Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 03:28
I took my GMAT 6 years ago (so now out of date unfortunately) and I got 710 the first time. I was trying for the best schools (e.g. HBS) so felt I probably needed a stronger score. But I was a bit foolish in deciding I'd try to re-sit, instead of focusing time on writing my admissions essays and preparing a strong application. When it came to my GMAT re-sit I was exhausted, bored of the GMAT questions and hadn't made any noticeable improvement on my practice tests. I ended up leaving the test half way through because I felt as though I'd already messed up the first batch of questions - and didn't want to score lower than my first 710 attempt! My advice: don't re-sit unless you REALLY need to...
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 00:51
I spotted this post right in time as I am planning to retake the GMAT.

Thanks for the great post!
Stanford Thread Master
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2010, 02:14
thanks a lot for the great post :).
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 19:51
Nice thread !!thanks BB!

Welcome to my paintings website - Wholesale Art Mall.

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 13:57
Hi BB,

Came to know about this forum and joined few days back. Briefly to tell you about myself, i have 10 years of experience in Sales and Marketing with brands like Yonex and Adidas. Very casually took GMAT in 2008 and scored measily 480 (Q42, V16). Though doing well in current organization in terms of profile, having pan india responsibility, want to make up the time wasted in past few years and climb up the ladder fast. Want to join 1 of these 3- NUS, ISB, INSEAD to prop up my career graph. That's why re-started preparation again since May'2010 and want to meet the 15th Sept deadline of R1 ISB.

Bit about my preparation books(in that order)-
1)Princeton Review
2)OG11
3) Kaplan Premier
4) Kaplan 800

Yesterday gave GMAT Prep 1 - score was 680 (q 47, v 37)

MY QUESTIONS -

1) I did 13 ques wrong in quant still why the score is 47
2) Out of 13, 6 were v. silly mistakes, 4 guessed in the end (which later was able to solve), 2 tough ques and 1 from Co-ordinate, which i have not covered
3) How to deal with these 6 silly mistakes, which i am regularly doing in quant, same thing happens when i give paper test (with time constraint) and happening for long now, do not know how to fix.
4) Probability, Co-ordinate and tough ques of P&C, i am not able to cover, how can this effect my score
5) RC - Was very poor few days back, but started doing atleast 3 (only tough) RC passages everyday and error rate has gone down and in yesterday test not a single RC ques was wrong, want to continue with this strategy till exam date
6) CR - Feel i am naturally good in this but recently through blogs came to know actual CR ques can really be killing. As far OG CR/Kaplan CR is concerned, i feel very comfortable. 3 ques wrong in yesterday Prep
7) SC - Had no clue about this section when started preparation but over a period of time through learning curve, prepared some notes and now can identify most of the errors. Error rate is only 20% in 1000SC material, but surprisingly did 8 SC ques wrong in yesterdays PREP, out of which 4 was really silly realized solving later.
8) Planning to take a date of 31st Aug, please comment on the situation.
9) Unless you really press hard to change the date, would not like to shift as i have worked hard since last 3 months and do not want my family and work to suffer any further. In case you think still the date can be best utilized, what should be my next course of action for next 1.5 week.
10) Next week i am planning to take off from work
11) My plan is to give 2 MGMAT, 2 PRINCETON, 2KAPLAN, 2 GMAT PREP and in that order in these 11 days along with notes and formula revision, kindly comment/suggest
12) 1 test everyday from tomorrow till test day will harm anyways?
13) How can i use this forum in the best possible manner till then,

Kindly reply, will wait anxiously for the revert and ASAP

Thanks and Regards,

a2b
Manager
Manager
Status: He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 01:31
Hello Seniors,

Today I gave my real GMAT and scored 470( Q36, V19). This score is far behind expected score of my dream college. I am targeting 700 + . considering the fact I am 100 % dedicated for my second attempt and can devote 100% time, can you please advise when should I retake the exam?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
PositiveSoul
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Technical support
WE 2: software testing

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 02:29
hi ppl ,

i have been trying to give the gmat for a while now......

my first attempt at gmat prep was 640 but after a month of study i got a 610 at gmat prep 2 so i am a little freaked out as my paper is on the 31st aug 2010 ..should i postpone my test......???? i need a 690

Cheers
Current Student
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 55

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 12:53
Hi all,

This is my first post!

Two days ago I retook the GMAT and got a 680 (42 Q, 61%ile; 41 V, 92%ile). I was pretty disappointed since the first time I got a 690 (48 Q, 70 something percentile; 36 V, 80 something percentile) and I was hoping for at least a 710. :x I've been using some gmat club tests, Veritas Prep tests and the practice tests/book from the GMAT/GMAC.

