Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]
aliorange wrote:
Hey everyone!

I know that to be considered for the meri-based scholarships I must submit my application by early Jan.
If I don't, then I am not eligible to be considered for any merit-based scholarships?
Also, the scholarship is based on academics, work experience and potential leadership skills right?

I'm not sure if I should haste and submit my application before Jan to be considered for the scholarship or I should give up on the scholarship and focus more on my application quality.
What do you guys think?

It's just my opinion... remember that a lot of ppl who believe they have put the best possible work and effort into application still get rejected... so I would recommend putting your best possible work and thus best quality.... but if the $ is the most important (in a case if you cannot attend MBA without scholarship), then sure aim for the Jan deadline... otherwise, make the most beautiful application...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q170 V160
Send PM
Any thoughts on this?

I have included glimpse (one liner) of my backup plan post mba in Optional essay that I have submitted in RD. Does it impact in any negative way? What is the view of you guys on this aspect - in general as well as specific to CBS.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
popov wrote:
Any thoughts on this?

I have included glimpse (one liner) of my backup plan post mba in Optional essay. Does it impact in any negative way? What is the view of you guys on this aspect - in general as well as specific to CBS.

CBS' website mentions the following about the optional essay :

Optional Essay:
An optional fourth essay will allow you to discuss any issues that do not fall within the purview of the required essays.

Your glimpse of your backup plan should have been included in your essay 1 or even essay 3 (center of business, wherein you can talk about how your plan B might also work owing to CBS' center of business location in NYC), the one that talks about Why MBA, Why CBS etc. I do not think you should mention such in your optional essay. Optional essays in general are for specific purposes only. Most candidates talk about some extenuating circumstances/experiences that they could not talk about in any of their other essays (example Wharton only gave 1 essay for why MBA and why Wharton. Nothing was asked about the personal side of things. So I used the optional essay to talk about my international expriences that were not covered in my resume and/or 1st essay).

Some candidates also talk about their low GMAT scores (imbalanced score or low AWA score etc) or even their low GPAs to be frank to the adcoms that low GPA will in no way be representative how that candidate will perform academically.

Hope this helps. All the best for your application.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
GRE 1: Q170 V160
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
popov wrote:
Any thoughts on this?

I have included glimpse (one liner) of my backup plan post mba in Optional essay. Does it impact in any negative way? What is the view of you guys on this aspect - in general as well as specific to CBS.

Optional Essay:
An optional fourth essay will allow you to discuss any issues that do not fall within the purview of the required essays.

Your glimpse of your backup plan should have been included in your essay 1 or even essay 3 (center of business, wherein you can talk about how your plan B might also work owing to CBS' center of business location in NYC), the one that talks about Why MBA, Why CBS etc. I do not think you should mention such in your optional essay. Optional essays in general are for specific purposes only. Most candidates talk about some extenuating circumstances/experiences that they could not talk about in any of their other essays (example Wharton only gave 1 essay for why MBA and why Wharton. Nothing was asked about the personal side of things. So I used the optional essay to talk about my international expriences that were not covered in my resume and/or 1st essay).

Some candidates also talk about their low GMAT scores (imbalanced score or low AWA score etc) or even their low GPAs to be frank to the adcoms that low GPA will in no way be representative how that candidate will perform academically.

Yes, exactly. The intention of optional essay that you have mentioned makes sense. I have talked about 2 of these 3 key points in optional essay : personal exp, low gmat. However, for some reason I included that glimpse ( 1 line out of ~500 in optional essay). Perhaps I could have avoided that one line as well!! Now what was to be done is done. Lets see!!

On other point, if I read your points correctly. You are saying that it is OK to include backup plan in main essays (assuming it fits there)?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
popov wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
popov wrote:
Any thoughts on this?

Optional Essay:

Yes, exactly. The intention of optional essay that you have mentioned makes sense. I have talked about 2 of these 3 key points in optional essay : personal exp, low gmat. However, for some reason I included that glimpse ( 1 line out of ~500 in optional essay). Perhaps I could have avoided that one line as well!! Now what was to be done is done. Lets see!!

On other point, if I read your points correctly. You are saying that it is OK to include backup plan in main essays (assuming it fits there)?

Good question. Talking about a plan B (if it is specifically asked in the question, Stern used to have a plan B essay prompt) makes sense but otherwise it is a double edged sword.

You dont want to come off as a person who doesnt have clear post MBA ST/LT goals. Everyone undertsands that some people change their goals when they start MBAs but for getting in and for getting your admit, talking about a plan B in your essays is not a good strategy, especially when it is not asked.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Any RD applicants who have received interview calls?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
AvgEng wrote:
Any RD applicants who have received interview calls?

Are they calls or are they emails?

Haven't received anything.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Last year the first RD invitations went out on Dec. 4 (Thursday after thanksgiving)... and since timelines have been similar to last year... I imagine we can expect some tomorrow or Thursday!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [3]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Kudos
Interview invite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
AnthonyMason wrote:
Interview invite!

Nice! Were you ED?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Send PM
TheLostOne wrote:
AnthonyMason wrote:
Interview invite!

Nice! Were you ED?

RD applicant. Submitted sometime around 9/18 and received the "we are about to begin reviewing applications" email 2 weeks ago.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
AnthonyMason wrote:
TheLostOne wrote:
AnthonyMason wrote:
Interview invite!

Nice! Were you ED?

RD applicant. Submitted sometime around 9/18 and received the "we are about to begin reviewing applications" email 2 weeks ago.

And so it begins.

Good luck!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
AnthonyMason wrote:
Interview invite!

There you go!! Congratulations on the invite. All the best for your interview.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.48
WE:Public Relations (Other)
Send PM
CONGRATS!!!!

If those of you getting invites wouldn't mind posting the date you submitted your app, that would be most appreciated to those of us waiting and gauging expectations :wink:

Thanks!!

AnthonyMason wrote:
TheLostOne wrote:
AnthonyMason wrote:
Interview invite!

Nice! Were you ED?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
9/24 I think.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: CBS '18 (A)
GPA: 3.56
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
How are people receiving the invites?

Is anything changing on the online application portal?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Send PM
thor5517 wrote:
How are people receiving the invites?

Is anything changing on the online application portal?

I got an email. I'm at work so I haven't logged into the application portal yet.

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  48   49   50   51   52   53   54  ...  78   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts