Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 23:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Aaron will jog home at x miles per hour and then walk back

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Aaron will jog home at x miles per hour and then walk back [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2005, 15:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (02:55) correct 23% (02:41) wrong based on 84 sessions
Aaron will jog home at x miles per hour and then walk back home on the same route at y miles per hour. How many miles from home can Aaron jog so that he spends a total of t hours jogging and walking?

A. xt/y
B. (x+t)/xy
C. xyt/(x+y)
D. (x+y+t)/xy
E. (y+t)/x-t/y
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 10 Apr 2012, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question and added the OA
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3233

Kudos [?]: 22230 [3] , given: 2601

Re: Aaron will jog home at X miles per hour and then walk back [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2012, 03:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mymbadreamz wrote:
I'm lost with this question too. Can someone please explain? thanks!

Aaron will jog home at x miles per hour and then walk back home on the same route at y miles per hour. How many miles from home can Aaron jog so that he spends a total of t hours jogging and walking?
A. xt/y
B. (x+t)/xy
C. xyt/(x+y)
D. (x+y+t)/xy
E. (y+t)/x-t/y

Algebraic approach:

Say the distance Aaron jogs is d miles, notice that the distance Aaron walks back will also be d miles (since he walks back home on the same route).

Next, total time t would be equal to the time he spends on jogging plus the time he spends on walking: \frac{d}{x}+\frac{d}{y}=t --> d(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y})=t --> d=\frac{xyt}{x+y}.

Answer: C.

Number picking approach:

Say the distance in 10 miles, x=10 mile/hour and y=5 mile/hour (pick x and y so that they will be factors of 10).

So, Aaron spends on jogging 10/10=1 hour and on walking 10/5=2 hours, so total time t=1+2=3 hours.

Now, we have that x=10, y=5 and t=3. Plug these values into the answer choices to see which gives 10 miles. Only answer choice C fits: \frac{xyt}{x+y}=\frac{10*5*3}{10+5}=10.

Answer: C.

Note that for plug-in method it might happen that for some particular number(s) more than one option may give "correct" answer. In this case just pick some other numbers and check again these "correct" options only.

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22230 [1] , given: 2601

Re: Aaron will jog home at x miles per hour and then walk back [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ENAFEX wrote:
I got the Distance as \frac{2XYt}{X+Y}

The logic I used was to find the average rates and then multiple it by time,t.

Average rates = \frac{2ab}{a+b}

where, a and b are the two given rates X and Y.

So, D= \frac{2XY}{X+Y}*t

What is the mistake here?

Not sure what are you doing in you solution. Why do you have 2 there? How did you get that the average rate is 2xy(x+y)?

Here is proper algebraic approach once more:

Say the distance Aaron jogs is d miles, notice that the distance Aaron walks back will also be d miles (since he walks back home on the same route).

Next, total time t would be equal to the time he spends on jogging plus the time he spends on walking: \frac{d}{x}+\frac{d}{y}=t --> d(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y})=t --> d=\frac{xyt}{x+y}.

Please study it and tell me if you see a problem there.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22230 [1] , given: 2601

Re: Aaron will jog home at x miles per hour and then walk back [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 20:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ENAFEX wrote:
Average Rate=\frac{total distance}{total time}
Total Time= \frac{d}{a}+\frac{d}{b}
Average Rate= \frac{d+d}{\frac{d}{a}+\frac{d}{b}}
= \frac{2d}{\frac{d(a+b)}{ab}}
=\frac{2ab}{a+b}

something similar to the problem below.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/average-rate-on-round-trip-85218.html

I see. The point is that \frac{2xyt}{x+y} is the total distance, meaning that it's the distance for the round trip and we are asked to find only one way distance (how many miles from home can Aaron jog), which would be half of this value so \frac{xyt}{x+y}.

Hope it's clear.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2005, 15:33
i dont know is this is a right approach...but try by plugging numbers
Let the total distance be : 100 km
Hypothetical
Speed Time (hrs)
Jogs : 50 kmph (X) 2
Walks : 20 kmph (Y) 5
------
7 (T)

try plugging in numbers...the ans should be 100
only XYT/(X + Y) = 100

hey! am just too absurd in my reasoning !!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2005, 15:38
JUST BEING A BIT MORE CLEAR HERE...
i dont know is this is a right approach...but try by plugging numbers
Let the total distance be : 100 km
Hypothetical
Speed
Jogs : 50 kmph (X)
Walks : 20 kmph (Y)

Time
Jogs : 2 hrs
Walks : 5 hrs
------
Total : 7 hrs (T)

try plugging in numbers...the ans should be 100
only XYT/(X + Y) = 100

hey! am just too absurd in my reasoning !!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2005, 17:48
Is there another way to do this?? How does OG solve it ?

Thanks
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2005, 05:50
OA is C.

Here's how the OG solves it:

Add in the extra variable J to represent the # of hours Aaron spends jogging. Therefore,

XJ=distance jogged
Y(T-J)=distance walked

XJ=Y(T-J)
XJ=YT-JY
XJ + JY= YT
J(X+Y)=YT
J=YT/(X+Y)

# of miles he can jog is XJ therefore sub in YT/(X+Y) for J

=XYT/(X+Y)

I like the picking #'s approach better. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 45

Reviews Badge
Re: Aaron will jog home at X miles per hour and then walk back [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 20:01
I'm lost with this question too. Can someone please explain? thanks!

http://mymbadreamz.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Aaron will jog home at x miles per hour and then walk back [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 07:23
I got the Distance as \frac{2XYt}{X+Y}

The logic I used was to find the average rates and then multiple it by time,t.

Average rates = \frac{2ab}{a+b}

where, a and b are the two given rates X and Y.

So, D= \frac{2XY}{X+Y}*t

What is the mistake here?

My First Blog on my GMAT Journey

Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Aaron will jog home at x miles per hour and then walk back [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 16:35
Average Rate=\frac{total distance}{total time}
Total Time= \frac{d}{a}+\frac{d}{b}
Average Rate= \frac{d+d}{\frac{d}{a}+\frac{d}{b}}
= \frac{2d}{\frac{d(a+b)}{ab}}
=\frac{2ab}{a+b}

something similar to the problem below.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/average-rate-on-round-trip-85218.html

My First Blog on my GMAT Journey

Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached

Re: Aaron will jog home at x miles per hour and then walk back   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2012, 16:35