organizations.

UNDERGRADUATE AND PREVIOUS GRADUATE EXPERIENCE

This section is pretty straightforward.  We will see your major/minors, cumulative and major GPAs, and transcript grades on your online application.  However, it’s important to take advantage of the personal essays, optional essay, and interview (if one is granted) to explain any moves between schools/majors.  Also, if you already have a Master’s degree, be prepared to answer how you currently use it and why you think getting another one is a value-add for your career.

SERVICE, ACTIVITIES & RECOGNITION

This information is used to provide some personal character to your application.  We ask ourselves, what does this applicant do outside of their professional life?  How did they spend the hours during undergrad when they weren’t spent in class?   Highlight your personal honors and achievements, any non-professional leadership positions in the community and any extra-curricular activities you were involved with in undergrad.

LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION

The first step to acing this part of the application is to pick the right people.  After that, hopefully they will write a stellar letter on your behalf (if the wrong person is chosen, this can seriously backfire.)  We think the best letters are written by current or previous supervisors (team lead, director, manager, etc.) or someone with supervisory oversight of your work.  Their title isn’t as important as their experience in evaluating your performance as a professional.  If you are self-employed or work for a family business, try and avoid asking Mom to write your letter.  Instead, some good alternatives are a client, a professional mentor, accountant or trusted co-worker.  Try and avoid faculty recommendation letters since they tend to focus more on your ability to show up for your class and submit homework on time and don’t really give us the insight we need.

TOEFL/IELTS (ENGLISH PROFICIENCY TEST FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS)

If you are an international student, you’ll undoubtedly have questions about your TOEFL/IELTS score submission.  And yes, we do grant waivers if you meet one of the 3 criteria:

[*]You have lived and worked full-time in the U.S. or in a country where English is the official language for at least two of the past four years (see country list here).[/*]
[*]You hold a masters degree from a college or university located in the U.S. or from a country where English is the official language (see country list here).[/*]
[*]You were educated solely in English for your undergraduate and/or prior graduate degree.[/*]
[/list]
We don’t publish an average TOEFL score since it is such a small statistical subset.  However, the TOEFL score is simply one measure we use to gauge English proficiency ESL course along with your personal essays and in-person interview (if one is granted.)

We hope you find these application tips helpful!  Remember, we are here to help, so please reach out to the McCombs Admissions Committee at TexasMBA@mccombs.utexas.edu or 512-471-7698 for questions or advice on your application.  Happy Applying!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 183
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
In for R1.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Mccombs(Texas Austin) Admissions Blog: You’ve Got Application Questions, We’ve Got Answers
reach us. My phone rang several times while writing this post, so if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got some calls to return.

Hook ‘em!

You Might Also Like:

Recommendation Letter Tips

Advice On Which Round To Apply
Full-Time MBA vs. Part-Time MBA

Write A Successful Application Essay

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Mccombs(Texas Austin) Admissions Blog: Professional or Executive: Which MBA Is Right For You?
Executive MBA class visit or MBA at Dallas/Fort Worth class visit, and visits for the other programs will be up soon.

During the class, you’ll witness the collaborative and team-based environment that’s a big part of the fabric here at McCombs. The questions you should be asking yourself during your visit are: What can I contribute to this conversation? What assets would I bring to my study team?

Texas MBAs are collegial, yet competitive. And the program you join will define your close-knit, professional network while in the program and beyond. Strategic thought about where you begin your relationship with this network may clarify which program is best for you in the here and now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM