GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 14:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018

post reply Update application status  
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.95
WE: Consulting (Retail)
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2015, 19:24
Anyone (particularly those who have interviewed) have advice to offer on how to pick your interviewer from the list that CBS offers? Best to go with recent alum vs. more senior alum? Go with someone who will already understand my background/industry from my resume vs. someone who I will get the opportunity to explain it to?
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2015, 19:25
Hmm I was pretty confident on this app compared to others. No invite thus far though!
Current Student
GPA: 3.2
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2015, 20:18
Hi All!
First time on this thread, just wanted to add another data point and say that I got an email tonight inviting me to interview. Submitted RD application on 9/24 :)
Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GRE 1: Q168 V168
GPA: 3.96
WE: Research (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2015, 20:35
Got my RD invite. Boston candidate, submitted app around October 3.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 02:37
Hi,
I applied for ED round and was accepted last month. Now, I have a question regarding background check.
1) I reviewed my application again after submitting a background check and found that there were a little different in my starting salary I filled out last year and this year (I am a re-applicant candidate) because of currency exchange rate. Should I notify them or just leave it?
2) I was charged for just $45 by Re Vera, while I saw some people mentioned that the fee was $75 2 years ago. Do they reduce the fee or $45 is the price for international candidate?

Thank you
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 03:23
Received the invite as well. RD, applied on September 10, from South America.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: Booth '18 (M)
GPA: 3.5
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 06:23
Received invite on Dec. 1st!!
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 08:23
andy3590 wrote:
Anyone (particularly those who have interviewed) have advice to offer on how to pick your interviewer from the list that CBS offers? Best to go with recent alum vs. more senior alum? Go with someone who will already understand my background/industry from my resume vs. someone who I will get the opportunity to explain it to?

CBS asks you to not send out mass emails to all your matched alumni but to wait for a couple of business days to have your interview scheduled.

I went with an relatively older guy as my interviewer and he was not from either my current or post MBA industry as this would have landed me with some pointed questions and as a career changer , it would have been a bit difficult to answer with the specificity required. Going with the 2nd Alumnus was more of a necessity as my 1st interviewer did not reply back to my request email within 2 business days. The 3rd and last option for me was for an alumna who has been working in my post MBA industry for the past 5 years. I personally thought that it might get a bit tricky to choose her as my interviewer.

The primary consideration when selecting the interview is really your personal preference. Think about industry, age, gender, and the like. You know yourself and know your comfort level and how you usually perform with each type of person. If you feel like you usually relate better to people in your approximate peer group, that's a consideration. If you feel like you'd be able to have a lively discussion with someone from your own industry, consider that as well. Look them up and see who you think you'd be best suited to connect with. It's different for everyone, but we all kind of know it when we see it.

The only other way around having more options is to let the interview coordinator know that you would like to request a change of city (somewhere you either can travel to easily or you know you will be going to due to any reason!).

Hope this helps.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 09:24
bSchool2018 wrote:
Received invite on Dec. 1st!!

First time poster here! Just out of interest, when did you apply? My last recommendation was submitted on October 19th (everything else submitted October 8th) and I haven't heard anything yet, so I am just interested in knowing when those who have received invitations applied. Sounds like the most recent application was October 3rd.

Thanks and best of luck to all!
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: CBS '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.56

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 09:48
Hey Everybody,

For people that have interviewed, how did you handle the "why mba?" and "why columbia?" questions. How did you phrase your responses - did you combine them an say here is why i need a mba and here is why cbs is perfect or did you let them ask?

Thanks!!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
WE: Project Management (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 09:54
thor5517 wrote:
Hey Everybody,

For people that have interviewed, how did you handle the "why mba?" and "why columbia?" questions. How did you phrase your responses - did you combine them an say here is why i need a mba and here is why cbs is perfect or did you let them ask?

Thanks!!

For the why MBA? use your standard answer that you think works for you.

For Why Coulumbia? you must be very specific - During my answer..I used some points from the Why MBA and my interviewer did not seem interested there and even said "that stuff applies to more schools..why specifically Columbia!"

Hope that helps
Current Student
S
Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 09:58
thor5517 wrote:
Hey Everybody,

Thanks!!

That totally depends on whether your interviewer will ask these questions separately or as a 2 part question. WHY MBA should focus on your LT/ST goals and ending with 1-2 sentences about why/how Columbia is going to help you in achieving those.

For Why Columbia, you need to be very specific about your approach. I followed the routine of 1-2 sentences about my LT/ST goals. Followed up with 1-2 examples from in-class activities (courses/professors), in class experiential opportunities (seminars, executives in residence etc etc), out of class interactions (via clubs/groups) and finally personal development avenues by being in NYC.