Should I take it again? I'm not applying for another year or two so I do have the time. (but I hate the $250 and the amount of time I put into studying that could be spent on other things).

I am hoping to apply to UCLA, USC, Yale, and other schools ranked from 5-20 (haven't decided yet). Do things like being a female and coming from a different background really help?

Any advice?

Thanks in advance! :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 14:02
I have a question about retaking/score reports. I took my test 3 years ago and got a 690. I was happy with it so I didn't retake, but now all the GMAT averages have continually gone up so I might retake it. So far on my practices though, I'm not doing any better so I don't want to do worse as others have mentioned as well. If I send schools my score report now, before retaking, would they see if I have another test date scheduled? I'm thinking of being a little sneaky and sending my score report now, and then retaking and if I do better then I would obviously send another score report. I just don't want to do worse than I did 3 years ago.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8193 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 23:00
Expert's post
bruinboi wrote:
I have a question about retaking/score reports. I took my test 3 years ago and got a 690. I was happy with it so I didn't retake, but now all the GMAT averages have continually gone up so I might retake it. So far on my practices though, I'm not doing any better so I don't want to do worse as others have mentioned as well. If I send schools my score report now, before retaking, would they see if I have another test date scheduled? I'm thinking of being a little sneaky and sending my score report now, and then retaking and if I do better then I would obviously send another score report. I just don't want to do worse than I did 3 years ago.

Hi! Sorry for the delay. Did not see a notification come in.
They won't see a scheduled test on it. However, 690 is very good. There is some mental thing about 700, I agree, it is a score that's stronger by more than 10 points but not sure that it's worth retaking.

Most (99%) schools don't care if you retake multiple times and if the second time is lower than the first.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 23:03
Expert's post
lfa wrote:
Hi all,

This is my first post!

Two days ago I retook the GMAT and got a 680 (42 Q, 61%ile; 41 V, 92%ile). I was pretty disappointed since the first time I got a 690 (48 Q, 70 something percentile; 36 V, 80 something percentile) and I was hoping for at least a 710. :x I've been using some gmat club tests, Veritas Prep tests and the practice tests/book from the GMAT/GMAC.

Should I take it again? I'm not applying for another year or two so I do have the time. (but I hate the $250 and the amount of time I put into studying that could be spent on other things).

I am hoping to apply to UCLA, USC, Yale, and other schools ranked from 5-20 (haven't decided yet). Do things like being a female and coming from a different background really help?

Any advice?

Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back.
I would not recommend it. Your first score is very good and is on par with averages at the schools you are applying to. I would not worry about retaking.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 23:04
Expert's post
nipuns wrote:
hi ppl ,

i have been trying to give the gmat for a while now......

my first attempt at gmat prep was 640 but after a month of study i got a 610 at gmat prep 2 so i am a little freaked out as my paper is on the 31st aug 2010 ..should i postpone my test......???? i need a 690

Cheers

When is your test? GMAT Prep is accurate, so you probably should...

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 23:07
Expert's post
amit2bose wrote:
Hi BB,

Came to know about this forum and joined few days back. Briefly to tell you about myself, i have 10 years of experience in Sales and Marketing with brands like Yonex and Adidas. Very casually took GMAT in 2008 and scored measily 480 (Q42, V16). Though doing well in current organization in terms of profile, having pan india responsibility, want to make up the time wasted in past few years and climb up the ladder fast. Want to join 1 of these 3- NUS, ISB, INSEAD to prop up my career graph. That's why re-started preparation again since May'2010 and want to meet the 15th Sept deadline of R1 ISB.

1)Princeton Review
2)OG11
3) Kaplan Premier
4) Kaplan 800

MY QUESTIONS -

2) Out of 13, 6 were v. silly mistakes, 4 guessed in the end (which later was able to solve), 2 tough ques and 1 from Co-ordinate, which i have not covered
3) How to deal with these 6 silly mistakes, which i am regularly doing in quant, same thing happens when i give paper test (with time constraint) and happening for long now, do not know how to fix.
4) Probability, Co-ordinate and tough ques of P&C, i am not able to cover, how can this effect my score
5) RC - Was very poor few days back, but started doing atleast 3 (only tough) RC passages everyday and error rate has gone down and in yesterday test not a single RC ques was wrong, want to continue with this strategy till exam date
6) CR - Feel i am naturally good in this but recently through blogs came to know actual CR ques can really be killing. As far OG CR/Kaplan CR is concerned, i feel very comfortable. 3 ques wrong in yesterday Prep
7) SC - Had no clue about this section when started preparation but over a period of time through learning curve, prepared some notes and now can identify most of the errors. Error rate is only 20% in 1000SC material, but surprisingly did 8 SC ques wrong in yesterdays PREP, out of which 4 was really silly realized solving later.
9) Unless you really press hard to change the date, would not like to shift as i have worked hard since last 3 months and do not want my family and work to suffer any further. In case you think still the date can be best utilized, what should be my next course of action for next 1.5 week.
11) My plan is to give 2 MGMAT, 2 PRINCETON, 2KAPLAN, 2 GMAT PREP and in that order in these 11 days along with notes and formula revision, kindly comment/suggest

Thanks and Regards,

a2b

Wow - sorry for missing this one. I think your test is today, is that right?
How did you do?

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 05:00
Took the GMAT today and goofed up big time. Last two GMAT prep practice tests I took, I got 680 and 700. Before that I took a few of the MGMAT tests and got score between 580 to 700. the last few were 680, 580 and 700.

I thought I was getting to my target of 700 because everyone says the GMAT prep exams are most accurate.

However today I goofed up. I was going fine with the timing and had 13 sums with about 24 mins remaining and then suddenly I had 10 sums and 10 mins remaining. The sums towards the end were of a higher difficulty level and I was getting anxious to finish on time. I still was not able to complete 3 sums. I ended up with a score of 39

The difficulty level in English was much more than in the practice tests. In fact a little more than the MGMAT tests, where I have scored above 40 on a few occasions. In the actual GMAt today I got a 35.

My total score was 620, much less than the 700 score I thought I was ready for.

Should I take the GMAT again?? Have the difficulty levels in the GMAT suddenly gone up?? Its quite depressing to see this result after weeks of studies.
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 05:03
bb wrote:
amit2bose wrote:
Hi BB,

1)Princeton Review
2)OG11
3) Kaplan Premier
4) Kaplan 800

MY QUESTIONS -

Thanks and Regards,

a2b

How did you do?

Yeah how did it go? Mine was horrible!
Current Student
GMAT 1: Q V0
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 55

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 07:53
bb wrote:
lfa wrote:
Hi all,

This is my first post!

Any advice?

Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back.
I would not recommend it. Your first score is very good and is on par with averages at the schools you are applying to. I would not worry about retaking.

Thanks bb!
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 02:25
bb wrote:
amit2bose wrote:
Hi BB,

1)Princeton Review
2)OG11
3) Kaplan Premier
4) Kaplan 800

MY QUESTIONS -

Thanks and Regards,

a2b

How did you do?

Hi BB,

Thanks for getting back, thought will not get any feedback/suggestion over this.

Coming back to prep, feeling like stupid to state that i was completely unaware of the fact that R1 deadline of ISB has changed from 15th sept to 30th aug (same came to know from this forum only) felt like no point in rushing the test and also the application part, which is equally important. Planning to give it know in the first week of Oct.

CURRENT SCENARIO -
1) Doing 2-3 passages (tough ones from 1000 RC) everyday
2) Doing 10-15 ques of SC, which i did wrong from 1000 SC, Kaplan, OG11 and 12, Manhattan
3) Will buy MGMAT CR (as suggested in this forum) and do 10-15 CR ques everyday.
4) For PS and DS doing mixed ques (700-800 level ques) from one book

WANT TO KNOW -
1) Any suggestion/changes to make/inputs/addition to make in this prep plan till test week
2) Planning to give 10-12 online test till test week, which ones to give and in what order?
3) How many tests per week is ideal
4) After referring few books unable to understand 3 topics co-ordinate, prob and function + not very comfortable with tricky P&S ques, how to fix this
5) Ans of ques 1, 3 and 13 from previous blog

Thanks,

a2b
Intern
Intern

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 16:01
thks. a nice thread^^
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 08:58
Thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 22:13
Hi all!

I took the GMAT yesterday and got 720. While my score is pretty good the split is not that great Q: 47 (77%) and V: 41 (92%). I know that it is recommended to have at least 80% in Q and V so I'm worried that my 77% may become a problem. Also, I scored 730 on GMAT prep 1 (Q:50) and 710 on GMAT prep 2 (Q:49).
Another problem is that the R2 deadlines are approaching and I need to start working on the essays. bb, I think you advised someone to retake the GMAT but to spend 95% of the time on applications and preparing for GMAT by only taking practice tests on weekends until the day of the test. Is that something you would recommend for me too?
One last question. When I took the GMAT yesterday I entered my 5 top schools that I want to apply to and that are going to receive my score. If I retake the GMAT but without entering any schools before I take the test, non of the 5 schools that I picked the first time are going to receive the second score unless I choose to send them a report, right?

Thanks in advance!

GMAT: 720 Q47 V41 / TOEFL iBT: 118

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2010, 22:13