Waiting for a particular question to be asked is a strategy that might backfire. But these 2 questions are the essence of any bschool interview. If you feel you have already spoken about certain things before and are afraid about sounding repetitive, try to come up with different examples but you can still keep the same themes (in class, exp. opps., clubs etc).

Also, make sure to not bore the interviewer with too many specifics. Keep your answers of medium time frame (1.5-3.5 minutes). I agree with the poster above as my interviewer cut me short once while I was talking about Why Columbia after just a minute or so by telling me that 'he knows I have done my homework'. So be prepared for such a scenario.

But if you still feel you missed out on a few important aspects from your application, you will still have 1 final chance to summarize everything for the interviewer (albeit succinctly) at the end when the interviewer asks you "is there anything you would want to mention (at the end)..."

Hope this helps.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 10:09
Engr2012 wrote:
thor5517 wrote:
Hey Everybody,

Thanks!!

That totally depends on whether your interviewer will ask these questions separately or as a 2 part question. WHY MBA should focus on your LT/ST goals and ending with 1-2 sentences about why/how Columbia is going to help you in achieving those.

For Why Columbia, you need to be very specific about your approach. I followed the routine of 1-2 sentences about my LT/ST goals. Followed up with 1-2 examples from in-class activities (courses/professors), in class experiential opportunities (seminars, executives in residence etc etc), out of class interactions (via clubs/groups) and finally personal development avenues by being in NYC.

Waiting for a particular question to be asked is a strategy that might backfire. But these 2 questions are the essence of any bschool interview. If you feel you have already spoken about certain things before and are afraid about sounding repetitive, try to come up with different examples but you can still keep the same themes (in class, exp. opps., clubs etc).

Also, make sure to not bore the interviewer with too many specifics. Keep your answers of medium time frame (1.5-3.5 minutes). I agree with the poster above as my interviewer cut me short once while I was talking about Why Columbia after just a minute or so by telling me that 'he knows I have done my homework'. So be prepared for such a scenario.

But if you still feel you missed out on a few important aspects from your application, you will still have 1 final chance to summarize everything for the interviewer (albeit succinctly) at the end when the interviewer asks you "is there anything you would want to mention (at the end)..."

Hope this helps.

Thanks both of you for the above responses. Engr 2012 - did you combine all of yours into one answer, (St &lt, classes, seminars, clubs/groups) - seems like that weould be hard to keep under 3 minutes, or were you asked specifics? I want to avoid just rattling of classes for the sake of it.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 10:10
Also sorry but one quick follow up question. If I am meeting my interviewer at a cafe in a fancy hotel any advice on what to wear, is a suit too much?

Thanks!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.65
WE: Law (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 10:23
thor5517 wrote:
Also sorry but one quick follow up question. If I am meeting my interviewer at a cafe in a fancy hotel any advice on what to wear, is a suit too much?

Thanks!

It's a business school interview, you should absolutely wear a suit.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 10:30
Unless otherwise noted. Happened in one of my other interviews!
Current Student
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 10:35
thor5517 wrote:

Thanks both of you for the above responses. Engr 2012 - did you combine all of yours into one answer, (St &lt, classes, seminars, clubs/groups) - seems like that weould be hard to keep under 3 minutes, or were you asked specifics? I want to avoid just rattling of classes for the sake of it.

Exactly. I made sure to quote 1 example each, not too detailed but enough to generate some curiosity (this will then perhaps lead to another question and then you can elaborate).

For WHY Columbia, the interviewer did not let me go further than group activities/experiential opportunities. So I improvised and added the personal growth and other networking aspects of Why Columbia into the question "WHY NYC" that he asked me after WHY MBA and WHY CBS.
Current Student
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 11:27
thor5517 wrote:

Thanks!

You can never go wrong with a suit for an interview.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GPA: 3.95
WE: Consulting (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 13:42
deerhunter wrote:
thor5517 wrote:

Thanks!

It's a business school interview, you should absolutely wear a suit.

I actually disagree here, I think it depends on the setting/interviewer. For one of my interviews where it was a recent alum meeting me in a coffee shop, I wore a sport coat and khakis, because I I would look way out of place in a suit. When interviewer showed up wearing very casual clothes, I knew I made the right call. Dressing well means dressing appropriately for a setting/occasion, and it is definitely possible to over dress and look silly. Same way I feel about people who wear a suit to a job where everyone else is business casual. You just stick out in a bad way....

That being said, if I was going to an Alum's office, or if it were an older alum, I would definitely wear a suit.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 14:13
All quiet today?
Re: Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018 &nbs [#permalink] 02 Dec 2015, 14:13

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  50   51   52   53   54   55   56  ...  78    Next  [ 1549 posts ] 

Calling all CBS Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2018

post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap